Seeking RBN songs that sound like they're from the early 80s

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited April 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Disclaimer: this is for a personal project and is not Harmonix-related whatsoever.*

I love music a lot, and I love the RBN a lot, but I have a poor ear for decades and genres. Most of the RBN is from 2009/10/11, but I'm looking for RBN songs that sound like they're from the early 80s, especially rock songs. Any recommendations?

* http://www.livegamelabs.com/wyrd-con/rock-band-murder-mystery/, if you're terribly curious.

Comments

• cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    Travelin' Freak Show by Joe Bouchard (ex-BOC) is the first thing that comes to mind for me.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    I also have a bad ear, but the 2 songs from Stan Bush are from the 80's so there is a start for you :)

Good luck with the project, it sounds like fun :)
  • rose_of_jerichorose_of_jericho Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    scratching the itch - end of this
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Does BSM - Falling Apart qualify for your purposes?
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    "The Attitude Song" is from the early 80's, though it is not representative of the sound of most music of that decade.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Blasteroids;4273835 said:
    I also have a bad ear, but the 2 songs from Stan Bush are from the 80's so there is a start for you :)

Good luck with the project, it sounds like fun :)
    Well, technically they're FROM 2007 but they sound like they're from 80's, which is what Lachesis asked (and yes, I'm aware the original versions of the songs are from the 80's.)
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    HMXLachesis;4273827 said:
    but I'm looking for RBN songs that sound like they're from the early 80s, especially rock songs. Any recommendations?
    This is my 80's song!

http://www.markleford.com/music/files/03_02_markleford_Dance_Revo.mp3

Available for longer arrangement and immediate authoring! :)

Depends on your definition of a representative sound, though. Seems like maybe guitar-oriented stuff is in order. What should it be like: Punk? New Wave? Arena rock?

- m
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited January 2011
    Markleford;4274229 said:
    This is my 80's song!

http://www.markleford.com/music/files/03_02_markleford_Dance_Revo.mp3

Available for longer arrangement and immediate authoring! :)

Depends on your definition of a representative sound, though. Seems like maybe guitar-oriented stuff is in order. What should it be like: Punk? New Wave? Arena rock?

- m
    I heard it. I laughed. Have I mentioned my love of DDR too often on Twitter? But the event's in March, so anything that isn't already approved is pretty much out.

I'm not really sure what my definition of an early 80's sound is. With that said, we only have a guitarist, bassist, drummer, and singer for the purposes of the event (with potential harmonies), so we should probably skip stuff with prominent keys. (Sorry, Scratching the Itch!)
    edited January 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4273875 said:
    Does BSM - Falling Apart qualify for your purposes?

Don't see why not. (Like I said, I have no ear for this....)

I won't be making the final call about what songs are chosen for this. I'm just passing over a list.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    The Free Spirit tracks sound very 80s to me, in a good way of course.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    The Pac-Man Fever album is coming soon, and the songs are from the early 80's (though we're using the '99 recordings).

Also would "Done" by The Giraffes fit the bill?
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Pankrazzo;4274339 said:
    The Free Spirit tracks sound very 80s to me, in a good way of course.

Is there actually "in a bad way"? It's the 80s!
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    TheOzone;4274361 said:
    The Pac-Man Fever album is coming soon, and the songs are from the early 80's (though we're using the '99 recordings).

That's more late 60s-70s.
  • JohnnyRhythmJohnnyRhythm Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    TheOzone;4274361 said:

NO WAY! do you know if they are coming out for rbn 2.0 so we can have keys and harmonies?
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    HMXLachesis;4274306 said:
    With that said, we only have a guitarist, bassist, drummer, and singer for the purposes of the event (with potential harmonies), so we should probably skip stuff with prominent keys.
    I'd always thought that Made Avail's "Bury You Slowly" had a touch of 80's to it, though the production is decidedly post-90s.

"Elevator" and "Miss America by Kingsize are classic 4-piece rockers, one rowdy, one bouncy.

"Shot at the Title" by Your Horrible Smile fits well with the rowdy tone of "Elevator". Are you looking to form a cohesive "set" to seem like it's all written by the same band, or with the game band just be playing covers?

And of course, add in dashes of JWR to taste! He wants to be Bob Mould or Mike Watt or Robert Pollard at various moments, after all... ;)

- m
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    JohnnyRhythm;4274535 said:
    NO WAY! do you know if they are coming out for rbn 2.0 so we can have keys and harmonies?
    I'm the one working on it, and I got it SPECIFICALLY for RBN 2.0.

What would "Froggy's Lament" be without having the harmonies yell "GO FROGGY GO!"? ;)
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    Definately the Free Spirit songs - especially Far Away From Heaven and Pale Sister of Light, though I don't know if you'd classify it as early 80's or late 80's rock-sounding.
  • JohnnyRhythmJohnnyRhythm Opening Act
    edited January 2011
    TheOzone;4274609 said:
    I'm the one working on it, and I got it SPECIFICALLY for RBN 2.0.

What would "Froggy's Lament" be without having the harmonies yell "GO FROGGY GO!"? ;)

I love you so much, in a non creepy internet stranger way of course
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2011
    The 3 Free Spirit songs sound like '80's hair metal.

"Pale Sister Of Light" and "Far Away From Heaven" sound the most like it, but "Until The Night" has moments that sound like they fit that era.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited January 2011
    NoThru22;4274065 said:
    Well, technically they're FROM 2007 but they ... are from the 80's.

I think I missed your point ;)
    RockBandRocker;4274830 said:
    The 3 Free Spirit songs sound like '80's hair metal.
    The Free Spirit songs are great.

Maybe 'Signed with Love' by 'Rose of Jericho' fits the criteria as well? Since it is what I would normally play with Free Spirit and Stan Bush, as they seem to flow together for me.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited January 2011
    Kind of off topic, but the two available Gov't Mule songs sort of sound like 70s-80s southern rock.... also they are awesome to play.
    edited January 2011
    Thank you all again. :)
    edited January 2011
    Markleford;4274590 said:
    Are you looking to form a cohesive "set" to seem like it's all written by the same band, or with the game band just be playing covers?
    That's a good question. I had assumed that the band would just play whatever songs they liked, but a cohesive set would be kind of cool. I tossed it over to them to see what they wanted to do.
  • D1sturb3dD1sturb3d Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    Dethroned by Death Angel
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    I second the Free Spirit songs. Also, I think the two tracks from Raven Quinn have a hint of 80's sound in 'em. "Decadence" would probably be a good fit.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Just buy the 3 tracks from FREE SPIRIT. At only 80 points a piece, it's THE best buy on the RBN. This is a great band with an 80's sound. I think the singer sounds like Vince Neil back in the early Crue days.
  • badhack0x13badhack0x13 Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    No Heroes by You Shriek makes me think of 80s tunes, albeit New Wave ones. Scratching the Itch also has songs that hit the same tone to my ears.

Free Spirit definitely has the 80s hair metal goodness sound to them. I think there's some other RockGamer bands with a bit of that 80s touch to them. I'll have to dig around and see if I can track them down. For example Party Like a Rock Star has a straight up rock sound to it with a touch of 80s, that might work as well.

EDIT: Depending on the sound you want, maybe try rooting around in the Power Metal section. For example, Firewind - Keep Your Head Up High reminds me of metal from back in the day. Nautiluz - Chasing the Light might also work.

EDIT EDIT: That'll teach me to skim posts. If you're looking for mainly rock sounds there's always Bang Camaro (who have a classic anthem rock sound to them - love you guys!). Stars of Boulevard are pretty rock and might work.
    edited February 2011
    Just as an update here - I've been sending your suggestions over to the band-to-be, and the singer fell completely in love with Free Spirit (she went out and bought all their albums!) Consequently, I'm pretty sure that's going to be the way they go.

Thank you all so much for your help!
  • GoshdarnitGoshdarnit Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    The Driveshaft song sounds kind of 80's, and its cheesiness may fit in with the theme of the event?
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Goshdarnit;4289334 said:
    The Driveshaft song sounds kind of 80's, and its cheesiness may fit in with the theme of the event?

That song is a rip-off/parody of Oasis' "Rock N Roll Star" and is 100% 90s Britpop.