will the yourockguitar.com guitar work with rb3?

esquehillesquehill Rising Star
edited June 2013 in Rock Band
if so, on which consoles??

//www.yourockguitar.com/products/you-rock-guitar"]http://www.yourockguitar.com/products/you-rock-guitar[/URL]

Anyone tried this product?

Comments

• TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited December 2010
    Dentata;4236430 said:
    It is all just MIDI. I can (and have) hooked up my Mustang to my computer through an adaptor and looked at the messages sent. I used my sequencer to record it, and MidiOX to just look at them. It isn't very hard to do. I'm pretty sure I could even get a sequencer to send the right messages to mimic the Mustang so that I could cheat on the Pro Guitar/Bass Leaderboards if I were so inclined, but it would be work that I'm too lazy to do.
    If you plug something into the MIDI Pro Adapter and set it to Guitar, it will assume you have a Squier, so you'll get charts that use all 22 frets. You will have to adjust.

There are two possible ways the You Rock guys can make their guitar compatible with Pro Guitar:

1. Changing the firmware to make the MIDI signals sent out be the same as the Squier
    2. A GameFlex cartridge that tricks Rock Band 3 into thinking the You Rock is a Mustang

I would prefer the former. The only advantage of the latter is that you would be able to play legacy charts, I have two legacy guitars anyway, and I'd rather play full 22-fret charts.
  • Awesome_TreeAwesome_Tree Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4236451 said:

I would prefer the former. The only advantage of the latter is that you would be able to play legacy charts, I have two legacy guitars anyway, and I'd rather play full 22-fret charts.
    Not to mention legacy charts are hard to play on a mustang, let alone a proper guitar.
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    TubaDude49;4236263 said:
    My guess is that Seven 45 is desperate and buying up a ton of Mustangs and Squiers to reverse engineer

S45 didn't make the YRG.
  • tmcd35tmcd35 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4236451 said:
    If you plug something into the MIDI Pro Adapter and set it to Guitar, it will assume you have a Squier, so you'll get charts that use all 22 frets. You will have to adjust.

There are two possible ways the You Rock guys can make their guitar compatible with Pro Guitar:

1. Changing the firmware to make the MIDI signals sent out be the same as the Squier
    2. A GameFlex cartridge that tricks Rock Band 3 into thinking the You Rock is a Mustang

Thanks to this thread I've just been looking into this and the YouRock seems to be basically the Mustang with a few extra, and potentially very useful, features.

I now don't know what to do?

1) buy the Mustang and forget the YouRock?
    2) buy the YouRock and prey a patch/upgrade from one of the two is forth coming?
    3) buy both?

Tempted at buying both but I know I'd be gutted if the YouRock is then patched...

Looking at their website it seems they do do firmware updates to the YRG. So a firmware update to make the YRG appear/work like the mustang I don't think is all that impossible or out of the question. My hunch is it's a matter of if rather than when.

Any how, I've emailed both YRG and Harmonix on the subject, be interested to see if I get any replies.

I'm certainly not making any buying decisions this side of next pay day any way (mid Jan).
    edited December 2010
    Just an update to my last post.

I emailed both HMX and Inspired Instruments. Inspired replied with "We are researching updating the YRG to work with the MadCatz MIDI Adapter. The Midi Adapter's release has been pushed back to 29/12".

I've asked for more detail, but I very much doubt either company will give me more than that until they are ready for an official announcement.

So, Having thought long and hard about it - I've just bought the YouRock Guitar.

I'm currently working my way through RB3 using the standard 5-button guitar. I've been playing just over a month and I'm now stuck on Tier-0 songs on Hard. I don't need a Pro Guitar until I've completed my Tier-6 songs on Expert at at least 95%.

I figure I'm not going to need the Pro Guitar to mid-Feb at the earliest, maybe closer to March.

So either the YRG gets patched in the next 3 months and my gamble pays off and I'm a very happy chappy. Or, it can't/won't be patched and I have to buy a Mustang as well. Either way the YRG looks awesome and I can't way to get my hands on it!
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    tmcd35;4237732 said:

I'm currently working my way through RB3 using the standard 5-button guitar. I've been playing just over a month and I'm now stuck on Tier-0 songs on Hard. I don't need a Pro Guitar until I've completed my Tier-6 songs on Expert at at least 95%.

Just to give you some perspective, I've been playing the 5-button guitar since day one on Guitar Hero. So that's near 5 years of playing and practicing, and even now I'm usually in the high 80% on Tier-6 songs, if I can pass them at all. So don't get too frustrated if you're still working on nailing songs on Hard by March.
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    YRG's tech support claims that rb3's pro-mode guitar on wii IS INDEED supported:

-------------------------------------------------
    A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #494757 with the following response:

Hello,

It does support pro mode for Wii RB3.

Thanks,
    Will
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Is that a fact? I guess somebody may have to try it out and confirm. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a second MIDI guitar someday if it resolves some of the problems with the Mustang.
    edited December 2010
    So why is the Wii so special? In terms of the game and the midi adapter, are they really so different on the Wii that any midi guitar will work, but not on the PS3 or XBOX - I find that hard to believe.

I'm looking at buying a midi adapter anyway for my keyboard regardless of whether or not the YRG works. I'll certainly plug it in and test once I've got both in my hands (I'm on PS3).
    edited December 2010
    tmcd35;4237732 said:
    "We are researching updating the YRG to work with the MadCatz MIDI Adapter. The Midi Adapter's release has been pushed back to 29/12".
    Wait wait wait, are you saying that YRG (Inspired Instruments) is claiming that the MadCatz MIDI Adapter isn't released yet?

FYI, some people that can play expert 5button guitar are going into pro mode with difficulties (like normal new guitarists). 5button mode isn't going to prepare you enough for pro mode so it doesn't really matter how far into 5button mode you get because all you really learn are hammer on and pull offs and the pro guitar has extensive learning tutorials to get you started.
    edited December 2010
    Rednaz;4238914 said:
    Wait wait wait, are you saying that YRG (Inspired Instruments) is claiming that the MadCatz MIDI Adapter isn't released yet?
    That's what the e-mail says. Maybe they are just having supplier problems?

FYI, some people that can play expert 5button guitar are going into pro mode with difficulties (like normal new guitarists). 5button mode isn't going to prepare you enough for pro mode so it doesn't really matter how far into 5button mode you get because all you really learn are hammer on and pull offs and the pro guitar has extensive learning tutorials to get you started.

Not expecting it to ;). I already play real guitar (quiet badly) and have done (extremely badly) since I was about 7.

No the way I see it is there are only about 30 or so songs so far that I like with Pro Guitar. I have over 150 songs I like in the game. I've set myself a goal/challenge before taking up the Pro side of the game just so I get a bit more out of the game. Plus being able to drop down to 5-button expert during RB partys would be a real bonus.

Besides it gives YRG time to release the required firmware update while I'm mucking about with standard 5-button mode :D
    edited December 2010
    tmcd35;4238920 said:
    That's what the e-mail says. Maybe they are just having supplier problems?
    Supply problems or not, the adapter has been released. They have given you a false statement that the release has been pushed back. If you contact them again you need to point that out and ask why they gave a false statement.
    Not expecting it to ;). I already play real guitar (quiet badly) and have done (extremely badly) since I was about 7.

No the way I see it is there are only about 30 or so songs so far that I like with Pro Guitar. I have over 150 songs I like in the game. I've set myself a goal/challenge before taking up the Pro side of the game just so I get a bit more out of the game. Plus being able to drop down to 5-button expert during RB partys would be a real bonus.

Besides it gives YRG time to release the required firmware update while I'm mucking about with standard 5-button mode :D

Fair enough. I doubt they can just release an update for their guitar to be compatible with RB3.
    edited December 2010
    Rednaz;4238964 said:
    I doubt they can just release an update for their guitar to be compatible with RB3.

The evidence, such that there is, suggest other whys. I've bought the YRG (found good deal on ebay) and am gambling that the firmware update is forth coming.

What's the worst that can happen? I have to buy the Mustang in a few months?

Time will tell...
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    I've been tracking the YRG for over a year and really wanted one. They've gotten a ton of endorsements from respectable studio and stage musicians who think that it feels remarkably much like playing a real guitar (something that definitely can't be claimed for the Mustang). It's also bristling with features, like internal sounds, 5DIN MIDI, USB MIDI and Amp outputs, LINE IN and headphone jacks. At $200 plus $20 for a "GameFlex" cartridge for the console of your choice (if you want to play console games with it), it's pretty agressively priced.

I'd own one today had they shipped before the RB3 announcement; once I heard about pro guitar I decided to hold off to see where they went with it. I pre-ordered one and two GameFlex carts from their site when it first went up using a debit card. The site stated that I would not be charged before it shipped, but their software put an immediate hold on my checking account for twice the order that I placed ($500+), creating an overdraft and two more when additional checks came rolling in before I could get them to correct the mistake. One of the company's founders discussed this with me in e-mail, promising to make it right when I ordered after they shipped.

When they started their own forum, I created a thread to ask about RB3 pro guitar and dumped a bunch of information about it in a post, including info about the Mustang and Squier controllers, and they banned me for promoting competitor's products :rolleyes:.

I'm willing to forgive them for all this (if they credit me for those overdrafts in any order that I might eventually make); after all, they're a tiny start-up, making them prone to mistakes in the beginning. I haven't ordered because there hasn't been any announcement of support for RB3 pro mode and because there hasn't been any announcement of an Xbox GameFlex cart. Like many manufacturers before them, they're having a problem trying to reach an acceptable agreement on licensing Xbox wireless controller tech (I think that the Peak Starpex wooden Strat replica was intended to work on both Xbox and PS3 but they went belly-up before they could make that happen).

If they go the MIDI Pro Adapter route for pro guitar I'd consider it. I do see one potential problem however--the YRG has 21 frets and the Squier has 22; not sure how they'd get around that.

Having farted around with the Mustang for 5-lane play, I'm not so interested in GameFlex carts anymore (though, unlike the Mustang, the buttons are frets 4 through 8 instead of 1 through 5, which would make it considerably easier to play that way). It's probable that even if they made it work as a wireless pro guitar, it would have the Mustang's 17 fret limit in that mode.
    edited December 2010
    There's no way I'd ever put up with some company's mistake causing me to get multiple overdrafts. If they won't make that right, then they deserve to lose your business and the business of others.
    edited December 2010
    raynebc;4239190 said:
    There's no way I'd ever put up with some company's mistake causing me to get multiple overdrafts. If they won't make that right, then they deserve to lose your business and the business of others.
    Having decided against preordering the "Squier Guitar and Controller" (and waiting for it until April :rolleyes:) I'd been just about to order a Fender "Stop Dreaming, Start Playing" pack with the Squier SE Special Strat but then I ran across this thread and remembered the YRG. I just fired off a letter to Kevin Kent, CEO of Inspired Instruments, with whom I corresponded back in March about the screwed up order and asked what price he could quote me on a YRG, taking my $58 loss into consideration. I sent it as a reply to my last message from him, which started with "I will absolutely help you out," so we'll see how good his word is :). (The reply contains our entire chain of correspondence, so he can read it to refresh his memory).

Of course, there's a distinct possibility that he's on holiday vacation, so there may be a bit of a wait for a response.
    edited December 2010
    Rednaz;4238964 said:
    I doubt they can just release an update for their guitar to be compatible with RB3.
    Except for the 21-vs-22 fret problem I mentioned before, I can't think of any reason why not. Their instrument already has to monitor your fingers' position on the fretboard--they just need to send the proprietary Sysex MIDI events that HMX created to report that to the game. The rest is just standard NOTE ON and NOTE OFF events that they're already sending through the instrument's MIDI connection. It'd be nice if they sent game controller navigation messages as well, but not entirely necessary since you can use the buttons on the adapter. There may be some other message or messages they need to send to let the game know that they're not just some random MIDI guitar.
    edited December 2010
    In the case of the number of frets, they should probably send the Mustang's keep alive signal so that charts could be 100% playable. Or make it a user option or separate flex card or whatever.
    edited January 2011
    Right, I am going to do my level best to keep this thread up to date as I get more information.

Firstly thank you to esquehill (the OP) for starting this thread and bring the YRG to my attention.

Secondly, just to say that I've got my hands on a brand new YRG :D. Got it off ebay for £150, £50 cheaper than normal - a ex-display model so I couldn't allow that deal to slide.

Even if they cannot get this guitar to work in pro mode I am over the moon with my purchase. I love this guitar! So certainly not a wasted purchase if I have to shell out on the Mustang as well.

Okay, now the important bit. I just had another updated from Inspired Instruments. They recommend I "hold out until after the new year. At CES 2011 they will be releasing their new developments. They should know, by then, if our guitar will be compatible with RB3 pro-mode."

Checking the calendar CES 2011 is a the end of the week (6-9 Jan). So it might suggest they have a solution and will be announcing it then.

Admittedly I have never touched either the Mustang or the Squire, but from what I've seen and heard of both I'd say if this is patched then this is THE GUITAR for RB3 pro mode. The guitar itself is awesome and RB3 pro mode would be the icing on the cake.

If you haven't yet bought in to pro guitar but you do want to buy a pro guitar controller, or you are currently holding off for the squire. I'd say have a good look at this and see what next weeks updates bring.
    edited January 2011
    I haven't heard anyone anywhere say anything negative about the YRG and I've heard dozens of people sing its praises, including Joe Rybicki, editor of PlasticAxe.com and amatuer guitarist IRL, who played with one at E3. From his comments on this page:
    As surprised as I am to say it, I loved playing this thing. The rubberized faux-strings on the fretboard felt natural and realistic, making it seem almost as if I was playing a real guitar with the action set impossibly low...it’s as realistic as I imagine you can get without moving to a fully stringed controller.
    edited January 2011
    I haven't heard anyone anywhere say anything negative about the YRG and I've heard dozens of people sing its praises, including Joe Rybicki, editor of PlasticAxe.com and amatuer guitarist IRL, who played with one at E3. From his comments on this page:
    As surprised as I am to say it, I loved playing this thing. The rubberized faux-strings on the fretboard felt natural and realistic, making it seem almost as if I was playing a real guitar with the action set impossibly low...it’s as realistic as I imagine you can get without moving to a fully stringed controller.
    Damn--I forgot about CES, and NAMM show (National Association of Music Merchants) which follows soon behind. Those'll keep Kevin Kent very busy for a while, so I can expect a long wait for a response from him. Oh well; it's not as if I have to buy the thing right away.
    edited January 2011
    YRG news from CES, from this blog piece:
    Elion announced the following new line-up:

1) You Rock Digital free Firmware Upgrade, Version 2.0 for You Rock Guitar

Access downloadable sounds and loops from the You Rock Shop™: (For more information see You Rock Shop below.) Rock Band™3 enabled (needs Mad Catz® MIDI Pro-Adapter™ available for Xbox Box 360®, Wii™ and Play Station®3).
    (Available now, free through March 31, 2011)
    I'd really like to get my $58 back and I suspect that the only way I'm getting it (if I get it) is as a discount on merchandise. As I stated above, the guy I've been working this issue with probably won't be available to deal with it until some time in February. This news, however, sorely tempts me to just buy it. I've been tracking this thing since 11/09 and as I said above the only thing that's stopped me from buying was that news about RB3 pro mode surfaced before they shipped. (Also, there's no Xbox console adapter, but at this point I'd never use it for 5-lane anyway). $200, plus $40 for a MIDI Pro Adapter. (Right now they're still running a holiday offer in which you get their $30 gig-bag for free with an order for the instrument).

That "(Available now, free through March 31, 2011)" makes it sound as though they plan to charge for the update after March, but I suspect that's a misunderstanding. The update isn't mentioned on their website yet but it sounds as though you don't see available updates until you plug the instrument via USB into your computer and run their updater software.

Maybe I'll just wait, at least until I hear what people have to say about how well the update works with pro guitar.
    edited January 2011
    I'm interested, but will wait. They sure as heck better not expect people to pay for a firmware update considering that the hardware itself is not exactly cheap, and their other firmware updates appear to be free. That would be a dealbreaker for me, and I'll bet I'm not alone.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited January 2011
    raynebc;4240373 said:
    In the case of the number of frets, they should probably send the Mustang's keep alive signal so that charts could be 100% playable. Or make it a user option or separate flex card or whatever.
    That'd kind of be impossible, since it's being fed through the MIDI Pro adapter. It was a point of discussion before this post, too.
    mikeyts;4249545 said:
    YRG news from CES, from this blog piece:
    That "(Available now, free through March 31, 2011)" makes it sound as though they plan to charge for the update after March, but I suspect that's a misunderstanding. The update isn't mentioned on their website yet but it sounds as though you don't see available updates until you plug the instrument via USB into your computer and run their updater software.

Maybe I'll just wait, at least until I hear what people have to say about how well the update works with pro guitar.
    Intriguing. I'm not sure if they'll charge for updates, but at the same time odds are all YRGs out on the market by that time will probably have the new firmware installed anyway.

What I find nice about this is that their firmware-upgrade solution means you don't need one of those external carts--and that you can also play on the Xbox, since they don't have to worry about the Xbox controller circuitry.

I played around on a YRG once and found it extremely awesome. I think I prefer it to the Mustang, but hell, I'm having fun on the Mustang anyway, so nothing lost.
    edited January 2011
    Well, I had promised to keep this thread updated and it looks like mikeyts found out the big news before I did, nice one mate! Closest I've got is a semi official announcement, okay a comment, over on the YRG forums.

I did get a reply back from HMX on the subject though - "We don't have any plans to license any more [fender/mustang] pro instruments in the foreseeable future". I recon they have an exclusivity deal with Fender/Mad Catz. I hope this doesn't cause any problems for YRG.

Back to the YRG announcement, and there are a couple of interesting things announced -

= YouRock Shop with downloadable guitar sounds :D
    = YouRock Network with guitar tabs to learn your favourite songs :D

I think I made the right buying decision when I picked up the YouRock. I'm off to patch it up to v2.0. If it patches I'm buying a Mad Catz Midi adapter today. I'll let y'all know how I get on and how well it works.

EDIT: There was an update for my guitar but only to version 1.149, so it looks like Mad Catz are denied my money for another day or two.
  • Ryder35Ryder35 Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    Looking at their forums thhe update is coming in the next 2 weeks. I would be very interested to hear comparisons between this and the mustang, especially around the area of feel of the strings and buttons. Also I wonder what is is like for sliding.

If this has a better feel than the mustang I might be tempted instead of the squier as I already have nicer guitars
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited January 2011
    I really should have waited, but having my Pro Guitar/Bass progress say "Beginner", not having those clothing items, and the 20% off accessories (instrument controllers included) at GameStop really made me run out and get the Mustang. Sliding on those buttons is worse than even a real string, and it is a pretty blah MIDI controller. Other than that, it works well enough for the game and I'm having fun anyway.

Oh well, I'm going to make the YRG and MIDI Pro Adapter my birthday present in September, and watch my scores skyrocket.
    edited January 2011
    LoopyChew;4249843 said:
    That'd kind of be impossible, since it's being fed through the MIDI Pro adapter. It was a point of discussion before this post, too.
    I disagree. It's been said that the MIDI pro connected without a pro guitar will signal to RB3 as a Squier (triggering the 22 fret versions of pro guitar charts). I could have sworn somebody indicated that connecting a Mustang to the console via the MIDI adapter caused the 17 fret pro guitar charts to be displayed. If that's the case, then the adapter sends the device's keep alive as-is, and the YouRock guitar would be able to signal as a Mustang to trigger 17 fret pro guitar charts. If that's not the case, then I was mistaken.
    edited January 2011
    raynebc;4250372 said:
    I disagree. It's been said that the MIDI pro connected without a pro guitar will signal to RB3 as a Squier (triggering the 22 fret versions of pro guitar charts). I could have sworn somebody indicated that connecting a Mustang to the console via the MIDI adapter caused the 17 fret pro guitar charts to be displayed. If that's the case, then the adapter sends the device's keep alive as-is, and the YouRock guitar would be able to signal as a Mustang to trigger 17 fret pro guitar charts. If that's not the case, then I was mistaken.
    If you can find where someone described plugging the Mustang into a MIDI Pro Adapter and playing the game with it, I'd be really interested in seeing it. By all reports, if you just plug the MIDI Pro Adapter into the console with it switched to guitar mode without anything plugged into its MIDI inputs, you can view the pro charts, presumably the 22-fret versions. This would suggest that the game determines whether to use the 22-fret or 17-fret version of the charts according to whether the controller is the MIDI Pro Adapter or not and not due to any information passed to it by Squier; the Squier itself is not a game controller, but can be used as a source of input to the MIDI Pro Adapter, which is. There's also no reason whatsoever that HMX would have spent any effort programming either the Mustang or MIDI Pro Adapter to deal with that scenario. After you plug it into a MIDI cable, the Mustang will not send any messages over that cable until your put it into MIDI controller mode, and AFAICT it doesn't send anything that any other MIDI guitar controller would.
    edited January 2011
    mikeyts;4250444 said:
    If you can find where someone described plugging the Mustang into a MIDI Pro Adapter and playing the game with it, I'd be really interested in seeing it.
    astrotho posted that with the Mustang connected via the MIDI pro adapter, the game correctly used the 17 fret version of the chart:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-205641.html
    mikeyts;4250444 said:
    This would suggest that the game determines whether to use the 22-fret or 17-fret version of the charts according to whether the controller is the MIDI Pro Adapter or not and not due to any information passed to it by Squier; the Squier itself is not a game controller, but can be used as a source of input to the MIDI Pro Adapter, which is. There's also no reason whatsoever that HMX would have spent any effort programming either the Mustang or MIDI Pro Adapter to deal with that scenario.
    There are multiple reasons for Harmonix to have programmed the game to listen for a keep-alive, including:
    1. The ability to use guitars with different numbers of frets.
    2. To allow the same Mustang to be used on either a PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii as long as the correct midi adapter was used.
    mikeyts;4250444 said:
    After you plug it into a MIDI cable, the Mustang will not send any messages over that cable until your put it into MIDI controller mode, and AFAICT it doesn't send anything that any other MIDI guitar controller would.
    It is a fact that the Mustang sends a keep alive signal just by being connected via MIDI cable, without having to change any operating mode on the controller. I confirmed this again just now by plugging it into my USB->MIDI adapter and doing nothing but powering on the Mustang. After it turned on, the Mustang immediately sent keep alive signals. See my original post providing information about the Mustang's MIDI signaling:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-207792.html

It remains to be seen if the Squier sends a keep alive signal like the Mustang does, I don't believe anybody posted that, because the only forum member that has managed to get a Squier guitar so far doesn't have the equipment to connect it to a computer to read the MIDI events it sends.