Is Rock Band being discontinued too or is it just GH?

TheKLF99TheKLF99 Unsigned
edited February 2011 in Rock Band
Hi,

I heard some bad news that Activision believe the music band game genre has gone stale (not that it was anything to do with them flooding the market last year with numerous GH spin offs and getting everyone confused about what to buy, in about 3 months they released about 7 games that's ridiculous!)

So is Rock Band going to be discontinued too, or will Rock Band be here to stay for the time being?

I really can't see games like this getting stale as long as new music is being made, people will always want to buy the new music, as for gameplay there probably is a limit as to how far you can go with it (although extra DLC like new stages, new challenges, new clothing, new singers, new guitars can always be added), but there is always extra music to be added on. Singstar has reached it's limit as regards to game play but you don't see Sony discontinuing that 'cos they make plenty from selling the songs.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited February 2011
    No.

Game X from company A being stopped doesn't mean game Y from company B is being stopped. A simple glance at ANY article about it would show you there's no mention of Rock Band, and a simple glance around here would show you Harmonix wrote an article about how they're sad to see their child go under, but how Rock Band is still up.
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4314676 said:
    No.

Game X from company A being stopped doesn't mean game Y from company B is being stopped. A simple glance at ANY article about it would show you there's no mention of Rock Band, and a simple glance around here would show you Harmonix wrote an article about how they're sad to see their child go under, but how Rock Band is still up.

Imagine the insanity that will happen when Activision decides to kill the Call of Duty franchise..."What? Does that mean Halo is dead? What about tom clancy's stuff? or redneck rampage??!?!"
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited February 2011
    deathmonkey;4314707 said:
    Imagine the insanity that will happen when Activision decides to kill the Call of Duty franchise..."What? Does that mean Halo is dead? What about tom clancy's stuff? or redneck rampage??!?!"
    Articles flood the internet, with titles like 'Activision says FPSs are over!'
  • JPS2010JPS2010 Opening Act
    edited February 2011
    I don't understand why 3 times a week someone has to rattle the cage and start yet another topic on this....
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Because we love all this internet goodness!
  • GigakoopsGigakoops Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    *sigh*

Look, all people who are not in the know, it is unlikely that Rock Band will be cancelled. My personal theory is the fact that RB3 was more popular than GH:WoR, and Dance Central is getting good sales with the Kinect, so HMX is getting good money that they can use towards future DLC/Game releases for both series.
  • DyslexicDyslexic Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    Being a mean community doesn't help much either though heh.

No, I don't get the feeling that RB is failing the way GH did. For one thing, we don't know whether or not GH was still making money or not. It's quite possible that just like RB, GH wasn't making enough money to interest the corporate fat cats. But unlike HMX, Neversoft couldn't own themselves.

It was a messy business from what I could tell, I think HMX could have very easily have gone under as well. But luckily, that doesn't seem to be the case. DLC is continuing at a steady pace, I would recommend looking at the songs listing section here to find some good stuff. Also, the RBN is still growing filling the track listings of rockband beyond anything that could possibly be advertised.

There will likely be more official expansions as well, RB4 will happen when it's time, but I wouldn't expect that time to be soon.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited February 2011
    Wow... was there really a reason for you all to be a bunch of dick heads? You know,not everyone in the world keeps up with every second of news from HMX and so sometimes you will get asked the same questions more than once. Just answer the question.

HMX is not in great shape, or they would not have been sold and laid off employees. So, every customer counts. It could be that person wanted to ask to make sure buying the game is not a worthless cause, but why would that person buy now when the community is so rude. I know I would think twice about joining in with a community of a$$holes...
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited February 2011
    Fully agree sayburr.There was this big welcome guitar hero fans message not two weeks ago. And now that we've got new members who might not be on the site every day or follow all the online news ask a legitimate question they don't know the answer to, and 90% of the responses were a bunch of dicktits showing off how cool and l33t they think they are.In a time when we all need to stick together, and every fan of the game counts, acting like a bunch of all knowing exclusive cool club fappers is not the right approach.It takes just as long to actually answer the question as it does to come up with some smarmy we're all smartie pants and you're an idiot for not knowing everything we do type of response.Show a little respect and hospitality to new members.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Yeah. I agree with previous posts. There have been numerous posts over the past week about the music genre's state and how to "save" HMX and Rock Band. I guess I missed the idea that we should be complete douches to GH fans who might come here out of curiousity asking a question or two. Not everyone is a dork enough to read every post every day. Some people might even be new to this sight (GASP!).
    To the OP. No, it was just GH that was axed. RB is still strong. DLC is awesome and keeps rolling out every day (Rock Band Network). And no, not everyone here is a *****.
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited February 2011
    i hope not, i love this game, and it is the only one i have played since 07 without really getting tired of it, can't wait for rb4 this fall.
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited February 2011
    Sayburr;4314944 said:
    Wow... was there really a reason for you all to be a bunch of dick heads? You know,not everyone in the world keeps up with every second of news from HMX and so sometimes you will get asked the same questions more than once. Just answer the question.

HMX is not in great shape, or they would not have been sold and laid off employees. So, every customer counts. It could be that person wanted to ask to make sure buying the game is not a worthless cause, but why would that person buy now when the community is so rude. I know I would think twice about joining in with a community of a$$holes...

damnnnnnnnnnnnn snapppppppppppp, go get em boy.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    Sayburr;4314944 said:

You're right, but on a forum that has indications of being lightly moderated, and an official forum at that, it rings a bit hollow to ask people to police themselves.

Why does every prediction thread, a thread that has 'rules' about such things, turn into nothing but whishlists and rumour mongering? Because nobody stops it. Petitioning to an internet forum goer's better nature isn't as effective as one would hope.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    To the OP, I think you make a very valid statement when you said they(Act) flooded the market. This was the most destructive thing that could have happened to them. I actually played both series for a couple of years but when Act.. started releasing games every other month and I knew I could play everything I wanted from one disc with RB I was finished purchasing there games. I do still throw in GH:M(which is the only GH game I have left besides HMX's GHII) every now and then because I love Metallica but otherwise I have sunk my money into HMX and the RB series and I still play just about everyday.

What you have with HMX is a company devotedd to its game and its customers, I could not even begin to tell you how many things have come to be because they listened to what there customers wanted in there game. Come on over to this side its very, very nice here!! ENJOY
  • edited February 2011
    A simple "no" would have sufficed.

I realize this topic has come up with regularity. But pissing people off, driving them away, is only counterproductive. The community can always use more friends and supporters to make it thrive.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
  • GigakoopsGigakoops Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    Sayburr;4314944 said:

Didn't mean to be mean to this guy. Sorry if it turned out that way. It was 3AM, and I was dead tired.