Unable to load song, skipping.

cypherxcypherx Unsigned
edited July 2013 in Rock Band
Hey. I just got RB3 for Christmas. We used to play it a lot when my friend would come over and we always had a great time. 3 of us usually would play together. So now I have my own copy of RB3 and I was just playing last night with the wife. We usually create 6 song setlists and play them (she sings, I guitar or drum). So the issue is that most of the songs say "Unable to load song, skipping..." and those 6 song setlists quickly turn into 3 song setlists.

So I went into the filter options and turned changed the filtering. I noticed
Downloadable content .. 28 songs
Rock Band Network .. 4 songs
Rock Band 3 .. 87 songs (IIRC).

What is Rock Band Network? It had songs like Johnathan Coltrane and 3EB Jumper, but they said "DEMO" and only played maybe a third of the song.

So I turned off the first two options, and now all the songs play. However most of the good songs are no longer in the list. So I think this has to do when my friend used to come over. He's not signed in, so I guess I can't play the songs that are sitting on my xbox hard drive? How can I get these songs to play?

What if we decide to get some xbox points and download songs? If I turn on the "Downloadable Content" filter, how will I know what songs will play (my downloaded) vs what songs my friends have to come over and sign in to play? Why does Rock Band 3 even SHOW songs in the playlist if a person with authority is not signed in? I might get a 4000 point card soon and grab some good tracks, but I have a feeling it's going to be awfully confusing and frustrating to find songs that actually work, unless I keep a pencil and paper and specifically write out what songs belong to who, and keep a column for what songs I download. I think this is a major design flaw and should be addressed. It should NOT even SHOW the song if the person who bought is not signed in. Some of his songs are awesome and I would re buy them.. but I wouldn't re buy all 28 of them. What do you suggest? Only show downloaded songs, write them all down, then keep a list handy of what's downloaded, under who's account and when?

What if my friend comes over and we are BOTH signed in. If we go to download songs, who's account gets the rights to the song, his or mine?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• shayboshaybo Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    You can play a downloaded song only if

1) you're logged in to XBL online on the account that purchased it (and have re-downloaded it to that machine if it was purchased on another machine),

or

2) you're playing it on the actual machine that it was purchased on (where any profile or no profile can play it)

Your list of songs will show anything that's been downloaded (or re-downloaded) to that machine - in case your buddy logs in at your house. You can delete these songs if you don't want to see them. Your buddy can re-download them if he comes over and wants to play things you don't have after recovering his gamertag on your machine.
  • ZiggyXNAMVPZiggyXNAMVP Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I get the same error all the time. It has nothing to do with re-downloading a song or anything like that, it is just a bug in the game.
  • GreenOakGreenOak Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    We've been getting this error today as well. On 360, the tracks were transferred from my old console to a new one just before RB3 came out. Now it looks like all our old downloads are only available if I'm signed in.
  • shrike13shrike13 Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    ZiggyXNAMVP;4241292 said:
    I get the same error all the time. It has nothing to do with re-downloading a song or anything like that, it is just a bug in the game.

This is definitely NOT a bug in the game. It is entirely related to 360 DLC licensing. There's nothing at all wrong with the game.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    shrike13;4241556 said:
    This is definitely NOT a bug in the game. It is entirely related to 360 DLC licensing. There's nothing at all wrong with the game.

Actually, it could be both. I remember playing with my friends and all the DLC worked, but we invited another friend in and it suddenly didn't work, yet when I played alone with that friend we invited, it was working again. It's really random.
  • cypherxcypherx Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Well my major issue with this game is that it's even SHOWING songs that don't belong to me when my friend isn't over or logged in. I don't know his password either, nor do I care to know it - it would prolly kick him off his console if I used it anyway.
    There's no way to just filter his songs out of the list? I feel like I can filter them all out, but then if I ever go to download my own songs – they would also be filtered out.
    I’d rather not delete them all, because if he comes over and signs in, we can play them without sorting through a 2000 some song list and trying to remember which ones he has. It just seems that there should be a better way to manage DLC, especially when Rock Band touts such a huge library of it. As the DLC continues to grow in size, it’s going to be unwieldy to keep pen and paper lists by the console just to keep track of who’s songs are who’s, so depending on who’s over for the night, you know what songs you can actually choose in a set list. I’m not sure if some sort of organization or filter is a possible add on with a patch, or if it’s such an overhaul that would require a whole new game ie) Rock Band 4, to include something like this.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Bug or not, when this happens I just have to select the song again and it immediately works. I vote for "bug".
  • DarkLotusDarkLotus Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    I'm having the same issue but on PS3... I've even tried re-downloading the song packs but I still get an error
  • NamblinManNamblinMan Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Could you possibly be trying to play songs you don't own but are showing up as recommendations in the song list? If so, try turning off song recommendations.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited December 2010
    I got this trying to go to the Pro Guitar/Bass trainers for the Queen songs I bought the Pro Guitar/Bass upgrade for. First time, I re-downloaded the screwy Pro upgrade, then it worked. Second time, like raynebc said, I just tried again a little later and it worked.
  • NamblinManNamblinMan Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    I'm now in the "it's a bug" camp. I downloaded a bunch of Linkin Park 2 days ago and went to play one of them today (can't remember which one) and got the message.

I was connected to Live, it was on the Xbox I purchased it on, and Song Recommendations was turned off. Tried playing it again after I finished my setlist and it worked fine.

Looks like a bug fo sho!
  • eraserheaderaserhead Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    it's actually a mix of both.
    granted i did get ZERO help in the Support forum, this is the explanation i came up with.

all the licensing stuff is often true. either you play on the console where you originally dowloaded the songs (with any/no gamertag) or play with your gamertag, while connected to the internet, on any other console. for example, if my brother wants to play one of my songs (originally downloaded on my xbox) on his new one, he has to connect an extra controller signed in with my gamertag.

i noticed that it doesn't always work like that: yesterday he managed to play I'm shipping up to Boston (downloaded with my GT on my console) on his one, without having my GT signed in.
    somehow the game randomly messes up the license check and lets you play "external" songs, if you get what i mean.

this may very well happen the other way around: even if you're playing on the original console with the gamertag used for purchase, it won't let you access the song (it happened to me a couple of times - my xbox, my gamertag, my song... game skipps it).

i'm 100% convinced that it's a mix of both licenses and bugs.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    cypherx;4240933 said:
    What is Rock Band Network? It had songs like Johnathan Coltrane and 3EB Jumper, but they said "DEMO" and only played maybe a third of the song.

hehehe.

John Coltrane is (was) a legendary jazz saxophonist. He has no songs on RB in any form.

Jonathan Coulton is the novelty songwriter behind the liked of "Code Monkey" and "Ikea". He has songs both on RBN and as HMX-published Rock Band downloadable content.
  • The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Here is my guess:

You get the "can't load song skipping" when before the patch you would get the crate freeze screen. So instead of trying to load it and freezing, the patch made it so that it will skip the song so you don't have to reset your game. I've had the "can't load" message come up on a single song, and then immediately try to play the song again and it would work.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    This happened to me 2-3 times before the patched was released on the 360, never again after its release.
  • GreenOakGreenOak Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    It still happens occasionally to me - including with fresh DLC on my account - retrying has worked every time.

It's either a bug in the game ofr issues getting the authorisation from MS
  • GraphicMangGraphicMang Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    Nice to know its not just me, reccently I got this error when doing online play with 1 other person. We had made a setlist of the new Linkin Park songs, played song 1 fine then it errored out on song 2, she immed me asking if I knew why the song wouldnt load. We selected just that song and yeah it worked fine LOL
  • Whizzer191Whizzer191 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    NamblinMan;4259175 said:
    I'm now in the "it's a bug" camp. I downloaded a bunch of Linkin Park 2 days ago and went to play one of them today (can't remember which one) and got the message.

I was connected to Live, it was on the Xbox I purchased it on, and Song Recommendations was turned off. Tried playing it again after I finished my setlist and it worked fine.

Looks like a bug fo sho!
    I had the same problem, last Tuesday, but with the new Queen Packs. I bought them with all Pro Upgrades (I'm getting the Squier eventually), and decided to play them all in a setlist, on Pro Drums. It gave the skip error three times, but after I was done, I hadn't played 6 of the 13 songs. I could play them fine afterwards. This is also the only time I've had this problem.
    The_Wurm;4259501 said:
    Here is my guess:

You get the "can't load song skipping" when before the patch you would get the crate freeze screen. So instead of trying to load it and freezing, the patch made it so that it will skip the song so you don't have to reset your game. I've had the "can't load" message come up on a single song, and then immediately try to play the song again and it would work.

I've had this error once (see above in this post). I would get the crate freeze screen regularly before the patch, but never again after the patch. I doubt this is the case for everyone.
  • J-Bar-CJ-Bar-C Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    Did the latest patch disable "DLC Swapping" on the PS3?
    I noticed today it wouldn't load songs my friend bought but it would load mine fine
    edited February 2011
    Or maybe it was the fact I deleted his profile off my PS3 today?
    edited February 2011
    The latter. It would be something along the lines of only the profile that purchased DLC could use it.
    edited February 2011
    thanks, hopefully I won't have to re-dl everything
  • tomgrahamtomgraham Unsigned
    edited January 2012
    i just got this message, I have transfered rb2, lego and ACDC and none of them will work .my xbox wont connect to xbox live. do i have to be connected to the internet to play the songs. if so, that is stupid. please help
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited January 2012
    It looks like you're running into DRM problems. If your songs don't work and you're not connected to Live, it sounds like you're trying to use that stuff on the 360 that did not originally download it. The thinking is, "OK, your Gamertag is logged into Live, so you are you, we'll let you use your stuff" or "Well, this is the 360 that you first downloaded this onto, so it's obviously* your Xbox, so we'll let you use it".

So you either need to be logged onto Live or relicense all of the stuff under your Gamertag to the Xbox you're trying to use.

*"Obviously", since there are plenty of reasons as to why that would not obviously be the case
  • DeathKnightRuinDeathKnightRuin Unsigned
    edited March 2012
    For xbox: (copied directly from the Microsoft website) I use 2 profiles on and off and this fixed my issue.

What is a 'roaming' Xbox 360 console?

The term “roaming” refers to using content that you purchased on one Xbox 360 console on another Xbox 360 console. For example, you may download a game from Xbox LIVE Game Marketplace to your Xbox 360 console. You may then take the hard drive that contains that game and attach the drive to another console. When you attach the hard drive and sign in to Xbox LIVE, you can play the game without any restrictions.

Note For such roaming to be allowed, you must be connected to Xbox LIVE by using the profile that purchased the content so that the usage rights can be verified.
    Transfer content licenses

License Transfer:

You can transfer content licenses from one console to another once every four months.

If your console was recently repaired, or if you’ve purchased a new console, use the license transfer option on your console to transfer content licenses. Here’s how:

On your console, sign in to Xbox LIVE using the gamertag that you used to purchase the content.

Go to the Settings, and then select Account.

Go to Your Billing Options, and then select License Transfer.

Follow the on-screen instructions to transfer the content licenses.

After the licenses are transferred, you need to download the content again to update the local licenses. This way the content can be used by other profiles on your console and when you’re not connected to Xbox LIVE.
  • lightsup55lightsup55 Opening Act
    edited March 2012
    I noticed this to be a problem even when DRM licenses are on the console.

Check ALL DLC (including imports, Rock Band Network, and other DLC) for duplicate songs and/or song packs. You'll need to check "Rock Band" (old/legacy DLC), "Rock Band 2" (old RBN v1.0 DLC) and "Rock Band 3" (RBN v2.0 and new DLC).

When you find a duplicate DLC file (same name), delete them both and re-download that item.

I've had this happen with my Bon Jovi Greatest Hits pack, which I somehow had 2 files with exactly the same name.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited March 2012
    EDIT: Disregard this, I only read the first page.
  • Sp3eDSp3eD Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    I know this is kind of bumping an old topic, but I had this happen to me 3 times yesterday. All 3 songs (Clash - Rock the Cazbah, Queen - Bicycle Race, and Shinedown - Second Chance) were pro guitar / bass chart songs (though I had nobody on the actual pro instruments). If it is a licensing thing that people have been saying, then it is only on pro guitar / bass songs in my experience. It has happened to me before and again it only happens on Pro songs (Def Lepard - Pour Some Sugar on Me (Live) was another one I remember)

It happens so infrequently that I haven't posted about it, but yesterday it was annoying to have to create another setlist just to play the skipped songs.
    edited April 2012
    It's happened to me on pro keys, and I'm pretty sure it's happened on songs I've played before. I doubt it's a licensing issue, it's just another bug from a sizable list of bugs with the game.
  • Skynyrd45Skynyrd45 Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    I had this happen to me last night. If was extra annoying because we were trying to finish one of the road challenges, which if this happens during that, it kills ur progress and you have to do that mini set again.

The first time we tried the second song, Machinehead, we received the skipping song message. Tried the set again with different songs, played the first 2 songs fine, the last song was Polly, again song skipped message. Tried the set one last time, first song was Yellow, song skipped.

So it does seem to be something with the Pro upgrades, as I own the Machinehead, Polly, and Yellow Pro parts. I was not playing with any pro instruments.

I was very baffled by this since I was connected to xbox live, and I purchased these songs on this console. Glad to find this thread to know that i wasnt just going loony.