Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• yoshifreakyoshifreak Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Rocksmith looks like the kind of game that'd be geared towards people who already have some degree of guitar aptitude as it doesn't seem like their game will be able to track finger placement in real time the same way that RB3 does.
    Still, it'd be interesting to see the kind of tech they use to allow you to play the game with any electric guitar.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    cherokeesam;4335728 said:
    Oh, and LOL at Interpol as Ubi's "weapon of choice" for the promo videos --- yay, I can strum a single string a billion times ad nauseam! Look at me, ma, I'm a frickin' GUITARIST
    I'd say 5-button guitars prepare you pretty well to play Interpol...hold down one fret play it 300 times, switch to another fret playing it 200 times, switch back. Possibly the worst demo video ever, especially if they were trying to demonstrate how the difficulty adjusts (and it seems they were with the 100% complete business).
    TheGreatDave;4336318 said:
    When you think about it, Harmonix kinda stole the idea. Not sure how to feel about this tbh.
    See, on the other hand, I would say HMX had the obvious idea of including a real guitar (along with other real instruments) and took the idea a step farther by creating a real guitar with the technology to sense your hand position and used MIDI to interface so that the tech works flawlessly as part of a game (e.g., you can keep your eye on the screen if your hand position is off and fix it without having to look back and forth between the guitar and screen, it sense the actual frets so your hand position has to be correct, and senses all of this fast enough to display in almost real-time).

I'd say Rocksmith is the obvious thing... make a teaching tool of scrolling tabs that doesn't require special equipment and use what will probably be a super loosey goosey scoring system that they hope is just motivating enough that people won't complain about it until they've sold a bunch of copies.

Look, the game could be fun. Who knows. It hardly matters though. The game will sell because it will be open for all of those people who bought guitars that collect dust and who think a "fun game" might re-inspire them to learn. But there is no doubt in my mind that it won't be 1/4 of the fun that RB3's system is and it won't have nearly the replay value (45 songs and I highly doubt regular DLC, not to mention bass charts or any of the other instruments/vocals).

The uphill battle HMX was always going to have to climb was selling very expensive peripherals to get into pro guitar. What does suck though, is that so many people out there just have absolutely no idea that HMX has pro modes and that includes a pretty decent guitar with some pretty awesome tech. Just makes me wonder if the problem with sales is less about people knowing about RB3 and not caring or if it is more about people just really not knowing.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4335530 said:
    Looks like Slow Hands by Interpol and When I'm With You by Best Coast are in the game.
    GRRRRRR~!!! That's a second game that gets more Interpol before we do (both "Slow Hands")~ and "When I'm With You" is damn awesome.. so unfair~ Does seem interesting, I'll say that much
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2011
    mec_os;4336443 said:
    i'm sure they did their research since their wording was very specific. they said "Rocksmith is the first and only game where players can plug ANY guitar with a standard quarter-inch input jack"

I'm glad someone pointed this out- some game journalism sites are ****ing scum
    The game will feature tracks from The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Interpol and Nirvana among others. Ubisoft is demoing the game this weekend at the South by Southwest festival. It will be playable at La Zona Rosa in Austin, Texas on Thursday, March 17 to Saturday, March 19 from 1-4 p.m.
    http://is.gd/8TLBmf

Should be hearing impressions soon then.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I hope Rocksmith succeeds. The thought of having a game that works with any guitar makes me drool. I look forward to hearing more about this and hope Ubisoft isn't over promising.
  • dansolodansolo Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    The part of the story I like the best is when you get to see people actually playing the game, not just some douchebags talking about it, it is coming out in a few months after all. The concept of this game would be similar to Guitar Hero if Rock Band came first with all instruments and then Guitar Hero came out later with only guitar play. Wait and see, maybe guitarists will like it and Ubisoft will spend tons of money promoting which can only help pro mode for Rock Band 3. At least it doesn't have air drums, 100% of the time that makes my laugh every time.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    mec_os;4336405 said:
    i second the exclusive tracks would be a reason to hate. that would be such a waste for both the user and the artist specially since there is no other instruments.

i'm guessing if it's successful we'll see BassSmisth, DrumSmith, KeyboardSmith and MicrophoneSmith... possibilities are endless with Ubisoft.

don't forget FluteSmith, SaxSmith, TambourineSmith, and CowbellSmith. the possibilities are endless!

and when they get around to some artist-exclusive titles, we could be in for a real treat. i can't wait to learn some tasty Johnny Marr riffs when i get my copy of SmithsSmith.
  • edited March 2011
    From a purely business perspective this is really confusing game. Ubisoft is entering into a declining market space against big-time established competition. And not only that, but there have been numerous "cautionary tales" against this sort of thing in the form of Power Gig and Rock Revolution.

Not only that but the game has significant up front requirements in the form of new hardware, which is difficult to justify in tough economic times. And finally, the trailer seems to target the more hardcore musician crowd specifically... a pretty small and niche audience to begin with. And you've got to think a certain percentage of those people are already in the competitor's camp based on them having a 6-8 month head start.

So just based on those facts on the table, regardless of how good (or not good) the game is, there are significant headwinds against this being a successful (read: profitable) venture.

I saw Child of Eden at PAX East and thought that was a better avenue for someone to take in music games... pairing the music and visuals up in a combat/shooter environment. So to release this as well just strikes me as confusing.
  • ChertensteinChertenstein Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    I don't know if it is just me, but this game looks like it would appeal to these three groups:

1. Already experienced guitar players who don't need instant feedback to help develop muscle memory for chords;

2. People who want to use their own guitars for a game, which does sound cool. I don't see how they could possibly make it work accurately with the tech presented, but I guess we'll see;

3. The misinformed (ala Power Gig).

The whole thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It almost seems like a shameless attempt at cash-grabbing on a current trend. All the information presented in the game seems like it could be done with online tabs and an mp3 player.
    edited March 2011
    Rocksmith Hey everyone. LOVE the enthusiasm and interest. here are a few answers that I can provide right now:

@Marios: As with any real instrument tuning is essential. Rocksmith will help you tune your guitar so you’ll be off and jamming in no time.

@Jeroen: Rocksmith will feature both lead and rhythm, from single notes to complex chords. The game will measure bends and determine the accuracy of your bends. We will also offer alternate tunings in the game for more advanced players.
    From http://facebook.com/RocksmithGame
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    What about vibratos?

I would think that would cause a problem with the game calculating accurate bends or just regular notes in general.
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Apples;4336974 said:
    From a purely business perspective this is really confusing game. Ubisoft is entering into a declining market space against big-time established competition. And not only that, but there have been numerous "cautionary tales" against this sort of thing in the form of Power Gig and Rock Revolution.

Actually, now that I think about it, HMX is the only company that has succeeded in jumping into this specific market, and they did it twice. Neversoft continued an already existing franchise so they didn't have as much difficulty staying in.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Apples;4336974 said:
    Not only that but the game has significant up front requirements in the form of new hardware, which is difficult to justify in tough economic times.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I can see this as being marketed largely toward people who already own guitars, so all you need is the software. I mean, how many people have guitars just sitting around that they don't touch anymore? They can't use it in RB3, but hey, why not try this game out? I think that's going to be the big selling point.
  • BullseyeBullseye Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The fact that they aren't showing us much of the interface makes me believe it's probably a bit lackluster in the features and graphics departments. For now, my take is that Rocksmith looks more like guitar lessons on a game console than a game that you can learn guitar on. That's one advantage of RB3. You can play it as a game and then upgrade to your heart's content and use it as a trainer for learning drums, guitars, keys. I get the impression that there will be no characters to design, rewards to be had, or any of the other cool stuff that RB and GH include-- you know the stuff that motivates most to play games. Maybe if this turns out as a quasi-decent game/experience, RB4 will pick up on anything that Rocksmith brings to the genre.
  • mec_osmec_os Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    there will be rewards. you can unlock guitar amps and sound effects, i don't know what else. there is an audience supposedly that reacts to your performance.

i agree so far it looks more like a lesson than a game. but even with the scoring and unlocking i can't imagine it will be satisfying as a game do to the leniency. it's like pressing A on an fps and automatically getting a head shot, or not even seeing if you hit something or not, just at the end they tell you did
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    skyttskytt;4337149 said:
    I don't think that's necessarily true. I can see this as being marketed largely toward people who already own guitars, so all you need is the software. I mean, how many people have guitars just sitting around that they don't touch anymore? They can't use it in RB3, but hey, why not try this game out? I think that's going to be the big selling point.

That's a good point, but at the same time it seems that it is aimed at new guitarists who most likely don't have a guitar yet. So therefore you need both the hardware and the software, which puts it in a similar boat as RB3 since you also need the hardware. Yes, you can use any guitar for Rocksmith, but the compatibility issues are an unknown at this point until we get to see real demos or can actually try it out. Honestly, even with this advantage, Rocksmith is still, at least from information we have atm, the lesser deal when compared to RB3. HMX has years of experience in this genre, RB3 has guaranteed DLC every week while Rocksmith may not (look at what happened to PG as an example, but not saying its not possible). RB3 also has the option of playing/learning other instruments (not much of an advantage but still a good selling point). Plus, has it been announced if you can play with others yet? If not, another point for RB3, and it also allows you to play as a band.

I don't think we can give it a fair opinion on the game yet, since not much has been revealed, but it doesn't look too good right now. It doesn't look impressive right now, and most people are just going "omg game that teaches you guitar!" without comparing it to existing franchises. However, those that have RB3 and the Squier can add Rocksmith to their arsenal for learning guitar if the game is any good.
    edited March 2011
    well, judging from those promo videos, the game is aimed at at least 3 groups:

1) beginners, i.e. people who don't now play games OR guitar but want to learn guitar
    2) gamers, i.e. people who've been playing GH/RB and now want to learn real guitar
    (the existence of a bundle including an epiphone guitar is for these two groups)

and
    3) musicians, i.e. people who already own a guitar and know how to play, and want a fun way to improve their skills and learn some songs (the ability to play with any guitar is aimed at these people)

so i don't think it's aimed exclusively at one of these groups, but rather they're trying to sell themselves to all. RB3 did the same, by the way. it wouldn't be very smart to create a game that catered to only one of those groups while ignoring or excluding the others. whether there are enough people in all 3 groups combined to make this thing sell very well, that's yet to be seen.
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    The only part that had me, is I can use my real guitar on it... though with out fret sensors how will it know my finger placement? Is the USB (thing) so advance it will detect that as well based on the sound/vibration? Hm... doubt it. If it proves to be as good as it says (when is it ever?) then I might rent it and try it. Though... I doubt I can rent it because I don't see it coming with the USB thing then. I will hold my judgement.

Interesting they praise it so highly, let's see a Rolling Stone artical, and Rolling Stones are in the game. I detect a hint of bias. Also as some people mentioned how much money did this shell out to score them into it? Gone for years from GH and RB, and here they re enter with this. Interesting...
    edited March 2011
    Death50;4337283 said:
    Also as some people mentioned how much money did this shell out to score them into it? Gone for years from GH and RB, and here they re enter with this. Interesting...

Implying that both games were actively trying to get them, and the reason they didn't was because the Rolling Stones wanted more money than either was willing to spend.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2011
    But Rolling Stones have had numerous songs in Guitar Hero, including one in the most recent game.
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4337305 said:
    But Rolling Stones have had numerous songs in Guitar Hero, including one in the most recent game.

But I thought they had been "gone for years" from them.
  • m_estockm_estock Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    I'm interested to see how this will work - using any guitar means that the game uses the note/pitch coming from the guitar and decodes it into game data. I see a ton of problems with this.... For example, if the guitar isn't tuned perfectly to a T then it would throw the game off.

The fact that HMX chose not to do it this way is a big sign that it has problems. I'm sure they entertained the idea.
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4337305 said:

What's a Guitar Hero?
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4337305 said:

Yeah, in GH5 they go Sympathy for the Devil, and I believe on the first week of DLC they got a 5-pack of live songs. Then on Band Hero, They Got Honky Tonk Women and GH6 got Stray Cat Blues.

Needless to say, Rock band needs a huge helping of the 'Stones.
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4336063 said:
    Even article viewers on Youtube are pissed over the lack of mention of the ultimate music game (not PowerGig, no, I'm talking about Rock Band 3).
    Speaking of Youtube, I've been posting quite a lot there about the difference between RB3's pro mode and this game but I could use a little help there. Someone wrote down the Squier, and while he has a valid point that the Squier might not be the best guitar, I'd love to see some other step up and post their impression of the guitar.

BTW, the IQ level of some people there is appalling. Someone claimed that any electric guitar is digital and that it wouldn't be a problem for the xbox to just get the frequency data out without any problems whatsoever.
    edited March 2011
    m_estock;4337364 said:
    I'm interested to see how this will work - using any guitar means that the game uses the note/pitch coming from the guitar and decodes it into game data. I see a ton of problems with this.... For example, if the guitar isn't tuned perfectly to a T then it would throw the game off.

The fact that HMX chose not to do it this way is a big sign that it has problems. I'm sure they entertained the idea.

i'm not sure why having to have your guitar in tune is such a big deal. this is a guitar game, designed to teach people how to play guitar, and tuning your guitar properly before playing is kind of fundamental. when i was first learning to play guitar, my teacher would make sure i tuned my guitar at the start of every lesson. if having to tune before playing your guitar is a problem for you, then that's just laziness.

now, the one area i can see this being a problem is if you have a really cheap guitar with poor intonation. i'm sure the game accounts for some variability in intonation, so if you're off by 10 or 20 cents it can infer what the closest note is and still count it, but if you're intonation is so bad that you're off by a half-step or more, and the guitar is of such poor quality that you can't fix it, then yeah there's a problem, but that's really a problem with your guitar, not with the game.
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    All I can say is if this game gets Clapton instead of Rock Band I will scream. Or cry.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    It's an interesting concept, I'm kind of irritated that people are like OMG THIS REEL GUITAR THIGN IS GUNNA BEAT ROCKBANDZ CRAPPY PRO MODE like they did for Powergig, but it at least sounds like these people are both trying to make an acceptable game, and aren't promoting it as something it's not.

Plus if it actually works with any guitar, not a special new one, that would really be something.
    edited March 2011
    Featuring gameplay that automatically adjusts to the player’s skill level and innovative game design that makes reading music visually fun and intuitive, Rocksmith engages experienced musicians and those who are picking up a guitar for the first time. The game includes a sizeable library of music from classic rock bands to current artists, such as The Animals, The Black Keys, David Bowie, Interpol, Nirvana, and The Rolling Stones,.
    Black Keys confirmed
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2011
    hakko504;4338025 said:
    Speaking of Youtube, I've been posting quite a lot there about the difference between RB3's pro mode and this game but I could use a little help there. Someone wrote down the Squier, and while he has a valid point that the Squier might not be the best guitar, I'd love to see some other step up and post their impression of the guitar.

I've commented on one of the videos about one of your responders. I simply said that it's a real guitar, and I have more, so I cloud learn the songs on RB3 and play them on an amp with one of my other guitars.