Thoughts on Chiptune in RBN?

EdwardDavenporEdwardDavenpor Unsigned
edited February 2011 in The Rock Band Network
With the onset of RBN 2.0, I'm going to be releasing my entire EP of chiptune songs for RBN. I know that the only other chiptune song released is Creatures ov Deception, and that has been received well (I believe it's in the top 50 of RBN songs).
My question is, do you all enjoy playing chiptune songs on RB? Would you like to see more of it?

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2011
    the Anamanaguchi tune in testing right now is super fun

people here seem to like that sort of stuff :) I think you should definitely do it!
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I'm all for more of anything, but I have a very varied taste in music.

I know there is plenty more chiptune stuff coming to RBN (Anamanaguchi, the VVVVVV songs, etc), but (like you) authors were waiting til RBN 2.0.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Do you have a place where we can preview your songs?

And yes, I'd love some more "chiptunes". Creatures ov Deception is amazing on guitar once you get used to it. Plus, usually, no matter how crappy the song is, if it's done in chiptune fashion, it's super cool :D

EDIT: Oh yes, and I can't f***ing WAIT for the SMB tracks to hit!
  • EdwardDavenporEdwardDavenpor Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4270062 said:

And yes, I'd love some more "chiptunes". Creatures ov Deception is amazing on guitar once you get used to it. Plus, usually, no matter how crappy the song is, if it's done in chiptune fashion, it's super cool :D

Well there's no like real RB preview, but if you want to hear the rough versions of the songs (all chiptune, no vocals or live instruments) you can check them out here: here
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Big fan of chiptune music, which is no surprise since I've bought over 300 game soundtracks. But definitely they need to be done in 2.0; although there are plenty of music parts even as far back as the Commodore 64's SID chip or NES processing that could be aggregated to the guitar or bass parts, there is inevitably going to be the need to chart to keyboard. I look forward to seeing this genre expand with 2.0's release.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4270062 said:

Does SMB mean Super Meat Boy there? 'Cause if so Danny is gonna have your head, he hates when the soundtrack is described as chiptunes. So of course I do that to him whenever I want to annoy him. :D

But yea, don't worry. You guys will be seeing VVVVVV tracks very soon. We're hoping to have one among the very first RBN2.0 tracks released.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4270384 said:
    Does SMB mean Super Meat Boy there? 'Cause if so Danny is gonna have your head, he hates when the soundtrack is described as chiptunes. So of course I do that to him whenever I want to annoy him. :D

But yea, don't worry. You guys will be seeing VVVVVV tracks very soon. We're hoping to have one among the very first RBN2.0 tracks released.
    Oh for sure, because they aren't really chiptunes. It's just easier to consider them "chiptunes".
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    My thoughts are, the more chiptune the merrier!

We brought Creatures ov Deception out at a time when chipmusic was much talked about and other authoring groups were also licensing chiptunes. It doesn't seem like that excitement has faded yet, and I would love to see more chipmusic hit the RBN. I love that everyone loves Creatures ov Deception, and I definitely support the addition of more chip bands/artists.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited January 2011
    Chiptunes rocks. I'm all for it.

Since Japanese is now allowed in RBN, I'm going to hijack this thread by mentioning a band: YMCK. That is all. If anyone decided to do anything with this information, you rule. :D
  • D1sturb3dD1sturb3d Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4270384 said:
    Not sure if you were being serious or not but i think by SMB he meant Super Mario Brothers
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    D1sturb3d;4282238 said:
    Not sure if you were being serious or not but i think by SMB he meant Super Mario Brothers

I was, since Mario tracks are unlikely to happen and Super Meat Boy tracks are already confirmed.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited February 2011
    For for for. Completely for. 100% for.