Is it just me who seems to think this?

BrodieMikeBrodieMike Unsigned
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Does it seem that RBN started out very strongly and has slowly tapered off into being like 90% crap that nobody has heard of or wants?

Comments

• LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Nnnnno. Can't wait for RBN2.0, and we have big names (at least from a musical point of view) on the pipeline. Lately we've had Sonata Arctica, Evanescence,.. RBN 2.0 willl bring us Eiffel 65, and a whole lot of Prog Bands I already fell in love with..
  • RIVEXNGLERIVEXNGLE Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    I actually have more Network songs than Harmonix DLC.
    You can find some pretty neat stuff in the Network.
  • VincentMDOVincentMDO Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Still hoping some Opeth on RBN. :D
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    There should be a law against posting "Is it just me" threads unless you have something vaguely original to say.

There are 6.9 billion people on the planet so unless you're disproving an Einstein theory it's safe to say that you aren't breaking any new ground.

And aside from being a slap in the face to people who love RBN and people who work on RBN your post is just completely wrong. Ween, Evanescense, Attack Attack, and other major bands have all had recent releases through RBN.
  • AshtrayHeartAshtrayHeart Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Absolutely not. Good songs come out for it every once in a while. Just because you're unfamiliar with the artists doesn't mean it's bad.

And I'm sure Metal fans are glad it has become mainly a haven for small-time Metal bands.
  • psymatiqpsymatiq Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Lots of awsome songs. Its basically people that like 3 songs that ***** and whine.

Try something new and enjoy life.

*****ing is for girls.

In a year im at 400ish rbn and i only got like 10 bad downloads...(im looking at you bang in a can allstars)
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I thought of the same thing as well, started out good and then it was filled with some other unknown artists. But when you take the time to go through all the previews and sometimes watching gameplay vids of the songs you're interested on YouTube, you tend to discover some kick ass music.

Here's a few recommendations that you may want to check out that isn't just "RAWRRAWR" post-hardcore/metal:

Bulletproof Messenger - Control, This is Fantasy, Lose It All, Arm Yourself
    Ultra Saturday - Not My Fault, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    After the Fall - Stay Up With Me
    Kramus - Down Below, Embrace Your Rage
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    rab39;4330952 said:
    There should be a law against posting "Is it just me" threads unless you have something vaguely original to say.
    Agreed. I was hoping that someday someone would finally edit the forum software to reject any new thread title that starts with "Is it just me"! :)

So, in that spirit...

"Is it just me, or do you also think that some people are closed-minded and let major label marketers tell them what to listen to?"

Yes.

Yes we do.

- m
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    itzJV;4331117 said:

Here's a few recommendations that you may want to check out that isn't just "RAWRRAWR" post-hardcore/metal:

Ultra Saturday - Not My Fault, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ah! Glad to see some people found us buried in the mass amounts of metal :p No I'm not hating on metal, I'm quite the metal head ... But we are definitely in the minority!
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
  • jacob42jacob42 Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure it's just you.
    But then again, you might become more interested when RBN2 songs start coming out.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Markleford;4331284 said:
    "Is it just me, or do you also think that some people are closed-minded and let major label marketers tell them what to listen to?"

Yes.

Yes we do.

- m
    Oh yes.

Much in the same way that people have allowed themselves to be taught that McDonald's hamburgers actually taste good.
    edited March 2011
    ^I personally think all fast food burgers taste awful.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    AshtrayHeart;4332221 said:
    ^I personally think all fast food burgers taste awful.

Congratulations: you've seen the fnords.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    You're just bitter. Get more famous!

Immanentize the eschaton!
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    BrodieMike;4330772 said:
    Does it seem that RBN started out very strongly and has slowly tapered off into being like 90% crap that nobody has heard of or wants?

Are you telling me that you have listened to the 1000ish tracks on RBN and decided that 900 are crap? In which case you must have purchased 100. That's still impressive, since that would be 100 tracks you would not normally have access to via the normal DLC route.

I suspect the average amount of RBN purchased by anyone is less than 100, so in that view the RBN has actually been a big success for you. I fail to see your argument.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Blasteroids;4332932 said:
    Are you telling me that you have listened to the 1000ish tracks on RBN and decided that 900 are crap? In which case you must have purchased 100. That's still impressive, since that would be 100 tracks you would not normally have access to via the normal DLC route.

I suspect the average amount of RBN purchased by anyone is less than 100, so in that view the RBN has actually been a big success for you. I fail to see your argument.

Damn, you're absolutely right. I personally enjoy the RBN, and I've only bought about 45-50 songs. OP must love the RBN at least twice as much as I do!
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited March 2011
    How anyone can call RBN a failure and/or crap when it got Emperor tracks into Rock Band?
  • OsperoOspero Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    rab39;4330952 said:

There are 6.9 billion people on the planet so unless you're disproving an Einstein theory it's safe to say that you aren't breaking any new ground.

And aside from being a slap in the face to people who love RBN and people who work on RBN your post is just completely wrong. Ween, Evanescense, Attack Attack, and other major bands have all had recent releases through RBN.
    I was going to answer to the OP - but you took the words right out of my mouth. (And by the by, it's Evanescence. ;) ).
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    There's plenty of great songs out there, and are still coming out, you just gotta find them.
  • JupiahJupiah Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    There certainly is an awful lot of crap on the Network, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything good still being released. I've actually listened to almost every song on the RBN so far and I've still bought 215 of them. All but maybe 25 of them I had never heard of before.

RBN has introduced me to some of my favorite new bands: Amberian Dawn and The Downtown Fiction. I've only regretted one purchase ever, the Splosion Man Theme Song. Bought that simply because I loved that game, ended up hating the song and deleting it though. Thankfully it was only 1 dollar wasted.
    edited March 2011
    Jupiah;4333650 said:
    There certainly is an awful lot of crap on the Network, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything good still being released. I've actually listened to almost every song on the RBN so far and I've still bought 215 of them. All but maybe 25 of them I had never heard of before.

RBN has introduced me to some of my favorite new bands: Amberian Dawn and The Downtown Fiction. I've only regretted one purchase ever, the Splosion Man Theme Song. Bought that simply because I loved that game, ended up hating the song and deleting it though. Thankfully it was only 1 dollar wasted.

Should've gone with "Donuts, Go Nuts!". I lol'd so hard when I saw they released that for RBN.
  • JupiahJupiah Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    AshtrayHeart;4333794 said:
    Should've gone with "Donuts, Go Nuts!". I lol'd so hard when I saw they released that for RBN.

Heh, I did buy that one! Totally catchy and fun song, too bad the Splosion Man Theme Song isn't anywhere near as awesome.

Also, some other great bands I'd never heard of until I bought their songs from the RBN: Hourcast, C & O, Modern Skirts, A'tris, Fake Shark-Real Zombie!, Paul Henry Smith & The Fauxharmonic Orchestra, BulletProof Messenger, Mystic Syntax, The Novocaines, John Garrison, Nothing More, Rodrigo y Gabriela.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I have 558 RBN 1.0 songs.

Obviously I don't think most of it is Crap. :)
    By way of comparison, in the same time period, I bought 264 regular DLC songs.

But I have always liked the sound of unreleased/unknown bands. You quite often get stuff that is out of the mainstream, someone with a unique voice and sound - and that is worth a lot more than a recognized name.

But then I downloaded/purchased a lot of songs from MP3.com back around 2000 when they were a venue for up and coming bands, and did similar things with Garage band.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Here's my total impression of the RBN. Keeping in mind that up until RBN2.0, I haven't paid it much attention due to the fact that before RB3, I was on a Wii, and after RB3, my main instrument was keys, so I had no use for the RBN. Now, this is what I see:

- First downloaded song, Blue (Da Ba Dee). Classic. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't secretly like this song.
    - First anticipated songs: "Dreamchaser" by Amberian Dawn and all the Andromeda songs that are in production.

When those songs get released, I'll have at LEAST 5 songs that will occupy my time for months. I mean, I don't get all that much DLC, I have to pay for it myself, so 5 really really really good songs is a lot for me. If you are expecting 300 of your favorite songs to be in the game, then you are just ungrateful.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    atalkingfish;4334053 said:
    If you are expecting 300 of your favorite songs to be in the game, then you are just ungrateful.
    ...*or* just lazy, for not contacting the band/management/label, making a deal, and authoring the track yourself. ;)

- m
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2011
    I think the OP needs to not confuse songs people dont want with songs people perhaps may not know. Ive been buying a few songs from RBN the last two days - certainly more than the last two months.

The reason for this was due to (a) trying to sit on my wallet for the best part to see what was coming compatable with RBN2.0 features and (b) the mass song releases to get tracks out before RBN1 closed it doors meant there was too much for me to get through and pick out songs to my tastes from those which were not and in the end i gave up.

For the best part im now getting back to trying to get through them all and seeing if any are worth the purchase or worse case scenario a demo download. Im hearing a lot of good stuff personally so i guess its different strokes for different folks and being a scotsman its fair to say ive not heard of most pretty much any of the recently released bands but the ones which people claim are bigger names are the ones ive found myself the least attracted too. RBN is an awesome service for the smaller bands and if i like the song enough ill buy it regardless of whether or not many people i know have heard of the song or even the band.
  • codenamespedcodenamesped Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    I've downloaded more songs from the RBN since RB3's launch. Being a fan of the various subgenres of metal have made experimentation very fun. Going to my local music store (which is where I pretty much buy all my music nowadays) and finding something I may not have heard of is part of the fun. The other is actually listening to it to find a preference. If it weren't for my experimenting with the genre, I would've never found such amazing bands as Sirenia, Sons of Seasons, Trail of Tears, or Veil of Maya, all of whom I'd love to see in RBN. Granted, not every one will be a success. I've found bands that I'm just not into like Avantasia or Echoes of Eternity, but they do have fans, and I'm sure those fans are just as vocal as I am about the bands I'd like to see. But beyond that, how will I ever know what bands to like if I never bothered to listen to them?

I can guarantee that the majority of content I downloaded through RBN (which is only currently around 45 songs) are from bands I've never heard of, and I'm enjoying them very thoroughly.