2011(and beyond!) MLB thread.

Comments

• clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, sports distract me from the drudgery of my life. Really it's just a painful reminder.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited March 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4330690 said:
    nah, there are actually good teams in the central. nfc west is a cluster****.
    NFC West is a cluster**** due to the spectacular underachievement of the 49ers. And the Rams will get better w/Bradford which is a bad thing for Seahawks fans such as myself. Good thing they went to the playoffs with a pitiful record, beat the superbowl champs, and caused an earthquake due to fan celebaration.

It would be funny if the NL Central did the same thing this year though with the injury to Wainwright, the Reds should run away with this division.
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited March 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4330628 said:
    And history is not on the side of a team that's made the playoffs just twice in their 40 plus years of existence, especially in a sport with no Salary Cap or revenue sharing.

for clarification, baseball has revenue sharing. i would argue that revenue sharing is a larger point of centention than the salary cap.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited March 2011
    hell yeah, OPENING DAY YO

the Sox lineup (to those who care):

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
    2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
    3. Carl Crawford, LF
    4. Kevin Youkilis, 3B
    5. Adrian Gonzalez, 1B
    6. David Ortiz, DH
    7. Mike Cameron, RF
    8. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C
    9. Marco Scutaro, SS

I REALLY don't like AGon hitting 5th, but I suspect that that may only be necessary against lefties (CJ Wilson today).
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited March 2011
    i only care about where youk is batting. i have multiple shares of him in fantasy.

tim for some baseball picks.

AL west: a's.
    AL central: white sox
    AL east: red sawks
    wildcard: yankees

NL west: giants
    NL central: brewers
    NL east: phillies
    wildcard: braves

AL champ: red sawks
    NL champ: braves

WS champ: red sawks
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited March 2011
    crawford hitting third? he'll get 30 steals from that spot.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    Here's Mine:
    AL west:Oakland A's
    AL central: Minnesota Twins
    AL east: Boston Red Sox
    Wildcard: Detroit Tigers

AL MVP:Adrian Gonzalez,Boston
    AL Cy Young:Justin Verlander,Detroit

NL East:Philadelphia Phillies
    NL Central:Cincinnati Reds
    NL West: Colorado Rockies
    Wildcard:Atlanta Braves

NL MVP:Albert Pujols,St Louis
    NL Cy Young:Ubaldo Jimenez,Colorado

AL Champ:Boston Red Sox
    NL Champ:Philadelphia Phillies

World Series Champ:Boston Red Sox
    edited March 2011
    boo for you picking the white sox as the 3rd team, at best lol, in the central. i would love the rockies if i trusted their pitching staff. i like your individual awards picks too. especially ubaldo. too bad he can't take up two spots in their rotation haha
    edited March 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4353370 said:
    boo for you picking the white sox as the 3rd team, at best lol, in the central. i would love the rockies if i trusted their pitching staff. i like your individual awards picks too. especially ubaldo. too bad he can't take up two spots in their rotation haha

I don't buy into the Sox so much. Also,I am a Tigers fan,so bias right there. But i seriously believe Verlander is going to be the Cy young winner. I almost put Cabby as AL MVP,but Fenway is tailor made for gonzalez.He is going to have a monster year.
    edited March 2011
    well im a white sox fan but i do leave the bias at the door. i love the lineup. pitching staff is deep. bullpen should be decent. it will be close. but i don't think the wildcard comes from the central. i think the yanks, even with their suspect pitching, will grab that.

i kinda like felix to win another cy young. he's so good. and getting better for 4 years in a row. he's a special pitcher.
    edited April 2011
    My Predictions...

AL west: Rangers
    AL central: Twins
    AL east: Blue Jays (My Dark Horse Pick in the AL)
    Wildcard: Yankees

NL west: Giants
    NL central: Reds
    NL east: Phillies
    wildcard: Rockies (My Dark Horse Pick in the NL)

AL champ: Twins
    NL champ: Rockies

WS champ: Twins
    edited April 2011
    the twins can't even win a playoff game let alone the WS. but props for the ballsy pick. i just went with everyones favorite haha
    edited April 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4354036 said:
    the twins can't even win a playoff game let alone the WS. but props for the ballsy pick. i just went with everyones favorite haha
    Thanks for the props. If I went with everyone's favorites then it would be just like the ESPN picks where all of their reporters give the Red Sox the title just because they're from Boston.

As for my ballsiest pick...

The Seattle Mariners will win less than 40 games this year and over half of them will be won by King Felix. Yes, as a Mariner's fan I expect my team to be absolute feces in the most epic example of fail this year, this team has no hope of competing with AAA teams, much less Major League teams
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4354450 said:

The Seattle Mariners will win less than 40 games this year and over half of them will be won by King Felix.

BITE. YOUR. TONGUE! That's flat-out not possible. Do you really see every freaking hitter (except Ichiro) in the lineup OPS'ing in the .500's again? Every one with BABIP's in the low .200s? EVERY single one? Because that's what it took last year for the 61-101 season. Your darkened words are a vast, vast overstatement as well. The club is greatly improved over last year (are you telling me you think Erik Bedard and Michael Pineda will suck as much as Ryan Rowland-Smith and Ian Snell did last year?) and last year's team never should have lost 101 games. 85 games, sure, 90, probably, but they were never as bad as 61-101.

King Felix with the opening day CG win tonight. First in club history!
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    I am deeply concerned that Don Mattingly seems to be under the same deluded impression that Jonathan Broxton is a reliable closer that Joe Torre was. He's gotten lucky twice so far but every time he sends Broxton in and the Dodgers don't have an at least a five run lead he's pushing his luck.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited April 2011

The Seattle Mariners will win less than 40 games this year and over half of them will be won by King Felix. Yes, as a Mariner's fan I expect my team to be absolute feces in the most epic example of fail this year, this team has no hope of competing with AAA teams, much less Major League teams

So... the Mariners are going to break the '62 Mets record of most losses in a season? As a Mets fan, I sure hope not.
    edited April 2011
    If I went with everyone's favorites then it would be just like the ESPN picks where all of their reporters give the Red Sox the title just because they're from Boston.

i picked the sawks because last year they won 89 games in the toughest division in baseball while playing without pedroia and youk for big chunks of the season. now throw gonzo and crawford into that team with everyone being healthy. that's why they're the favorite lol. hell this team could be from seattle and it would be the favorite
    edited April 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4355303 said:
    So... the Mariners are going to break the '62 Mets record of most losses in a season? As a Mets fan, I sure hope not.

I thought the tigers broke that record.
    Nope nevermind....43 wins in 03,lol.
    edited April 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4355049 said:
    BITE. YOUR. TONGUE! That's flat-out not possible. Do you really see every freaking hitter (except Ichiro) in the lineup OPS'ing in the .500's again? Every one with BABIP's in the low .200s? EVERY single one? Because that's what it took last year for the 61-101 season.
    I see some combo of this plus injuries. Until I see all of the other hitters hit close to as consistent as Ichiro I will stand by this statement, even if it seems ludicris to others.
    Your darkened words are a vast, vast overstatement as well. The club is greatly improved over last year (are you telling me you think Erik Bedard and Michael Pineda will suck as much as Ryan Rowland-Smith and Ian Snell did last year?) and last year's team never should have lost 101 games. 85 games, sure, 90, probably, but they were never as bad as 61-101.
    Last Year's team had Cliff Lee on the pitching staff. Plus as a Mariners fan I've come to expect Bedard to be on the IR for the rest of the season by Memorial day ;)
    King Felix with the opening day CG win tonight. First in club history!

King Felix is the best pitcher in baseball at the moment, too bad the Mariners didn't draft Lincicum when they had the chance a few years back. If they did that, I'd expect this team to win more than 40 to say the least.:) Will eat crow when they get to 41 wins :p
    edited April 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4355303 said:
    As a Mariners fan I sure hope not either but the fact is that Felix Hernandez and Ichiro are the only major League caliber players on the Mariners at the moment. Plus, now by predicting them to be the worst of all time, anything better than that will be performing beyond my expectations. :P
    edited April 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4355349 said:
    that's why they're the favorite lol. hell this team could be from seattle and it would be the favorite

If they were in Seattle, none of the players acquired by any means outside the farm system would be on the roster since Free Agents avoid Seattle like the plague.

Yeah, I'm aware of the triple posts here
    edited April 2011
    the mariners will win at least 55 games. one of the surest things in baseball is that teams win 55 games and lose 55 games. except for crazy anomalies like the '03 tigers, '04 d'backs and those '62 mets.
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4355603 said:
    Last Year's team had Cliff Lee on the pitching staff. Plus as a Mariners fan I've come to expect Bedard to be on the IR for the rest of the season by Memorial day ;)
    For about two months. And Bedard's throwing well and healthy, for the first time...well, since he's ever been a Mariner. I'm choosing to be optimistic that it will continue.
    darkwinterbeast8;4355603 said:
    Will eat crow when they get to 41 wins :p

Crow souffle it is :D
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4355606 said:
    As a Mariners fan I sure hope not either but the fact is that Felix Hernandez and Ichiro are the only major League caliber players on the Mariners at the moment.

Okay, you've got to just be being intentionally morose for the sake of being morose or something. Because that's so ridiculously not anywhere close to being true. And yet you seem to believe it.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited April 2011
    This is what I get for drafting a dirty dirty Red Sock. John Lackey violently crapping the bed. I'm gonna have to get rid of him, I can't have this "sort of rooting for the Red Sox" feelings going on.
    edited April 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4355664 said:
    the mariners will win at least 55 games.

I'd say add 10 to that as a worst-case scenario. I'm not saying they'll win the West - frankly, anything above the cellar would be a surprise - but to believe what I'm reading in this thread Felix will again win in the low teens and the team will never win any other game. I mean, come on. That's just ridiculous.
    edited April 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4355722 said:
    Okay, you've got to just be being intentionally morose for the sake of being morose or something. Because that's so ridiculously not anywhere close to being true. And yet you seem to believe it.

Majority of the Roster filled with older players that wouldn't be on MLB Rosters if not for the M's, Fringe Talent that will teater between the Majors and AAA, Brittle players that keep getting hurt, and Basket Cases like Milton Bradley (who should be locked up in a mental hospital or at the very least in counciling every day of the week for his issues). And there is the role player that gets over paid and does very little to justify the contact (Figgins would be exhibit A).
    SheSaidSheSaid;4355724 said:
    I'd say add 10 to that as a worst-case scenario. I'm not saying they'll win the West - frankly, anything above the cellar would be a surprise - but to believe what I'm reading in this thread Felix will again win in the low teens and the team will never win any other game. I mean, come on. That's just ridiculous.
    Felix will win around 20 games...

The rest of the staff might not get to the low teens what with injuries and such.

On the plus side, 38 more wins until my crow soufflet...

...assuming they win that much. :p
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4355889 said:
    Majority of the Roster filled with older players that wouldn't be on MLB Rosters if not for the M's, Fringe Talent that will teater between the Majors and AAA, Brittle players that keep getting hurt, and Basket Cases like Milton Bradley (who should be locked up in a mental hospital or at the very least in counciling every day of the week for his issues). And there is the role player that gets over paid and does very little to justify the contact (Figgins would be exhibit A).

That's not exactly what you said in the first place...

But hey, at this rate, 2 down 160 to go :D So keep it up
    edited April 2011
    The Mariners lost,the first of a long string of 1 win out of every 5 games at best (on the games Felix pitches).
    edited April 2011
    Are you really a Texas fan in disguise?

Or just trying to rile me up? :p