Compilation of questions answered by HMX (indexed)

SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
edited June 2013 in Rock Band
This is a Compilation of questions answered by HMX.

It is NOT a thread to ask questions in.

After seeing complaints about HMX not answering questions, the forums were searched and the following answers were found.

If you see a post where HMX answers a question, post it in here and I will try my best to keep the index up to date.

INDEX:

Future after RB3

So, what disc based game can we expect for 2011? RB4? A band game?

Q: So, with the release of disc songs as DLC, is this the countdown to the end?

2012 - Rock Band Blitz!

Hey, has anyone heard of Harmonix flat-out saying that Rock Band Blitz is the last Rock Band game?

Communication with HMX

What are the best ways to keep up with Harmonix? Facebook? Twitter? Just give me a list!

Why don’t you pay attention to me?!

Why are we always in the dark on things? Why can’t HMX answer our questions?

Why can’t HMX just put a post in the announcement forums that is updated with all of the issues

Relationships with Labels and Bands

Question: If everything is licensed, paid for, and ready to go, what do the labels care [about DLC/Song leaks on the internet]? Labels have more things to do than read forum posts.

Songs in general

The teiring for songs seemed to be messed up, what’s up with that?

Harmonix doesn’t know what they are doing with pro-charts. Why don’t they play like the tabs I have gotten off the internet?

Why is HMX so pro-censorship?

Couldn’t you offer M rated songs to those who want them? If I were HMX, I would offer the choice.

Where is all of the good music?

Why no Double Bass (Expert +) in Rock Band 3? [update: RBN songs will be allowed to chart Double Bass, click here to see list of songs]

What is this I hear about a 3,000 song limit in Rock Band 3?

So what exactly happens if you have 3,001?

How about some covers for bands unwilling to license music, for those with missing masters, or for those who don’t want HMX to have the master tapes?

Does HMX even care about 'Request A Song' anymore?

DLC

Just of curiosity how far do you plan for DLC releases? This is just pure curiosity about how far ahead you guys have stuff planned.

Harmonix, why will you not tell me when [my favorite band] is coming to Rock Band? Is it about money or something else?

Dear HMX, why the live songs and the re-records? I think people would like to know the 'why' a certain song recording was used given Henry's possible reasons in the above link.

Why is there sometimes a delay in getting songs released on different consoles?

Hey, I bought songs ["Rock and Roll Star" and "Hier Kommt Alex"] as DLC that I can’t play anymore, what is going on?

What the hell? Only 12 Bon Jovi songs and three of them repeats?

The DLC being released is boring, we need more Metal! Even people at ScoreHero are asking for more challenging DLC

All, right! I heard a rumor that Metacallica’s Master of Puppets is coming to Rock Band, when can we expect it?

Now wait a minute, why doesn’t “Black Magic Woman” have the “Gypsy Queen” outro included? What about other songs with multiple names?

Why, after doing this for a few years, doesn’t Harmonix do a better of job of mixing up songs? You would think that Harmonix knows best, that is being silly. When looking at the leaderboards it is obvious they are choosing the wrong songs to release.

Why doesn’t Harmonix announce releases earlier? Hype would drive interest in future releases, why keep your cards so close to your chest?

Talking about hype, do you think the forums are representative of the RB market?

Why didn't this song get a Pro Guitar upgrade?

You bundle songs and give us a discount, why don't you do the same with Pro Upgrades? I would like to see something like a Nirvana Pro Pack 01 so I can save a little on the 10 upgrades.

Has the amount of songs being released be affected by adding keys/harmonies?

When are the leaked Pearl Jam songs (or any leaked songs) coming to Rock Band?

Where are the rest of the Jimi Hendrix albums? [and rumors in general]

What exactly does, “Not on schedule” mean?

Why are Rock Band DLC songs so expensive?

Legacy DLC Upgrades

HMX, why don’t you like us anymore? You take away our songs and you make us pay for upgraded songs we already own and make us buy pro-guitar/bass separate.

Why can’t we get a discount on “RB3 Versions” of the songs?

Hey, if you can release Pro-Guitar/bass upgrades for legacy (RB, RB2 compatible songs) why can’t you release harmony and even keys upgrades?

Free Songs and Packs

Why didn’t the Wii get the free song(s)

Hardware

Has the Fender Squier been discontinued? Will this affect Pro Guitar?

After how many years, still no wireless microphone with controls?

Export

Question: I can’t get the LEGO export to work, can you help?

Will additional disc exports be supported by Rock Band 3 on the Wii in the future?

Why charge an export fee, is it to gouge us for more money? How about just taking a hit on the bottom line and giving it to us free?

Request a Song

Is there any way to request a band or make it more likely for them to be DLC (getting a lot of support, contacting record company, etc.)?

Is there some magical machine that calculates how many people have voted for what at the office? A room full of digital monkey tallying the numbers from the internet?

How can I request pro upgrades? Will you make a request tool for it like you did for regular songs for us selected players?

Rock Band 1 & 2

I don’t have RB3 yet, does this mean I can’t buy new songs for RB2?

Rock Band 3

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be created?

Why is the game telling me I need to get a negative score to increase my rank?
Is the Dave Ghrol achievement bugged?

What is taking so darned long in fixing problems with the game and/or web site? We have been waiting forever for a patch

What was the reasoning behind removing both online and local competitive modes from RB3?

Hey! Why can’t I play Pro-Guitar online with people who don’t have Pro Charts? If I am playing Pro Guitar with three others that are playing pro drums and keys, but don’t own the pro-guitar charts, because they don’t need them, why can’t I play with them?

Can’t you fix vocal overdrive deployment better than that?

So, with no RB4 and all of the focus HMX is giving to other HMX titles, has the focus shifted away from Rock Band for good?

Rock Band Network

Do RBN songs have pro-drums like HMX released songs do?

Many legacy RBN songs have incorrect Pro Drums charting, unlike the official DLC. Is there any chance these could be fixed by the author, if they so choose, and re-downloaded?

”RBN”, “RBN”, “RBN” is all I hear about, but I have a Wii, where is my RBN?

Message Boards
Everyone having the same avatar on the message boards is driving me nuts, can HMX do something about it?

How much of a effect DO these boards have on sales?

Ownership

Harmonix is no longer owned by Viacom? What happens to us?

OK, now that some time has passed, is HMX suffering from the Viacom breakup?

Wii Specific

Why doesn't the Wii get updated like the other systems?

Comments

• SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited February 2011
    Question: Why is there sometimes a delay in getting songs released on different consoles?

Different consoles have different submission time lines and that's almost 100% out of our control. Larger submissions take more time to get approved and pushed live, so with such a large library of content we're already pushing the limits of maximum volume of content submission. All we can do is keep on [them] and update you when they give us updates.
    edited February 2011
    Question: Hey, I bought songs as DLC that I can’t play anymore, what is going on?

HMXhenry said: Sorry for the delay in officially responding to this.

We hope you're enjoying playing all the available songs inside of Rock Band 3. With regards to "Rock and Roll Star" and "Hier Kommt Alex" those two tracks were featured on the EU disc of Rock Band 2 before they were offered as standalone DLC tracks in other territories.

Unfortunately, because we were not able to support these songs for RB2 EU disc export at launch, we are not able to allow the transfer of DLC tracks. Those two songs WILL continue to work inside of Rock Band 2. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
    edited February 2011
    Question: HMX, why don’t you like us anymore? You take away our songs and you make us pay for upgraded songs we already own and make us buy pro-guitar/bass separate.

HMXhenry said:I think if people take a step back and take a look at how much stuff we ARE supporting it will paint our dedication to our fan base in a very different light.

Out of 2,137 songs in the RB library there are fewer than a dozen songs (not counting the 9 HMX songs from RB2 coming for free later) that aren't playable in RB3. That's roughly half of one percent when other music games struggle to retain 50% of their catalog, and the vast majority of other games don't bother with export at all. We don't support the platform ideal because it's easy, but because it's the thing that most rewarding to the user, to the gamer that wants to have all of their songs in one place.

There are a lot of moving pieces in RB's platform concept, including DLC compatibility, title export, hardware compatibility, consistent weekly DLC releases, a variety of Pro upgrade options for DLC, re releasing back catalog requests, adding new instruments, enabling Pro drums in existing legacy songs for free in RB3, etc.

Does the platform mean that all of your songs would upgrade to Pro automatically? No. Does it mean that there will be Pro options available cheaper for people that already purchased the songs? No. Would that be great? Yes, it certainly would, but for a variety of technical and licensing issues outlined in other posts I've made on the forums today it's just not a possibility right now.

I can certainly understand that some people aren't thrilled with the fact that the entirely optional Pro upgrades aren't free, or cheaper or broken down into even smaller offers, but to cite that as the example that proves that we don't care about the loyal fans or the early adopters summarily ignores all of the things that we've done over the last 3 years to ensure that your past titles, your past DLC and your past hardware work within RB3.
    edited February 2011
    Question: Why can’t we get a discount on “RB3 Versions” of the songs?

HMXHenry said While this is a great plan in theory, there are a ton of variables that make this much more difficult than it may initially appear. First of all, we'd have to have 1st party (across the board) agree to making a cheaper alternative possible. We'd also have to have bands sign off when licensing songs to have them agree to the smaller price point. We'd also have to add another unique offer to the submission pipeline which could potentially eat in to how many other songs we're able to release in a given week. Beyond that, a lower price point wouldn't change the amount of work that would go in to authoring keyboards and harmonies for those tracks.

While we obviously want to support the people that were early adopters for DLC, we're already pushing the technical limitations of what's possible with numerous DLC submissions for multiple pieces of content on three different platforms. We've provided as many options as possible to make sure that people have a choice when purchasing and upgrading their DLC. Some people may choose to upgrade everything and some people may choose to upgrade nothing. And that's entirely your choice, just as it is with the regular weekly DLC.

I think it makes the most sense to make decisions on a week to week, song to song basis. No one is asking you to commit to Pro everything, always, forever right now. And for those of you concerned about being "forced" to repurchased 2,000 songs at $2 a piece plus upgrades... it took 3 years for us to get to 2,000 songs, and there's going to be weeks where we might not have pro upgrades for any legacy songs, so I wouldn't worry about getting a shakedown for 2,000 optional back catalog songs any time soon. Find what you like most, and buy those things. You still have the legacy songs and you'll have plenty of new DLC every week, so there's going to be a lot of options.
    edited February 2011
    Question: What the hell? Only 12 Bon Jovi songs and three of them repeats?

HMXhenry said: Sorry to hear you're bummed out by the number of songs, but we tried to make it pretty clear that we were getting 12 songs and not the entire album. Here's the discussion thread that's been up for the last month or so that announced the news. As for the songs that we already have, there's been a huge number of requests for rereleasing back catalog tracks with Pro charting. I certainly don't hope this is the last we've seen of the Jovi, so if there are additional songs you'd like to see hit up the song request feature in the Support tab.
    edited February 2011
    Question: Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be created?
    HMXhenry said: FWIW, you can have ten custom characters for each profile so if you're interested in creating more in game avatars you can use multiple profiles to beef up your roster pretty quickly. Hopefully that helps those of you in love with the character creator!
    edited February 2011
    Question: Why is the game telling me I need to get a negative score to increase my rank?

HMXThrasher said: hey guys - we've seen this a few times and are looking into a fix for it.
    hooray for math!
    edited February 2011
    Question: Harmonix doesn’t know what they are doing with pro-charts. Why don’t they play like the tabs I have gotten off the internet?

HMXThrasher said: …Our team of professional musicians in the audio department utilize stems and input from the original artists when doing our charting. In rare instances small tweaks are made for the sake of gameplay but you'll find that we don't just "rewrite music theory" or "make up our own chords" - please don't disrespect our hard working (and well educated) authoring team by suggesting that.

DavyinaToga sent me a PM saying: A majority of the "Sousaphone Is A Necessary Evil" episode of the HMX podcast embellishes the answer a bit more thoroughly, covering the whole Pro authoring/Trainers process and the difference between the 17-fret Mustang and the full 22-fret Squier leading to differences in charts.

That podcast can be found here: http://www.rockband.com/blog/episode031
    edited February 2011
    Question: Is the Dave Ghrol achievement bugged?

HMXThrasher said; This goal is tied to DLC and the [goals] menu will help you figure out which songs to use. [Exported songs will not work].
    edited February 2011
    Question: Do RBN songs have pro-drums like HMX released songs do?

HMXThrasher said: Regarding RBN songs w/pro cymbals - So here's the deal with those tracks - Rock Band Network drums will work in Pro Drums on a song by song basis, based on whether or not the authors added extra MIDI information. To be clear, the authoring standards were updated with this info well after launch, so older RBN content is unlikely to have Pro Drums charted. More recent tracks are more likely to have this extra data. So the older songs you've tried to play are not authored wrong specifically, it’s just that there’s no Pro info in the song, and so cymbals show up as default (basically those older songs aren't meant to be played in Pro Mode.
    Hope that clears things up - thanks so much for supporting the RBN content!
    edited February 2011
    Question: Everyone having the same avatar is driving me nuts, can HMX do something about it?

HMXhenry said I'll talk to Web Team about the forced avatars. We've been talking about a plan to make avatars, signatures and custom titles "unlockables" that you can earn. Part of the intent of making avatars unlockable is being able to easily identify spammers, one time posters and people that register just to cause trouble as well as rewarding people who are awesome posters and want to stick around to get more involved in the community.

We'd obviously make things like avatars very easily accessible for new users, since it definitely helps us identify posters as well. There are roughly 450,000 posters registered to the forums, so having a more visual cue tied to someone's username is incredibly helpful. That's part of the reason why I've never changed my avatar, because I want to make sure that people know me when they see me. So by all means, avatar it up! You wouldn't go outside without wearing any clothes, so don't show up to the forums naked either.
    edited February 2011
    What was the reasoning behind removing both online and local competitive modes from RB3?

HMXHenry said One of the challenges we face with every release is finding a way to appeal to both hardcore and casual fans without just repeating whatever we did last time. We want to make sure that features appeal to as many people as possible, and hopefully new features like Pro Mode, expert level goals, friend to friend leaderboards and setlist battles will scratch that itch for the hardcore score focused fans.
    edited February 2011
    Will additional disc exports be supported by Rock Band 3 on the Wii in the future?

HMXHenry said Rock Band 2 and GD:RB were definitely the immediate priorities at launch. We’re thrilled that RB3 is able to support export on the Wii and we’ll continue to work with Nintendo to try to get Wii folks access to as much music as possible.
    edited February 2011
    Many legacy RBN songs have incorrect Pro Drums charting, unlike the official DLC. Is there any chance these could be fixed by the author, if they so choose, and re-downloaded?

HMXHenry said Unfortunately not. The tracks aren’t necessarily charted incorrectly, they just display cymbals by default if the author chose not to add in the extra MIDI information. The authoring standards changed well after RBN’s launch, so newer songs are more likely to have this extra data. The only way to add the Pro Drum charting would be to release a new track offer that people would have to buy, since RBN would recognize it as an entirely different song.
    edited February 2011
    HMXHenry saidWe are working on numerous things all of the time, but we don't post time lines or expected dates for fixes when they are out of our control. Some fixes are dependent on 1st party approval, so it would be awfully presumptuous for us to make a definitive statement without having all our ducks in a row first. Also, if given the choice between having a fix done fast or done right, we'll choose doing it right. When we're confident that we have a stable date for a patch we will, of course, post that date and make everyone aware as soon as we possibly can.
    edited February 2011
    Why are we always in the dark on things? Why can’t HMX answer our questions?

HMXHenry said We're not able to make stickied announcements for every subject that comes up on the boards. There are currently 78 stickied threads (!!!) in all the sub forums, and that's already a horribly unwieldy number. Making more stickies isn't the answer, especially when a great deal of information that people complain about IS addressed in stickies that they didn't bother to read.

Our communication can definitely be better and, as some posters have noted, our follow up is not strong and we're working to improve that process. A great deal of our frustration lies in the fact that we rely on many other parties for information. When we announce a DLC issue, for example, we're reliant on 1st party for a resubmission timeline that we can pass along to you. Sometimes we don't get that crucial follow up info and we all end up in the dark, sometimes until we come in one day and find that the issue has been mysteriously fixed, and that's clearly not ideal for any of us. One thing that we've started doing in an effort to make info more visible is editing responses into OPs to consolidate info, realizing that many people won't read beyond the first page.

All forums rely heavily on community interaction and peer to peer info sharing. Users like Apples and Sayburr are invaluable because they're willing to take a minute (literally one minute) to search for info that they are looking for, and they then go out of their way to share that info with other posters. Between the search feature, the ability to review the backlog of dev posts and the existing stickies there are many ways to find official comments on issues. If you see someone looking for info and you know where it is, please link to that thread or post. If more people are providing links and helpful quotes, that will end up becoming more effective than one stickied post in a wall of stickied posts.

Regarding specifics of fixes, sometimes we're not able to give that info right away. Sometimes "we're aware of it and we're working on a fix" is the best answer available. It would be foolish, irresponsible and misleading for us to announce a list of things that we hope to fix only to find out that something had to be cut due to technical limitations, there was an issue with 1st party, there was a delay in the expected date, etc. When we have concrete information, we will post it as soon as we're able. You should be seeing an announcement addressing specific patch issues in the very near future, and that will be stickied front and center so everyone can see it. I think that announcement is very much in line with the info and communication you're asking for, and we'll be just as thrilled as you are to start discussing it in more concrete terms.
    edited February 2011
    Why can’t HMX just put a post in the announcement forums that is updated with all of the issues

HMXhenry said From my experience, when you have threads that mix software issues with DLC issues with hardware issues with retail issues with export issues, etc. it becomes increasingly difficult for people to find the one specific piece of information that they are looking for. I think Sayburr's thread provides a lot of what you're looking for, but even in that thread there's posts asking for answers that were quoted on the very same page.

Our ultimate plan is to make the support forums almost like mini announcement threads. Our plan is to make them read only, so there will be higher visibility for issues that are brought up and stickied there. We expanded these support forums from 2 to 4 sub forums at launch to make sure people were able to jump right to the section specific to them. If someone is looking for the missing Week 96 DLC we wouldn't want them to have to read through a 5 page sticky of hardware, export and retail issues to find an answer. We've left the support threads open this long to catch as much initial feedback as we can during launch, but by the end of the year we should expect to mass merge a great number of threads and make it read only so that mods and devs will be the only people posting or moving issues into those forums. Hopefully that will keep things organized in a way that makes sense to everyone.
    edited February 2011
    Is there any way to request a band or make it more likely for them to be DLC (getting a lot of support, contacting record company, etc.)?

Der Lex said A few ways, actually.

If you want a band to have 'official' Harmonix-charted DLC in the game, you can either post a request in the Ultimate Setlist section of the forum (make sure to see if there's already a thread for your band, one big thread is more impressive than dozens of little ones) or you can use this link for a direct request: http://www.rockband.com/request (link at the bottom of every forum page)

If you think a band might be interested in putting their songs on the Rock Band Network, you can contact them (or their management) yourself and tell them about it. You'll find a lot of information on how to approach bands in the Rock Band Network section of this forum.

Additional information from Dec 16 2011 press release The Facebook RB Dashboard is a cool way for you to explore the RB library (like a more accessible version of our Songs page) and let us know which bands you want to see in the game! We've been pointing people to RockBand.com/request for song suggestions, but the RB Dashboard offers a few different wishlists that are visible to everyone in the community, so you can see in real time which bands are the most requested.
    edited February 2011
    Why is HMX so pro-censorship?

HMXThrasher said
    It's not tailored to adults. The game and the site are supposed to be T-rated.

We like both our game and our website to be accessible to the largest audience possible, for us a T for Teen rating helps do that. Obviously it follows then that the site subscribes to some of those same rules - we want anyone who visits to feel comfortable posting.

For all of the songs that appear in-game we do work with the artists, their managers, and labels to ensure the artistic integrity of their work - you'll never see a song "censored" to the point of making it vastly different from the original. Rather what you find in-game for some tracks is similar to an edit you might hear on the radio.

HMXHenry goes on to say
    Everyone is really just taking stabs in the dark. Even I'm not directly involved with the licensing process, but I can say with some degree of certainty that RB is getting more play time in living rooms than in bars, and that we get more angry emails asking for more censorship than we get emails asking for less.

Would offering two different versions of a song net us more than it would cost to license and submit or develop a tool to support? Probably not. Would having profanity kept in songs attract more people than it would alienate? Probably not. If that we're the case I'd imagine we would have pursued that path long before it was suggested on the forums.

As a company full of artists (and generally foul mouthed individuals) it's not as if we're "pro censorship" and we're getting our jollies cutting words from songs. We're working hard to maintain the integrity of an artist's work while still releasing it in a format that will get approved by the ESRB and will appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

No one has ever told me that they're going to stop playing RB because swears aren't included in songs, but we get emails all day long about Cleveland Steamers, goddamn half Japanese girls, riding trains while high on cocaine and Dave Coulier in a theater. If you absolutely positively have to hear a song in it's original form you can always listen to that song. But if you want to play it in RB it's going to conform to the T for Teen slapped on the box.
    edited February 2011
    Q: Couldn’t you offer M rated songs to those who want them? If I were HMX, I would offer the choice.

A: HMXThrasher said But if you're us, and you're doing all of this market research into who plays your games, and who your audience is, and you have to juggle additional factors such as development time, authoring budgets, and ratings from the ESRB, you also have to look at what makes the most business sense. I know it seems (b/c I've read threads like this over and over the last few years), like it would really be a simple thing to just make an "M" rated version of our game ON TOP of all of the development we do for the regular versions. If that were the case, and it made business sense to do so, or made sense for the audience we've spent so much time researching, that's perhaps what would happen. BUT our goal, before we even get into the economics of game development and distribution, is to expose as many people as we can to new music. If someone hears something in-game and loves it, hopefully they'll go check out more by that band. At this time a "T for Teen" rated game not only helps us do that, but it also makes business sense for us to do that, plain and simple.

Like I said too we work with the artists who appear in our game - and their affiliates - very carefully to ensure that they're happy and comfortable with what shows up in game.
    edited February 2011
    Where is all of the good music?

HMXHenry said At the corner of Different Strokes For Different Folks and "Good" Is Entirely Subjective, that's where.

Forum response: Hey, you all are ignoring a huge market by ignoring certain bands

HMXHenry said My response didn't have anything to do with the bands that he listed, but rather with his assessment that the bands we have been releasing aren't "good". If he had said "I'm not crazy about the songs that have been released lately, but I'd like to see some stuff by these bands" I wouldn't have said anything at all. I didn't say anything about which bands are and aren't good, he did. It's something that really gets my goat.

Forum response: Wow HMX Henry. I own over 1,200 songs from all genre's, I have owned all the Harmonix games. I have supported since day one. I am just starting to question if you guys are even trying anymore. Why even have an ultimate setlist suggestion thread if 99% of the requested songs never make it. Support the fans that play the game!

HMXHenry said It's awesome that you have so many songs and that you're such a big fan of Rock Band, but it bums me out when people declare that bands or songs aren't "good". You may not like all the DLC that we put out, but there are a ton of other people out there playing Rock Band and they're downloading those songs in huge numbers. Heck, I don't like every song that we put out but I'm able to recognize that different people like different things, just as I'm able to walk into a record store without knocking over displays for bands I don't like and shouting "EPIC FAIL, where's all the GOOD music?!"

We're are supporting the fans that play the game, and we're doing so by releasing DLC more frequently and in larger quantities than any other game out there. Releasing huge artists like David Bowie, Johnny Cash, The Clash and Bob Marley doesn't mean we're not supporting the fans, it just means that we're releasing different content than what you want right now. That doesn't make them any better or worse than the bands you listed.
    edited February 2011
    Harmonix is no longer owned by Viacom? What happens to us?

HMXHenry said This shouldn't impact you guys at all. Support for RB3, past titles and weekly DLC will continue uninterrupted.
    edited February 2011
    The DLC being released is boring, we need more Metal! Even people at ScoreHero are asking for more challenging DLC

HMXHenry said While these forums represent a small percentage of the overall RB community, the folks at ScoreHero are an even smaller part of the whole, repping the most hardcore of the hardcore. Metal may not be as popular with the majority of RB players as you might imagine judging by comments on the forums.

Metal still outnumbers Classic Rock in the DLC library, and RBN has been cranking out amazing metal tracks every week so there's more than enough stuff available for those looking for a finger cramping challenge. And we will, of course, be releasing more metal DLC in the future. But I don't think releasing punk, country, reggae and classic rock DLC will drive all the metal heads to immediately sell their games, no more so than the large chunk of metal dropped around RB2's release frightened off the fans of punk, country, reggae and classic rock.
    edited February 2011
    Hey! Why can’t I play Pro-Guitar online with people who don’t have Pro Charts? If I am playing Pro Guitar with three others that are playing pro drums and keys, but don’t own the pro-guitar charts, because they don’t need them, why can’t I play with them?

HMXHenry said Pro upgrades are intended to function as all other DLC does, meaning you need to have parity with people playing in your online band. That is, if you want to play Under Pressure with a band, everyone else in the band needs to have Under Pressure. If you want to play Under Pressure (RB3 Version) then everyone else in the band needs to have Under Pressure (RB3 Version). And if you want to play Pro Guitar on Under Pressure (RB3 Version) then the rest of your band mates need to have that file as well.

File compatibility is no picnic, especially as more tiers are introduced with RB3 versions and upgrades, but it becomes even more problematic when incompatibility results in blank note highways, mismatched scoring and other miscellaneous problems on the back end. To account for these edge cases and to correctly display tracks as intended in the design of our online multiplayer system this was changed in the title update.

Making larger changes to the infrastructure of online band mechanics is a bold enough undertaking as is, and a patch isn’t really the ideal platform for it, certainly not a patch as densely packed as the one we released today. We will, however, continue to track your feedback and pass it along internally to ensure that we’re able to improve online matchmaking moving forward. I hope that answers some of your questions.

Forum Response: To paraphrase: "Pro guitar/bass was never intended for online play. deal with it."

HMXHenry said That's not the case at all, and it holds about as much water as saying that we're holding people hostage with regular DLC because a full band needs to have a track before they can play with each other online. Pro DLC is intended to work the same as regular DLC. But I can see that may not be an ideal solution for some people in this thread, so we're collecting feedback and we're letting Design know how we can improve things in the future.

Also, for what it's worth, the process of identifying an issue, confirming it internally as "an issue" and not "a confusing design choice", crafting a solution for it and then implementing it is not always as easy as any of us would like it to be. This wasn't something that popped up on launch day that we ignored until now, and there's a lot of work that we do behind the scenes that you're not seeing. Our hands were also relatively tied until we knew what was going to make it into the final version of the update that hit on Monday.

Forum Response: We know you listen because of the stage kit support being added back in, so if we keep this issue going will you listen to us too?

HMXHenry said We are listening and we are collecting feedback for the Design team. We're also comparing forum feedback to statistics we have for online gameplay, online Pro gameplay and online Pro gameplay in full bands so we can make decisions that will positively benefit as many players as possible.

Forum response: So really? I have to go find new friends? That's a ridiculous solution.

HMXHenry said If the answer is "find more people by taking advantage of the robust community on RockBand.com" I think that's a pretty minimal effort required to reach your ideal online RB3 scenario. It doesn't mean you have to stop playing with your RB1 era friends, but since when is meeting new people and having more options on your friends list a bad thing?

We obviously want to make online matchmaking as easy as the current system will allow, but if you refuse to play with different people online or reach out to other members of the community then there's not a whole lot more we can do for you right now.
    edited February 2011
    Wow... over 1.5 hours to make this... time for a nap :)
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Nice work, Sayburr, thank you for your dedication.
    edited February 2011
    No problem, I was trying to find an answer in the other thread and it took forever, so I decided if I couldn't find answers, no one else could either... so I decided this thread needed to be indexed.

As issues are resolved that are indexed, the link can be removed... also, no matter where the conversation goes, revelent information can be linked to in the index.

Should be a useful thread now.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    Why didn’t the Wii get the free song(s)

HMXHenry said Free DLC, as with paid DLC, isn't something that we're able to set without 1st party consent. We submitted this HMX pack to all 3 consoles and for whatever reason only MS and Sony agreed to offer the free pack so that's why it's only going to be available on the 360 and PS3. It's obviously in our best interest to make these songs available to everyone that wants them (and there's no reason why we wouldn't want Wii owners to have a chance to play these songs) but unfortunately it's not a process that we have complete control over.

Even free songs need to be licensed. Even free songs from HMX bands need to be licensed. One of questions that has popped up a few times has been about the possibility of releasing this pack as a paid download on the Wii, and unfortunately that is unlikely to happen any time soon. As I understand it, songs licensed for free release can't be also be released as paid downloads, even on other consoles. Licensing is a complicated process, and an influx of money for a song licensed as a free release would, I am sure, complicate things further.
    edited February 2011
    Why charge and export fee, is it to gouge us for more money? How about just taking a hit on the bottom line and giving it to us free?

HMXHenry said FWIW We don't make any money on export fees. That all goes towards re licensing music for the option to use your songs in future games. Licensing for music isn't a universal thing (unfortunately) which means that licensing a song for RB2 doesn't mean that we're licensed to use it in commercials, demos, podcasts or future games. It's not by choice, it's just the nature of the beast.

Beyond that, "taking the hit on our bottom line" would severely impact our ability to make future games, release future DLC, maintain good relationships with artists, etc. We're doing absolutely as much as we can to get as many songs as possible for as little as possible, but at the end of the day is an entirely optional feature that we have to clear with all the bands and labels. And we put in a lot of work to make that option possible because we believe it leads to the best overall Rock Band experience.