What About RNB Adding Pro Support to Older RB Tracks?

NeilDiamond1974NeilDiamond1974 Opening Act
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Before you laugh me out of the forum, I know I've seen tools to extract the audio tracks and other related information from the older PS2 releases. I would assume that it is possible to add pro key, guitar, drums and maybe harmony vocals to some of the older songs. (For instance, I'd really like to see Deep Purple's Highway Star and Faith No More's Epic redone. I'd buy 'em again.)

You'd be doing Harmonix a major favor in enabling them to re-release more material like they did for Bon Jovi. I can't image it would be that much of a nightmare for their licensing dept.

It seems win-win to me.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    This is not what RBN is for. HMX would never allow it anyway. If you want 'official' RB content to be redone as RB3 Versions, tell HMX that. If you want those songs via RBN2, then tell the rights holders that.

Also, for the foreseeable future, no RBN2 song will support Pro guitar/bass.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    NeilDiamond1974;4332219 said:
    drums

FYI, every song ever released except for the early RBN stuff has Pro Drum support. That means all DLC and all tracks that exported from RB1, RB2 and so on.

As for keys/harmonies/pro guitar - they HAVE been doing that, don't you check the DLC? We've had pro guitar/bass updates for a variety of old DLC, and completely new versions of some tracks (Queen, Bon Jovi and more) that have keys and harmonies.

Harmonix wouldn't allow the RBN community - who, despite being a great bunch of folk, are essentially just the general public - to have access to the stems and other files of any Harmonix-licensed content and any reverse engineering that hacks them out of the game files is very much not what they want.
  • kurathkurath Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    NeilDiamond1974;4332219 said:
    I can't image it would be that much of a nightmare for their licensing dept.

This is probably where you're going wrong. As far as I understand it, they'd have to reattempt it to license it for even an attempt, and not every RBN track goes through. When it comes to licensing for a smaller indie band or an indie label, thats not as big a deal, but when a big band/label has HMX coming up to them asking to redistribute the masters to any random person who wants to attempt it, I can't imagine any of them going through with that - which is why none of these bands have content on RBN to begin with. Then, go ahead and try it hundreds of times over for each band out there.

Its a nice thought, and though we don't have the exact process, what we have glimpsed of it would indicate its far more work than you're making it out to be, at least, to do it legitimately.
  • NeilDiamond1974NeilDiamond1974 Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to trivialize any of the work here.

In terms of the master recordings, as I was pointing out before, it appears that they can be extracted from some of the early RB PS2 versions. (I believe that Harmonix used a multitrack ogg format.)

I realize that you can't go and re-license that work directly on RBN, but maybe adding the parts and submitting that directly to Harmonix would speed up the process of getting some of the keyboard and guitar parts out there and save them work. It was just a thought. Perhaps not a very good one, but selfishly I'd like to see some more re-released. Yes, I'd pay for the upgraded versions.
    kurath;4333646 said:
    This is probably where you're going wrong. As far as I understand it, they'd have to reattempt it to license it for even an attempt, and not every RBN track goes through. When it comes to licensing for a smaller indie band or an indie label, thats not as big a deal, but when a big band/label has HMX coming up to them asking to redistribute the masters to any random person who wants to attempt it, I can't imagine any of them going through with that - which is why none of these bands have content on RBN to begin with. Then, go ahead and try it hundreds of times over for each band out there.

Its a nice thought, and though we don't have the exact process, what we have glimpsed of it would indicate its far more work than you're making it out to be, at least, to do it legitimately.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    Could keys and harmonies be added to existing RBN songs? I just bought "Going Under" by Evanescence, and it strikes me as a great song for both, yet it's pre-RB3 so it has neither.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4336145 said:
    Could keys and harmonies be added to existing RBN songs? I just bought "Going Under" by Evanescence, and it strikes me as a great song for both, yet it's pre-RB3 so it has neither.

Not without a brand-new RB3 Version that you'd have to pay for. It's technologically impossible to simply add those charts; remixing has to be done of the stems to do so, and the new song has to go through Peer Review again. Also the venue must be updated to conform to the new venue system.