What would justify a 3 dollar song?

trainreck182trainreck182 Unsigned
edited February 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I was thinking about this the other day i dont think ive ever seen anybody bring this up on the forums. seeing as that Harmonix themselves dont ever charge a song over 2 dollars even for the big major label artists. Rock Band Network gives authors the ability to charge up to 3 dollars for a song, thats a lot to ask for imo and im curious to know what would justify such a high price and would anybody ever cough up the extra dollar to play that song in Rock Band. for me it would have to be a pretty epic and amazing song to get me to buy it and no song comes to mind that would be worthy. i would think it would hurt the sales the song to see that 3 dollar price tag so why would a band even do it in the first place?

Comments

• guitarguy6guitarguy6 Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    Any song with a pro guitar upgrade...
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    I have every $3 song except "I Couldn't Explain Why" (if we had gotten "Son's Gonna Rise" by Citizen Cope instead that would have changed). What justifies me buying them is that I like the songs. I don't think you should compare price to amount of charts, or length of the song, or anything like that. It should be how much you like the song. If you like it enough, the price becomes a non-factor.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2011
    How well you like the song and what features you're getting. I've either bought or am planning to buy several tracks with pro guitar upgrades, but so far none of the $3 RBN tracks have enthralled me.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    2 words : Led Zeppelin
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited February 2011
    Nothing. I wanted "When I Get Home You're So Dead" in the worst way but did not buy it until it dropped to $2.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited February 2011
    I made a poll about this once: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185390

A surprisingly small portion of people said "no song ever," but the most popular option was that of a personal favorite song, suggesting that most people wouldn't be happy to pay the extra dollar for any reason other than a love of that specific song, so you wouldn't necessarily be able to get away with charging an extra dollar for a longer or "more epic" song, even if it would seem understandable to charge more.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited February 2011
    Considering almost a year Rock Band Network has been available, and the 2 dollar to 3 dollar song ratio is heavily lopsided, you'd have to have an ego to release a song with a 3 dollar price tag at this point. I mean even Warner Music Group songs avoided the 3 dollar tag (but then again they weren't exactly big songs).
    edited February 2011
    As far as this $3 issue is concerned though, the loss of EMI from RBN was a big one. They have some artists that some people may have heard about before.
  • trainreck182trainreck182 Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    to me it just dosent make any sense for a band to charge the highest amount, esp if a they using rock band as a tool to get their music heard. unless its a bigger band that just wants to price gouge their fans because they know they will pay it. I wish Harmonix would just take away the option since they never go that high themselves.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited February 2011
    Songs from highly requested artists (Led Zeppelin, Muse, Metallica) and really long songs (like, way longer than RBN can support).
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    an 20 min rbn song

[ofcourseiknowthattheycanonlydo10minutssongsonrbn]

xP
    edited February 2011
    Honestly I do agree that the $3 price tag should not have been an option, I think some artists saw that and assume that $3 is the regular full price and that $2 is a discount or something.
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't buy any $3 songs except I truly LOVE the song AND it is close to the 10 minute maximum... (and features harmonies & keys)
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited February 2011
    I bought the unofficial version of Atomic by Blondie from the error420 website even though it was $3. I'm not going to say it was totally worth it by itself, though it is fun, especially on bass, but it is my favorite Blondie song.

Besides, I've easily spent over $1,000 on Rock Band DLC, what's an extra dollar for one song? I feel much better purchasing that one song than I did buying GD:RB full price plus export. :p
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited February 2011
    BohemianMatt;4313023 said:
    I bought the unofficial version of Atomic by Blondie from the error420 website even though it was $3. I'm not going to say it was totally worth it by itself, though it is fun, especially on bass, but it is my favorite Blondie song.

Besides, I've easily spent over $1,000 on Rock Band DLC, what's an extra dollar for one song? I feel much better purchasing that one song than I did buying GD:RB full price plus export. :p

Some part of me thinks that might eventually make it as official DLC.
  • MooTrainMooTrain Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    There are no songs I would pay $3 for. I'm a huge Tragically Hip fan and I did not pay $3 for Blow at High Dough. I'd much rather go through the back catalog of RBN songs and find 3 $1 songs I'm curious about.

This may have been different if it were Fifty Mission Cap, At the Hundredth Meridian, or anything else off of Fully Completely.
  • MooTrainMooTrain Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    Or a king tony song.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    I'd say anything song from the RBN 2.0 that is over 7 minutes long and has every instrument in use.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited February 2011
    SupaThugPimpin;4313410 said:
    I'd say anything song from the RBN 2.0 that is over 7 minutes long and has every instrument in use.

Interesting enough there's been a bunch of over 7 minute songs that are only a buck that are really good.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Any great song from Led Zep, Floyd or GNR ;)
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Most of the types of songs people would be willing to pay $3 for are the types that aren't coming to RBN very easily unless more labels get more directly involved in the process. I highly doubt any RBN author that isn't a label is going to get Led Zepplin. Even HMX probably has to fight to get them, and they have more capital (dollars) to offer to artists than your typical RBN author would.

I'd be willing to pay $3, but only for a big artist and only for a song I really, really like. I max out at $2 for the indie artists (which RBN *mostly* is). If I can buy huge artists from HMX for $2, seems fair enough to say this.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    That's a song . . . that's notes and words. That's three dollars? You don't put bourbon in it or nothin'?

I'll do martin and lewis.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited February 2011
    Soror_YZBL;4313648 said:
    That's a song . . . that's notes and words. That's three dollars? You don't put bourbon in it or nothin'?

I'll do martin and lewis.

You can't charge $3 a song and not expect people to get offended. So go ahead and charge me what you're going to charge me, and my natural reaction would be to get offended.
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    kingtonyx;4312666 said:
    As far as this $3 issue is concerned though, the loss of EMI from RBN was a big one. They have some artists that some people may have heard about before.

Still hurtin' over that one.
    Soror_YZBL;4313648 said:

Funniest thing I've read all day. Well done.
    edited February 2011
    Rockox;4313840 said:
    Still hurtin' over that one.
    Yeah for sure, I mean look at what they were leading off with.

For all we know that was just the tip of the iceberg, I don't even know how many times a day I find myself watching a video that's from the "emimusic" channel on YouTube...
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Stop making me look at EMI's artists. Every time I do I see something else I really want (Glay? I didn't realize EMI would have j-rock).

I'm just waiting for Emily Osment from Wind-up, but they haven't submitted anything beyond their initial 7 songs.
    edited February 2011
    DragoonXD;4314001 said:
    Stop making me look at EMI's artists. Every time I do I see something else I really want (Glay? I didn't realize EMI would have j-rock).

I'm just waiting for Emily Osment from Wind-up, but they haven't submitted anything beyond their initial 7 songs.

I know, I'm surprised. They are all generally mega sellers too, right up there with the regular HMX DLC.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited February 2011
    EMI is one of the "Big Four" of music labels (Universal, Warner, EMI and Sony/BMG). So yeah, you're going to see a lot of popular stuff under their umbrella. I too wish they'd reconsider their decision not to support the RBN.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited February 2011
    trainreck182;4312569 said:
    i dont think ive ever seen anybody bring this up on the forums.
    Ha.