2011(and beyond!) MLB thread.

Comments

  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Never a big fan of the Sawx/Yankees series. Couldn't stand the "Woe Is Me" whinning the Sawx Fans did back in the day.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    yeah imagine that over here but with cubs fans.

    down goes pineda, down goes king felix! nice job sox. watch them lose tonight to the immortal jason vargas lol.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4416152 said:
    yeah imagine that over here but with cubs fans.

    down goes pineda, down goes king felix! nice job sox. watch them lose tonight to the immortal jason vargas lol.
    Sort of...

    They lost in Extra Innings due to bad fielding.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    God it felt good to see a win in that joke of a stadium (sorry White Sox fans, but...aw come on, you know it's true). I had bad flashbacks to Yuniesky Betancourt ending Endy Chavez's Mariner career when I saw that 10th inning popup to left.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    joke of a stadium? ha!
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    Olivo's home run last night would have been a shallow flyout in Safeco, or a dozen other parks
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited June 2011
    marlins lose again. 7 in a row. gaby sanchez got robbed by the ump in the bottom of the tenth to end the game
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    and that's your reasoning? ahahaha. you're probably right, it would've been a flyout in safeco because its one of the most pitcher friendly parks in the majors. the exact opposite of US cellular field. the ball flies out of the cell. especially on 95 degree days when its humid as ****.

    the marling need josh johnson back. and so do i. my fantasy teams are naked without him.
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited June 2011
    we got a new hitting coach. Baseball Tonight's own Eduardo Perez!
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    yeah i saw that. the rangers fired their hitting coach too. kinsler needs to see that dude asap. i need him to be that keeper player that i know he can be.
  • bermuddybermuddy 100.000 Wasted Years
    edited June 2011
    haha that trade you and i made didnt really work out for either of us.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    well i got ethier. he had that long hitting streak during the beginning of the season but he's not providing power.

    of all the players i traded away from that team(a-rod, CarGo, dunn, posey) none of them are really coming back to bite me in the ass.
  • edited June 2011
    Finally the Marlins wins. Ian Kennedy vs. Javier Vazquez tonight. No Leo Nunez until Monday.

    Well at least Javier has been better as of late. Go Marlins.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    man it sure has been fun reading Sox box scores lately
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    What does everyone think about this talk of realignment? I don't think it will happen, but I dislike it, nonetheless. It's still better than the very flawed proposal Jim Bowden presented on ESPN's website.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    Mets and Yankees in the same division? Hell no.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    yeah the jim bowden plan is far too radical of a change. im not too big a fan of the additional wildcard spots. i think the playoffs are damm near perfect now with just 8 teams advancing. bowden's proposal to increase the number to 12 would dilute the grind of the regular season. and his realignment seems to put almost all the power teams in the american "conference".

    i'd rather go with buck showalter's plan of two leagues, no divisions.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Besides that, he seems to forget that any format involving 6 teams from a league/conference would need to include a bye for some teams, while the 8-team NHL/NBA format doesn't, as he claims. Unless, of course, he advocates a round robin for part of the playoffs, which isn't suggested at all.
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    My idea has always been:

    1. Keep the playoff system as it is. But say champagne is only appropriate at three distinct points 1) clinching the division 2) going to the world series 3) winning the world series

    2. Move the Astros to the NL west and move the Diamondbacks to the AL west.

    Not that I would expect anyone to take it seriously. :p
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    They're saying the Astros would move to the AL West to make it an even 15 teams in each league. I agree with that, but I don't like how they might wipe out divisions. That'll ruin the cache of those pivotal divisional playoff races during the end of the regular season that we all know and love.

    I also think it'll be great if they have constant interleague play. That'll be great for the league and the fans. Getting to see teams you'd normally never see play and create more interleague rivalries. I doubt it'll happen though.
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    My idea is better because Astros and Rangers in the same league would be just as lame as the Mets and Yankees in the same league. :p
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4422073 said:
    They're saying the Astros would move to the AL West to make it an even 15 teams in each league. I agree with that, but I don't like how they might wipe out divisions. That'll ruin the cache of those pivotal divisional playoff races during the end of the regular season that we all know and love.

    I also think it'll be great if they have constant interleague play. That'll be great for the league and the fans. Getting to see teams you'd normally never see play and create more interleague rivalries. I doubt it'll happen though.

    What I've been hearing isn't that Houston would be moved to the AL West, just the American League. MLB would scrap divisions within in each league, thereby just creating two 15-team leagues. The top 3 teams would gain automatic entry into the playoffs, while the teams with the 4th and 5th best records in each league would play a one-game playoff (or best-of-three series) for the last spot in the playoffs.

    I agree that seeing interleague play throughout the year would be cool, but I think TV stations and, to a lesser extent, the teams wouldn't go for it. Attendance and ratings do go up during interleague play, but a large part of that is because of how little interleague play occurs in the season. Having it throughout the year would diminish that effect quite a bit, even if it is just one series at any given point in the season.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    Justin Verlander has a legit chance at his second no hitter of the season. This kid is nuts.

    Right as i type that,Orlando Cabera gets a hit,lol.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Cubecubed;4422470 said:
    Justin Verlander has a legit chance at his second no hitter of the season. This kid is nuts.

    Nice.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2011
    Verlander's line tonight-2H, 0 ER,12 K.

    This guy is the best pitcher in the AL right now,or at least damn close. Give him the all-star start.

    Also....First Place!!!!
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    yeah i would agree with that. the only guy close to him right now is jered weaver.

    funny how taking one guy out of the lineup can comepletely change a team. travis hafner couldn't get back sooner for the indians. they have nose dived since he went on the DL. by this time next month, they will be in 3rd place behind the tigers and the sox.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    ultimatespidey81;4420993 said:
    yeah the jim bowden plan is far too radical of a change. im not too big a fan of the additional wildcard spots. i think the playoffs are damm near perfect now with just 8 teams advancing. bowden's proposal to increase the number to 12 would dilute the grind of the regular season. and his realignment seems to put almost all the power teams in the american "conference".

    i'd rather go with buck showalter's plan of two leagues, no divisions.

    Jim Bowden is an idiot. He was horrible as a GM, he's even worse as an ESPN "analyst". and his writing is terrible. dont know how this guy got a job
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Scott Kazmir got cut by the Angels. I remember when Mets fans were furious about trading him to the Rays.
  • ultimatespidey81ultimatespidey81 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    Dante1847;4422881 said:
    Jim Bowden is an idiot. He was horrible as a GM, he's even worse as an ESPN "analyst". and his writing is terrible. dont know how this guy got a job
    he must have pictures on someone over at espn.
    clashcityrocker10;4423320 said:
    Scott Kazmir got cut by the Angels. I remember when Mets fans were furious about trading him to the Rays.

    bman gave me the heads up on his AAA numbers. get a load of these: 0-5 in 5 starts, 15 1/3 innings, 17.02 era, 22 hits, 20 walks, , 6 hit batters, 5 wild pitches. dude just completely lost it.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited June 2011
    with all the talk about Verlander and Weaver, people seem to forget about the year Beckett is having. helluva start last night
Sign In or Register to comment.