Pro Guitar, Pro Bass, Pro Keyboards in RBN songs

my_yartsmy_yarts Unsigned
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Does the RBN toolset give the ability for authors to create Pro Guitar, Pro Bass and Pro Keyboard parts?

(Tried searching the forums but wasn't able to find an answer to this question)

Comments

• Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Pro Guitar No
    Pro Bass No
    Pro Keys Yes
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Yep. Standard keys, pro keys, and harmonies (where applicable for the song) will be charted for future RBN songs. Just give it a few more weeks and you'll start to see these songs show up in the store. :)
  • ForSparePartsForSpareParts Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Catch-22 is right, but it's also worth knowing that Keys/Pro Keys (along with vocal harmonies) were only added in the newest update to Rock Band Network, which is why no keyboard or harmony tracks are in RBN just yet -- you'll be seeing them fairly soon. Newer songs are also likely to feature better Pro Drums charts. While you can technically play back-catalog songs on Pro Drums, as I understand it many authors didn't specifically chart their songs this way, as they didn't know it would be a feature (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Pro Drums charting is now mandatory for any future RBN releases.
  • madcapmattmadcapmatt Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Since HMX can add Pro guitar to back catalog DLC...have they ever said they wouldn't add them to RBN songs? Unlikely, I realize, but the question should be asked anyway.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    They'd have to allow pro guitar charting on RBN in the first place before that could even be considered. If they did allow RBN authors to do it though, I'm sure they'd at least consider it.
  • edited March 2011
    The 3 songs from the Schick thing are all RBN and have pro-guitar so it can be done, sort of.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4332472 said:
    They'd have to allow pro guitar charting on RBN in the first place before that could even be considered. If they did allow RBN authors to do it though, I'm sure they'd at least consider it.

It should be stated that some of the reasons why RBN does not have Pro guitar/bass support include the expectation that the number of testers, especially those of a particular quality, will be quite low. This would slow down the approval process significantly.

Also, it would be very time consuming to chart them adding further delay. I don't believe that HMX has categorically refused to support it for RBN, so things may change depending on the overall success of the Pro guitars.

For now, however, there will be no Pro guitar/bass support for RBN tracks.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4332593 said:
    The 3 songs from the Schick thing are all RBN and have pro-guitar so it can be done, sort of.

What three songs are those?
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I can tell you from personal experience that the hard part is coming up with the tablature. Adding pro guitar notes based on that tablature isn't that difficult using an appropriate tool (something more specialized than a MIDI editor). Since the customs audience has made their own tools to create these, there's no reason to expect that Harmonix hasn't done the same.

The reason there's no pro guitar for RBN is because Harmonix can't reasonably trust the quality of the charting and play testing. If this barrier was overcome, I'm sure most artists that wanted to break into a new audience wouldn't be that hesitant to give the authors the real compositions to the songs so that gamers could learn to play the music.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    I understand the decision to not support pro guitar/bass charting, but if/when they eventually decide to add it, I really hope they allow RBN to release pro upgrades in the same way that they do for official DLC. It would be a massive shame if all the great tracks released so far were unable to be upgraded to pro mode without a whole new song ('RB4 version'? It would especially annoying for songs that also get upgraded to a RB3 version).