New Radiohead Album

BeebBeeb Banned
edited May 2011 in History of Rock
:}

New Radiohead Album, King of Limbs comes out on Saturday.

I hope that means some Radiohead related DLC soon? :<

Who else would buy The Bends 6 times over for no reason? I would.

Comments

• ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I doubt that changes anything regarding more Radiohead in Rockband, but it's still awesome. Another Radiohead album! I can't freaking wait!! :D :D
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    I'm really excited too.

Their best album is obviously Kid A, no doubt about that. They haven't made a real classic since 2000 but I hope the new album delivers at least a few amazing songs like Pyramid Song, There There and Reckoner.
  • MPPMikeMPPMike Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    Glad to see someone shares my love for "Reckoner". I'd love to try to sing that in RB. I think the only chance we have for more Radiohead in RB would be songs from "In Rainbows" and this new album. I believe they have/had a pretty nasty feud going with their former record label, which is partially the reason for their recent unorthodox record release strategies. I'm guessing the licensing for older albums might be a bit murky.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Since when do albums come out on Saturdays? Silly Radiohead always trying to be different...
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    I love all three of Radiohead's phases but I still prefer the middle one. The "My Iron Lung" EP was groundbreaking...and the resulting full lengther "The Bends" showed and proved that the band wasn't a one-hit-wonder band. I wish they would release a true follow-up to that, but doubt it will ever happen.

Rolling Stone ranks it highest although most everywhere else says Ok Computer.

Any and all Radiohead is great.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    sillystou;4298934 said:
    Since when do albums come out on Saturdays? Silly Radiohead always trying to be different...

A digital download release doesn't need to conform to the weekly shipping schedules of physical retail.
  • BonE74MeBonE74Me Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    I prefer the album '01 and 10'. Now there's a fun idea for a big ol' Radiohead DLC release. ;)
    edited February 2011
    BonE74Me;4299042 said:
    I prefer the album '01 and 10'. Now there's a fun idea for a big ol' Radiohead DLC release. ;)

That's not a real album. I tried to listen to it that way and it sounds way better seperated.
    Of course I get what you're saying - that we should best get both albums, but those albums are masterpieces on their own, building a great atmosphere each, and those atmospheres are totally destroyed and thrown around when you listen to those songs in that order and pretend that its an album.
  • BonE74MeBonE74Me Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    Coldplayer;4299073 said:
    That's not a real album. I tried to listen to it that way and it sounds way better seperated.
    So basically you're saying that you gotta keep 'em separated?

Wait - did you do the 10 second crossfade?

Seriously though, I understand that it's not a real album. Then again... is it? 'Cause the one thing and then the... whoa. Freakin' myself out a bit here. Time for my meds.
    edited February 2011
    rab39;4298959 said:
    I love all three of Radiohead's phases but I still prefer the middle one. The "My Iron Lung" EP was groundbreaking...and the resulting full lengther "The Bends" showed and proved that the band wasn't a one-hit-wonder band. I wish they would release a true follow-up to that, but doubt it will ever happen.

Rolling Stone ranks it highest although most everywhere else says Ok Computer.

Any and all Radiohead is great.

Actually these days you hear more and more voices calling Kid A their greatest. Which it is.

Anyway, I'm a huge radiohead fan but I think the Bends is quite overrated. It's an average rock record with some great songs (mainly Street Spirit and Fake Plastic Trees) and loads of mediocre rockers (Bones, The Bends, etc). I don't see how the Iron Lung EP is "groundbreaking"; it has some good songs though.

And why isn't OKC a "true follow-up" to The Bends? Unless by "true follow-up" you mean exact copy, which would be quite stupid to do.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited February 2011
    color me excited. call me a fanboy, whatever...but Radiohead is a band Ill never get tired of.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Dante1847;4299978 said:
    color me excited. call me a fanboy, whatever...but Radiohead is a band Ill never get tired of.

Same here, although some of their more recent releases haven't been on par with The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A. Still enjoyable albums, just not as good.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2011
    Man, the art I've seen associated with this is a real eyesore.
    I like playing with Photoshop too, but geez.
    edited February 2011
    can't be worse than their Hail to the Thief cover
  • Out_of_Time_ManOut_of_Time_Man Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    Alright! A video for "Lotus Flower" is online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8

I don't think I want to play this in Rock Band, but maybe the Dance Central guys should take a look at it.

:-p
    edited February 2011
    Released early... On first listen I dug this bit more than the last two LP's, but can't compete with the earlier stuff.

I imagine without drugs this album is a total snore.
    edited February 2011
    very solid album. stasis is right: very mellow, but I listened to it with only 2 beers in and enjoyed it a lot.
    edited February 2011
    not really sure how to take this. some songs are great (give up the ghost, seperator), some don't really work (feral). knowing what they left on the shelf (present tense, daily mail), this album could have been way better. will probably grow on me.
  • MooTrainMooTrain Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    My wife got our copy this morning but I have to wait until I'm home to hear it. Nooooo.

I've listened to Lotus Flower five times now.
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    I preordered the newspaper album, so pretty stoked for that. Listening to the mp3 now. I'm loving it
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited February 2011
    afterstasis;4304264 said:
    Released early... On first listen I dug this bit more than the last two LP's, but can't compete with the earlier stuff.

I imagine without drugs this album is a total snore.
    I'll report back in an hour or so. At work, and lamentably sober.

EDIT: Honestly, if you're used to that sort of music, the first couple of tracks will practically get you high listening to them through headphones. It's that strong of an effect... really liked the first two and the last three tracks, and Feral was an aberrant blip. Still very, very good overall, though... and definitely seeing more and more krautrock influence on Radiohead's sound in this release.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited February 2011
    This album confirms my idea that Radiohead (at least post-The Bends Radiohead) doesn't write songs, but jams. It's both a good and bad thing.
    edited February 2011
    Going to quote my opinion, which I wrote in a different Radiohead thread in the Ultimate Setlist forum:
    Whow. Disappointment.

I'm just halfway through the album but meh.

After the awesome Harry Patch and These Are My Twisted Words (both two of my favorite Radiohead songs) I expected something great.
    But you know how this album feels? Like Amnesiac 2.0. And Amnesiac is definitely my least favorite album. Although even songs like Pyramid song, You And Whose Army or I Might Be Wrong are at least awesome standout songs, while on King of Limbs I'm not sure if there is anything awesome on it. Yeah, I'm not through yet, but this thing is only 38 minutes long (really short for calling it an album). I'm on track 5 now. Lotus Flower. The first one that sounds solid. But still not really outstanding.

I know, Radiohead albums always need some time to get into, but this seems ridiculous.

EDIT: Are there any guitars on that album? xD

EDIT2: Oh, and don't get me wrong. It's not bad. But also not really that great.

EDIT3: Okay, the end is getting better and there are some highlights finally! Codex is beautiful and Give Up The Ghost is actually one of the songs I knew already and definitely the best so far on this album!

(LAST?) EDIT: Ok, I'm through. Last song was ok, but little bit repetitive. Maybe needs more listens. Well. Only two good song, while Give Up The Ghost is actually great. But other than that... it's short and I expected much more.
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Coldplayer;4305031 said:
    Going to quote my opinion, which I wrote in a different Radiohead thread in the Ultimate Setlist forum:

I feel you CP. I'm pretty disappointed by this album as well. Mainly by the fact that it's the shortest album ever, but also because I feel that half of it is pretty damn mediocre.

The standouts for me are Lotus Flower & Separator followed by Bloom and Morning Mr Magpie. After that I feel pretty indifferent towards Little By Little, Give Up The Ghost, and Codex. The first listen through I thought Feral was interesting, but everytime since I can't help but think its just complete filler (on a 8 song album no less). The lack of any guitar driven songs as CP pointed out is also very aggrivating.

At this point, I'd probably stick it between Pablo Honey and Amnesiac as my least favorite Radiohead albums. Everyone always piles on Amnesiac as being one of their worst, but at least it was 11 songs and over half of them are brilliant (imo). It's hard for me to say the same about The King of Limbs.
    edited February 2011
    Runesmith;4304993 said:
    This album confirms my idea that Radiohead (at least post-The Bends Radiohead) doesn't write songs, but jams. It's both a good and bad thing.

I wholly disagree. "Jams" insinuates a free-flowing, improvisational style to the composition... this is very deliberately structured, but in a very "out there" sort of way. I may need to listen to it a couple more times to get some more nuances out of it, but it appears there is a sort of chiasmic symmetry going on in the album being built around the earlier portions of Lotus Flower.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Just DLing it now. I kinda enjoy the one song I've heard from it (Lotus Flower), but it seems kinda boring. They're going for a more avant-garde artsy route, but I think they were best in their earlier stuff, straight up alt-rock. We'll see, we'll see.
    edited February 2011
    It's a good album, but in the wake of the release I'm reminded that it's genuinely depressing how much attention this band gets at this point.
  • swet07swet07 Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    afterstasis;4308646 said:
    It's a good album, but in the wake of the release I'm reminded that it's genuinely depressing how much attention this band gets at this point.

+1

/mu/ was absolutely ridiculous.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to consider giving this album a shot. I didn't find a Radiohead album I liked, but after sampling a couple of tracks, The King of Limbs seems to have something for me.
    edited March 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4326082 said:
    I'm going to consider giving this album a shot. I didn't find a Radiohead album I liked, but after sampling a couple of tracks, The King of Limbs seems to have something for me.

Well, anyone expecting a redux of OK Computer or The Bends would be sadly disappointed, but I think people have pretty well understood that by now.

Then again, for those looking for complex, well-produced, electronic-tinged soundscapes with a flair for long-form composition, The King Of Limbs delivers on that excellently.

It's definitely one that's meant to be heard as a full album, though... some of the elements reappear in later tracks, there's some sense of symmetry, and even the very-clunky-on-its-own "Feral" serves as a focal point of much of the musical direction of the album.