2011(and beyond!) MLB thread.

ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
edited December 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
baseball is back upon us. tim for us all to gather round and talk **** about our teams. mine being the white sox, i feel pretty good about this coming season. playoff aspirations are awakened!

discuss, *****es!!

Comments

• DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited February 2011
    I look for my Mariners to be maybe 5 degrees hotter than last year (61 wins)

So, maybe 65 wins.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited February 2011
    I'd be absolutely shocked if the Mets win 60 games this year...

Also, Pujols a free agent next year?
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited February 2011
    i dont think the mets will lose 100 games. theyre not that bad, but they may have to trade reyes!
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited February 2011
    the mets won't lose that many games. they'll get in the 70 wins range. i think they should trade reyes. incredibly dynamic player but never healthy.
    edited February 2011
    it's a contract year too. depending on how the madoff/wilpon case goes they may have to trade him.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited February 2011
    Tigers Fan here....we could be good...or not. Its really hard to tell anymore,lol.
    edited February 2011
    then i would for sure trade him. get some talent in the farm system. just hope he starts out hot. who needs a SS that can take a risk?
    edited February 2011
    i'd trade him to the yankees!, but srsly, the Giants, Tigers, Angels, Reds, and Padres.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited February 2011
    Jglaubman;4301593 said:
    I think the Red Sox have a decent chance at losing to the Phillies in the World Series. I'm hoping it's the Yankees that lose to them in the World Series, though.

I like this scenario. I'll take the other way around as well. But Sox pitching is questionable compared to the Phillies (but then again, who's isn't?).
    edited February 2011
    If the Mets trade Reyes, they are also trading the spark to their offense. He's one of those players that, when healthy, is nearly impossible to replace.

As we Met fans have witnessed the past couple of years.
    edited February 2011
    it's not a matter of whether or not teh mets want hi,. because i'm sure they do. but the wilpons may be on the hook for somethign like a billion dollars.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4301673 said:
    I'd be absolutely shocked if the Mets win 60 games this year...

C'mon, we're not that bad...

I'm just hoping Bay hits better than last year and that some of these pitchers we took a risk on signing prove to be serviceable.
    edited February 2011
    yeah i dont think the mets are quite that bad either but they will finish a distant 4th or 5th(not outta the question). they need johan back asap.

rickie weeks got paid! signed an extension for 4 years, $38.5 milli! an option for a 5th year could bump it to $50 million.
    edited February 2011
    The Mets rotation is in shambles. Santana can only do so much this year coming off an injury, Pelf and Dickey would both have to have another good season and Neise would have to stay healthy to stay in the rotation, plus the few new guys they got which I'm not really sure how'd they fit in yet like Buchholtz, Capuano, and Young who is always hurt.

The bullpen, I don't even know where to start. I guess they'll throw Ollie back in the pen as a lefty and Mejia as the setup man, K-Rod as the closer. Mejia could even be a starter if they need one, but he's got to work on his control. The rest of the BP I guess would just fall into place.

Their lineup looks decent on paper with Reyes back at the top coming back from an injury season along with Murphy who the Mets really missed last year. Don't know where he'll play now with Ike Davis playing first mostly last year, maybe they'll platoon them even though they are both lefties. Bay, Beltran, and Wright would anchor the meat of the lineup, Bay must have a good year this year, he was a huge disappointment last year. The rest would be Castillo, Pagan/Hairston, and the new catcher Paulino. I mean, their offense should be alright as long as everyone stays healthy which is a long shot. Their pitching is what worries me the most.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4302247 said:
    K-Rod as the closer.

Isn't he in jail?
    edited February 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4302247 said:
    The Mets rotation is in shambles. Santana can only do so much this year coming off an injury, Pelf and Dickey would both have to have another good season and Neise would have to stay healthy to stay in the rotation, plus the few new guys they got which I'm not really sure how'd they fit in yet like Buchholtz, Capuano, and Young who is always hurt.

The bullpen, I don't even know where to start. I guess they'll throw Ollie back in the pen as a lefty and Mejia as the setup man, K-Rod as the closer. Mejia could even be a starter if they need one, but he's got to work on his control. The rest of the BP I guess would just fall into place.

Their lineup looks decent on paper with Reyes back at the top coming back from an injury season along with Murphy who the Mets really missed last year. Don't know where he'll play now with Ike Davis playing first mostly last year, maybe they'll platoon them even though they are both lefties. Bay, Beltran, and Wright would anchor the meat of the lineup, Bay must have a good year this year, he was a huge disappointment last year. The rest would be Castillo, Pagan/Hairston, and the new catcher Paulino. I mean, their offense should be alright as long as everyone stays healthy which is a long shot. Their pitching is what worries me the most.

I wouldn't exactly call the rotation "in shambles" - Pelfrey, Niese (when healthy), and Dickey all had good seasons last year and I have no reason to doubt they can't repeat their successes, and once Santana comes back, you know he will pitch well, it's just a matter of whether he'll get any run support. While I agree that Capuano, Buchholz, and Young are question marks, they're all fairly low risk ventures for the Mets. If they all are awful, they're gone after this year. To be honest, I think the biggest problem is the bullpen for this team, and that was a problem for the Mets even in '06. We lost all of the guys that were fairly reliable in Feliciano, Takahashi, and Nieve (at least until he was overused). Maybe hold what amounts to basically year-long tryouts for a lot of the young guys in the bullpen and see if some of them have it for the long haul.

As for the offense, I want to see:
    C - Thole
    1B - Davis
    2B - Murphy (why not? it wouldn't be the first time he's shifted positions, and he was playing it during rehab last year)
    3B - Wright
    SS - Reyes
    LF - Bay
    CF - Beltran/Pagan (whoever fields better in Spring Training)
    RF - Beltran/Pagan (whoever fields worse)
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited February 2011
    bmaninc;4301553 said:
    Carl Crawford OF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    Adrian Gonzalez 1B
    Kevin Youkilis 3B
    David Ortiz DH
    JD Drew OF
    Jared Saltalamacchia C
    Jed Lowrie SS
    Jacoby Ellsbury OF

Jon Lester
    Clay Buchholz
    Josh Beckett
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    John lackey

Hideki Okajima
    Daniel Bard
    Jonathon Papelbon
    Bobby Jenks
    Dan Wheeler
    Tim Wakefield
    Junichi Tazawa

Jason Varitek C
    Marco Scutaro IF
    Mike Cameron OF
    Daniel Nava OF
    Ryan Kalish OF

I like our chances.

perfect post.

(glad we have an MLB thread agian, thanks spidey)

besides the Sox, it looks like right now the top 3 stories in spring training are:

1) Sir Albert
    2) How bad will the Mets be?
    3) Joba's waistline
    edited February 2011
    Dante1847;4302871 said:
    besides the Sox, it looks like right now the top 3 stories in spring training are:

2) How bad will the Mets be?

Thing is, I don't hear anyone talking about the Mets on-field. All I hear about involves the lawsuit and the Wilpons trying to sell a stake in the team, which I'd like to think won't have any impact on the team's performance this year, but who knows.
    edited February 2011
    well yeah, I added some hyperbole in my post, but on a more serious note, from everything Ive read and/or heard (especially from Mets fans), the whole lawsuit is a HUGE distraction and, given their offseason (or lack thereof), there is nothing but pessimism for this team.
    edited February 2011
    And Miggy Cabrera was arrested for DUI and non-violently resisting arrest. Hooray Detroit!
    edited February 2011
    nice. so he'll get a slap on the wrist then. won't mean ****, unless Roger Goodell decides to start administering baseball too.
    edited February 2011
    The average Mets fan had gotten too optimistic recently anyways, the pendulum of optimism-pessimism is just swinging in the opposite (and proper) direction.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited February 2011
    No hope as a baseball fan for my team is the Seattle Mariners and the team I watch when the Mariners are out of it (which will be 3rd week in April) is the Milwaukee Brewers (who are close to as dreadful as the Mariners save for the Klements Sausage Race).

Needless to say, I want to see Football cometo a new CBA so I have a sport to look forward to after March Madness.
    edited February 2011
    clashcityrocker10;4302908 said:
    The average Mets fan had gotten too optimistic recently anyways, the pendulum of optimism-pessimism is just swinging in the opposite (and proper) direction.

hit it on the head with "proper". yeah, Mets fans always seemed (seem?) to have a disproportionate amount of hope for their team, given their roster. finally their expectations seem to align with how good the team will be.

another team Im not sold on is the Brewers, and I swear Im not basing this on their history. EVERYYONE seems to be saying they're gonna be good, if not definite playoff contender. I still don't see it.
    edited February 2011
    Dante1847;4302911 said:
    another team I'm not sold on is the Brewers, and I swear I'm not basing this on their history. EVERYYONE seems to be saying they're gonna be good, if not definite playoff contender. I still don't see it.
    I live about an hour away from Milwaukee and everyone here says the Brewers are going to be mediocre to bad this season, even with the addition of Grehnke. On top of that, most people will say the Cards or Cubs will win the NL Central. (I dispute the Cubs predictions but still)
    edited February 2011
    the brewers have very good team and winning the central isnt out the question. i dont think the reds repeat and the cards have their own set of inhouse issues.
    edited February 2011
    bermuddy;4302923 said:
    the brewers have very good team and winning the central isnt out the question. i dont think the reds repeat and the cards have their own set of inhouse issues.
    If the Brewers win the NL Central, they're winning with a 79-83 record unless they land CC Sabbathia before the trade deadline like they did a few years ago.
    edited February 2011
    I can see the Brewers winning the Central, but only by virtue of how bad the other Central teams are. My thinking is that people are giving them a lot of hope because of the last series. ****, who expects a WS winner coming from the NL West?

But it was done, so now everyones looking for this year's Giants, and they fall on the Brewers because of their offseason. Again, I see them falling well short of the expectations.
    edited February 2011
    Dante1847;4302911 said:
    hit it on the head with "proper". yeah, Mets fans always seemed (seem?) to have a disproportionate amount of hope for their team, given their roster. finally their expectations seem to align with how good the team will be.

another team Im not sold on is the Brewers, and I swear Im not basing this on their history. EVERYYONE seems to be saying they're gonna be good, if not definite playoff contender. I still don't see it.

Precisely, and besides, it's the Mets. Teams I root for haven't been consistently good ever in my life.

I agree with you to an extent on the Brewers. They're not as good as they are made out to be (I don't think Greinke is all that good, and people are overvaluing Marcum), but I think they can compete in a fairly weak NL Central. Even if they happen to win that division, they won't make it far in the playoffs.
    edited February 2011
    Dante1847;4302928 said:
    I can see the Brewers winning the Central, but only by virtue of how bad the other Central teams are. My thinking is that people are giving them a lot of hope because of the last series. ****, who expects a WS winner coming from the NL West?

But it was done, so now everyones looking for this year's Giants, and they fall on the Brewers because of their offseason. Again, I see them falling well short of the expectations.
    "This year's Giants" will most likely come from the NL or AL West, which is every team there BUT the Mariners. I see the Seattle Mariners going for the All-time worst record in baseball history this year.