RBN2.0 Genre Structure

FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
edited January 2011 in The Rock Band Network
So the new version of Magma was released, like, an hour ago. Does what it's supposed to, everything's fine and dandy. I'm weird though, so I paid attention to the new genre structure that appeared. And here it is. New genres/subgenres are blue, while old subgenres that've been moved are in red.

Alternative
Alternative
College
Other

Blues
Acoustic
Chicago
Classic
Contemporary
Country
Delta
Electric
Other

Classical
Classical

Classic Rock
Classic Rock

Country
Alternative
Bluegrass
Contemporary
Honky Tonk
Outlaw
Traditional Folk
Other

Emo
Emo

Fusion
Fusion

Glam
Glam
Goth
Other

Grunge
Grunge

Hip-Hop/Rap
Alternative Rap
Gangsta
Hardcore Rap
Hip-Hop
Old-School Hip Hop
Rap
Trip-Hop
Underground Rap
Other

Indie Rock
Indie Rock
Low-Fi
Math Rock
Noise
Post-Rock
Shoegazing
Other

Inspirational
Inspirational

Jazz
Acid Jazz
Contemporary
Experimental
Ragtime
Smooth
Other

J-Rock
J-Rock

Latin
Latin

Metal
Alternative
Black
Core
Death
Hair
Industrial
Metal
Power
Prog
Speed
Thrash
Other

New Wave
Dark Wave
Electroclash
New Wave
Synthpop
Other

Novelty
Novelty

Nu-Metal
Nu-Metal

Pop/Dance/Electronic
Ambient
Breakbeat
Chiptune
Dance
Downtempo
Dub
Drum and Bass
Electronica
Garage
Hardcore Dance
House
Industrial
Techno
Trance
Other

Pop-Rock
Contemporary
Pop
Soft Rock
Teen
Other

Prog
Prog Rock

Punk
Alternative
Classic
Dance Punk
Garage
Hardcore
Pop
Other

R&B/Soul/Funk
Disco
Funk
Motown
Rhythm and Blues
Soul
Other

Reggae/Ska
Reggae
Ska
Other

Rock
Arena
Blues
Folk Rock
Garage
Hard Rock
Psychedelic
Rock
Rockabilly
Rock and Roll
Surf
Other

Southern Rock
Southern Rock

World
World

Other
A Capella
Acoustic
Contemporary Folk
Experimental
Oldies
Other

Comments

• FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited January 2011
    J-Rock!?

Japanese is confirmed as a language in RBN 2.0?
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4261990 said:
    J-Rock!?

Yes, that and german were added.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2011
    Some good changes. Still not quite as deep as I would like, but it's better.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited January 2011
    kingtonyx;4262023 said:
    Some good changes. Still not quite as deep as I would like, but it's better.

That's what she said.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2011
    Would like to see goth seperated from glam and given it's own genre tag, as well as possibly changing the emo tag to read emo/post-hardcore, but I otherwise wholeheartedly approve of the changes they made.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Starfleet_Rambo;4262038 said:
    That's what she said.
    lol

ontopic: yaaay for german language at last
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited January 2011
    Runesmith;4262043 said:
    Would like to see goth seperated from glam and given it's own genre tag, as well as possibly changing the emo tag to read emo/post-hardcore, but I otherwise wholeheartedly approve of the changes they made.

This, and I kind of want to see the screamo subgenre too, but I'm sure all the metalcore bands constantly coming out of the pipeline would mislabel themselves with that then. I think Goth and Industrial should have their own genres. They have quite the variance to them. Indie Rock and Metal should be a little more fuller in subgenres too.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Now I just wish it was possible for bands/charters to go in and retroactively change the genres to reflect the ones that are now available. And that goes for regular DLC/on-disc songs too (I assume the next update will also apply to genre sorting for Harmonix-produced DLC). It's super-annoying to have one of the Bob Marley tracks filed correctly under Reggae/Ska and the rest under Other, for example.

OP, I too am weird about this stuff. How they choose to setup genres is kinda fascinating.

And I agree that Industrial and Goth would make good super-genres. I'd also vote to split Reggae/Ska (Bob Marley and the Slackers in the same category? Weird). I might also vote for a Soundtrack category, or at least subcategory under Novelty.

For the most part though, these are great adjustments.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty excited about the Japanese option, being one of the few playtesters out there that could actually legitly playtest Japanese vocals. Heh... Looking forward to seeing what people put out.
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    The heck is Inspirational?

Classical, Hip-Hop/Rap, Pop/Dance/Electronic, and World are interesting. Latin is more than welcome. J-rock is, too, to a lesser extent.

And yeah, Goth needs to go somewhere else entirely.

Also, interesting. Urban is entirely gone.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    ZosoBaron;4263910 said:
    The heck is Inspirational?

Anything religious. This wording doesn't exclude any religions like "Christian Rock" would.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    ZosoBaron;4263910 said:
    Also, interesting. Urban is entirely gone.

Not entirely. All of its electronic subgenres are under Pop/Dance/Electronic, while the hip-hop and rap are under Hip-Hop/Rap. I'd consider that genre the "new" Urban.
  • RyoandrRyoandr Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4261990 said:
    J-Rock!?

DragoonXD;4262010 said:
    Yes, that and german were added.
    BGC full collection plz.
  • revengefanrevengefan Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    Can we even see these subgenres in the Rock Band 3 store? I don't see subgenres at all. I remember that I could see them in the RBN store in RB2. Are they just not showing up in the Rock Band 3 store now?
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    revengefan;4264200 said:
    Can we even see these subgenres in the Rock Band 3 store? I don't see subgenres at all. I remember that I could see them in the RBN store in RB2. Are they just not showing up in the Rock Band 3 store now?
    When you browse the RBN songs, and you sort by genre, it will give you the sub-genres.
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4264083 said:
    Not entirely. All of its electronic subgenres are under Pop/Dance/Electronic, while the hip-hop and rap are under Hip-Hop/Rap. I'd consider that genre the "new" Urban.

I knew that the subgenres were moved. I just meant that the Urban genre itself was being retired.
  • BrutalBrianBrutalBrian Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    That's a huge collection of genres. Other than the obvious Goth and Industrial moves, why is Trip Hop under Hip Hop/Rap? Shouldn't that be under Electronic? And what if someone wanted to do some work for an EBM, Electro, or Futurepop artist, where would it go?