XBox 360 or PS3

PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
I still need to go get a next-gen system for RB, so I was wondering what everybody thinks of each system or which you would recommend.

I have played games on both and I've looked at the upcoming games, and most the games I want are available on both systems.

I really dislike the Halo series because I've played Half-Life.

I was wondering what you think has better online, ease of use, and such.

Thanks for your knowledge.

Comments

• hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    There are different ways of looking at this. Instead of taking a fanboy sort of approach, I tried to see which one was going to be the better value since I was going to be investing a sizable chunk of money into one of these machines.

Each console has its advantages. The 360 online system is much easier to navigate and looks and runs smoother. However, it costs 30-50 dollars a year depending on which tier you subscribe to. The PS3 online capabilities are free and has built in wi-fi, but is not as easy to operate but they are releasing Playstation Home later in the fall.

The xbox 360 is ahead in amount and variety of titles due to the one year head start but PS3 will catch up as time goes on, and will probably even out as the years go on.

The PS3 is a bit larger and takes up a little more space and doesn't really have the sleek look of the 360. I assume it's a bit larger due to the blu-ray player built in, which is about a 1000 dollar value itself.

If i were you I'd go with the PS3 just because you may be paying 500 right now but with the blu-ray, and wi-fi, and free online capabilities in the long run will make up for the 100 dollar difference in the two systems.
  • NiGhTmAr3NiGhTmAr3 Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    ps3 def.

online is free, great latency, not a lot of lag, built in wi-fi, blu ray player, and it has 4 usb ports for all of the instruments (360 has 3 lol) and the ps3 home that comes out in the fall will make the online service better than xbox live...

and this is coming from a person who has all 3 systems...so i am not biased toward one system
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    PsycoCheerio;24013 said:
    I still need to go get a next-gen system for RB, so I was wondering what everybody thinks of each system or which you would recommend.

I have played games on both and I've looked at the upcoming games, and most the games I want are available on both systems.

I was wondering what you think has better online, ease of use, and such.

Thanks for your knowledge.
    As far as online goes, it's been pointed out that PS3's is both free and has great latency. In a nutshell, perfect for Rock Band. Most of the games also provide free updates and additions online (such as Motorstorm) and the PSN doesn't try to nickle and dime you by thinking you are spending less then you really are (400 Microsoft points is really $5.00, whereas Playstation uses real dollars and cents). Also, with Home coming out soon, it'll also rival the Microsoft 'Achievement' concept.

With ease of use, the 360 interface definitely feels more comfortable, but the Cross Media Bar isn't bad at all.

I'd say that in the long run, you'd be better off going with a PS3. There's a lot of reasons that made me buy one once the price dropped, but the hassle-free online system and Blu-Ray player (HD-DVD is dying) really made the PS3 stand out. That and the list of exclusives Sony held on to. I'd highly reccommend getting the PS3.

-Jaime
  • FunkaTrunkFunkaTrunk Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    PsycoCheerio;24013 said:

The Orange Box is comming out for the 360, so that's good. It's $50 a year for Live, so that's VERY cheap.

"great latency, not a lot of lag" That's the same thing, NiGhTmAr3. Plus, there isn't any lag for Live for me, and my internet conection is slow.

Plus, the guys over at Harmonix told Gamespot at E3 that the lat. issues were all worked out, and it runs smooth over Live.

However, there custimer suport is as shaty as you can get, I STILL haven't gotten my 360 back from repairs, and they just talk in circles. But I still love the thing.

360 most def., but that's from a fan's point of view.
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Half Life may be better than Halo in many regards but it not as if you can only play on FPS in your entire life.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    360, here's why.

First, the price. The 360 is less expensive than a ps3, yet offers many of the same features. True, xbl is $50 a year, but it comes with an awesome marketplace and arcade.

Second, the games. Halo 3 isn't the only xbox game coming out this year. theres also some awesome looking games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Too Human, Dark Sector, and more. the only reason why i would ever consider a ps3 is for MGS4.

just... don't get a wii.
  • edited July 2007
    This is a question I'm asking myself as well, but I'm leaning towards 360 since many more people have them, and they're cheaper. I hate what they're charging for DLC, though. It's unreasonable.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited July 2007
    PS3,it doesn't break every 2 months.
    Only 1/3 games I played online on PS3 lagged. 7/11 on the 360.
  • monlienNH3monlienNH3 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    As an owner of both: I have to say the 360. I can't say how PS3 online is though since I haven't tried it. I traded in Resistance before I could play it online, I own the Japanese version of MotorStorm so I can't play online (since it was left out of the game, but I couldn't wait for US release) and Virtua Fighter 5 isn't online on PS3.

What I do know from using both is that I like having achievements (not sure about these trophies coming later this year on PS3). I also know that the 360 has a seemless community interface, so playing online, being invited to games, seeing what people on your friend's list are playing, sending text or voice messages while playing... all of this is seemless and available anytime you're playing any game. Plus as someone else mentioned, right now more people own a 360, so more people will probably be online with the 360 version - if you're looking to play this game online. And finally it's less expensive than the PS3 (with a rumoured $50 price drop coming on August 8th for 360, it will be even cheaper).

Another argument for you on the 360 (as mentioned by someone else): The Orange Box comes out for 360 this September, get that instead of Halo 3 since you like Half Life (although I guess you might be playing on PC instead). I'm not buying Halo 3.

I like my PS3 as a blu-ray player and as the only place I could play VF5 earlier this year (before the 360 version was announced and before the 360 added online play which they swore they wouldn't do...:mad: ) It's also the only way I'll be able to play Heavenly Sword and Little Big Planet whenever it comes out. Otherwise, I hardly ever use my PS3.

If you want a PS3 though, buy it NOW while it's $500... while you can get the 5 free Blu-ray movie deal, and before the new model comes out which will almost definitely take out the Emotion engine chip (hardware based backwards compatibility as opposed to software emulation bc) and the price goes back to $600 with 80GB instead of 60GB.

Anyone who can't decide ask yourself this:

1. Is money a factor? winner 360
    2. Is a high definition player important to you? winner PS3
    3. Is free online more important than a well-tested online setup for less than $5 month?
    winner you decide
    4. Are there exclusives for either system you must own?
    winner you decide
    5. Is having an established library of software important to you?
    winner 360 - at the moment
    6. Are custom soundtracks important to you?
    winner 360 - nothing beats playing racing games to your own tunes
    7. Do you want to be able to import Japanese games?
    winner PS3 (so far the games are not region locked, but you can't play PAL in US, so no European imports)

Ultimately, no one can help you pick the system you want, but if you only plan on owning one next gen system, you really need to look at the software lineup - especially first party since third party exclusives having been jumping ship left and right - none are safe despite what either side says. Good luck deciding.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited July 2007
    #6 Winner - 360...for now. PS3 will have custom soundtrack with the 2.0 update apprently
  • monlienNH3monlienNH3 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Rock_Starman;24395 said:
    #6 Winner - 360...for now. PS3 will have custom soundtrack with the 2.0 update apprently
    I hope so. Unless I'm missing something, it's insane that you can't listen to music unless you're in the music folder on the PS3.
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    Ps3 servers will never lagg trust me am always logged on and playing online for example i always get caught in 40 player matches in Resistance and never have i or My Friends seen lagging , The Ps Store is Slowly Evolving so by this Holiday Season there will be at least 20-40 Added Ps1 Classics or PSN Games , Ps3 has Store updates every thursday that brings Movie Trailers , Game Videos , Wallpapers , Demos , Games or Classic Downloads . There are plans for Downloadble Movies but sony Isnt there yet . Home Comes out not far from now wich should be a really great place to socialize if your into that.. but Home is also a great place for RockBand to get started meeting with people there and forming your band thats awesome if you think about it and its free , Ps3 also has Built in WiFi and BluTooth so thats a Yes Yes :) along with that it has a BluRay Drive wich is Awesome since BluRay Discs have soo Much space so the Developers can Develop Away hehe in Conclusion from my side Ps3 would be the right Choice.
  • tharshmetalUKtharshmetalUK Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    360 defo. Because of halo 3 and mass effect. Both of those games are gonna be awesome and you'll only be able to play em on 360.:)
  • Phrank-EPhrank-E Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    The Bluray player and the upcoming Home network are the two deciding factors for me so far.

Well that and the first party games such as Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal and God of War to name a few. Microsoft doesn't seem to make games worth playing. And I loathe FPS.
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    Phrank-E;25222 said:
    The Bluray player and the upcoming Home network are the two deciding factors for me so far.

Well that and the first party games such as Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal and God of War to name a few. Microsoft doesn't seem to make games worth playing. And I loathe FPS.
    Exactly. I'm waiting to see what the Home network is going to bring and how well its going to work. But if its unknown by Nov. then I'll just have to pick one. I prefer PS because I've always had one, and never been disappointed by Sony. I still have three months to decide. I think that within that time I will have a decision that I can be confident in.
    edited July 2007
    IbanezBassist_v2;25255 said:
    Exactly. I'm waiting to see what the Home network is going to bring and how well its going to work. But if its unknown by Nov. then I'll just have to pick one. I prefer PS because I've always had one, and never been disappointed by Sony. I still have three months to decide. I think that within that time I will have a decision that I can be confident in.
    It seems like after their royal PS3 launch blunder (so many things missing, so expensive, etc...) they're doing everything they can to put things right so they can actually sell the things. I was impressed at how much they're taking care of little things, like allowing you to emulate the PS2 harddrive that only 3 people owned so you could play the 2 games that used it.

And you're probably going to want a 60 gig before they all run out since they're the last ones to do hardware emulation. Not saying the software emulation isn't going to work in the states, but it's best to be safe.

-Jaime
  • Phrank-EPhrank-E Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    JB4GDI;25274 said:

And you're probably going to want a 60 gig before they all run out since they're the last ones to do hardware emulation. Not saying the software emulation isn't going to work in the states, but it's best to be safe.

-Jaime
    Meh, If I want to play PS2 games.. I'll use my PS2. I don't know why people make such a fuss over backward compatibilty... I wanna move forward, not backward.
  • fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    your not restricted to one system

but id go with 360 cuz of acheivments.
    a small advantage over ps3 but one none the less.
    edited July 2007
    Phrank-E;25330 said:
    Meh, If I want to play PS2 games.. I'll use my PS2. I don't know why people make such a fuss over backward compatibilty... I wanna move forward, not backward.
    It's all about convenience. I have my NES with 50 games in my room, but it didn't stop me from buying some of the games I already own for the Virtual Console. That being said, I'm on my 3rd Playstation 2, and I'm not sure how long that one's gonna last for, so I want to make sure all my old games are going to work on the new system.

-Jaime
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    I've had my PS2 since launch day. The one game i forgot about since I havn;t heard much mention of it in a long while is the new Banjo - Kazooie game which kinda pushes the scales towards the X360.
  • DaddyNuttDaddyNutt Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    JB4GDI;24078 said:
    400 Microsoft points is really $5.00

-Jaime
    Ok... So what would 400 Microsoft points get you? I'm all new in this. I don't have a PS3 yet but planning on getting one.
    edited July 2007
    DaddyNutt;27103 said:
    Ok... So what would 400 Microsoft points get you? I'm all new in this. I don't have a PS3 yet but planning on getting one.
    Something worth $5.00. As for what songs you can buy for Rock Band with that, who knows. I was just making a point that the conversion rate between Microsoft points and real money isn't 1:1 like Wii Points or Playstation money, so they trick you into spending more than you think you really are.

-Jaime
  • Inaudible-WhisperInaudible-Whisper Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    I'd go for for 360.

The big advantages to owning a 360 are access to the 300 titles already in it's library. A load of AAA titles. In the first 7 months of the PS3's release it only had 16 games with an average rating of 70% or above, whereas the 360 had 28 games with 70% or above (And a higher average score) in it's first 7 months. So during both consoles respective timeframes, the 360 has had more success with the amount, and quality of it's games.

Thus the 360 has a strong past, and a very strong future. This fall the big PS3 releases are Lair and Heavenly Sword. The latter looks cool, but Lair recently got 5.5/10 in EGM. The 360 has Halo 3, Mass Effect (From the best western RPG developer. The game is beautiful and huge), Bioshock (Currently reviews are all 10/10 aside from PC gamer which gave it 95%, their second highest rating ever after Half-Life 2), Lost Odyssey (JRPG from the father of Final Fantasy), GTAIV (With exclusive 360 content), Half-Life Orange (Half-Life 2, episode 1, episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 all for the price of 1 game) and more. Both consoles have these: Call of Duty 4 (Exclusive open 360 beta coming next month), Rock Band, GH3. Overall, 360 has a good few more exclusives and the gaming line-up for it in 2007 alone is astounding.

Xbox Live is currently the largest online console community. It is smooth, lag free (For me and my friends at least) easy to navigate and straight to the point. Home looks ok, but I wouldn't go on it much. I'd rather turn my console on and instantly join a match from the menu in front of me rather than having to go onto an interactive world, fiddling about with 'apartment' to meet friends and going into the 'trophy room' to see achievements. I am aware that you don't need to access Home to join a game, but to me that just leaves home as an online MySpace type world. Second Life for the PS3. It wouldn't add to my online gaming at all. And you have to pay to even decorate your apartment. 360 DLC is usually fairly priced, aside from GH2 content. $5-10 for a great arcade game or game add-on is fine. A lot of it is free too, such as the great Key to the City DLC for Crackdown. I'll stick with buying actual games, rather than a new couch for my online house.

PS3 advantages include Blu-Ray if you're interested in HD movies (Though the 360 has an HD-DVD add-on and the ability to download HD movies off their Video Marketplace) and their respective exclusives. Screw online, and power, and blu-ray though, these are GAME consoles and it should always come down to which has the best games to play for you. It is purely down to opinion. They've both got great multi-platform titles, but it comes down to the exclusives. So far, the 360 has more I think, and it's slowly garnering once PS3 exclusives (Devil May Cry, Ace Combat, GTA etc) but if you're a huge MGS and Final Fantasy fan, for example, and you have no interest in 360 games, obviously stick with the PS3. I don't think you'd be unhappy with either console, but at present I think the 360 offers a lot more.
  • beermanbeerman Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    This is an excellent thread, with well thought-out arguements on both sides and without all the fanboy posturing.
    Based on what's been said here, I'm leaning towards PS3.
  • MrGrievesMrGrieves Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    I have a PS3 but plan on purchasing a 360 once they drop the price in August.
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    The fact that most of my friends have gotten a 360 makes me feel like i should since most of them are moving away here at hte end of summer to go to different colleges. Also the price drop coming up is pushing me to get a 360.
    edited August 2007
    PsycoCheerio;27850 said:
    The fact that most of my friends have gotten a 360 makes me feel like i should since most of them are moving away here at hte end of summer to go to different colleges. Also the price drop coming up is pushing me to get a 360.
    I used to play Halo with friends all the time when we were in high school, but once we moved to college, we all stopped, and never play with each other online. Unless you guys are like hardcore gamers with not great social lives, you'd be surprised how busy you get at college that you just forget about going online to game. I'm just saying not to base your decision too much on that.

And the price drop (according to all the circulars) doesn't look like that much...

-Jaime
  • Inaudible-WhisperInaudible-Whisper Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    The price drop is $50 per SKU. In the UK they're giving away 2 free games too with the premium.