2011(and beyond!) MLB thread.

Comments

• Of course the Statue of Ken Griffey Jr. gets vandalized less than 6 months after it's unveiled. It's good that it'll finally get put back to one piece this weekend but I wonder how long before it gets vandalized again after they finish the repairs?
  • Spring training has started and with headlines like this, The M's season seemingly is already over.
  • I get why the Mariners brought back Ichiro on a one year deal (combination of injuries during Spring Training and also a way to make money). I'm not sure why Ichiro would want to play for a team that he knows has a sub-zero chance at making the playoffs, unless he also has sentimental reasons of wanting to play for the team he made his MLB debut with.
  • Ichiro is a guy that gives his mind and body to the game in a way that not many players do. It's such a shame the majority of his career was wasted on such a morbidly pathetic franchise like the Mariners
  • Well opening day came and went and yet the Cleveland Indians somehow lost the season opener to a team that's season is already over. Their offense looked inept to say the least. They better hope they can turn it around because otherwise it'll be embarrassing to lose the 1st 3 game series of the year to the worst team in baseball.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The way I understand it, only 7 teams are making any kind of serious effort to win this year. If your team is one of the 7, don't panic after a game or two. Anything can happen in the short run. Over the course of 162 games, cream will rise to the top.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited April 3
    ^Truth. Though with my team being the Mariners, they haven't been serious about winning in over a decade and they last time they thought they were they ended up the first team with a $100 million payroll to lose 100 games (they obivously were very flawed with that attempt of roster building and haven't learned anything from that in over a decade of bad roster building other than to not overspend for the sake of spending, aside from Cano).
    I hope Jayson Werth gets called up by the Mariners at some point. Charismatic dude. Still productive? Maybe. He knows how to work a count and is still capable of the getting into a hitting groove. Yeah, he's below average in LF. I won't argue if you want to call him way below average. Memories of his big moments in DC help me overlook all of that + root for his story not to be completed yet.
    WASHINGTON NATIONALS HOME OPENER TODAY, WOOOO
  • I hope Jayson Werth gets called up by the Mariners at some point. Charismatic dude. Still productive? Maybe. He knows how to work a count and is still capable of the getting into a hitting groove. Yeah, he's below average in LF. I won't argue if you want to call him way below average. Memories of his big moments in DC help me overlook all of that + root for his story not to be completed yet.

Jayson Werth will inevitably get called up at some point this season, especially if Nelson Cruz has a serious injury. The Mariners' farm system is the worst in baseball by a wide margin and has been for years. The last time anyone was bullish about their farm system Jack Z was in years 3-6 of their 5 year rebuilding plan & those payers had yet to prove to be disasters (aside from Seager and maybe Paxton). The thing I worry about when Werth does get called up is just how bad his batting average and RBIs will plummet when playing for the Mariners instead of for Tacoma in the PCL. If he is terrible in those things but can homer the ball he is essentially another Mike Zunino (only with a cooler hair & beard combo and has played in the postseason).
    edited May 9
    James Paxton threw a No-Hitter vs. Toronto, becoming the first Canadian to achieve such a feat.
    edited May 28
    At close to the end of May, the 2018 AL central is looking like one of the worst all time divisions in baseball. Cleveland is 1 game above .500 right now and were below .500 before their current win streak. The last time a division was this bad was the AL west in 1994 (though a couple of division winners since then had been close to as bad). That division would've been the first sub .500 division champ in the post season under the wildcard format if not for the '94 players strike ending the season prematurely with no World Series.
  • We are a week into June and yet the Astros are behind the Mariners in the standings in the AL West. Not sure how this is possible with the Astros being defending World Series champs with a good roster and the Mariners being a very flawed roster to say the least (even when not factoring Robinson Cano's suspension for steroids). Still plenty of time for things to correct themselves and see the Mariners return to closer to the bottom of division standings but it is strange seeing them on top at this time. Makes me wonder when it became 2001 again.
  • Another year, another Bobby Bonilla Day for the Mets.
    edited July 2
    Also Mariners busted out the "Turn Ahead The Clock" throwbacks the other night vs the Royals.
  • All-Star weekend has come and gone, a Brewers pitcher's controversial tweets resurfaced, Baseball Hall of Famers got inducted, and the Trade Deadline is quickly coming up (although the Oreoles trading Machado to the Dodgers will likely be the marquee trade of this season.)