Will a Wii guitar dongle work with other guitars?

MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
edited January 2011 in Rock Band
My rock band 2guitar broke recently, and we found another rock band 2 guitar used on ebay for 26.50. It doesnt come with the dongle (the reciever), but i want to know if the one i have will work with another guitar. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited January 2011
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    edited January 2011
    Am I sure that a dongle can't tell apart two identical signals from two guitars? Maybe.

Do you think it's gonna yell at you or something? It's a wireless dongle, it's not tied to the guitar it's packaged with, if it was, how do you think a guitar with no dongle would sell on eBay?
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I have a RB2 sunburst Strat & a blue RB3 Strat - I can use the dongle from one w/ the other guitar & vice versa.

Only compatibility issue I have come across - when using the RB3 dongle w/ the RB2 Strat, OD activation is sketchy - either hard to activate via tilt motion or it activates all on it's own once your OD meter makes it to the halfway "charged" point.

This is on Wii, BTW.

edit: - I aslo own a now unused RB1 Wii Strat that had it's dongle die on me. It DOES NOT connect with either RB2 or RB3 dongles.
    edited January 2011
    jwebb1970;4267289 said:
    Only compatibility issue I have come across - when using the RB3 dongle w/ the RB2 Strat, OD activation is sketchy - either hard to activate via tilt motion or it activates all on it's own once your OD meter makes it to the halfway "charged" point.
    Sure that's not just an aged tilt sensor?
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4267290 said:
    Sure that's not just an aged tilt sensor?

Works fine with the RB2 dongle last I checked. But you never know - that could be the problem. The RB3 Strat gets the lions share of use now, though. RB2 Strat has been relegated to backup status - or if a 2nd guitarist/bassist is in the living room at the time.
    edited January 2011
    jwebb1970;4267297 said:
    Works fine with the RB2 dongle last I checked. But you never know - that could be the problem. The RB3 Strat gets the lions share of use now, though. RB2 Strat has been relegated to backup status - or if a 2nd guitarist/bassist is in the living room at the time.
    If I had to guess, I'd say the harder activation is just an illusion. Since you've got the random activation at half, you're probably more prone to thinking of activation issues as a dongle problem, even if they're present with both dongles.

As for the non-tipped activation, maybe the RB3 dongle has something in it that makes it more sensitive to tips, and it causes random firing in aging models that are having tilt issues.