Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Somebody posted some Q's and A's that mentioned RockSmith will detect string bends, which should be easy enough through software, but I don't think their software will be advanced enough to do accurate real time chord detection. I predict that the only reason that Wii is being excluded by this game is because the digital sound processing (for the amp and modeling features) is too much for the Wii to handle.
  • mec_osmec_os Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    ^that's what i posted before. sound processing can be very taxing and the wii would lag too much.

i can't imagine the process being any different than garageband's chord trainer. it recognizes chords pretty accurately actually, but it's one chord at a time and i'm sure if you were to strum quickly it wouldn't be able to discern different chords since open strings might still be ringing. it does have a "how am i doing mode" where it scores your performance which i think it's as accurate as this game is gonna get.

i keep seeing a tv ad for a computer game/learning software that sounds pretty much like guitarsmith, but i can never recall the name when i wake up in the morning :P the ads only happen after midnight for some reason.

EDIT: i was gonna say. the guitar adapter has to have some sort of soundcard built in so maybe the wii should still be viable but just got snubbed for being the wii
  • ottopartsottoparts Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    This sounds like another Power Gig to me. There's too many variables involved in processing raw audio and somehow interpreting the guitar's notes from there, and because of that there are too many things that can go wrong.
    And realistically, a video game, striving to be as cheap as possible, is not going to have cutting edge technology. Just take a mid-range guitar tuner, plug in your guitar, and play an open string. Watch it struggle to find the right note before deciding. Then tune your string. Then play a 5th fret harmonic. Off a little? Good luck adjusting your intonation, budding guitar player.

I sense this'll be fairly inaccurate, UNLESS they've invented some new form of interpreting audio signals. I'd love for it to work perfectly, but like someone already said, if it worked perfectly Harmonix wouldn't have spent the time and money developing specific controllers to do the same thing.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2011
    They confirmed there is no bass
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    toymachineSH;4339909 said:
    They confirmed there is no bass

That makes sense. Lowers cost, plus most (not all, before someone quotes me and says OMG I LOVE TO PLAY THE BASS SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG) people are going to play the guitar, and would barely touch the bass.

Doesn't do it any favors, but it's not that bad either.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2011
    I_Love_You;4340306 said:
    That makes sense. Lowers cost, plus most (not all, before someone quotes me and says OMG I LOVE TO PLAY THE BASS SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG) people are going to play the guitar, and would barely touch the bass.

Doesn't do it any favors, but it's not that bad either.

Saying most is far from accurate. Plenty of folks enjoy playing bass, even if guitar is the sexier instrument.

I think it's more programming the extra charts and sound register, along with new visuals. Basically, supporting it or not won't change the success of the game too drasticly, so save the money.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Sad thing being that the game is probably gonna flop anyway. I do kind of hope it's decent though. Might be fun.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'd fear that bass detection would be laggier if they included it.
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    This has potential, but so far I'm not hooked. First of all, we haven't seen any gameplay yet which might be a bad sign. It can be good though, if it has a readable way of showing tabs, good setlist and solid DLC offering (did anyone see DLC mentioned?). Also, the "any guitar" thing seems too good to be true. I trust HMX and if they said it can't be done in a good way, what's changed? I believe it's not going to be very accurate.

Anyway, no other instruments = not as good as RB.
  • edited March 2011
    yaniv297;4342516 said:
    First of all, we haven't seen any gameplay yet which might be a bad sign.

I think it is. The game is suppose to come out in September they should have some sort of gameplay footage by now and maybe like 4 or 5 actual songs instead of just artist. All i've seen so far is just people plugging in guitars.

I have no interest unless it has 5 button charts as well. I have the Mustang and can not get the hang of it for the life of me, so i have lost interest in learning the real guitar (but i'm loving pro-keys!)

If its anything like Rock Revolution or Power Gig it will have a week or 2 of DLC and then shoot down to $5 so (providing it has 5 button chords (or even works with the mustang)) I might get it then
  • princessjessa13princessjessa13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4342826 said:
    I think it is. The game is suppose to come out in September they should have some sort of gameplay footage by now and maybe like 4 or 5 actual songs instead of just artist. All i've seen so far is just people plugging in guitars.

I have no interest unless it has 5 button charts as well. I have the Mustang and can not get the hang of it for the life of me, so i have lost interest in learning the real guitar (but i'm loving pro-keys!)

If its anything like Rock Revolution or Power Gig it will have a week or 2 of DLC and then shoot down to $5 so (providing it has 5 button chords (or even works with the mustang)) I might get it then

Yeahhhh... I don't think this is a game so much as an additional way to to access and learn guitar tabs. So yeah, no 5-button crap. I don't think this will be for you.
    edited March 2011
    http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2011/03/rocksmith.php

Rolling Stones track is "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Also they kind of mention DLC possibilities
  • princessjessa13princessjessa13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I'm actually kinda looking forward to this. My summer project is to work on RB3's pro-guitar goals. I should be getting the Squier about mid-April, just in time for the end of classes [god piss Canada! >_< lol] and this Rocksmith thing comes out at a good time. By September, I should be somewhat proficient at basic guitar playing [if all goes according to plan], and this instant-feedback, guitar-tab provider will supplement my guitar experience.

I see this as being an additional tool in self-learning guitar, not as a replacement for RB or GH. I will always keep RB around for when I'm chilling with friends. When it comes to friends, nothing beats those 5-buttons.
    edited March 2011
    I think they're setting the bar really high to be offering "infinite" amounts DLC, but that could be a misquote by that article's author.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4343615 said:
    I think they're setting the bar really high to be offering "infinite" amounts DLC, but that could be a misquote by that article's author.

even if they did manage to have "infinite" DLC, there would still be people whining on their message board about wanting MOAR MUSE
  • mec_osmec_os Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    lol, there is actually an app for this

http://www.rockprodigy.com/
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    mec_os;4344538 said:
    lol, there is actually an app for this

http://www.rockprodigy.com/

WOW, just took a look at that and sure enough,you are correct! Crazyness.
    edited March 2011
    That does look like it would work nicely, but even on an iPad, I can't help but think it would be hard to see/use while both of your hands were busy with a guitar.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4344624 said:
    That does look like it would work nicely, but even on an iPad, I can't help but think it would be hard to see/use while both of your hands were busy with a guitar.

Im sure you can connect your i pad into a TV. Can't you?
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't know. I can ask my room mate, but I bet you have to buy a $100 cable to do it.
  • Ranger DRanger D Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    princessjessa13;4343608 said:
    When it comes to friends, nothing beats those 5-buttons.

This is a key point. Rock Band is universal that anyone can come over and jam together and have fun. This 'game' isn't like that...unless of course everyone knows how to play a real guitar....or own a real guitar.

For that matter, wonder how in depth multi player can even be?
  • RRhoadsRRhoads Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    I think the success of this game only relies on how many songs they will be able to have for download.

As a guitar player, this game sounds great. I have three $2000 guitars, so I'm a little hesistant to buy a cheap Squire to play the Pro mode in RB3. With this game, I can use the guitars I really love, and am familiar with.

Been talking to a lot of other guitar players, who doesn't play RB, and most of them sound pretty excited about this game. The fact that you don't have to pay for a bundle with a guitar if you already have one is a huge plus. It's also coming out on PC.

I don't think this game will compete with the RB-series so much, as it will be more of a guitar teaching tool than a game, whereas the RB-series is more of a game. You have to remember that most of the people that play RB3 don't have a Squire to go with it.

If Ubisoft plays their cards right, they will not only sell this game through where you usually buy games. They should also try to sell it through guitar stores. Put up stands where you can actually try the game. If they do this, and the downloadable tracks are there, this will be a huge seller.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Ranger D;4345183 said:
    This is a key point. Rock Band is universal that anyone can come over and jam together and have fun. This 'game' isn't like that...unless of course everyone knows how to play a real guitar....or own a real guitar.

For that matter, wonder how in depth multi player can even be?

Has anything even been said about there being a multiplayer? I assumed it was singleplayer, since it's only guitar charts. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be marketed as a party game, but rather "learn guitar."
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited March 2011
    What I'm more worried about is this being associated as a Rock Band title like Band Hero was. Seriously Rock Smith is very similar and if its only guitar, why wouldn't they call it Guitarsmith? Guitar isn't the only rock instrument.
    edited March 2011
    Will there be multiplayer?

Absolutely. But we can’t reveal everything just yet. More on this to come.
    Witticus;4345703 said:
    What I'm more worried about is this being associated as a Rock Band title like Band Hero was. Seriously Rock Smith is very similar and if its only guitar, why wouldn't they call it Guitarsmith? Guitar isn't the only rock instrument.

Authentic Guitar Games.

Plural... There will be more lol
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited March 2011
    toymachineSH;4345704 said:
    Will there be multiplayer?

Absolutely. But we can’t reveal everything just yet. More on this to come.

Weird, I can honestly only see competitive modes if all they're doing is guitar charts, unless they do rhythm+lead.
  • ChodTheWackoChodTheWacko Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Here's a wild idea -

Perhaps the game doesn't convert pitch to note at all.
    Perhaps it's the other way around - the game itself knows the sound wave for
    each note/chord.

Then it just listens for the sound wave coming in through the input and does
    a diff, and your accuracy is based on that.

Tablature doesn't have much point if the game can't detect what string/fret you are plucking anyway.

- Frank
    edited March 2011
    That could explain why the sound/frequency levels were at the top of some screenshots I've seen. It might be comparing the input against the correct frequencies it's expecting. I'll admit this is probably the more reliable way to do it, compared to the old fashioned frequency analysis.
  • RRhoadsRRhoads Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    ChodTheWacko;4347195 said:
    Here's a wild idea -

Perhaps the game doesn't convert pitch to note at all.
    Perhaps it's the other way around - the game itself knows the sound wave for
    each note/chord.

Then it just listens for the sound wave coming in through the input and does
    a diff, and your accuracy is based on that.

Tablature doesn't have much point if the game can't detect what string/fret you are plucking anyway.

- Frank
    If the game knows which octave and note you play, it will also know which string and fret you are playing.

The same octaves can be found several places on the guitar, but if you play the correct note on the correct octave, it will still be correct. It will only make the coming notes a lot harder to play, but it will still be correct.
  • BluestreakBluestreak Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    I guess some people could call this game a live version of GH3, without the bass unless it will be included in the game. No characters, stages, money, basically what music games out now has to offer. This game does exactly what it offers: Teaching players how to play for real, a lot better than what RB3 Pro has out now. Especially that Rocksmith offers Lead and Rhythm guitar tracks, which suits bands such as Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, The Sword, Slipknot, DragonForce, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Avenged Sevenfold or The Big 4.

Still early on the game's development but so many choice on what songs this game should include. Run to the Hills, Bass Players? Copying Steve Harris would be nighon impossible.