What's the state of RBN on the PS3 now?

mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
edited January 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I switched from play RB on my PS3 to my Xbox just to get full and immediate access to RBN content. That was early last year--what's happened since then?

How many PS3 RBN songs are there? (For the Xbox, there are 809 as of today's additions). Can you download songs for free on a demo basis and play a little of the charts before buying? (When I switched, there weren't even audio preview clips).

Comments

• MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Well, there's been 5 songs per week, every week, starting April 22, 2010. Approximately 150 songs are available.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    MattyT;4254021 said:
    Well, there's been 5 songs per week, every week, starting April 22, 2010. Approximately 150 songs are available.
    I should have figured that I could just calculate the number--this is the 39th week since April 22nd, so there should be 195 by the after the 13th. Demos and/or preview clips?
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited January 2011
    MattyT;4254021 said:

And it looks like that's a steady pattern, so you got a good deal switching if you're liking the music
    edited January 2011
    nascarfan19;4254024 said:
    And it looks like that's a steady pattern, so you got a good deal switching if you're liking the music
    There were several that I just had to have and since the meager number that Sony was willing to release every week are cherry-picked from among the most popular, there was no guarantee that they'd ever come to the PS3.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I'm a PS3 owner. There're about ten tracks now on XBL RBN that I'd buy if they were made available on PS RBN (though this just ticked down by one today - The Shins' "Saint Simon" made the PS3 list).

Is it a shame that I can't access those tracks I want? Absolutely. But to me, the benefit of being on PS3 ... some of which are personal (the friends I visit/host to play RB play on PS3 so our instruments work on one anothers' consoles), some of which are policy driven (I have 2 PS3s and I can buy the content once and have it coexist fully functionally on both; I've replaced my PS3 hard drives with much bigger ones at a much lower cost than doing the same on my Xbox would cost because Sony allows any standard SATA drive while to go over 16GB on Xbox one needs to buy overpriced proprietary drives), and some by the simple fact that I was already so invested (in DLC, exported content, and hardware) in PS3 before RBN came along that switching trains was not a reasonable option.

So while it sucks that I may never be able to play "Whatever Is Wrong With You", "Flightless Bird American Mouth", "Your Hands (Together)", "Dawn of a Million Souls", or the three Free Spirit songs... when weighing that against the balance of things I like about RB on the PS3 I'm sure I made the right choice for me.
    edited January 2011
    thatmarkguy;4254058 said:
    ...some of which are policy driven (I have 2 PS3s and I can buy the content once and have it coexist fully functionally on both; I've replaced my PS3 hard drives with much bigger ones at a much lower cost than doing the same on...
    I am so frickin' tired of that tale :rolleyes:. Anyone can use any XBL DLC on the console where you purchased it and the account which purchased it can use it when logged into to any console. The fact that I have to log into to XBL on other consoles when I want to use DLC I've purchased isn't much of a burden.

That said, it does sound as if you made the right choice for you. I still own my PS3 and use it pretty often (for Vudu and Netflix), though I haven't played any games on it in the past year or so.
    edited January 2011
    Can anyone tell me if the PS3 has preview clips and/or demo downloads for PSN now?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    mikeyts;4254072 said:
    Can anyone tell me if the PS3 has preview clips and/or demo downloads for PSN now?

I don't know why nobody answered this: No. Well, no for demos. I haven't heard if the previews work or not, but I don't think so.

Good news is, each song has a brief clip to listen to in the Song Finder. Less good news is at least 90% of all songs have a YouTube presense of some sort, and since the songs that make the jump to PS3 tend to be the more popular one, there are probably a higher percentage of those.

The bad news is the Song Finder doesn't have an option to sort by PS3. But you can sort by that option on the Wiki list.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited January 2011
    Still no preview clips. Although a very few people seem to have them.
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I had a 60gb launch PS3. It had functional RBN previews, but then it broke a few months ago and I had to buy a 120gb slim. This system does not allow me to preview RBN songs audio clips
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the info. It looks as though I made the right decision for me. I've bought about 30 RBN tracks that aren't available on the PS3, at least 5 of which are among my very favorite guitar charts. Also, I bought a Mad Catz wooden Strat replica on sale which I love, not available for the PS3.

Thanks again!