Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2011
    I don't know how they can say this is the first game with real guitar. I guess no one's heard of Power Gig or the Rock Band pro guitar, so they believe it.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4336166 said:
    I don't know how they can say this is the first game with real guitar. I guess no one's heard of Power Gig or the Rock Band pro guitar, so they believe it.
    Just browsing around the net, it looks like not many people consider guitars with midi pickups as "real" guitars so they are completely disregarding RB3's guitar (which is full scale unlike the Rocksmith one may be) and PowerGig's since they both have midi pickups.

It's a shame how ignorant people can be sometimes ain't it?
  • princessjessa13princessjessa13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4336193 said:
    Just browsing around the net, it looks like not many people consider guitars with midi pickups as "real" guitars so they are completely disregarding RB3's guitar (which is full scale unlike the Rocksmith one may be) and PowerGig's since they both have midi pickups.

It's a shame how ignorant people can be sometimes ain't it?

...though, to be fair, I don't think ANYONE can consider what PowerGig had to be a REAL GUITAR xP
    edited March 2011
    princessjessa13;4336224 said:
    ...though, to be fair, I don't think ANYONE can consider what PowerGig had to be a REAL GUITAR xP
    If they consider the First Act guitars as "real", they can consider the PowerGig guitar as real. :p

It is pretty much a real guitar except it has a smaller scale, much like the Les Paul Junior's, but it still contains real guitar parts. I don't see any argument towards RB3's Squier though.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited March 2011
    Rocksmith sounds like a rock polishing game.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Lawdog1521;4336239 said:
    Rocksmith sounds like a rock polishing game.

From what I understand, you can put the guitar to the side, polish some rocks and still get through the song without any problems. A whopping forty-ish songs, and just the guitar parts for each of them.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4336226 said:
    If they consider the First Act guitars as "real", they can consider the PowerGig guitar as real. :p

It is pretty much a real guitar except it has a smaller scale, much like the Les Paul Junior's
    I remember that someone once got sued by First Act because they were calling First Act (marching band) instruments "instrument-shaped objects".

Les Paul Juniors have the same scale length as the other Gibson guitars, you may be thinking of the "Express" model they are bundling Rocksmith with.
    edited March 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4336253 said:
    I remember that someone once got sued by First Act because they were calling First Act (marching band) instruments "instrument-shaped objects".

Les Paul Juniors have the same scale length as the other Gibson guitars, you may be thinking of the "Express" model they are bundling Rocksmith with.
    Yeah, I meant the Express model, my bad.

I laways interchange the two for some reason...
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4336193 said:

Did the PowerGig guitar really have a MIDI pickup? I haven't anything like that up to now.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4336259 said:
    Did the PowerGig guitar really have a MIDI pickup? I haven't anything like that up to now.

I don't think it did, but wasn't the guitar made of plastic? Also, I think it was one of the reviews of Power Gig that called them "instrument-shaped objects." Never heard anyone got sued over it though.

Edit: Also, I may actually pick this game up if it ends up being basically an interactive tab book, if it turns out to be standard game price (maybe I'll get it at a discount whenever). I have a real guitar already, so as long as the interface isn't clunky as all hell and confusing, it could be a decent investment. HMX seems like they don't have the manpower to put out a constant flood of pro g/b DLC, so why not another ~40 songs (or however many) for $40 or cheaper?
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    skyttskytt;4336264 said:
    HMX seems like they don't have the manpower to put out a constant flood of pro g/b DLC, so why not another ~40 songs (or however many) for $40 or cheaper?

Unless I read that article wrong or missed some info, there's only guitar charts, for one thing.
    edited March 2011
    It's Ubisoft. They make Sam Fisher's nightvision googles have a giant green glowing light on front of them. Realism is their forte.
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4336259 said:
    Yes it does and I think it also had a real pickup so you could play through an amp.

Also, it's not made out of plastic, it's made out of basswood and maple, two very commonly used woods for "real" guitars. The only thing about it is it has a very small scale which makes it feel toy-ish and unauthentic.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Not enough shown for me to pass judgment. I wonder if they will have it as guitar only....
    edited March 2011
    monkeyfish;4336273 said:
    Unless I read that article wrong or missed some info, there's only guitar charts, for one thing.

In all honesty, I usually only play bass when I play with friends and we switch off. Still, HMX is capped at what they can put out it seems, either in terms of manpower or what's profitable, if this game is "good enough," then it's a source of extra charts. Duplicates will definitely hurt my decision.
    edited March 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4336287 said:
    Yes it does and I think it also had a real pickup so you could play through an amp.

Also, it's not made out of plastic, it's made out of basswood and maple, two very commonly used woods for "real" guitars. The only thing about it is it has a very small scale which makes it feel toy-ish and unauthentic.

Huh, the more you know. I thought someone had said it was plastic, or at least part of it was plastic. I really never cared to look into it, it definitely looked like plastic in some pictures, so I never questioned it.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Mega-Tallica;4336287 said:

Looks like it really does, which surprises me:
    http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3115.0

As far as duplicates, the PR for RockSmith seemed to want to make it clear that they were going for mostly or all exclusives as far as song selection went.
    edited March 2011
    According to ScoreHero, these songs are confirmed from a screenshot:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/198408_157767507614267_151544094903275_314849_7430655_n.jpg

Yellow Moon Band - "Chimney"
    Interpol - "Slow Hands"
    Best Coast - "When I'm With You"
    The Animals - "House Of The Rising Sun"
    Nirvana - "In Bloom"
  • TheGreatDaveTheGreatDave Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Rocksmith is an evolution of Guitar Rising, a game which was announced at least as far back as 2008, and supported any guitar. It's safe to say after seeing that those videos back in the day Harmonix were inspired to create pro guitar mode for RB3 in order to stay competitive.

When you think about it, Harmonix kinda stole the idea. Not sure how to feel about this tbh.
  • princessjessa13princessjessa13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4336317 said:
    According to ScoreHero, these songs are confirmed from a screenshot:

Yellow Moon Band - "Chimney"
    Interpol - "Slow Hands"
    Best Coast - "When I'm With You"
    The Animals - "House Of The Rising Sun"
    Nirvana - "In Bloom"

WHAT? NO! NO NO NO NO!

After "Misery Business", "House of the Rising Sun" became my most desired RB track. ESPECIALLY AS WE HAVE A F*CKING KEYBOARD NOW!!!

Ugh, this better not be an exclusive track...
  • ElitroElitro Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    No excuse to hate on this announcement.

First of all, if it succeeds its either because it's very good or because of it's marketing.

I think HMX could use this to their benefit, if it works they can try to get their word out that RB3 also has pro guitar, if people are more aware that these tools exist they will notice more of them.

This also seems to bring some cool concepts like the amp mode and such, if it's successful HMX can apply it to a possible future product with a guaranteed chance of acceptance.

Also people seem to bash it not having no on-line co-op but the truth is that RB online isn't that great, and if the product wants to teach you guitar the point is getting outside and show it to your friends so i understand why it might skip it.

So far the major feature seems to be the all guitar input. But that still remains to be seen... it's a huuuge promise thou!

Honestly i was expecting GH to follow this instead, my plan was to buy RB and GH later since both of them have very different music selections and i like GH more... also do notice this game is aimed solely at guitar, while RB sacrificed much to get the piano in there. Which is noticeable not only in the disc songs but also in the dlc... which has been very lackluster to me (personal oppinion not general...).

This also marks the possible revival (or final strike) of the music genre, after all this doom and gloom is nice to see some companies still believe this has something left!

At this point i'm still waiting on my squier, but i won't cancel it. RB has too much of a lead regarding song selection and a system which works 100% and i can trust. But if Rocksmith turns any good ill get both :).

People on the fence might wait it out to see if it's worth it, but if you don't have a squier by now (unless you are still waiting like me) you either won't get it or are waiting on a price drop so i don't feel this will have any meaningful impact in future sales.

Guess we'll know more at E3.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Interesting. If this turns out any good, it *may* be worth checking out once it goes cheap. I could always use my Squier with it, after all.

I don't have much faith in Ubisoft to make the game good though.
    edited March 2011
    There's plenty of reason to hate on it. With the exception of HMX and Activision (RB and GH) all the companies who have tried to get in on this market have made crappy, inferior products. At this point in the game, stop boasting (which is all this announcment does) and put up or shut up.
    edited March 2011
    I will hate it if it turns out to have exclusive tracks, especially if it fails like Power Gig. It's annoying when dead franchises have exclusive songs or artists.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited March 2011
    princessjessa13;4336329 said:
    After "Misery Business", "House of the Rising Sun" became my most desired RB track. ESPECIALLY AS WE HAVE A F*CKING KEYBOARD NOW!!!

Ugh, this better not be an exclusive track...

I doubt that the original version would even be usable in Rock Band anyway, exclusive or not. From what I've heard about the song's recording, it was done in one mono take with no overdubs.

Chances that a song from 1964 has usable masters for Rock Band are pretty slim unless you're the Beatles. And even then, there was painstaking additional work needed to further separate the tracks.
  • mec_osmec_os Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    i second the exclusive tracks would be a reason to hate. that would be such a waste for both the user and the artist specially since there is no other instruments.

i'm guessing if it's successful we'll see BassSmisth, DrumSmith, KeyboardSmith and MicrophoneSmith... possibilities are endless with Ubisoft.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    TheGreatDave;4336318 said:
    Rocksmith is an evolution of Guitar Rising, a game which was announced at least as far back as 2008, and supported any guitar. It's safe to say after seeing that those videos back in the day Harmonix were inspired to create pro guitar mode for RB3 in order to stay competitive.

When you think about it, Harmonix kinda stole the idea. Not sure how to feel about this tbh.

First of all, you may just be making an assumption. 2nd I'm sure HMX had at least a glimmer of an idea what GH was doing and RB has no crazy band members morphing into monsters (or whatever the hell they did). 3rd what about pro drums, keyboard and harmonies? 4th The move to RB with real instruments was farely logical unless they wanted to rehash the same game over and over (that job was handled by activision). 5th The only inspiration necessary was a desire to improve the game. Lastly, does it matter? It's not who comes up with the idea, it's who makes it work and does it best that matters.
  • thestickmasterthestickmaster Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Who ever wrote the article about this being the first real guitar game needs to do research before writing next time. *coughrockbandandpowergigcough*

...but, the thing holding me back from buying a pro guitar is that I'd rather use my own guitar instead of buying another one. Too bad I have a Wii so I won't be getting this game at all.
  • theluigi1022theluigi1022 Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    i love how ubisoft must think that not making the game on the wii will make more money for them. not that i would even touch this. plus, it just seems to good to be true that you can plug in "ANY" guitar. not all guitars are the same. or mabye ubisoft can use magic? lol
  • mec_osmec_os Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    thestickmaster;4336421 said:
    Who ever wrote the article about this being the first real guitar game needs to do research before writing next time. *coughrockbandandpowergigcough*

i'm sure they did their research since their wording was very specific. they said "Rocksmith is the first and only game where players can plug ANY guitar with a standard quarter-inch input jack"