will the yourockguitar.com guitar work with rb3?

esquehillesquehill Rising Star
edited June 2013 in Rock Band
if so, on which consoles??

//www.yourockguitar.com/products/you-rock-guitar"]http://www.yourockguitar.com/products/you-rock-guitar[/URL]

Anyone tried this product?

Comments

• mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I haven't heard anyone anywhere say anything negative about the YRG and I've heard dozens of people sing its praises, including Joe Rybicki, editor of PlasticAxe.com and amatuer guitarist IRL, who played with one at E3. From his comments on this page:
    As surprised as I am to say it, I loved playing this thing. The rubberized faux-strings on the fretboard felt natural and realistic, making it seem almost as if I was playing a real guitar with the action set impossibly low...it’s as realistic as I imagine you can get without moving to a fully stringed controller.
    Damn--I forgot about CES, and NAMM show (National Association of Music Merchants) which follows soon behind. Those'll keep Kevin Kent very busy for a while, so I can expect a long wait for a response from him. Oh well; it's not as if I have to buy the thing right away.
    edited January 2011
    YRG news from CES, from this blog piece:
    Elion announced the following new line-up:

1) You Rock Digital free Firmware Upgrade, Version 2.0 for You Rock Guitar

Access downloadable sounds and loops from the You Rock Shop™: (For more information see You Rock Shop below.) Rock Band™3 enabled (needs Mad Catz® MIDI Pro-Adapter™ available for Xbox Box 360®, Wii™ and Play Station®3).
    (Available now, free through March 31, 2011)
    I'd really like to get my $58 back and I suspect that the only way I'm getting it (if I get it) is as a discount on merchandise. As I stated above, the guy I've been working this issue with probably won't be available to deal with it until some time in February. This news, however, sorely tempts me to just buy it. I've been tracking this thing since 11/09 and as I said above the only thing that's stopped me from buying was that news about RB3 pro mode surfaced before they shipped. (Also, there's no Xbox console adapter, but at this point I'd never use it for 5-lane anyway). $200, plus $40 for a MIDI Pro Adapter. (Right now they're still running a holiday offer in which you get their $30 gig-bag for free with an order for the instrument).

That "(Available now, free through March 31, 2011)" makes it sound as though they plan to charge for the update after March, but I suspect that's a misunderstanding. The update isn't mentioned on their website yet but it sounds as though you don't see available updates until you plug the instrument via USB into your computer and run their updater software.

Maybe I'll just wait, at least until I hear what people have to say about how well the update works with pro guitar.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I'm interested, but will wait. They sure as heck better not expect people to pay for a firmware update considering that the hardware itself is not exactly cheap, and their other firmware updates appear to be free. That would be a dealbreaker for me, and I'll bet I'm not alone.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited January 2011
    raynebc;4240373 said:
    In the case of the number of frets, they should probably send the Mustang's keep alive signal so that charts could be 100% playable. Or make it a user option or separate flex card or whatever.
    That'd kind of be impossible, since it's being fed through the MIDI Pro adapter. It was a point of discussion before this post, too.
    mikeyts;4249545 said:
    YRG news from CES, from this blog piece:
    That "(Available now, free through March 31, 2011)" makes it sound as though they plan to charge for the update after March, but I suspect that's a misunderstanding. The update isn't mentioned on their website yet but it sounds as though you don't see available updates until you plug the instrument via USB into your computer and run their updater software.

Maybe I'll just wait, at least until I hear what people have to say about how well the update works with pro guitar.
    Intriguing. I'm not sure if they'll charge for updates, but at the same time odds are all YRGs out on the market by that time will probably have the new firmware installed anyway.

What I find nice about this is that their firmware-upgrade solution means you don't need one of those external carts--and that you can also play on the Xbox, since they don't have to worry about the Xbox controller circuitry.

I played around on a YRG once and found it extremely awesome. I think I prefer it to the Mustang, but hell, I'm having fun on the Mustang anyway, so nothing lost.
  • tmcd35tmcd35 Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Well, I had promised to keep this thread updated and it looks like mikeyts found out the big news before I did, nice one mate! Closest I've got is a semi official announcement, okay a comment, over on the YRG forums.

I did get a reply back from HMX on the subject though - "We don't have any plans to license any more [fender/mustang] pro instruments in the foreseeable future". I recon they have an exclusivity deal with Fender/Mad Catz. I hope this doesn't cause any problems for YRG.

Back to the YRG announcement, and there are a couple of interesting things announced -

= YouRock Shop with downloadable guitar sounds :D
    = YouRock Network with guitar tabs to learn your favourite songs :D

I think I made the right buying decision when I picked up the YouRock. I'm off to patch it up to v2.0. If it patches I'm buying a Mad Catz Midi adapter today. I'll let y'all know how I get on and how well it works.

EDIT: There was an update for my guitar but only to version 1.149, so it looks like Mad Catz are denied my money for another day or two.
  • Ryder35Ryder35 Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    Looking at their forums thhe update is coming in the next 2 weeks. I would be very interested to hear comparisons between this and the mustang, especially around the area of feel of the strings and buttons. Also I wonder what is is like for sliding.

If this has a better feel than the mustang I might be tempted instead of the squier as I already have nicer guitars
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited January 2011
    I really should have waited, but having my Pro Guitar/Bass progress say "Beginner", not having those clothing items, and the 20% off accessories (instrument controllers included) at GameStop really made me run out and get the Mustang. Sliding on those buttons is worse than even a real string, and it is a pretty blah MIDI controller. Other than that, it works well enough for the game and I'm having fun anyway.

Oh well, I'm going to make the YRG and MIDI Pro Adapter my birthday present in September, and watch my scores skyrocket.
    edited January 2011
    LoopyChew;4249843 said:
    That'd kind of be impossible, since it's being fed through the MIDI Pro adapter. It was a point of discussion before this post, too.
    I disagree. It's been said that the MIDI pro connected without a pro guitar will signal to RB3 as a Squier (triggering the 22 fret versions of pro guitar charts). I could have sworn somebody indicated that connecting a Mustang to the console via the MIDI adapter caused the 17 fret pro guitar charts to be displayed. If that's the case, then the adapter sends the device's keep alive as-is, and the YouRock guitar would be able to signal as a Mustang to trigger 17 fret pro guitar charts. If that's not the case, then I was mistaken.
    edited January 2011
    raynebc;4250372 said:
    I disagree. It's been said that the MIDI pro connected without a pro guitar will signal to RB3 as a Squier (triggering the 22 fret versions of pro guitar charts). I could have sworn somebody indicated that connecting a Mustang to the console via the MIDI adapter caused the 17 fret pro guitar charts to be displayed. If that's the case, then the adapter sends the device's keep alive as-is, and the YouRock guitar would be able to signal as a Mustang to trigger 17 fret pro guitar charts. If that's not the case, then I was mistaken.
    If you can find where someone described plugging the Mustang into a MIDI Pro Adapter and playing the game with it, I'd be really interested in seeing it. By all reports, if you just plug the MIDI Pro Adapter into the console with it switched to guitar mode without anything plugged into its MIDI inputs, you can view the pro charts, presumably the 22-fret versions. This would suggest that the game determines whether to use the 22-fret or 17-fret version of the charts according to whether the controller is the MIDI Pro Adapter or not and not due to any information passed to it by Squier; the Squier itself is not a game controller, but can be used as a source of input to the MIDI Pro Adapter, which is. There's also no reason whatsoever that HMX would have spent any effort programming either the Mustang or MIDI Pro Adapter to deal with that scenario. After you plug it into a MIDI cable, the Mustang will not send any messages over that cable until your put it into MIDI controller mode, and AFAICT it doesn't send anything that any other MIDI guitar controller would.
    edited January 2011
    mikeyts;4250444 said:
    If you can find where someone described plugging the Mustang into a MIDI Pro Adapter and playing the game with it, I'd be really interested in seeing it.
    astrotho posted that with the Mustang connected via the MIDI pro adapter, the game correctly used the 17 fret version of the chart:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-205641.html
    mikeyts;4250444 said:
    This would suggest that the game determines whether to use the 22-fret or 17-fret version of the charts according to whether the controller is the MIDI Pro Adapter or not and not due to any information passed to it by Squier; the Squier itself is not a game controller, but can be used as a source of input to the MIDI Pro Adapter, which is. There's also no reason whatsoever that HMX would have spent any effort programming either the Mustang or MIDI Pro Adapter to deal with that scenario.
    There are multiple reasons for Harmonix to have programmed the game to listen for a keep-alive, including:
    1. The ability to use guitars with different numbers of frets.
    2. To allow the same Mustang to be used on either a PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii as long as the correct midi adapter was used.
    mikeyts;4250444 said:
    After you plug it into a MIDI cable, the Mustang will not send any messages over that cable until your put it into MIDI controller mode, and AFAICT it doesn't send anything that any other MIDI guitar controller would.
    It is a fact that the Mustang sends a keep alive signal just by being connected via MIDI cable, without having to change any operating mode on the controller. I confirmed this again just now by plugging it into my USB->MIDI adapter and doing nothing but powering on the Mustang. After it turned on, the Mustang immediately sent keep alive signals. See my original post providing information about the Mustang's MIDI signaling:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-207792.html

It remains to be seen if the Squier sends a keep alive signal like the Mustang does, I don't believe anybody posted that, because the only forum member that has managed to get a Squier guitar so far doesn't have the equipment to connect it to a computer to read the MIDI events it sends.
    edited January 2011
    Okay--I believe you and I suppose that allowing the Mustang to be used with multiple consoles might be reason enough to implement code in it, the MIDI Pro Adapter and the game. It'll be kind of sad if the 21-fret YRG is forced to pretend to be a 17-fret instrument.

Weird that NOTE OFF events are sent before the cooresponding NOTE ON (that's how duration is indicated, BTW--you hit a key on a MIDI keyboard and it signals a NOTE ON event; when you remove your finger from the key, it signals NOTE OFF, hence the names). Actually, your monitor program seems to interpret "NOTE ON, VELOCITY 0" as "NOTE OFF"; the most significant nibble of NOTE OFF events should be 8. (See this MIDI message synopsis). You say that when you strum string 1 (high E) with no frets held your monitor indicates that it gets "90 40 00" followed by "90 40 7D" which are "NOTE ON, CHAN 0, NOTE 64, VELOCITY 0" followed by "NOTE ON, CHAN 0, NOTE 64, VELOCITY 125" (struck hard--max velocity - 2). I just ran MIDIOX and see the same stuff.
    edited January 2011
    My theory is that MIDI guitars do that to emulate how a real guitar works in that you can stop a string from ringing by touching it. Believe me, I know all about the MIDI spec and have written a MIDI parser from scratch in C. There are various little catches in the MIDI spec, such as any Note On event with a velocity of 0 is treated as a Note Off event. All the output I listed was from a program called MIDI OX, which I had no part in writing.
    edited January 2011
    As I stated in my post, I used MIDI OX to look at its output and got the same stuff that you do.

With a real guitar, you can stop a string from ringing just by removing your finger from the fret that you're holding on it, so you only have to touch a string to stop a note if you're playing it open. It makes sense that NOTE ON, VELOCITY 0 would be equivalent to NOTE OFF, but why send it before NOTE ON. If they're unable to express note duration, I'd think that a MIDI guitar controller would be more or less useless for either playing a synth or sequencing for composition.

Strange. I may try another freeware MIDI monitor and see if it concurs with MIDI OX.
    edited January 2011
    I doubt you'll find anything different that what I posted before, MIDI OX isn't lying to you. If you plug the Mustang into a synthesizer to play tones, you'll see that if you fret a string and pick it to play a note, pressing any fret on that string will immediately end the note.

The reason note # with a velocity of 0 is treated as a note # off is a space saving convention known as "running status". Basically, if you have several events of the same kind (ie. Note on) in a row, it doesn't have to send as much data for the second, third, etc. instances as it did the first. The status byte is assumed to be the same as the previous, and only the first event needs to have unabridged data specified. This way, you could have 100 note on and 100 note off events sent as 200 note on events and only take 401 bytes of data instead of alternating them as note on/note off, which would take 600 bytes.
    edited January 2011
    You keep saying the YRG has 21 frets, I thought they said it had 22.
    edited January 2011
    Their website skimps on that detail, but every picture of the guitar I've seen shows it only has 21 frets.
    edited January 2011
    raynebc;4250671 said:
    Their website skimps on that detail, but every picture of the guitar I've seen shows it only has 21 frets.
    Look closer, 4th picture, and featured product picture: http://yourockguitar.com/products/you-rock-guitar

Inlays are usually done at frets 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, and 21. There is an extra fret after the last inlay, indicating 22. The string assembly box is getting in the way.
    edited January 2011
    I didn't make that claim until after looking at a better picture:
    http://www.plasticaxe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/You-Rock-W540.jpg

There is no 22nd fret visible even from the front of the guitar. Perhaps the space behind the 21st fret and the string box is usable as a 22nd fret, but that information doesn't seem to be available, at least not anywhere obvious on the manufacturer's website.
  • wsexsonwsexson Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    edited January 2011
    That must be a different model than the one in the pic I posted, as the space between the highest fret and the string box looks to be different. I've read reviews saying it was only 21 frets, so this information is inconsistent from one source to another.

Edit:
    The manual on their website (http://yourockguitar.com/manuals/YRG_Manual_1.105.pdf) claims that it is a 22 fret neck, so the space between the string box itself and the 21st fret must be where to hold to trigger fret 22.
    edited January 2011
    One thing to note is that the string box is a little higher than it looks and that the picture only showing 21 frets looks a little tilted to me so the string box might be covering that last fret.
    edited January 2011
    As I consider it, I suppose the NOTE-OFF-before-NOTE-ON system would work, since both pressing and releasing a fret button sends NOTE-OFF. It would make an inappropriate controller for synth sounds without decay (and for composition sequencing), since open strings would "ring" until they get fretted or struck again. (Just tried and verified this, using the guitar controller to play an organ patch). A composition program would just keep tying notes together until you did something to send NOTE OFF.

BTW, I tried the looking at the MIDI stream from the keyboard with MIDI-OX and got exactly what I expected, a 90H NOTE ON event when I pressed a key followed by an 80H NOTE OFF event when I released the key. No "keep alive" Sysex messages--they must be part of the guitar-controller-to-adapter protocol.

MIDI OX is very cool--I'd been looking around for an extremely simple way to play synth patches with the MIDI controllers and somehow missed it. (The software synth programs are frustratingly complicated). I found it googling "MIDI monitor"; no doubt I was using other search terms before.
    raynebc;4250671 said:
    The specification in their manual (page 23) states that it has 22 frets and if you look at the picture of the detached neck on page 10, you can see that it's true. When the neck is attached that 22nd fret is so close to the top of the string box as to make it invisible except at certain angles. You can pretty clearly see it in this picture from their site (obscured a bit by a "watermark" on the photo).

So there is no "21-frets" problem after all--cool :cool: :D.
    edited January 2011
    I'll admit that I was wrong about the 22nd fret, but I did edit my post to indicate that the manual corrected my confusion. It's too bad there aren't better pictures available, I haven't seen a single one showing the entire fretboard with all frets visible. Even people that have reviewed the YouRock guitar have said that it's a 21 fret guitar, so it looks like there's plenty of confusion. It's cool that it will work for pro mode though, perhaps I'll get one someday.

I did double check earlier today, the keyboard does not send a keep alive signal, but the Mustang does. Its functionality for playing synth is a bit limited in parts, but I previously reported that if the Start button on the Mustang is pressed while it's in MIDI mode, the red LEDs flash instead of staying solidly lit and you can play tones just by pressing fret buttons (no strum required). Although if you open strum a string this way, the tone plays until you press a fret on that string (which sounds another tone). To work around that, to stop all playing sounds, you can press start again to disable this "tapping" mode and then barre the neck to silence the MIDI output.
    edited January 2011
    I know I'm late to this and the argument as already been settled, but just to confirm - 100% - the YRG is a 22 fret guitar. (I physically counted them on my one!)
    edited January 2011
    So how do the strings on the guitar feel? Is it easy to alt pick etc. Is the weight and thickness of the strings similar to a real guitar?

I like the fact you can adjust string tension and change the sensitivity of each string. Sounds nice and customisable
    edited January 2011
    Okay, please bare in mind that I have never, ever, seen or used the Mad Catz Mustang...

The YRG has a little weight to it, it's lighter than my real strat but heaver than my RB 5button strat. It feels very much like a game controller - a plastic axe. I suppose given the construction material it'd be hard for it to feel other whys.

I imagine the string box is nigh on identical to the Mustang. 6 evenly spaced, equally sized strings. They are nylon, about the thickness of a regular 'D' string. The spacing feels about right for a regular guitar.

The fretboard is a work of genius IMHO. I've seen pictures of the Mustang with all those buttons and it's always struck me as looking clunky and uncomfortable. The YRG has a rubber mesh making up the frets and strings.

Again these rubber strings are all the same size, about the thickness of high-'E', maybe slightly thicker like a regualr 'B' string. Although you don't have to put down as much pressure as a real strat the strings feel quiet real and responsive. Quiet a treat since I normaly play a Fender semi-accoustic with fairly heavy steal strings.

I have a problem doing slides, even with the slide button turned on. I seem to loose the note after 2 frets. Tap mode is a lot of fun, you can tap the fretboard with out plucking the string to sound the note.

I think my 'D' string is a little unresponsive and I'm currently playing with the string tension to get the best out of it.

I bought it primarily for its real guitar features. I plugged in to my amp, set up 12-string guitar sound and returned down half-step - all just a couple of button presses - and then rocked out to my (poor) rendition of Nirvana's 'About A Girl'.

Did I mention it has a wammy bar? Although that comes at a price - I'm not sure how you'd activate star power - if at all.

What remains to be seen is how well it play in RB3 pro mode with I won't know until firmware 2 is available and I've bought the MIDI Pro adapter.

Heres the video that sold me on buying this guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FRA-9qcAcg
    edited January 2011
    Fantastic. Thanks for the info. If this works well in game I will be very tempted. I love the mustang but this sounds even better and, unlike the squier, you will be able to plug into an amp at the same time as playing the game
    edited January 2011
    I thought the up coming Squier Strat was a regular guitar with additional midi port and electronics. Is there a reason why you couldn't plug it into an amp at the same time as the midi port?

I know the Mustang is a controller only unless you run it's midi through a separate synth or computer.
    edited January 2011
    tmcd35;4251261 said:
    I thought the up coming Squier Strat was a regular guitar with additional midi port and electronics. Is there a reason why you couldn't plug it into an amp at the same time as the midi port?
    Apparently you have to have the string mute engaged in order for it to accurately register notes.
  • angrybananaangrybanana Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, such a cool toy/instrument. I plan on playing pro mode eventually to brush up on my real guitar skills so I hope they can make this work on PS3.