2011(and beyond!) MLB thread.

Comments

• Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    And... it's official! Verlander no hits the Blue Jays for the second no-no of the year.

Didn't he throw one last year too?
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited May 2011
    everyone and their grandma tossed a no-no last year but not verlander lol. i think he threw his a year or two after his rookie year.

stop the presses. gordon beckham is 3/3 tonight. possible sign of the apocalypse right there.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    Wedge rode Fister way too long. No way he should have gone out for the sixth. He had nothing tonight.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited May 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4389322 said:
    Wedge rode Fister way too long.

Oh man...
    edited May 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4389322 said:
    Wedge rode Fister way too long.
    Jglaubman;4389356 said:
    Oh man...
    hahahaha
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited May 2011
    I wonder if we're going to start getting some perfect games again this year. I'll just take a Mets no-hitter, though.
    edited May 2011
    Jglaubman;4389356 said:
    Oh man...

Oh come on, get your mind of the gutter.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited May 2011
    Sloppy performance by Fister today (could be said today)

Fister really punched one in there (could be said after a particularly crisp fastball)

Fister got the best of Pujols (if he strikes him out)

Here comes Fister to stretch (pre-game rituals)

Fister caused a grown man to scream in pain and bleed today (could be said he if hit someone really hard in the head and the guy was bleeding... that one might be a stretch)
    edited May 2011
    Boy, you would have had a field day when Rob Johnson was Fister's catcher.

Those jokes never got old.....
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    Verlander is a beast!!! love that he's on my team.
    edited May 2011
    terrific pitching matchup tonight in miami with josh johnson v. roy halladay. if more than 4 total runs are scored, i will be surprised.

and after the sox's 8-0 thumping of the angels, i hope this little stretch they are on is the beginning of the turning point.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited May 2011
    M's designate headcase Milton Bradley for Assignment... (Meaining he's no longer on their roster)
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, saw that yesterday. I wonder if any team is willing to pick him up. Otherwise, I see him playing with the Canseco brothers on that independent league team they're playing for.
    edited May 2011
    what a disaster of a signing that was for the cubs. i wonder if another GM will be stupid enough to give him more money.

speaking of the m's, they aren't looking half bad.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited May 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4391481 said:
    speaking of the m's, they aren't looking half bad.

Definitely exceeding my expectations thus far (though I expected the worst from them :p ). It's May and yet they're not out of the divisional race.

Brewers on the other hand are who I thought they were.
    edited May 2011
    I'm really loving how MLB.com gets highlights from games up practically immediately this year.
    edited May 2011
    im not about to give up on the brew crew. they finally got greinke back and he pitched really well in his second outing. and marcum has been pretty damm good himself. now if they can right gallardo's ship, they will have a very nice 1-3.

yeah the mlb.tv package is really nice as well for highlights and all that.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited May 2011
    gee, how long will it take the Sox to reach .500? nice to see the phenom Iglesias up, but cmon!
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited May 2011
    Fister? i don't even know her!
    edited May 2011
    It really sucks that Ike Davis went on the DL.

Also, what's up with Ubaldo this year? Except his ERA, of course.

More importantly than either of these two points, though: Carlos Beltran. Discuss.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    For any Mets fan, it's a beautiful site to see Carlos Beltran hitting like this again especially after his struggles and injuries these past few years. 3 HR's, 6 RBI's... that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the organization decides to do with him. I'd kinda like to see him re-signed after this season (especially if he keeps playing like this), but I don't know if they really consider that an option.
    edited May 2011
    yeah huge game by beltran. that the first 3 homer game this season? i think it is.

it is great to see his resurgence but i would ask, are the mets contenders in the near future? if not, i would trade him off to get some prospects and help to rebuild the team. ship him out to a contender and get some pitching and maybe some OF help.

zach britton continues to impress me. kid can pitch.
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, trading him around the deadline is the only other thing I'd be okay with the Mets doing. Letting him walk after this year would be a complete waste.

As for what they could get for him in a trade, I would say it has to be pitching, pitching, pitching. I'd say the only two constants of the rotation have been injuries and inconsistency (and yes, I do realize I just said inconsistency was a constant). Santana has pitched consistently great for this team (although seriously lacks run support), but even he has fallen victim to the injury bug over the past few years. It's alright if they just get an above average innings-eater for Beltran, so long as he's dependable.

Maybe a middle infielder, too. Reyes is great (and playing like at that level again this year), but all of the backup shortstops would be converted second basemen. Speaking of the second basemen on the team, I'm not very confident in any of them. Murphy and Turner have shown they can at least be your average second basemen offensively, but both still need to learn a lot on the defense side. I'm still not sure why Chin-Lung Hu has a roster spot. Fine, he's probably the best defensive second baseman on the team, but he clearly cannot hit Major League pitching, and it's a liability on a team with very few right-handed bats off the bench.

The outfield, meanwhile, is actually one of the Mets' strengths, at least in terms of job security. I know Bay has not produced anywhere near the expectations, but like it or not, he's the left fielder for at least the next two years. If Pagan plays like he did last year, he's the center fielder for quite a few years to come, this guy Pridie looks like a pretty good fourth outfielder to have on the bench, and if Beltran does have to leave, the team has some prospects such as Fernando Martinez and Kirk Nieuwenhuis that have some potential.

tl:dr - Mets fan analyzes different parts of the team, and a trade for Beltran best include pitching and maybe a middle infielder
    edited May 2011
    yes very true on the rotation bit. they need help there. they really need santana to come back healthy and be that ace.

as for the middle infielder issue, from what i know of the mets farm system, their best position prospect happens to be a short stop. im not sure how long reyes is signed through but, if it's for quite a few years, they should think about moving that kid to 2B.

martinez has been recalled just today i think. he needs to shake off the bust label that is following him around. he's still very young but last year he struggled in AAA. we'll see how it goes.
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, they recalled Martinez today to take Ike's roster spot for the time he's on the DL. Very weird move, considering how many outfielders they have on the team right now, and the lack of corner infielders they have. I mean, giving David Wright the day off today and with Davis injured, the starting infield was:

1B - Daniel Murphy
    2B - Justin Turner
    3B - Willie Harris
    SS - Jose Reyes

For the 9th, they moved Turner to 3rd and put Hu in at 2nd.
    edited May 2011
    wow that is ****ty.

oh wilmer flores is the kids name at SS. mlb.com has him as the 6th best SS prospect out there. reyes im pretty sure is in a walk year. possible for him to get traded too?
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    Tigers are on a roll.Hope they can keep it up.
    edited May 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4393417 said:
    wow that is ****ty.

oh wilmer flores is the kids name at SS. mlb.com has him as the 6th best SS prospect out there. reyes im pretty sure is in a walk year. possible for him to get traded too?

I think I've heard of Flores, but I think most of the talk I've heard about him is that he's still a few years away. Yeah, Reyes is in a walk year, and there has been discussion in the media of the Mets trading him. Some reports also surfaced that the Giants (while they were in town) have had internal discussions about making an offer for Reyes. I guess I could see the advantages in trading Reyes, since he will probably be up for a significant pay raise (he has a very team-friendly contract right now), but trading him as a means of dismantling the current team and starting over again is foolish, if you ask me. I think people tend to forget the guy is only going to be 28 at the end of this season. He's still got his best years ahead of him, I think, and he could be a person to build around. This becomes even more the case when you look at how the team has done when Reyes is playing and productive. More so than any other player on the team, as Reyes goes, so goes the rest of the Mets.
    edited May 2011
    he'll turn 20 this year. so yeah maybe he's a couple years away.

as for reyes, with the ownerships money issues still in the air, i can't see them being able to resign him. as you said, he's up for a big pay hike. and the better he keeps on playing this season is even more $$$ added to his next contract.