Why is it..

TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
edited July 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
That everytime Online comes up for Ps3 everyone always claims it sucks , really please tell me whats so Horrible about Playstation Network , and clarify why XboxLive is best . Am not trying to start a console war for you that think that am just sick and tired of hearing " RockBand Online For Ps3 Will Suck Thats Why Am Getting it For Xbox360 " and other comments such as that one .:confused:

Comments

• edited July 2007
    I own one. I wouldnt say that it sucks, it's rather good. But when you compare to the monster that is xbox live, or the tons of old school game downloads for the wii, it doesn't seem so great in comparison.

It does have good game demos (heavenly sword was pretty fun, but short)

It does have some cool old school games (castlevania:SOTN, Rampage, Rampart)

It does have some cool exclusives
    (Super Stardust is VERY good, it can stand up to geometry wars in my books, fl0w, CAC)

But it still needs work, games take a VERY long time to download, and it's still short of content.

Overall, Im happy with it, but it could be SOOO much better.
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    You Missed my Point.. i wasnt talking about Content.. am Asking Why would RockBand Online be better on XLive
  • MrMet2087MrMet2087 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    the online play itself is really good, evenly as good as xbox live, the only thing im worried about is when the game comes out, will the playstation network have downloadable content as often as xboxlive marketplace will? the playstation network sometimes sucks when it comes to add on content, sometimes things put on games for the 360 on marketplace, are left off on the ps3 on the playstation network, so i like the playstation network a lot, it's just im curious about downloadable content thats all.
  • CrazyIvanCrazyIvan Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Like Tendoza said, it's not necessarily that the PS3 online sucks, it just sucks in comparison to XBL. If there's one thing that Microsoft understands is online. They have decades of PC online for research, and XBL is truly the best of the best. It slaughters PS3 and absolutely decimates the Wii.

I currently own a PS2/Wii combo, but will be getting a next-gen system for RB (I consider the Wii a gen 1.5, not really "next"). For me, the choice is easy because of the price tag. I will pretty much only use the system for RB, so I'm going with the cheaper system. Plus, I know that its online is the best. But for those out there that already have their PS3/360, I don't think there will be any difference between the two systems.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    PS3 online i am pretty sure runs off of individual developers servers correct?

If so then i think that hurts it in terms of support and service.

Otherwise i just think it's because of how much more Xbox Live APPEARS to bring to the gamers then PSN. I honestly can't think of one cool thing psn does that live doesn't. Except for home, that's pretty cool

I don't think psn sucks, i just think its under-developed than XBL. you get what you pay for.
  • edited July 2007
    Sorry about missing your point, I thought you just meant as a whole.

Well, I think that PS3's online will shape up, I personally think it's lacking content and organization more than anything. Anyway, I don't see why people would buy the xbox version over the PS3 version just because of online, Im sure they will be about the same in terms of latency and all that stuff. I CAN see people buy a 360 over a PS3 becuase of xbox live, though.

There really isn't anything wrong with PSN, just look at it this way: it is still under development, it's actually pretty true, achievments, HOME, they all are coming, just wait a while, PSN will shape up. Sony knows what it's up against.
  • IOIHUMMERIOIIOIHUMMERIOI Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Both Eman311 and CrazyIvan said what I was going to say. That $50 a year translates into getting network coding updated, improved and implemented. The service and support comment rings true for the PS3. Once they take that server down, that game is dead. Xbox is peer to peer and as long as there are people playing, the servers will always be up.

Matchmaking, friends lists, swapping between games via game invites all add up to an easy user experience on the 360. Not that it matters, this is online aside for the most part, but some like the achievements (which some are online only) as they feel the game is not 100% complete unless all are unlocked, thus increasing replayability. Also, I have a feeling that the DLC will be implemented better on the 360, but can't say as I've not fully experienced the PS3 online download service. Can you download content in-game on the PS3?
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    IOIHUMMERIOI;24047 said:
    Can you download content in-game on the PS3?
    I'm pretty sure Resistance lets you buy the map-add on right inside the game. It'll also force an auto-update if you're running an older version (when I tried to go online I was out of date).

Coming from someone who owns a PS3 and barely used Xbox Live, the Playstation Network is pretty solid, but there's not a lot there at this very moment in time. Nothing's bad about it though. It's pretty straightforward.

And free.

-Jaime
  • monlienNH3monlienNH3 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    IOIHUMMERIOI;24047 said:

Matchmaking, friends lists, swapping between games via game invites all add up to an easy user experience on the 360. Not that it matters, this is online aside for the most part, but some like the achievements (which some are online only) as they feel the game is not 100% complete unless all are unlocked, thus increasing replayability. Also, I have a feeling that the DLC will be implemented better on the 360.PS3?
    That pretty much sums it up. I own both, but I like the seemless interface of live much better. I can pull up my friendlist in any game, get messages during any game, get invited to play another game while I'm playing a game. So if I jump on Rockband and see firiend x and friend y playing Dead Rising and Burnout and they both own RB, then I can invite them to my game and have a band playing in no time. Plus I could have a private chat with one of them while we played. I'm sure Sony will step it up some, but for now $50 a year is worth every penny. And if you don't own either system, it's cheaper to get a 360 - plus there's a rumour that the 360 will drop $50 on August 8th. link to $50 price drop

Someone mentioned above me that the Heavenly Sword demo was available for download. Is this true? I've been waiting to play that game forever. I can't check since I'm at work.
  • edited July 2007
    monlienNH3;24106 said:

Someone mentioned above me that the Heavenly Sword demo was available for download. Is this true? I've been waiting to play that game forever. I can't check since I'm at work.
    Yeah, it looks real nice, plays well, I guess, but its about 8 mins long. :I
  • monlienNH3monlienNH3 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Tendoza;24120 said:
    Yeah, it looks real nice, plays well, I guess, but its about 8 mins long. :I
    I know what I'll be doing when I get home then. Thanks!
  • edited July 2007
    The PS3 online is just as good as 360's considering it's free.

The only reason I slightly prefer 360 is because more of my friends are on it.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    I'm too poor to afford a PS3 but Ps2's online was atrocious.