RBN metal recommendations please...

eyescoveredeyescovered Unsigned
edited February 2011 in The Rock Band Network
So metal isn't really my thing as far as music I listen to regularly. But, I've been finding some metal in the RBN that I love playing and eventually ending up on my MP3 player. So far it's bands like All That Remains, Five Finger Death Punch and Attack Attack!

I don't know too much about the sub-categories of metal, but I think I tend to like the more melodic kind with a high production value like ATR. If anyone has some suggestions of some other RBN tracks to try out, please let me know. There's just so much metal in the RBN that it's hard to sort through.

Thank you in advance!

Oh, and if there's a thread already like this, I'm sorry. I don't post much here.

Comments

• HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Definitely try before you buy (or at least listen before you buy).

I'm a big fan of the following:

"Buttersnips" - Periphery (metalcore, prog metal)
    "Icarus Lives" - Periphery
    "Mordecai" - Between the Buried and Me (prog metal)
    "Obfuscation" - Between the Buried and Me
    "Doomsday Party" - Sybreed (industrial metal)

With the exception of "Obfuscation", all of these songs have a fair amount of melody as well as aggression. With the exception of "Icarus Lives", they all have very difficult charts for guitar and drums, and usually bass too.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I think you'd like the Architects track, "Learn to Live". I'll edit in some more in a bit when I can look at all my songs.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Buttersnips has one of the best drum charts you'll find.

And my personal preference in RBN metal is Evile. Great, Testament-ish metal that's great on everything. Time No More and Genocide specifically.
  • eyescoveredeyescovered Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions! Periphery was ok. Not too much into the prog. Architects was really good! I will probably end up buying it on my next RBN binge.

I'll try some others later. Girlfriend has the Xbox tied up right now playing Plants vs. Zombies!
  • theundeadrockertheundeadrocker Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    I would just like to say, thank you because I have some points to burn and will be getting some songs. Rock on!
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited January 2011
    Asking Alexandria - The final Episode

Do it.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    eyescovered;4271155 said:
    I think I tend to like the more melodic kind with a high production value like ATR.

ATR is melodic? Huh... Anyway, I definitely recommend Firewind to anybody looking for metal on the RBN. If you're into symphonic metal (very melodic), you should check the songs by Amberian Dawn, Pythia, and Sonata Arctica.

Also, "Collapsing" by Demon Hunter and "The Deceiver" by I Am Abomination are two RBN metal songs that I enjoy. These two may be more up your alley than the ones I mentioned above (though you should still check 'em out).
    edited January 2011
    PowerGamer990;4271389 said:
    ATR is melodic? Huh... Anyway, I definitely recommend Firewind to anybody looking for metal on the RBN. If you're into symphonic metal (very melodic), you should check the songs by Amberian Dawn, Pythia, and Sonata Arctica.

Also, "Collapsing" by Demon Hunter and "The Deceiver" by I Am Abomination are two RBN metal songs that I enjoy. These two may be more up your alley than the ones I mentioned above (though you should still check 'em out).

I guess by melodic, I mean that there's singing in the song and not just screaming. Like I said in my original post, I don't know how the different genres of metal are labeled.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2011
    ATR is indeed melodic, you were correct.

if you liked the Attack Attack! songs I suggest The Word Alive who have two songs currently available
    edited January 2011
    haha, thanks for the backup! :)

Anyways, so far I am really digging Asking Alexandria, Demon Hunter, Firewind, Sybreed, Architects & The World Alive. I actually got I Am Abomination last month and do enjoy it as well!
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    can anyone recommend me an RBN band that sounds like system of a down?
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    search for speed/power metal on the RBN store, you´ll find awesome music right there.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Here are a few more recommendations:

"Nightfall" by Nachtmystium
    "Action/Adventure" by Memphis May Fire
    "In Case You Forgot" by Deception of a Ghost
    "Stay Awake" by Faithful Darkness
    "The Truth" by Kittie
    "Beyond Grey" by Silent Descent
    "Now or Never" by Confide
    "Thank You, Pain." by The Agonist
    "Hello Fascination" by Breathe Carolina
    "Sending Signals" by Evergreen Terrace
    "We Are Not Anonymous" by Unearth
    "Tree Village" and "Lemon Meringue Tie" by Dance Gavin Dance
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    If you like melodic metal, you must check out Amberian Dawn. They have a lot of songs available to choose from, but here are some of my faves -
    - Incubus
    - Shallow Waters
    - River of Tuoni
    - Valkyries

I'd also recommend Ayreon's song "Dawn of a Million Souls".

But really, have a listen/look at the charts on youtube for any/all Amberian Dawn songs - they're awesome.
  • iplaythetriangleiplaythetriangle Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    they should put winds of plage for rb3 because they have a keyboardist..
    carnifex
    more asking alexandria
    augest burns red
    and we butter the bread with butter would be awesome!
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    So you want Metal With Actual Singing... we've got "Simple Man" by Highlord for that, and they have "The Scream" coming to RBN 2.0 with a keyboard solo and all that as well. It's nearly operatic power metal, intense but not insane instruments and some really powerful vocals.

There's also "Herlathing" by Morgawr, that's where they do all their singing. "Lindisfarne" is probably a tad too growly. "Burn Her Out" by Shokkher and "Eternal Divine Angel Death" by Daas Bosh also do the whole singing thing, but they're not very varied on vocals.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    man, i didn´t knew we where getting more Highlord in RBN, friggin´awesome!!!
  • ElMartilloElMartillo Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    You might like some of these:

'Action Adventure' by Memphis May Fire
    The 2 songs by Of Mice and Men
    The 2 songs by Dance Gavin Dance
    'Africa' by Quartered is a great track too, it's kind of like alt/progish/metal I think, sounds close to Tool imo
    edited January 2011
    Got some more songs queued up to download. Thanks to all for the suggestions! It's a lot easier than trying to listen to the preview for every metal song in the Rock Band Store!
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    kingtonyx;4271430 said:
    ATR is indeed melodic, you were correct.

if you liked the Attack Attack! songs I suggest The Word Alive who have two songs currently available

Except TWA is nothing like AA. Asking Alexandria or Woe, Is me on the other hand..
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Lets see

some WTF metal ZTO by Devin Townsend -Nobles crew killed it!

Nu Metal - Fear of Water - Firewall - closest thing to Sevendust in the game

Prog - We are the Ilussion - The Podium - awesome Finnish Prog

Industrial - Arkaea - Years in the Darkness - Half of Fear Factory and half of Threat Signal

Any of The Nuclear Blast bands but some are realllllllly heavy.

Dirge Within - Forever the Martyr

Deadlock - The Brave /Agony Applause this is one of Germanys best bands clean female vox with death growl male vox.
  • TheAuthorityClintonTheAuthorityClinton Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Definitely check out our catalog to see what metal we have brought to the table.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited January 2011
    Check out the Emperor tracks. I think you'll be glad you did.
    edited January 2011
    Still trying out most of the above suggestions. thank you to the authors for chiming in and standing behind their work, too. It's awesome that a lot of these tracks are only a dollar!
    TheAuthorityClinton;4272110 said:
    Definitely check out our catalog to see what metal we have brought to the table.

Question for The Authority, if I may ask (or if you can answer). Noticed that you've worked with Dangerbird Records. I am a huge fan of Minus the Bear and they recently put out their first album with that label. Now that keys are coming to RBN2, they would be an awesome band to include! Not sure if you could get older songs from when they were on Suicide Squeeze, though. Have they approached you at all about getting songs in RB? Not sure if you guys ask labels for certain bands, but let me put in a vote for Minus the Bear!
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Norma Jean. Buy all 3.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited January 2011
    Skindred - Stand For Something is my fave metal track on the RBN and something the OP would enjoy given he doesnt seem to signify liking his metal as being all that heavy.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks all for the help! Now I have a list of stuff I can buy while waiting for RBN2 stuff to come out!
  • D1sturb3dD1sturb3d Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    You'll definitely want to check the Between the Buried and Me songs
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Maplerun - For You is a pretty good nu-metal song that I peer reviewed. It came out today.