Is it tacky for an author to hold a top spot on the leaderboard of their own song?

asiansteevasiansteev Opening Act
edited January 2011 in The Rock Band Network
so here's the series of events for me, every time a song comes out that i authored...
1. receive email that song has been approved (and believe me, once this happens, there's no stopping steps 2-7).
2. get overly excited and go to error420 and start repeatedly pressing f5.
3. purchase song.
4. play song, of course.
5. think to self, "i can do better than that"
6. repeat 4 and 5 until satisfied with score.
7. realize i'm the only person on the leaderboard since the song has only been out for an hour or so.

that's not to say my scores are particularly impressive or unbeatable; it just seems like it might be tacky to purchase a RBN song, check the leaderboard and see that the author is #1 already. like they have an advantage because they authored it (maybe a slight advantage, since all the playtesting counts as practice).
anyway, what do you guys think?

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. Hell, I doubt even 1% of the people purchasing the song would even notice.

On the other hand, I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to draw a parallel between this and Nazism before the day's over, so let's see.
  • asiansteevasiansteev Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    haha, yeah. generally i'm bumped down past top 20 by the time the song "officially" releases on the following tuesday.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    asiansteev;4268688 said:
    so here's the series of events for me, every time a song comes out that i authored...
    1. receive email that song has been approved (and believe me, once this happens, there's no stopping steps 2-7).
    2. get overly excited and go to error420 and start repeatedly pressing f5.
    3. purchase song.
    4. play song, of course.
    5. think to self, "i can do better than that"
    6. repeat 4 and 5 until satisfied with score.
    7. realize i'm the only person on the leaderboard since the song has only been out for an hour or so.

that's not to say my scores are particularly impressive or unbeatable; it just seems like it might be tacky to purchase a RBN song, check the leaderboard and see that the author is #1 already. like they have an advantage because they authored it (maybe a slight advantage, since all the playtesting counts as practice).
    anyway, what do you guys think?

I wouldn't think that we authors have too much of an advantage just because we authored the track, at least not on every case. I know the drum chart for Creatures ov Deception inside and out, but I have no chance of even passing it on Expert even now.

I also don't think it's a problem if we top the leaderboards in our own songs on day 1. We love the songs we work on, we're excited when they're released and it's natural to want to play them once they're out. We can't be faulted for that. The alternative would be not playing them at all or waiting to play it, and I don't feel we should be deprived of enjoying our own songs for something like this. Besides, if we really aren't that good anyways, someone will knock us off that pedestal in time, and this becomes a non-issue.

All I know right now is I now want to grab whatever of your songs I haven't yet grabbed and see if I can knock you out of that top spot. :P
    edited January 2011
    Arcanon;4268706 said:
    All I know right now is I now want to grab whatever of your songs I haven't yet grabbed and see if I can knock you out of that top spot. :P
    haha, the one that i felt super-guilty about was "ride your bike - coat rack"
    i 100% it on expert guitar and 99% on expert bass almost immediately. i've been knocked down to 4th on both now though, so i feel a little better about it now :)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited January 2011
    If it makes you feel any better I'm the same way.

Once a song comes out I can't wait to play it.

I know my band is the #1 spot on Stereo Stereo leaderboards.

So far no one has knocked us down, and I'm not a l33t player by any stretch of the imagination.

I doubt the same will hold true for the Ziltoid tracks.

Those songs are gonna eat my face for breakfast :)
    edited January 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4268717 said:
    Those songs are gonna eat my face for breakfast :)
    whenever i have friends over to play, someone always wants to sing "500 miles to memphis - all my friends are crazy" and i always get crap for having to play guitar/fiddle on hard. everyone wants to see the fiddle solos on expert, but... well... i just can't do it.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2011
    First time I played through "Stereo Stereo" I got to #1 on vocals..

Not quite the same but :p
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    afterstasis;4268699 said:
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. Hell, I doubt even 1% of the people purchasing the song would even notice.

On the other hand, I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to draw a parallel between this and Nazism before the day's over, so let's see.

Hitler did devote a chapter to it in Mein Kampf.

Just sayin'...
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited January 2011
    This is a highly unofficial opinion, but it doesn't bother me at all. Right now, my vocal scores are above Markleford's on both of James Williams Roy's songs, and it makes me feel fuzzy and accomplished. (Sorry, Markleford....)
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I don't care, I beat your scores anyway :P
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    HMXLachesis;4268924 said:
    This is a highly unofficial opinion, but it doesn't bother me at all. Right now, my vocal scores are above Markleford's on both of James Williams Roy's songs, and it makes me feel fuzzy and accomplished. (Sorry, Markleford....)

I tend to not even play our songs online because I'm so bad at them. It's pretty sad to get beaten on your own song :P
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    This is why I love fooling with the URLs to download songs before they appear on error420. I get to FC songs before anyone else even knows they're available. :p
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited January 2011

Hey! Someone sings my songs, and admits it! Thank you. You are the wind beneath my wings.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    kingtonyx;4268726 said:
    First time I played through "Stereo Stereo" I got to #1 on vocals..

Not quite the same but :p

I would sure hope so
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    asiansteev;4268723 said:
    whenever i have friends over to play, someone always wants to sing "500 miles to memphis - all my friends are crazy" and i always get crap for having to play guitar/fiddle on hard. everyone wants to see the fiddle solos on expert, but... well... i just can't do it.

Speaking of which, is there any chance for more 500 Miles to Memphis? If their other stuff is anywhere close to as good as "All My Friends Are Crazy", then they need more songs in the game.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2011
    TubaDude49;4269186 said:
    I would sure hope so

you never know, someone could have figured out a better overdrive path or something
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Right now, my vocal scores are above Markleford's on both of James Williams Roy's songs, and it makes me feel fuzzy and accomplished. (Sorry, Markleford....)

I suppose sadder yet is that I've yet to score a drum FC on the leaderboards!

Fact is, after playing all the charts a BAJILLION times on all difficulties day after day, you have significantly less motivation to revisit the songs after they're finally released. ;)

- m
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    In this thread, Markleford learns why game testing isn't fun!
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited January 2011
    Santa Claustrophobia;4269221 said:

Sure it is. Markleford is just a perfectionist. But that's okay. It made the jawillroy songs come out great. :)

On topic, I don't think it's tacky. I'll probably do the same thing if/when I author some songs.
    edited January 2011
    jawillroy;4268953 said:
    Hey! Someone sings my songs, and admits it! Thank you. You are the wind beneath my wings.

I've even been known to sing them outside Rock Band. ("It's donuts and bacon in the morrrrrning!")
  • rose_of_jerichorose_of_jericho Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Markleford;4269214 said:
    [B]I suppose sadder yet is that I've yet to score a drum FC on the leaderboards!

well im currently #1 on pro drums on paper valentines so =P
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited January 2011
    Santa Claustrophobia;4269221 said:

... and yet despite this he still has the cheek to get decent scores on the leaderboards for his own songs none the less.. He will have had that much practice with them i actually have visions of him playing them Jimmy Hendrix style behind his head for the fun of it and still getting gold stars and hes the drummer haha.

Ugh... just checked Paper Valentine Hearts guitar leaderboard and there are ELEVEN people above me with only 99%. What is that all about? looks like im gonna have to find me a better overdrive path
    edited January 2011
    rose_of_jericho;4270456 said:
    well im currently #1 on pro drums on paper valentines so =P

Aw, c'mon, you went and did that deliberately before posting. :p
    edited January 2011
    It delights me without end that you're all having fun with "The Pape." (Nice work, rose_of_jericho!)
  • rose_of_jerichorose_of_jericho Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    HMXLachesis;4271083 said:
    Aw, c'mon, you went and did that deliberately before posting. :p

Yes. Yes, I did. And it rocks!
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    HMXLachesis;4270178 said:
    I've even been known to sing them outside Rock Band. ("It's donuts and bacon in the morrrrrning!")
    Looks like someone is positioning herself quite well for an invite to the album listening party... :)

(...in the unlikely event that said album might eventually get DONE, I mean!)

- m
    edited January 2011
    Markleford;4272461 said:
    (...in the unlikely event that said album might eventually get DONE, I mean!)
    Vinyl double LP, I'm thinking. See if we can't get Roger Dean for cover art.