Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4337305 said:
    But Rolling Stones have had numerous songs in Guitar Hero, including one in the most recent game.

What's a Guitar Hero?
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4337305 said:
    But Rolling Stones have had numerous songs in Guitar Hero, including one in the most recent game.

Yeah, in GH5 they go Sympathy for the Devil, and I believe on the first week of DLC they got a 5-pack of live songs. Then on Band Hero, They Got Honky Tonk Women and GH6 got Stray Cat Blues.

Needless to say, Rock band needs a huge helping of the 'Stones.
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    LiveHomeVideo;4336063 said:
    Even article viewers on Youtube are pissed over the lack of mention of the ultimate music game (not PowerGig, no, I'm talking about Rock Band 3).
    Speaking of Youtube, I've been posting quite a lot there about the difference between RB3's pro mode and this game but I could use a little help there. Someone wrote down the Squier, and while he has a valid point that the Squier might not be the best guitar, I'd love to see some other step up and post their impression of the guitar.

BTW, the IQ level of some people there is appalling. Someone claimed that any electric guitar is digital and that it wouldn't be a problem for the xbox to just get the frequency data out without any problems whatsoever.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    m_estock;4337364 said:
    I'm interested to see how this will work - using any guitar means that the game uses the note/pitch coming from the guitar and decodes it into game data. I see a ton of problems with this.... For example, if the guitar isn't tuned perfectly to a T then it would throw the game off.

The fact that HMX chose not to do it this way is a big sign that it has problems. I'm sure they entertained the idea.

i'm not sure why having to have your guitar in tune is such a big deal. this is a guitar game, designed to teach people how to play guitar, and tuning your guitar properly before playing is kind of fundamental. when i was first learning to play guitar, my teacher would make sure i tuned my guitar at the start of every lesson. if having to tune before playing your guitar is a problem for you, then that's just laziness.

now, the one area i can see this being a problem is if you have a really cheap guitar with poor intonation. i'm sure the game accounts for some variability in intonation, so if you're off by 10 or 20 cents it can infer what the closest note is and still count it, but if you're intonation is so bad that you're off by a half-step or more, and the guitar is of such poor quality that you can't fix it, then yeah there's a problem, but that's really a problem with your guitar, not with the game.
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    All I can say is if this game gets Clapton instead of Rock Band I will scream. Or cry.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    It's an interesting concept, I'm kind of irritated that people are like OMG THIS REEL GUITAR THIGN IS GUNNA BEAT ROCKBANDZ CRAPPY PRO MODE like they did for Powergig, but it at least sounds like these people are both trying to make an acceptable game, and aren't promoting it as something it's not.

Plus if it actually works with any guitar, not a special new one, that would really be something.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Featuring gameplay that automatically adjusts to the player’s skill level and innovative game design that makes reading music visually fun and intuitive, Rocksmith engages experienced musicians and those who are picking up a guitar for the first time. The game includes a sizeable library of music from classic rock bands to current artists, such as The Animals, The Black Keys, David Bowie, Interpol, Nirvana, and The Rolling Stones,.
    Black Keys confirmed
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 2011
    hakko504;4338025 said:
    Speaking of Youtube, I've been posting quite a lot there about the difference between RB3's pro mode and this game but I could use a little help there. Someone wrote down the Squier, and while he has a valid point that the Squier might not be the best guitar, I'd love to see some other step up and post their impression of the guitar.

I've commented on one of the videos about one of your responders. I simply said that it's a real guitar, and I have more, so I cloud learn the songs on RB3 and play them on an amp with one of my other guitars.
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    abynormal;4338184 said:
    All I can say is if this game gets Clapton instead of Rock Band I will scream. Or cry.

He has already made that mistake once with Power Gig, I hope he is smart enough not to make it again. I really hope he comes to Rock Band, I just hope the exclusivity agreement he signed won't last to long.
  • V4VendettaV4Vendetta Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    PC?! Ahhhh, fresh booty me mates!
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited March 2011
    If it turns out good, I might pick it up. Says it can use any guitar, so that's cool.
  • Herr_BassHerr_Bass Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    tnevaker;4336907 said:
    don't forget FluteSmith, SaxSmith, TambourineSmith, and CowbellSmith. the possibilities are endless!

and when they get around to some artist-exclusive titles, we could be in for a real treat. i can't wait to learn some tasty Johnny Marr riffs when i get my copy of SmithsSmith.

LOL, I can't wait to pick up my copy of SmithsSmith.
  • Chemical PhoenixChemical Phoenix Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I will say this if the game works anything like RB3's Pro mode (and as intended) there will be comments as to why RB3 doesn't support the use of a real guitar as opposed to guitars made for the game. I think I'll wait until more is known and more screenshots appear before I make any judgment.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2011
    abynormal;4338184 said:

Again, since the masters may not be in play, licensing for this game my be cheaper, which may open up some bigger names, and keep the costs down which will help make the game turn a profit.
    edited March 2011
    Chemical Phoenix;4339002 said:
    I will say this if the game works anything like RB3's Pro mode (and as intended) there will be comments as to why RB3 doesn't support the use of a real guitar as opposed to guitars made for the game. I think I'll wait until more is known and more screenshots appear before I make any judgment.

The thing RB3 has that this game can't is real time correct fretting guidance, because there's no finger sensors in the fret.
  • Chemical PhoenixChemical Phoenix Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Bront20;4339034 said:
    The thing RB3 has that this game can't is real time correct fretting guidance, because there's no finger sensors in the fret.
    Well yes but obviously this game has a method of knowing what you're doing unless this game is literally just a tab but it looks like there is a scoring method from what I understand. Like I said I'm waiting for more info before I make any final judgments.

Honestly the lack of RB in these articles is a good thing because you're gonna get a bunch of people who will say "This game lets me snap in a real guitar while I have to buy one made for the game for Rock Band 3".
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Somebody posted some Q's and A's that mentioned RockSmith will detect string bends, which should be easy enough through software, but I don't think their software will be advanced enough to do accurate real time chord detection. I predict that the only reason that Wii is being excluded by this game is because the digital sound processing (for the amp and modeling features) is too much for the Wii to handle.
  • mec_osmec_os Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    ^that's what i posted before. sound processing can be very taxing and the wii would lag too much.

i can't imagine the process being any different than garageband's chord trainer. it recognizes chords pretty accurately actually, but it's one chord at a time and i'm sure if you were to strum quickly it wouldn't be able to discern different chords since open strings might still be ringing. it does have a "how am i doing mode" where it scores your performance which i think it's as accurate as this game is gonna get.

i keep seeing a tv ad for a computer game/learning software that sounds pretty much like guitarsmith, but i can never recall the name when i wake up in the morning :P the ads only happen after midnight for some reason.

EDIT: i was gonna say. the guitar adapter has to have some sort of soundcard built in so maybe the wii should still be viable but just got snubbed for being the wii
  • ottopartsottoparts Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    This sounds like another Power Gig to me. There's too many variables involved in processing raw audio and somehow interpreting the guitar's notes from there, and because of that there are too many things that can go wrong.
    And realistically, a video game, striving to be as cheap as possible, is not going to have cutting edge technology. Just take a mid-range guitar tuner, plug in your guitar, and play an open string. Watch it struggle to find the right note before deciding. Then tune your string. Then play a 5th fret harmonic. Off a little? Good luck adjusting your intonation, budding guitar player.

I sense this'll be fairly inaccurate, UNLESS they've invented some new form of interpreting audio signals. I'd love for it to work perfectly, but like someone already said, if it worked perfectly Harmonix wouldn't have spent the time and money developing specific controllers to do the same thing.
    edited March 2011
    They confirmed there is no bass
    edited March 2011
    toymachineSH;4339909 said:
    They confirmed there is no bass

That makes sense. Lowers cost, plus most (not all, before someone quotes me and says OMG I LOVE TO PLAY THE BASS SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG) people are going to play the guitar, and would barely touch the bass.

Doesn't do it any favors, but it's not that bad either.
    edited March 2011
    I_Love_You;4340306 said:
    That makes sense. Lowers cost, plus most (not all, before someone quotes me and says OMG I LOVE TO PLAY THE BASS SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG) people are going to play the guitar, and would barely touch the bass.

Doesn't do it any favors, but it's not that bad either.

Saying most is far from accurate. Plenty of folks enjoy playing bass, even if guitar is the sexier instrument.

I think it's more programming the extra charts and sound register, along with new visuals. Basically, supporting it or not won't change the success of the game too drasticly, so save the money.
    edited March 2011
    Sad thing being that the game is probably gonna flop anyway. I do kind of hope it's decent though. Might be fun.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'd fear that bass detection would be laggier if they included it.
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    This has potential, but so far I'm not hooked. First of all, we haven't seen any gameplay yet which might be a bad sign. It can be good though, if it has a readable way of showing tabs, good setlist and solid DLC offering (did anyone see DLC mentioned?). Also, the "any guitar" thing seems too good to be true. I trust HMX and if they said it can't be done in a good way, what's changed? I believe it's not going to be very accurate.

Anyway, no other instruments = not as good as RB.
  • edited March 2011
    yaniv297;4342516 said:
    First of all, we haven't seen any gameplay yet which might be a bad sign.

I think it is. The game is suppose to come out in September they should have some sort of gameplay footage by now and maybe like 4 or 5 actual songs instead of just artist. All i've seen so far is just people plugging in guitars.

I have no interest unless it has 5 button charts as well. I have the Mustang and can not get the hang of it for the life of me, so i have lost interest in learning the real guitar (but i'm loving pro-keys!)

If its anything like Rock Revolution or Power Gig it will have a week or 2 of DLC and then shoot down to $5 so (providing it has 5 button chords (or even works with the mustang)) I might get it then
  • princessjessa13princessjessa13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    MagicMurderBag7;4342826 said:
    I think it is. The game is suppose to come out in September they should have some sort of gameplay footage by now and maybe like 4 or 5 actual songs instead of just artist. All i've seen so far is just people plugging in guitars.

I have no interest unless it has 5 button charts as well. I have the Mustang and can not get the hang of it for the life of me, so i have lost interest in learning the real guitar (but i'm loving pro-keys!)

If its anything like Rock Revolution or Power Gig it will have a week or 2 of DLC and then shoot down to $5 so (providing it has 5 button chords (or even works with the mustang)) I might get it then

Yeahhhh... I don't think this is a game so much as an additional way to to access and learn guitar tabs. So yeah, no 5-button crap. I don't think this will be for you.
    edited March 2011
    http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2011/03/rocksmith.php

Rolling Stones track is "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Also they kind of mention DLC possibilities
  • princessjessa13princessjessa13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I'm actually kinda looking forward to this. My summer project is to work on RB3's pro-guitar goals. I should be getting the Squier about mid-April, just in time for the end of classes [god piss Canada! >_< lol] and this Rocksmith thing comes out at a good time. By September, I should be somewhat proficient at basic guitar playing [if all goes according to plan], and this instant-feedback, guitar-tab provider will supplement my guitar experience.

I see this as being an additional tool in self-learning guitar, not as a replacement for RB or GH. I will always keep RB around for when I'm chilling with friends. When it comes to friends, nothing beats those 5-buttons.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I think they're setting the bar really high to be offering "infinite" amounts DLC, but that could be a misquote by that article's author.