2011(and beyond!) MLB thread.

Comments

• clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4354450 said:

As for my ballsiest pick...

The Seattle Mariners will win less than 40 games this year and over half of them will be won by King Felix. Yes, as a Mariner's fan I expect my team to be absolute feces in the most epic example of fail this year, this team has no hope of competing with AAA teams, much less Major League teams

So... the Mariners are going to break the '62 Mets record of most losses in a season? As a Mets fan, I sure hope not.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4354450 said:
    If I went with everyone's favorites then it would be just like the ESPN picks where all of their reporters give the Red Sox the title just because they're from Boston.

i picked the sawks because last year they won 89 games in the toughest division in baseball while playing without pedroia and youk for big chunks of the season. now throw gonzo and crawford into that team with everyone being healthy. that's why they're the favorite lol. hell this team could be from seattle and it would be the favorite
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4355303 said:
    So... the Mariners are going to break the '62 Mets record of most losses in a season? As a Mets fan, I sure hope not.

I thought the tigers broke that record.
    Nope nevermind....43 wins in 03,lol.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited April 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4355049 said:
    BITE. YOUR. TONGUE! That's flat-out not possible. Do you really see every freaking hitter (except Ichiro) in the lineup OPS'ing in the .500's again? Every one with BABIP's in the low .200s? EVERY single one? Because that's what it took last year for the 61-101 season.
    I see some combo of this plus injuries. Until I see all of the other hitters hit close to as consistent as Ichiro I will stand by this statement, even if it seems ludicris to others.
    Your darkened words are a vast, vast overstatement as well. The club is greatly improved over last year (are you telling me you think Erik Bedard and Michael Pineda will suck as much as Ryan Rowland-Smith and Ian Snell did last year?) and last year's team never should have lost 101 games. 85 games, sure, 90, probably, but they were never as bad as 61-101.
    Last Year's team had Cliff Lee on the pitching staff. Plus as a Mariners fan I've come to expect Bedard to be on the IR for the rest of the season by Memorial day ;)
    King Felix with the opening day CG win tonight. First in club history!

King Felix is the best pitcher in baseball at the moment, too bad the Mariners didn't draft Lincicum when they had the chance a few years back. If they did that, I'd expect this team to win more than 40 to say the least.:) Will eat crow when they get to 41 wins :p
    edited April 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4355303 said:
    As a Mariners fan I sure hope not either but the fact is that Felix Hernandez and Ichiro are the only major League caliber players on the Mariners at the moment. Plus, now by predicting them to be the worst of all time, anything better than that will be performing beyond my expectations. :P
    edited April 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4355349 said:
    that's why they're the favorite lol. hell this team could be from seattle and it would be the favorite

If they were in Seattle, none of the players acquired by any means outside the farm system would be on the roster since Free Agents avoid Seattle like the plague.

Yeah, I'm aware of the triple posts here
    edited April 2011
    the mariners will win at least 55 games. one of the surest things in baseball is that teams win 55 games and lose 55 games. except for crazy anomalies like the '03 tigers, '04 d'backs and those '62 mets.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4355603 said:
    Last Year's team had Cliff Lee on the pitching staff. Plus as a Mariners fan I've come to expect Bedard to be on the IR for the rest of the season by Memorial day ;)
    For about two months. And Bedard's throwing well and healthy, for the first time...well, since he's ever been a Mariner. I'm choosing to be optimistic that it will continue.
    darkwinterbeast8;4355603 said:
    Will eat crow when they get to 41 wins :p

Crow souffle it is :D
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4355606 said:
    As a Mariners fan I sure hope not either but the fact is that Felix Hernandez and Ichiro are the only major League caliber players on the Mariners at the moment.

Okay, you've got to just be being intentionally morose for the sake of being morose or something. Because that's so ridiculously not anywhere close to being true. And yet you seem to believe it.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited April 2011
    This is what I get for drafting a dirty dirty Red Sock. John Lackey violently crapping the bed. I'm gonna have to get rid of him, I can't have this "sort of rooting for the Red Sox" feelings going on.
    edited April 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4355664 said:
    the mariners will win at least 55 games.

I'd say add 10 to that as a worst-case scenario. I'm not saying they'll win the West - frankly, anything above the cellar would be a surprise - but to believe what I'm reading in this thread Felix will again win in the low teens and the team will never win any other game. I mean, come on. That's just ridiculous.
    edited April 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4355722 said:
    Okay, you've got to just be being intentionally morose for the sake of being morose or something. Because that's so ridiculously not anywhere close to being true. And yet you seem to believe it.

Majority of the Roster filled with older players that wouldn't be on MLB Rosters if not for the M's, Fringe Talent that will teater between the Majors and AAA, Brittle players that keep getting hurt, and Basket Cases like Milton Bradley (who should be locked up in a mental hospital or at the very least in counciling every day of the week for his issues). And there is the role player that gets over paid and does very little to justify the contact (Figgins would be exhibit A).
    SheSaidSheSaid;4355724 said:
    I'd say add 10 to that as a worst-case scenario. I'm not saying they'll win the West - frankly, anything above the cellar would be a surprise - but to believe what I'm reading in this thread Felix will again win in the low teens and the team will never win any other game. I mean, come on. That's just ridiculous.
    Felix will win around 20 games...

The rest of the staff might not get to the low teens what with injuries and such.

On the plus side, 38 more wins until my crow soufflet...

...assuming they win that much. :p
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4355889 said:
    Majority of the Roster filled with older players that wouldn't be on MLB Rosters if not for the M's, Fringe Talent that will teater between the Majors and AAA, Brittle players that keep getting hurt, and Basket Cases like Milton Bradley (who should be locked up in a mental hospital or at the very least in counciling every day of the week for his issues). And there is the role player that gets over paid and does very little to justify the contact (Figgins would be exhibit A).

That's not exactly what you said in the first place...

But hey, at this rate, 2 down 160 to go :D So keep it up
    edited April 2011
    The Mariners lost,the first of a long string of 1 win out of every 5 games at best (on the games Felix pitches).
    edited April 2011
    Are you really a Texas fan in disguise?

Or just trying to rile me up? :p
    edited April 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4356663 said:
    Are you really a Texas fan in disguise?

Or just trying to rile me up? :p
    No and No.

Just a Mariners fan that is also a skeptic.
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited April 2011
    ****ing javy vazquez... i feel like jglaub.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    *cues evil laughter

Like I should be talking, this is probably the only time the Mets will be above .500 all year. :p
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4356668 said:
    No and No.

Just a Mariners fan that is also a wild pessimist.

Fix'd.
    edited April 2011
    darkwinterbeast8;4356668 said:

Just a Mariners fan that is also a wild pessimist.
    SheSaidSheSaid;4356846 said:
    Fix'd.

yeah i agree with what shesaid. you are pretty over the top on the negativity about the mariners. a ****ing pirate fan is more optimistic than you lol.
    edited April 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4356845 said:
    *cues evil laughter

Like I should be talking, this is probably the only time the Mets will be above .500 all year. :p

Shh, I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Besides, the Mets have had an alright first half for most of the past few years. It's not until after the All-Star break that the team sucks.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited April 2011
    bermuddy;4356787 said:
    i feel like jglaub.

You'll get used to that third nipple eventually.

Wanna make a trade involving you getting John Lackey? (you're a Red Sox fan, right?)

Alex Rodriguez gives me confusing feelings in my pants.
    edited April 2011
    Jglaubman;4357083 said:
    You'll get used to that third nipple eventually.

Wanna make a trade involving you getting John Lackey? (you're a Red Sox fan, right?)

Alex Rodriguez gives me confusing feelings in my pants.
    I believe muddy's a Marlins fan.

Last years RB fantasy league, we had pretty much the entire NL East covered (minus the Phillies I think?) as far as fans go.
    edited April 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4357079 said:
    Shh, I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Besides, the Mets have had an alright first half for most of the past few years. It's not until after the All-Star break that the team sucks.

Haha, that's true.

But who knows? If Wright, Reyes, Beltran, and Bay can stay healthy most of the year, the Mets could be a legitimate force in the East. We'll really get a good barometer on where the Mets stand with this upcoming series with the Phillies.
    edited April 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4356868 said:
    yeah i agree with what shesaid. you are pretty over the top on the negativity about the mariners. a ****ing pirate fan is more optimistic than you lol.
    Pirates fans at least have the Penguins and Steelers to root for when the Pirates are out of the running, plus they're in a division with the Cubs. Always a chance to avoid the cellar with that team in your division. ;)
    edited April 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4357195 said:
    Haha, that's true.

But who knows? If Wright, Reyes, Beltran, and Bay can stay healthy most of the year, the Mets could be a legitimate force in the East. We'll really get a good barometer on where the Mets stand with this upcoming series with the Phillies.
    Yeah, that's fair. I'm not expecting a playoff run from this team, but I don't expect them to be the cellar dwellers that it seems most people have them out to be. A third-place finish in the East and a record even slightly above .500 and I'm content.
    darkwinterbeast8;4357216 said:
    Pirates fans at least have the Penguins and Steelers to root for when the Pirates are out of the running, plus they're in a division with the Cubs. Always a chance to avoid the cellar with that team in your division. ;)

Yeah, I think the Pirates should lobby the league to play 162 games against the Cubs. They do really well against them. Shame about the Pirates playing every other team.
    edited April 2011
    nelson cruz is a god amongst insects. a homer in each of the first four games. ties a record set by willie mays and mark mcgwire.
    edited April 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4357287 said:
    nelson cruz is a god amongst insects. a homer in each of the first four games. ties a record set by willie mays and andro.

Mmm hmm....

And it's like this: I root for two teams - the Mariners, and whoever's playing Texas. So I certainly hope that they can take at least one :(
    edited April 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4357323 said:
    Mmm hmm....

And it's like this: I root for two teams - the Mariners, and whoever's playing Texas. So I certainly hope that they can take at least one :(
    Would be sweet plus they do have King Felix pitching against Texas for the final game of the series (Unless I'm wrong about this).
    edited April 2011
    Yeah...in an afternoon game that no one'll see. Yawn. Hoping for good things from Pineda tomorrow night, but I won't be surprised if they torch him, frankly.