Looking for Rock Band 3 Hardware?

HMXJohnDHMXJohnD Harmonix Developer & One Man Dance Party
edited November 2013 in Rock Band
Hey Guys:

Our friends at MadCatz wanted us to post the following writeup about Hardware Availability. They'll be monitoring this thread.

Love,
HMXJohnD

Hey Guys,

We know that, due to high demand for certain products, some of you are finding it difficult to locate the Rock Band 3 hardware in stores. We know how frustrating that can be, so we’re sorry for the inconvenience. We are bringing inventory into all territories as quickly as we can, but in the meantime, here are some suggestions to get you rocking this holiday season:

If you’re searching stores in North America, GameStop is the best place to start. They carry every product in the Mad Catz Rock Band 3 line in their catalog. Across North America, they have stock of Stratocasters, Microphones and Wireless Drum Kits (a lot of this is available on their site). If you try your local store and they don’t have the item you want, ask if they can order it for you, or check another store for availability.

Other retailers you should consider are Sam's Club, Kmart and Wal-Mart for Xbox 360 and Wii Keyboard bundles, Fry's for Microphones and Wireless Drum Kits, and Best Buy stores which have keyboards for all platforms and limited stock of the Pro Cymbal Expansion Kits Before you head to your local store, we recommend you.call or check online. Since restocking is a rolling process, people who don’t have an item one day may have a handful the next.

For those of you in the US and some EU territories, the Mad Catz store at Game Shark is another good resource. We’re constantly update quantities based on what you’re all asking for and even running a few specials. For example, the new Rock Band 3 cymbals have proven very popular, so availability is an important issue to address. We’re busy bringing more triple cymbal packs to store shelves, but the Mad Catz online store is offering a combo pack of the Rock Band 2 Double Cymbal and Single Cymbal (giving you all three cymbals) for just $29.99, instead of the regular $49.99 price.

We’re doing everything we can to help get more product in your hands as soon as humanly possible. If you speak with retailers who are out of stock, let them know that they should order more! We value your patience and your desire to rock and hope you have the happiest of holidays!

Yours,
MadCatz

***HMX EDIT 11/23***

Mad Catz has announced more details on the re release of Rock Band 3 scheduled for this holiday. Follow the link below for more information on hardware bundles, pricing and availability.

RB3 Re release press release from 11/23

They've also informed us that RB3 drum kits are now back in stock on the Mad Catz site and can be ordered by clicking here.

***HMX EDIT 5/15***

We just got word from Mad Catz that they're taking pre orders on another run of RB3 Pro Drum Kits w/ Cymbals for the Xbox 360! These should be available in early July.

Here are some links:

US Store - http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=323
Canadian Store - http://gamesharkstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4822&idCategory=323

Comments

• Joker_2010Joker_2010 Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    I have had my pre-order since October waiting for Amazon to list the Xbox Midi Pro adapter as active. Today is the release date based on their website only to log on to find out it is out of stock. From what I read in the previous emails Best Buy is the only company getting them early and they don't even have any stock. When they check the RSS system nobody local is getting them. What a crock of ****. Total fail on Mad Catz part. I have the keyboard, pro guitar and no drums!!! I would suggest the next time a feature is advertised to make people want to by the new version you hold off on the release of the software until the mfg's can make the product!!!
  • N3gerKattenN3gerKatten Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    This is just a big pile of ****..
  • blingdomepieceblingdomepiece Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I would agree that the initial distribution to Canada was weak. However I would also say that if you wanted to be able to play pro stuff and put in a little work, you could do it by now. I've got the Madcatz keyboard and the Fender Mustang, had the former for seven weeks and the latter for the last three weeks. I also have a 3rd party MIDI adapter for my e-kit and such adapters have existed since before the RB3 days. While it's true that delays are off-putting, at some point when people continually complain but don't do something to fix the problem, you have to assume they just like complaining.

As for ripping on Madcatz, the Mustang is pretty nice. Based on the early feedback I'm seeing on the Squier, the Mustang actually might be the more reliable controller of the two. The keyboard, while superfluous to those of us who already own them, comes in at an impressive price point. It's been a tough release for all parties, between the game bugs, the Madcatz HW availability, and the Squier availability. Obviously they needed more time and everyone is doing their best with the situation that exists now. I don't see what problems will get solved by flaming MC or HMX at this point.
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Joker_2010;4237638 said:
    I have had my pre-order since October waiting for Amazon to list the Xbox Midi Pro adapter as active. Today is the release date based on their website only to log on to find out it is out of stock. From what I read in the previous emails Best Buy is the only company getting them early and they don't even have any stock. When they check the RSS system nobody local is getting them. What a crock of ****. Total fail on Mad Catz part. I have the keyboard, pro guitar and no drums!!! I would suggest the next time a feature is advertised to make people want to by the new version you hold off on the release of the software until the mfg's can make the product!!!

I believe Harmonix wanted to hold off the sale of rb3 but were forced to release it because Viacom wanted to get rid of them asap

But i do agree with most of you Madcatz you really need to get your act together and get us our midi pro adapters. I continue to wait for you so i can play pro drums, but you guys completely suck and are not talking and updating the community. lets see its been aprox.2 months since the release and this is when you guys finally decide to start talking to the community...... Wow what a bunch of crap.
  • aquamonsteraquamonster Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    I was like most RB fans (PS3) and pre-ordered RB3 with much excitement and planned to get into pro guitar mode with my friends the night of the release but what happened instead was a major buzz kill when I went through the following experience:

- only the keyboard was available initially
    - drove all over the metro area looking for a pro-guitar in stock for 3 days - no luck
    - no pro drum kits at best buy or ebgames ... no pro-guitar either

So we played the game pretty much the same as RB2 ... at least we got some new songs to play and got to play pro-mode on keyboard ... but .. only the new songs have that capability.

- after failing to find the pro-guitar for PS3 locally I went online and ordered the pro-guitar for PS3 at Ebgames which listed a ship date of 11/22/2010. Awesome I thought ...
    - on the 22nd I logged in to find the ship date and crap, they changed it to the 24th. *sigh*. I send a note to ebgames and they say "release dates are subject to change" so I deal with it; at least it is only 2 more days.
    - on the 24th I logged in and checked my order status and ship date is changed to Dec 2nd. #$#@ THIS! --- I'm done. I cancelled the order I had for 2 PS3 Mustang Pro guitars.

Since then I check my local stores about 2 times per week; no store employee is willing to give me a date even now.

You can try to spin this anyway you want but Mad Catz has failed ... there is no reliable way to give them money and get the product :-) Because of this a substantial part of the value of RB3 has been lost to me and my friends. I've spent a lot of money on RockBand since it came out .. I have just over 500 DLC, have purchased probably over 10 instruments over the last 18 months and have been a faithful customer.

Neither company has offered up a *clear* message containing why they wanted to keep fans from getting the full experience of RB3 in 2010. The post that started this thread was a start but this came out way too late after many of us already went through the painful drawn out process of attempting to get pro-guitars for PS3 and other RB3 gear.

Now ... things would be a lot better *if* HMX and MadCatz said before the RB3 release that "pro mode" would not be generally available until 2011 but if you watched the media blitz it was all about the Squier and pro-guitar everwhere you looked. I like the other poster's reference to Apple ... they *plan* their releases and *execute* them with precision. It appears that HMX & MadCatz didn't execute t his very well at all. I hope they hold the people responsible for failing to carry their load and get better people for the next release.

Oh yeah, the EBgames in my neighborhood still doesn't have a PS3 pro guitar in stock. *sigh*

-
  • QuesT_QuesT_ Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Dude we have keyboards and midi adapters galore here in Georgia. I just left Best Buy and Gamestop and they had so many they were still in the main box they shipped in. I wish there was some way I could help people out but I'm not going out and buying a case to hopefully bootleg. If you have friends and family in the states or different states just have them ask around. I know that certain demographic areas get more than others so keep your eyes open!
    edited December 2010
    QuesT_;4237814 said:
    Dude we have keyboards and midi adapters galore here in Georgia. I just left Best Buy and Gamestop and they had so many they were still in the main box they shipped in. I wish there was some way I could help people out but I'm not going out and buying a case to hopefully bootleg. If you have friends and family in the states or different states just have them ask around. I know that certain demographic areas get more than others so keep your eyes open!

sure but i live near one of the busy cities in the U.S. (especially for freight) (Chicago) and we still have no midi adapters any where in the area
  • toad3000toad3000 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Seriously, guys. Newegg.com . Go check it out, they're a reliable supplier (where I order all of my computer parts from), and the PS3 midi adapter I ordered yesterday has already shipped via UPS (Free shipping, no less). Note again, they're listing the 360 version as releasing on 12/31, but they have both the PS3 and Wii versions in stock.
    edited December 2010
    toad3000;4237926 said:
    Seriously, guys. Newegg.com . Go check it out, they're a reliable supplier (where I order all of my computer parts from), and the PS3 midi adapter I ordered yesterday has already shipped via UPS (Free shipping, no less). Note again, they're listing the 360 version as releasing on 12/31, but they have both the PS3 and Wii versions in stock.

that's wonderful the only complaints about the midi adapter are coming from the 360 owners because they released them but they dont have any 360 ones for a reason they cant just come out and say. they seem to love keeping it hidden making it look like they are trying to screw us over into buying the rb3 keyboard or rb3 drums
  • toad3000toad3000 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    dabrry0523;4238114 said:
    that's wonderful the only complaints about the midi adapter are coming from the 360 owners because they released them but they dont have any 360 ones for a reason they cant just come out and say. they seem to love keeping it hidden making it look like they are trying to screw us over into buying the rb3 keyboard or rb3 drums
    Terrific. How about you look into this on the 31st and complain then if it's still not available?
    edited December 2010
    toad3000;4238504 said:
    Terrific. How about you look into this on the 31st and complain then if it's still not available?

these things should of been here since the end of November (orig. Release date) but we still dont have any of them available, and then ps3, and Wii owners have been using them for a month or so, while we 360 people cant even get our hands on one. I got my from amazon, so i have to wait for them to get them....
  • J-Bar-CJ-Bar-C Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Don't bother with they keys for PS3, there glitched to the point of unusable.
  • JoeRockerJoeRocker Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    MadCatz;4236503 said:
    Hey Guys, my name is Alex, the Global PR Manager for Mad Catz. I actually wrote the first post which our buddies at Harmonix posted for us. Guys, I get the frustration but believe it or not, we DO care and we ARE listening.

I have to congratulate MadCatz for at least communicating with us on the forums. To me that is a big step in the right direction. And while I join in the frustration of not being able to find the midi adapter for xbox yet, I believe Madcatz wants to sell us those products just as bad as we want to buy them. I certainly don't believe that the Xboxers are somehow getting the worst of the deal - after all we got the stage kit (blame for abandoning that goes to PDP or RB3, not Madcatz) and all DLC is available immediately. So three cheers for Alex - he stuck his neck out to try and explain things which kind of got him flamed on the board. But the bottom line is that if the Madcatz team members are communicating with us we should encourage it and try to open the stream of communication as much as possible!
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited December 2010
    dabrry0523;4238732 said:
    these things should of been here since the end of November (orig. Release date) but we still dont have any of them available, and then ps3, and Wii owners have been using them for a month or so, while we 360 people cant even get our hands on one. I got my from amazon, so i have to wait for them to get them....

You mean like how the PS3 and Wii users had to wait a month to get Mustangs while the 360 users got them at the game's release? Seriously, just wait til they fix the supply issue. Either that, or try to multi-order and cancel the others after one ships instead of waiting on Amazon who may not be the first to receive stock.
  • maskonemaskone Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    So when can we expect the 360 midi pro adapter? Whats annoying is I was in Best Buy and found the MPA for Wii and PS3 but when I checked the Best Buy website while in the store, they said zero in stock.

Why cant I backorder one from gameshark?
  • JonBobDenverJonBobDenver Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I ordered MPA through Walmart.com on 12/4 and each time I look at the status, it get's pushed back further and further. At the moment it claims that it will arrive sometime between 12/31/10 and 1/5/11. This is not acceptable. I don't care what the reasoning is...considering that it has had several release dates, including 10/26, and never a word from MadCatz on why it wasn't released on that date.

Walmart claims that they have no control over this, that they (Walmart) have not received the product (MPA) from the distributor (MadCatz). I trust this to be a true accounting of reality.

I refuse to purchase the keytard, because it looks like a keytard, and it's small. I've played it on the 360, and not impressed with it's puny size. If it sold for 20 bucks, I'd consider it....yet probably wouldn't purchase it then either. So, I'm waiting on the MPA to play Pro Keys at home, on the PS3. I'll need another one eventually, at least one other, to play pro guitar, when the Squier is available. We'll see how this one works, if it's a failure, which by the MadCatz representative's comments made in this very thread, I'm not holding breath...then I may be abandoning all future RB purchases altogether.

Timing and functioning product is important...a great many glitches in the software...hardware best be up to par considering the long wait...and price.
    edited December 2010
    this is bad news for a lot of us if this is true. according to amazon my order that was placed in October will not ship until February now....... So madcatz please get these things fixed and straightened out quick!!

JoeRocker;4238831 said:
    I have to congratulate MadCatz for at least communicating with us on the forums. To me that is a big step in the right direction. And while I join in the frustration of not being able to find the midi adapter for xbox yet, I believe Madcatz wants to sell us those products just as bad as we want to buy them. I certainly don't believe that the Xboxers are somehow getting the worst of the deal - after all we got the stage kit (blame for abandoning that goes to PDP or RB3, not Madcatz) and all DLC is available immediately. So three cheers for Alex - he stuck his neck out to try and explain things which kind of got him flamed on the board. But the bottom line is that if the Madcatz team members are communicating with us we should encourage it and try to open the stream of communication as much as possible!

your going to congratulate them for letting us know whats up 2 months after the release!!?? they should of been posting since the release of rock band 3 letting us know whats what, and not just sitting in the corner hiding behind Harmonix
  • reweissreweiss Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    I have also been frustrated waiting for the Pro Adapter but I do appreciate Alex (Madcatz) giving us a communication.

I've had my Yamaha midi keyboard for a couple of months now. I am "chomping at the bit" to play in keyboard pro mode.

I reread Alex's message and reading between the lines, it looks like they have had technical problems getting the adatper to work 100%. Madcatz and just about any other company is not going to send out a communication saying "Sorry for the delay, our products is buggy". It undermines confidence in their product. Instead they have chosen to fix the bugs before the adapter is released to game players like us. As anxious as I am, I'd rather have a product that works.

I would just in the future Madcatz at least considerers sending out some form of communication about the delays. Even if the message is "We are working on expanding the ability of the adapter to support a greater number of midi instruments. It will probably take us 2 additional months to ensure the gaming experience is as great as it can be for a larger number of players. We will send out regular updates every month or if something significant changes with the new release date".

Matcatz PR- A basic rule in marketing is people get angry when dates change significantly and there is no explanation. They think the worst. Why not give them information to latch onto instead of letting them think the worst?
    -Randy
  • SwervoSwervo Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Just as a note, I believe Alex said that we'd get more up-to-date and accurate information by asking retailers rather than MadCatz about when the 360 MIDI adapter would be available. Amazon just sent me an email basically saying they have absolutely no idea when it would be in and Best Buy seems to be in the same boat.

This reminds me of once when my family went to one of our favorite restaurants. It was clearly busy, but they told us the wait would only be 15 minutes. After 15 minutes they told us it'd be only another 15 minutes. An hour and a half later, and after some heated exchanges with the manager, we left. I'm feeling the same way...at least there's some communication but it's vague to inaccurate and leaving me asking why I should believe this message after all the previous ones?
  • wrestlefan2wrestlefan2 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    i live in louisiana and checked multiple bestbuys for the midi pro adapter for Wii and can't find it. Anyone from louisiana find it yet?
  • Pyrogenic-RoyPyrogenic-Roy Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    So, what's the problem with RB3 guitars not being available in Canada? And by "guitars", I obviously don't mean the Pro Guitars. I mean the normal, wireless guitars that seem to be everywhere but up north. All we have are the keyboard and the drums...
  • blackbox2342blackbox2342 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    The funny part of this thread is that in the UK there is no availability ...
  • ScafremonScafremon Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Best Buy in Westminster CA had (3) Xbox Midi adapters in stock at noon today...
  • edited December 2010
    I'll give somone anyone 1500 cash on the spot for the squier guitar and ps3 midi adapter....i am joking but, i really will....i have everything else, i guess i'll just get a SECOND mustang so a buddy can play pro bass with me....

do i really ONLY have best buy as an option for the guitar and midi pro adapter??? really???
    edited December 2010
    NateCZzZebramandingo;4240863 said:
    I'll give somone anyone 1500 cash on the spot for the squier guitar and ps3 midi adapter....i am joking but, i really will....i have everything else, i guess i'll just get a SECOND mustang so a buddy can play pro bass with me....

do i really ONLY have best buy as an option for the guitar and midi pro adapter??? really???

for now amazon started shipping wii and ps3 adapters but the only way to get xbox is at best buy

so now its official xbox wont be getting the midi pro adapter until February. this is complete BS now it madcatz came out and said what was going on i wouldn't feel so aggravated but they are not saying anything letting all of us question and wonder when we are going to get them!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • reweissreweiss Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Now I am ticked off. I just got an email from Amazon for the XBox 360 MIDI Pro Adapter I ordered back in November. They are now saying it will be MARCH before I get this adapter. Madcatz needs to provide some explanation. I bought Rock Band 3 and a Yamaha keyboard in good faith that the adapter would be out in November. A 5 month delay without explanation is poor treatment of loyal fans. Both Harmoniz and Matzcatz should be treating their customers better. Harmonix.... you should be looking for a more reliable vendor for future releases. Clearly Madcatz cannot deliver.
  • LambtorLambtor Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    reweiss;4243424 said:
    Now I am ticked off. I just got an email from Amazon for the XBox 360 MIDI Pro Adapter I ordered back in November. They are now saying it will be MARCH before I get this adapter. Madcatz needs to provide some explanation. I bought Rock Band 3 and a Yamaha keyboard in good faith that the adapter would be out in November. A 5 month delay without explanation is poor treatment of loyal fans. Both Harmoniz and Matzcatz should be treating their customers better. Harmonix.... you should be looking for a more reliable vendor for future releases. Clearly Madcatz cannot deliver.

Literally!
    edited December 2010
    reweiss;4243424 said:

Thanks for the head up. I had 2 ordered at Amazon and I just cancelled them. I never received an email stating they would be delayed but when I clicked on the item from my account it shows it is not released until late Feb. Amazon was still showing my items arriving Jan 6th but it would only be a matter of time until I received the same email seeing that the release date is once again pushed back.

As I said in my first post, TOTAL FAIL ON MADCATZ PART!!! Enough said. Harmonix is not to blame, MADCATZ is.. It is most likely they cannot make a working device in an efficient time. I don't know what is so hard, Guitar Hero has had a 360 midi device for years. If Rock Bank would recognize my Guitar Hero midi adapter and turn on pro mode, I would never buy the one from MADCATZ. I don't see why we cannot use the Guitar Hero midi adapter and just map the midi codes differently and get to use pro mode. This is something I think Harmonix should have done. All the midi mapping is done in the electronic drum kit and the midi box just transfers the signals to the Xbox 360.
    edited December 2010
    Scafremon;4240696 said:
    Best Buy in Westminster CA had (3) Xbox Midi adapters in stock at noon today...

Are you willing to purchase and sell if I would pay shipping?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Pyrogenic-Roy;4240039 said:
    So, what's the problem with RB3 guitars not being available in Canada? And by "guitars", I obviously don't mean the Pro Guitars. I mean the normal, wireless guitars that seem to be everywhere but up north. All we have are the keyboard and the drums...

I've seen several of them at Best Buy locations in the Ottawa area (including Gatineau)... even in the week BEFORE RB3 software released, I saw the official MadCatz RB3 GRYBO guitars at Best Buy locations.

Ask store staff and/or look around, including up high. Many of the ones I've seen have been up high atop the 10-foot-high shelving that surrounds the videogame section. They don't tend to keep them at customer eye level.