The rock band network ska-pack!

asiansteevasiansteev Opening Act
edited December 2011 in The Rock Band Network
So when this Rock Band Network thing was announced over a year ago, I had the realization that I had the power to fill my own requests for Rock Band songs! For serious!
That being said, ever since the begining of Rock Band I've wanted a 3-pack of ska. It's a pretty broad genre and I've been listening to it for longer than almost any other.
So... I did it. I started contacting some of my favorite ska bands, and I DID IT!! I CREATED THE (unofficial) ROCK BAND SKA-PACK!
Here it is, I hope you enjoy it!!!

The Setlist!

Fatter Than Albert - Better Sleep
Thick, jazzy New Orleans ska. It's as much jazz-hardcore as it is ska. It's got crazy time-signatures, singy AND screamy vocals, and those drums... oh man those drums. Is it jazz where the drummer does whatever crazy thing he wants each and every measure? CRAZY.
Full disclosure: Pro-drums has some misplaced cymbals. I blame not being able to test the pro-drums in RB2.
RIYL: Voodoo Glow Skulls, Link 80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90K7jBtm7u4

The Taj Motel Trio - OaOaO
Third-wave singalong ska! This is like the ska-punk we used to listen to in high-school. It's fast and it's poppy. This entire album is super-infectiously catchy and I recommend you find it. God these guys are good.
RIYL: Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjytZ-7HPY

The Pinstripes - Come On In
Rounding out the ska pack is some dancehall reggae ska/rocksteady. This is quality dance music right here. Being from the middle of KY means that I have to drive a couple hours for a good show... and when these guys play shows in Cincinnati, you better believe I'm there.
Be sure to check out the dancehall vocals in the video below around 2:45.
Approved, should drop between now and next Tuesday!
RIYL: The Slackers, The Toasters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w61SyUszmvk

Comments

• PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    OaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaWeSoMe :D
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I love you for bringing such awesome ska to Rock Band. :D
  • TheAuthorityClintonTheAuthorityClinton Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    The Slackers didn't make the cut?

durp. Nevermind. I didn't notice you authored all of those. Sweet!
  • asiansteevasiansteev Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    DragoonXD;4263204 said:
    I love you for bringing such awesome ska to Rock Band. :D
    i love harmonix for letting play in their sandbox. and i love you for playing in it with me!
    TheAuthorityClinton;4263233 said:
    The Slackers didn't make the cut?
    i crapped myself when i saw the slackers hit RBN. i'm giving you an honorable mention ;)
    edited January 2011
    the pinstripes - come on in is up on error420!
    as soon as the official release next tuesday, i'll create a setlist!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w61SyUszmvk
    wooooooooh!
  • dethklokdethklok Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Pretty good list. Can't wait.

PS: Needs more Streetlight Manifesto :P
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    You're the one who brought Better Sleep to RBN?

I f***ing love you.
    edited January 2011
    The Pinstripes - Come On In is official!!!
    http://www.rockband.com/songs/UGC_5005232

It's done! The Rock Band Network Ska-Pack is complete!!! I will have a set-list up momentarily, but I had to express my excitement as immediately as possible.
    WOOOOOOOOOH!!
    edited January 2011
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited January 2011
    The other two don't do much for me, but I really like the punk-ska sound of OaOaO so I just bought it. Thanks for drawing some attention to this genre!
  • Deca TarceDeca Tarce Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    I love you, great pack :)

Possibly more to come some day?
    edited January 2011
    Deca Tarce;4271273 said:
    I love you, great pack :)

Possibly more to come some day?

i certainly wouldn't say i'm done with ska. these are just the three that i planned on doing from the beginning. i've actually got masters for another amazing band from community records (http://www.communityrecords.org) and i've been talking to another independent ska band recently...
    so yes. i'd say more to come some day ;)
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    asiansteev;4263183 said:

Fatter Than Albert - Better Sleep
    The Taj Motel Trio - OaOaO

Not really a fan of the screaming, so the Fatter Than Albert song was lost on me, but those other two songs were fantastic. Nice job.

Hope to see some more ska come down the line and maybe one of them might sneak its way to the PS3 some week.
    edited February 2011
    Flan26;4277213 said:
    Not really a fan of the screaming, so the Fatter Than Albert song was lost on me, but those other two songs were fantastic. Nice job.
    thanks! you were never a fan of voodoo glow skulls or link 80?
  • nanowerxnanowerx Opening Act
    edited February 2011

Never heard this before, but it is an awesome song, just bought it. Thanks!
    edited February 2011
    nanowerx;4290117 said:

Never heard this before, but it is an awesome song, just bought it. Thanks!

haha, i love that in this very thread someone has loved each of the three songs. i really appreciate it, i hope you enjoy it!!
  • Drumminjay108Drumminjay108 Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    So, any chance of redoing these songs for RBN 2.0?
  • darknessmoondarknessmoon Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    asiansteev;4271357 said:
    i certainly wouldn't say i'm done with ska. these are just the three that i planned on doing from the beginning. i've actually got masters for another amazing band from community records (http://www.communityrecords.org) and i've been talking to another independent ska band recently...
    so yes. i'd say more to come some day ;)

Community Records, huh? I hope you have something in line for "A Billion Ernies..." I could have sworn that long before the RBN came out and there was a list of "potential" songs in the pipeline, there was one by them, but it never came to be... Would love for this to happen!
    edited February 2011
    Drumminjay108;4301698 said:

i can say with quite a bit of certainty that i will not be redoing any songs for RBN 2.0. I am focusing all of my RBN efforts towards new songs (potentially returning to some bands).
    Having multiple versions of a song in RBN feels very dirty to me. Call me OCD :)
    darknessmoon;4301880 said:
    Community Records, huh? I hope you have something in line for "A Billion Ernies..." I could have sworn that long before the RBN came out and there was a list of "potential" songs in the pipeline, there was one by them, but it never came to be... Would love for this to happen!

That was indeed I who brought up A Billion Ernies as a potential RBN band. They are still a possibility, potentially for RBN Ska-pack 2.
  • MrJellyBeanMrJellyBean Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for getting these songs up. Ska is my favorite genre and I buy every ska song that comes to RBN the day it's available. Hopefully with RBN 2.0 we'll see more ska since keys are now possible. Hope to see lots more in the future.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Drumminjay108;4301698 said:

Any update on LTJ? RBN2 is here, and I can't wait to play their music.
    edited February 2011
    TubaDude49;4309929 said:
    Any update on LTJ? RBN2 is here, and I can't wait to play their music.

haha, i saw less than jake just a couple weeks ago here in lexington, ky. was a mighty fun time.
    but no... i haven't contacted them. i've contacted a couple bands that are or were as popular as them in the late 90s, but i never got very far in those discussions.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    asiansteev;4309939 said:
    haha, i saw less than jake just a couple weeks ago here in lexington, ky. was a mighty fun time.
    but no... i haven't contacted them. i've contacted a couple bands that are or were as popular as them in the late 90s, but i never got very far in those discussions.

Sorry, got off topic. I just know that drumminjay had been in contact and said he was going to get back to them after RBN2 tools came out, which was a while back
  • Drumminjay108Drumminjay108 Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    TubaDude49;4309953 said:
    Sorry, got off topic. I just know that drumminjay had been in contact and said he was going to get back to them after RBN2 tools came out, which was a while back

I have tried but no answer's. Things might have feel through with whoever they were working with so asiansteev you should try and get them.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2011
    Hate to bump a thread out of nowhere, but I love this genre and I wonder if there's any news on ska artists in general? Have there been any ska releases that I've missed? RBN is so massive now it's hard to keep track
    edited December 2011
    don't mean to dig up old threads, but it's been a year since the ska-pack was complete... here's a code for 2 of the songs on xbox live.
    WF7X7-4GRP6-QMCWG-CT8MJ-GCXHJ

i have a couple more codes. if you're interested, reply to this thread with the name of your favorite ska album released in the past 5 years. first come, first serve... 2 codes available!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, I'll buy the songs later.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited December 2011
    I'd dig a code. It'd be a nice consolation prize for staying home sick today (I like the songs, too).

Haven't listened to too much recent ska, but I liked the recent Aquabats record, Hi-Five Soup!

Thanks a bunch, if I get it. I haven't tried the code posted above, so it may be unclaimed.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited December 2011
    Ill Scarlet's 2007 Album All Day With It.
    edited December 2011
    both codes sent!...
    i've got two more if you guys are interested! same rules. go!