Best Beatles Single of All Time

TheHunterX360TheHunterX360 Unsigned
edited February 2011 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Hello TB:RB Forum, in your guy's opinion what is the best Beatles Single of all time. Either by which one had the best A side, B side or Both. This poll only includes songs that were available on Past Masters Vol 1 & 2 so no Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane ect. If you pick other please specify.

Comments

• TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited January 2011
    Best single would be between Paperback Writer/Rain, Hey Jude/Revolution, and Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever. But I'd say the last might squeak into #1 for me.
  • TheHunterX360TheHunterX360 Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    For me it was a close tie between Paperback Writer/Rain and Hey Jude/Revolution, but I felt that Rain is the best B-side Beatles Single.
  • Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    TheHunterX360;4248735 said:
    This poll only includes songs that were available on Past Masters Vol 1 & 2 so no Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane ect. If you pick other please specify.
    Um. but Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane was never released on an album in the UK until the 70s.
  • TheHunterX360TheHunterX360 Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    Magical Mystery Tour. I'm using what apple considers the canon albums for reference.
  • Arsenal-LadArsenal-Lad Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    I voted for Paperback Writer/Rain because together they're really great. I think both Hey Jude and She Loves You are better songs than the Paperback Writer single but their B sides are weaker.
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I'd say Hey Jude/Revolution. Hey Jude is a top 5 beatles song all time and Revolution is a top 20.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    No doubt Hey Jude/Revolution
  • beatlesfan99beatlesfan99 Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    Hey Jude/Revolution obviously...
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    I've never gotten all the love for "Hey Jude." :confused: I think it's far and away the group's most overrated song. Anyway, I'm going with "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields Forever," even though both songs SHOULD have been put on Sgt. Pepper and would've made it a stronger album (most likely at the expense of "Fixing a Hole" and "Lovely Rita").
  • iRNProiRNPro Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    I must say that I like Hey Jude/Revolution, but I really like Paperback Writer as well...
  • thatdrummerguythatdrummerguy Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    I like a lot of the A-sides' but Revolution is my favourite B-side.
  • JoeSaintsFanJoeSaintsFan Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    HotMangoChutney;4278467 said:
    I've never gotten all the love for "Hey Jude." :confused: I think it's far and away the group's most overrated song. Anyway, I'm going with "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields Forever," even though both songs SHOULD have been put on Sgt. Pepper and would've made it a stronger album (most likely at the expense of "Fixing a Hole" and "Lovely Rita").

Actually, George Martin said if it were up to him he would replace When I'm 64 with either SFF or Penny Lane and put the other two as a single and on MMT. In my opinion, however, that would have hurt MMT more than it would have helped SPLHCB, so I'm glad it is the way it is.
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    JoeSaintsFan;4279833 said:
    Actually, George Martin said if it were up to him he would replace When I'm 64 with either SFF or Penny Lane and put the other two as a single and on MMT. In my opinion, however, that would have hurt MMT more than it would have helped SPLHCB, so I'm glad it is the way it is.

But MMT is technically just a 'half-album'... with a few single sides thrown on to make a side 2 on this side of the pond. :rolleyes:

As I've said before, I feel the main problem with Sgt. Pepper is that it was too Paul-heavy (of the 13 tracks, he wrote -- or, at least, was the primary writer -- of 8 of them... and also had a pivotal contribution to one of John's songs). Well, OK, that in itself isn't the main problem (most of the group's early albums, after all, were fairly John-heavy... especially A Hard Day's Night). But I feel Sgt. Pepper is the one Beatles album (not including Yellow Submarine) to which Paul did NOT contribute one of his all-time greatest compositions (the title track and its reprise come about the closest for me). Please Please Me had "I Saw Her Standing There." With The Beatles had "All My Loving." A Hard Day's Night had "And I Love Her," "Can't Buy Me Love," and "Things We Said Today." Beatles for Sale had "I'll Follow the Sun." Help! had "The Night Before," "I've Just Seen a Face," and (though it's gotten to be a bit overrated) "Yesterday." Rubber Soul had "Drive My Car," "You Won't See Me," "Michelle," and "I'm Looking Through You." Revolver had "Eleanor Rigby," "Here There and Everywhere," "Good Day Sunshine," "For No One," and "Got to Get You Into My Life." Magical Mystery Tour had "The Fool on the Hill" (and, if you count the whole compilation, "Penny Lane"). The White Album had "Back in the USSR," "Martha My Dear," "Blackbird," "I Will," "Birthday," "Mother Nature's Son," "Helter Skelter," and "Honey Pie." Abbey Road had "Oh! Darling" and all of the Medley save "Sun King," "Mean Mr. Mustard," and "Polythene Pam." And Let It Be had "Two of Us," "Let It Be," I've Got a Feeling," and "Get Back."
  • xizorkatarnxizorkatarn Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    No love for Something/Come Together? Wow.
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    If it's not most favorite, Hey Jude/Revolution takes the cake.
  • AppleScruff88AppleScruff88 Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    Something/Come Together!!
  • albertablueskyalbertabluesky Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    I've Just Seen a Face...haven't thought about that song in a long time...it's recently been covered by a female artist, funny how the words came just like that when I heard it...