List of Pro Guitar songs with *Alternative Tunings*

daveyvandydaveyvandy Unsigned
edited December 2012 in Rock Band
I thought it might be good to make a master list of all of the Rock Band songs with Pro Guitar alternative tunings. You know how when you are playing a song with your Squier plugged into an amp and it sounds out of tune even after you just tuned it? Well, some songs have alternative tunings. I won't pretend to be an expert on the subject, since the Squier is the first guitar I have ever used. Maybe the experts can chime in and help all us noobs out on the correct tunings and how to get to them.

The format has been cleaned up from before - I hope it's a lot easier to see songs lumped together. This should help making a play-list after you re-tune your guitar.

If you disagree with the listed tuning, let me know and I'll change it.

I think this goes without saying, but make sure you have a tuner.

UPDATE:
It was too difficult to maintain this original post, so, anyone can go to this Google Spreadsheet and update the tunings as they see fit. Big thanks to rrwoods for setting it up!

Click on the following link!
http://tinyurl.com/4k7s2fg

Thanks for everyone's help in maintaining this list :)

Comments

• TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2011
    alex_rb;4329875 said:
    Creedance Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son: D-G-D-G-B-D (Open G Major)
    Thanks for the correction.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    This thread is a good idea, and I'm a little surprised that Harmonix never got around to providing tuning information, since this is required in order to play the song properly on a guitar. Is the list going to be moved to the first post, or remain in the sixth one?
  • Stol-FA-LinStol-FA-Lin Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    celebritykillingspree;4329561 said:
    It is so profoundly frustrating and disappointing that they didn't do this. Honestly, I'm a guitar player so I can take an educated guess at some of these but if this is supposed to be a learning tool this is one very, very obvious thing to overlook.
    Not overlooked exactly, not for a game at least. Like a lot of other things. So what is it? Another of the symptoms of a game being published "too early" that lacks certain features, something not felt to be important or urgent for a game, some feature nobody thought anyone would be interested in, or just something not even being thought of because it "doesn't fit". Likely some combination of those and more.

It's not just the "missing" tunings and such, and it even goes beyond the underestimations and assumptions leading to the seeming lack of availability of hardware in sufficient quantities. There's the mixing of or switching between (depending on instrument) bass/treble or lead/rhythm, the lack of a single-step or speeds under 60%/70%, and what's available for keyboards and strings. So it doesn't appear in the first place to be a learning tool, just one that sort of can be used like that, at least for the time being.

Maybe we'll have non-game things like Easy Rhythm Guitar, Shred Like a Pro, and Learn Strings on a Bass Guitar to look forward to in a few years. Until then, it's pretty good for what it is. A game with extras.
    edited March 2011
    It should take extremely little amount of resources for Harmonix to maintain a thread on the forum with the correct tuning for each song. They already know the tunings, they tabbed everything by ear or by observing/communication with the artists themselves.
  • rrwoodsrrwoods Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Jugular;4329848 said:
    [list]
    Handy list. Shame the game doesn't note "whole-guitar" changes though (i.e., No One Knows is listed as Standard, but it's actually Standard C; Misery Business is listed as Drop D but it's actually Drop Db). Should be easy enough to correct for, just try to play the song on a correctly tuned guitar and see how far down you have to move your fingers to get it to sound right.
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Darky_06;4329856 said:
    Yep, some songs are in tunings that differ to online tabs.

To be fair not all the guitar tabs that I have seen have been accurate so I don't think it is that big of an issue.
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    As mentioned before, "Stop Me If You Think..." is in standard tuning, but with a capo on the 3rd fret.
  • daveyvandydaveyvandy Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll change the format to make them all one-liners and keep the first post updated so we don't have to search around for all the tunings.
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited March 2011
    Misery Business is drop d with a capo on the first fret

Rock Lobster you'd have to remove strings off the guitar...but it's drop c tuning, dafcgc. they are a punk band used odd sounds, odd tunings,removed the 2 middle strings....impossible to duplicate...drop c for all intent works fine...never tune high e to g# good luck finding a chord to play that way

Are you getting these tunings from tabs online? Because you do understand 99.9% of online tabs are incorrect I hope. Those tunings you have for some songs are impossible to play anything with.....music isn't as complicated as you're making it, also, lots of artist use whammy pedals to drop and shift notation during songs, it's nothing to do with tuning. Pinch harmonics will change a notes tone and tune...a bend, a effect such as tremelo.digital whammy, wah.......bands don't retune, every song and very few use odd tunings, alot of what you hear on a cd isn't correctly in tune to relation to the instrument, the track may have been slowed down or made faster, mixing techniques can make you hear very odd things....tricks bands use to stop people from copying their artwork.
    edited March 2011
    wickedbadz;4330301 said:

Rock Lobster you'd have to remove strings off the guitar...but it's drop c tuning, dafcgc. they are a punk band used odd sounds, odd tunings,removed the 2 middle strings....impossible to duplicate...drop c for all intent works fine...never tune high e to g# good luck finding a chord to play that way

Are you getting these tunings from tabs online? Because you do understand 99.9% of online tabs are incorrect I hope. Those tunings you have for some songs are impossible to play anything with.....music isn't as complicated as you're making it, also, lots of artist use whammy pedals to drop and shift notation during songs, it's nothing to do with tuning. Pinch harmonics will change a notes tone and tune...a bend, a effect such as tremelo.digital whammy, wah.......bands don't retune, every song and very few use odd tunings, alot of what you hear on a cd isn't correctly in tune to relation to the instrument, the track may have been slowed down or made faster, mixing techniques can make you hear very odd things....tricks bands use to stop people from copying their artwork.

Thanks for the feedback. The tunings listed are a combination of what people have posted as well as what is listed in the trainers. As pointed out, some of the tunings listed in the trainers are actually incorrect... and many people have disagreed with the tunings that other people have posted. Online tabs of course have no guarantee of accuracy, but they can be used as a reference if there are enough pointing to the same tuning.

Of course we cannot compensate for whammying/effects/speed differences, but any tuning other than standard is better with some of these songs.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    If you go into the trainer for the song and turn on "Chord/Note Help", when you miss it will sometimes bring up a picture of a fretboard showing where your fingers should be. If the involved frets are low enough, the picture will include a bit of the headstock and the nut, where note names will appear to the left of each string (see this). The named notes will usually be "E A D G B e" (standard tuning), but sometimes they're different. Some of us have theorized that when they're different it indicates that they're being played in an alternate tuning, but's not known if this is always accurate. (I adapted this paragraph from another post :D).

Using the "song trainer" method for divining tunings, which I'm not sure works, I found the following alternate tunings for guitar charts:
    • "Can't Get Enough of Your Love" - Bad Company
      E G D G B e
    • "In the End" - Linkin Park
      Drop D
    • "Beast and the Harlot" - Avenged Sevenfold
      Drop D
    • "The Beautiful People" - Marilyn Manson
      Drop D
    • "The Con" - Tegan and Sara
      E G D G B e
    • "Nice Shot Man" - Filter
      Drop D
    • "Humanoid" - Tokio Hotel
      Drop D
    • "Killing Loneliness" - H.I.M.
      Drop D
    • "Misery Business" - Paramore
      Drop D
    • "Portions for Foxes" - Rilo Kiley
      Drop D
    • "Rock Lobster" - The B-52s
      E A D G A a
    • "Werewolves of London" - Warren Zevon
      E B D G B e
    The first two are the only pieces of DLC that I have which show alternate tunings in their training lessons. I checked the others that I have, which are
    • "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King
    • "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" - Billy Joel
    • "Only the Good Die Young" - Billy Joel
    • "Big Shot" - Billy Joel
    • "Livin' on a Prayer (RB3)" - Bon Jovi
    • "You Give Love a Bad Name (RB3)" - Bon Jovi
    • "Wanted Dead or Alive (RB3)" - Bon Jovi
    • "More Than a Feeling" - Boston
    • "London Calling" - The Clash
    • "Bad Moon Rising" - Creedence Clearwater
    • "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater
    • "Modern Love" - David Bowie
    • "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie
    • "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode
    • "Light My Fire" - The Doors
    • "Riders of the Storm" - The Doors
    • "Touch Me" - The Doors
    • "What I've Done" - Linkin Park
    • "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • "What's Your Name" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • "We Belong" - Pat Benatar
    • "Killer Queen (RB3)" - Queen
    • "Sombody To Love (RB3)" - Queen
    • "Under Pressure (RB3)" - Queen
    • "We Are the Champions (RB3)" - Queen
    • "Subdivisions" - Rush
    • "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" - Stevie Nicks
    • "Burning Down the House" - Talking Heads
    I went through all 113 songs (83 RB3, 30 DLC) for which I had pro guitar charts and those are all that showed up in the trainer.

I think that it's obvious that the trainers can't be trusted.
  • Simplyme_BebeSimplyme_Bebe Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    I believe No One Knows is played, C F Bb Eb G c. Again it does depend on how Harmonix charted the song. But that is the tuning I've learned to play their entire Songs For The Deaf album, except for one I believe.
  • alex_rbalex_rb Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4329890 said:
    Thanks for the correction.

I'm glad to have helped with this thread. This thread will be extremely useful to both me and anyone who wants to play these songs outside the game. Keep up the good work everyone!
    edited March 2011
    wickedbadz;4330301 said:
    Not correct. It's down a half step from Drop D, not up a half step. The tuning is Drop Db.
  • leff4leff4 Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    What about Pro-Bass charts?
  • Rhystic_1Rhystic_1 Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Tegan and Sara - The Con: A dropped to G + Capo on first fret.
  • Darky_06Darky_06 Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Yea I'm gonna have to take back my statement on the first page, the tunings in the trainers are full of sh-it. One obvious example is that it says to use standard tuning for Fortunate Son when it is clearly not in standard tuning.

I decided to have a look at Rock Lobster in Guitar Pro and it looks like if you want to use Hmx's chart to play it you're going to have to tune to C F D G F F which is completely different to the tuning in the trainer which says E A D G A A.
    edited March 2011
    Hey everyone. Thank you for the feedback.

I played with the tunings that were listed and confirmed a bunch of songs, but also found that some were not correct. Please let me know if you know the tunings for the songs that were not correct.

Wrong:
    Killing Loneliness - not Drop D
    Bad Moon Rising - not Drop D
    Before I forget - not Drop D

Right:
    All other songs listed in Drop D
    Simple Man
    edited March 2011
    Some more additions I found while playing. Also, I have no idea what the correct tuning is - so an internet cookie to whoever can find any of them out!

Crosstown Traffic
    I Need You Tonight
    Hey Man Nice Shot
    Walking on the Sun

Pride and Joy
  • celebritykillingspreecelebritykillingspree Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    I just want to know why this information isn't included. It doesn't take up any space. It could easily have appeared right at the top of the screen in the song trainers. I know you can turn on the chord/help option and look at the nut, but as many have pointed out even this doesn't include half steps. I'd like to think there is some weird licensing clause where they are aloud to transcribe the song but not allowed to divulge the tuning in which it's transcribed, rather than just laziness or apathy. But how could they not think this matters to people?!

The main attraction is that you can now play the music on real instruments. How can they teach you everything about playing the song except the one crucial key that actually makes that transcription playable?
    edited March 2011
    It does seem odd to go out of the way to provide the original tablature for the song and not provide the tuning.
  • alex_rbalex_rb Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    daveyvandy;4334281 said:
    Some more additions I found while playing. Also, I have no idea what the correct tuning is - so an internet cookie to whoever can find any of them out!
    I looked up some tabs and this is what I found:

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb (E Flat Tuning)

Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot: D-A-D-G-B-E (Drop D)

Every tab for Hey Man, Nice Shot I've seen has been in Drop D and they look pretty much the same as HMX's chart.

INXS - Need you Tonight: Dunno if this is in standard tuning but it sounds like it is. If not, it could be in E Flat as well. Tabs online have a C barre chord played instead of C#.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Crosstown Traffic: Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb (E Flat Tuning)

Smash Mouth - Walking On The Sun: Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb (E Flat Tuning)

I hope these are right. Feel free to correct me if they aren't though.
    edited March 2011
    Is it just me, or is Only The Good Die Young in Standard tuning with Capo 12?
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, thank you forum software. I just had a really nice post describing how to translate Only The Good Die Young to a real guitar all typed up, I clicked Post, and it just disappeared. Gimme a minute...
    edited March 2011
    INXS - Need You Tonight is tuned down half a step (Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).
    edited March 2011
    Here's some corrected chord voicings for playing Only The Good Die Young with capo 12. This is as close as you're going to get if you want to match the voicings in the recording but still translate from RB's pro chart.

F 1332xx
    G 32000x *
    Am x022xx **
    C x3201x
    D7 x5421x ***
    Dm x532xx ****
    D7sus2 As D7.
    xxx453 x754xx
    xxx231 As Dm.
    xx545x x421xx
    xx323x 754xxx

Notes: I don't have my guitar on me at the moment, so when I say something is "probably playable" it's because I honestly haven't tried it yet. I'm writing this post at work (shh don't tell)

* 3x000x would be match to the song's actual voicing
    ** This doesn't include the C required to make this actually a minor chord. x0221x fixes that, but includes a note that is higher than the voicing in the recording. 5322xx is probably playable, especially since you're playing capo 12 anyway.
    *** There really is no way to play the D7 that is anything close to the game's charting that will match the recording in the slightest. xx021x kinda works but not really as it's missing the F#.
    **** See above note.

Alternatively, learn to play the song in Capo 5, as it was recorded:

F as C: x32010
    G as D: xx0232
    Am as Em: 022000
    C as G: 320033
    D7 as A7: x02020
    Dm as Am: x02210
    D7sus2 as A7sus2: x02000
    xxx453 as xx443x
    xxx231 as xx221x
    xx545x as xx110x
    xx323x as x442xx
  • maximf83maximf83 Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    metallica is playing most of their songs in half step down tuning (D#-A#-F#-C#-G#-D#), and justice for all is no different
    edited March 2011
    maximf83;4334794 said:
    metallica is playing most of their songs in half step down tuning (D#-A#-F#-C#-G#-D#), and justice for all is no different
    Interesting that you say that, since I've found most of their songs to be in standard tuning.
  • Darky_06Darky_06 Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Fortunate Son and Bad Moon Rising are 1 step down. D G C F A D
    edited March 2011
    Thanks again for all the feedback!

One song I do not have is Fortunate Son, and there has been a few different tunings suggested for this by many people (Open G vs. D). Can someone try the tunings out and confirm which one is correct?

I'm off to confirm all of the new Eb tunings - it's easier doing multiple songs with the same tuning :)

Internet cookies to be sent after confirmation :)