Best Band of This Generation?

Keagan2387Keagan2387 Opening Act
edited August 2007 in History of Rock
Who do you think people will look back and say is one or some of the best bands of this generation? I would have to say The Mars Volta, and Coheed and Cambria. Their music is just superior in my view to most of the music out today. What bands you guys think?

Comments

• tmanrockstmanrocks Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Keagan2387;24071 said:
    Who do you think people will look back and say is one or some of the best bands of this generation? I would have to say The Mars Volta, and Coheed and Cambria. Their music is just superior in my view to most of the music out today. What bands you guys think?
    They are quite superior.

I guess I can't just say things I like the sound of but

Technically speaking : Dream theater , and rush have to be the most skilled bands that are currently active

Though I imagine in like 2050 the 00's CD collections will be packed with fallout boy and friends , cause thats just how it is you know?
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    the fall of troy
    the mars volta
    the human abstract
    protest the hero
  • BobLoblawBobLoblaw Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Animal Collective is the best band of this generation, though that doesn't nessercarily mean they'll be looked back on as the best band of this generation.
  • CaptasticCaptastic Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Keagan2387;24071 said:
    Cool, someone finally agrees.
  • FunkaTrunkFunkaTrunk Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Lordi, they've got great sound, and are world known.

And Buckethead! His music awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7D9tlc1bCg
  • DIEGOROBOT26DIEGOROBOT26 Banned
    edited July 2007
    Coheed
    Mars Volta
    Buckethead

Everyone made good choices, Rush is amazing for still doing what they do and I respect them a lot. Specially after seeing them live two weeks ago :cool:
    edited July 2007
    2 of you said buckethead and I'd like to say

He is good at guitar but... there doesn't seem to be much else going for his band >_>; so how can his band be the best?
  • Keagan2387Keagan2387 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    haha wow I'm surprised to see so many people saying Big B, I love it:cool:
  • HardRockerBrazilHardRockerBrazil Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Well, I dunno. I'm not really into new rock. Even though I like Foo Fighters, but they're already in the game.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    Coheed and Cambria are amazing. They march to the beat of their own drum for sure. No question about originality or talent. Fires on all cylinders. They definitely qualify as one of the best bands of the 00's for me. But the decade aint over yet and I'm hoping that some more awesome original bands make themselves known.
  • monlienNH3monlienNH3 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Two bands I wish people would look back and say were great from this generation:
    1. Mars Volta
    2. Arctic Monkeys

Unfortunately, not enough people know about or listen to either one - especially Mars Volta. I told all my friends 2 years ago that I was going to buy them all "Frances the Mute" for xmas - since they refused to give it a chance. I didn't do it, but I should have. More than likely people will remember whatever was popular as opposed to what was good. For instance, people only know Faith No More for "Epic" which is a shame.
    edited July 2007
    um.... the mars volta is unpopular? The Widow was all over the radio and MTV a couple years ago, and i remember hearing L'via L'viaquez every time i went to the hard rock cafe.
    edited July 2007
    Rev0lver;24266 said:
    um.... the mars volta is unpopular? The Widow was all over the radio and MTV a couple years ago, and i remember hearing L'via L'viaquez every time i went to the hard rock cafe.
    They are very big in the "scene" world. But I don't get why, their music is so unique from every other band out now. It doesn't make a lot of sense. But I think he means they should be known more then they already are. Like front runner of rock music for the generation. A poster child if you would like to call it. But sadly they wont be known as that.
    edited July 2007
    i'm not saying they're as popular as MCR or Green Day, but a hell of alot more popular than some other very talented bands.
    edited July 2007
    Rev0lver;24266 said:
    Maybe I haven't been paying attention but has anything off of "Amputechture" been getting any play. Or maybe I'm just surrounded by uncool people who don't appreciate good music. I'm not a good reference for what gets airplay. I don't listen to radio and I quit watching music video channels since they stopped playing music videos. What I'm asking is if they've had more national exposure since "The Widow"? As I referenced earlier, FNM is still played all the time with "Epic", but they had other singles and other music videos, yet very few average people consider FNM one of the greatest bands of the late 80's/early 90's like I do. I feel The Mars Volta will suffer the same fate, but I think they're incredible.

Edit: However, I'm glad to hear they are more popular than I was aware of.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    Faith No More was dubbed as a one hit wonder from what I remember.
    edited July 2007
    newwaytodie;24285 said:
    Faith No More was dubbed as a one hit wonder from what I remember.
    Yes. That's the point. A lot of people - myself included - think they are one of the greatest bands of the 90's if not ever. And I was making a comparison between The Mars Volta's popularity and Faith No More's in the early 90's. Just because you get 2 good years of exposure doesn't mean the mainstream/average music listener is going to remember you 50 years down the road - or even 5 years.

Sorry for getting this thread sidetracked. I had no idea that I would create such a debate by saying The Mars Volta aren't popluar enough to be remembered by the mainstream. No one wants to debate The Arctic Monkeys' popularity?
    edited July 2007
    well, arctic monkeys are pretty popular from what i know over in england. not as much here in america, much like Muse.
    edited July 2007
    I love faith no more, they are so much deeper then epic.
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Reel Big Fish.

Ska is so underappreciated.
  • KutsicKutsic Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    In Flames
    Dimmu Borgir
    Opeth
    Dark Tranquillity
    Agalloch
    Linkin Park (feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I have my reasons to justify that one, whether you agree or not is your choice, I really don't care)
  • fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Kutsic;24423 said:

Linkin Park (feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I have my reasons to justify that one, whether you agree or not is your choice, I really don't care)
    your wrong.
  • BarryCBarryC Banned
    edited July 2007
    fragpirate;24492 said:
    your wrong.
    Fragpirate? More like Buttpirate. At least put why you don't think so instead of flaming him.

Linkin Park is pretty successful for this generation, sales-wise. They sold millions of albums and have one of the best selling albums in the world.
  • xenopherusxenopherus Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Kutsic;24423 said:
    In Flames
    Dimmu Borgir
    Opeth
    Dark Tranquillity
    Agalloch

Pfsh, AMEN!! Finally, someone with some sense! I have to admit, I always change the channel when Coheed and Cambria come on my beloved Sirius Satellite Radio. They remind me of a very crappy version of Rush. The instrumentals are fine, but the dudes high-toned warbly voice is horrid. The Mars Volta is listenable, but meh. Opeth though, they're actually doing something amazing and profound musically. Dark Tranquillity too, although their songs get a little repetitive, but who cares since they sound so good.
  • HardRockerBrazilHardRockerBrazil Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Keagan2387;24308 said:
    I love faith no more, they are so much deeper then epic.
    Oh-ho my God, my thoughts exactly. I just love The Real Thing in its entirety.
    Especially Falling to Pieces.

Now about Linkin Park: sincerely, they are one of the bands I hate the most. Man, they blend so much rap and techno into their rock it doesn't even get classifiable enough. And I tell ya, I used to like them a while ago, but I grew tired of the repetitiveness of their songs. Just my 2 cents on them.
    edited July 2007
    BarryC;24497 said:
    Fragpirate? More like Buttpirate. At least put why you don't think so instead of flaming him.

Linkin Park is pretty successful for this generation, sales-wise. They sold millions of albums and have one of the best selling albums in the world.
    and that makes them a good band how? nsync also sold millions of albums.
  • KutsicKutsic Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Album sales have nothing to do with it, the other bands on my list prove that one. I just think they're amazing at making mainstream music that, at the same time, is maturely written, and while simplistic, has multiple layers to it. I also think they put on the best live show I've ever seen (and considering the bands I've seen, that's pretty impressive).

Also, in reference to the Nsync thing, all of the members are actually really good singers, and Justin Timberlake is, in my opinion, one of the best pop artists of all time.
    edited July 2007
    I said skillwise dream theater , but honestly... I hate dream theaters music lol

So... for a mix between sounds good and still has mass skill I'm just gonna go with everyone else and say coheed

Dream theater sure as hell knows how to play their instruments but I don't think they know how to make songs appealing......
  • progROCKERprogROCKER Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    ewww coheed

anyway

TOOL and dream theater (the end)

I disagree with you about dream theater. Except for one or two of the songs from their new cd everything is appealing.
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Apparently everyone here loves Prog Metal.

Eww.