Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    The notes show up as an exact mirror image of your actual hand placement as you hold the guitar. In other threads I've argued quite strongly that a horizontal scroll (with a mirrored design) is the way RB should have gone. This is an interesting mix of horizontal/vertical and actually gives time it's own dimension. The only real downfall I can see to that is having trouble differentiating the "height" of the notes for different strings (which are close together relative to fret spacing), but they handled that by making the strings different colors. That will take a bit of getting used to since in RB a color change is always a horizontal movement, not a vertical one.

I actually grabbed my guitar to play along to the video... and I sure felt like it was much more intuitive. The timing may be a little "sloppier" to know precisely from the video, but you should be using your ears for that anyway...

I'm sure someone will say I'm just seeing what I want to see, but this was the first video I've seen where I actually got a good look at the full screen... and I'm definitely more excited for this game than I was.

I just really wish other companies would stop putting out press and ads basically denying the existence of anything HMX has done in the last 6 years of music gaming. It does get really old.
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    The interface looks kind of strange.
    The "House of the Rising Sun" part looks like they just throw chord forms at you.
    I also have yet to see how the guitar interacts with it other than amplifying through the speakers.
    Overall, I'm interested.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2011
    The interface looks like it can work better than Rock Band's take on Pro Guitar. (I'm not a fan on how Rock Band jams the chord numbering within 6 lanes).

The bands they're presenting in their setlist are a definite plusGettingTheAnimalsBeforeUs****You!but after Power Gig revealed their last bits of their setlist, I can guarantee there will be filler-esque songs to come in the end.

They're definitely less reckless than Power Gig so far, but lets see. Still early in the game.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    The obvious downfall of this is band play. However a guitar player might enjoy it. I may enjoy it too and I just want to learn. If RB can fix their online band matchmaking issues, then just being a solo artist wouldn't seem so fun.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Tego1in;4369209 said:
    The interface looks kind of strange.
    The "House of the Rising Sun" part looks like they just throw chord forms at you.
    I also have yet to see how the guitar interacts with it other than amplifying through the speakers.
    Overall, I'm interested.

I assume that they're showing a lower difficulty level, in which you'd just be playing the chord (for practice), rather than playing it arpegiated (I think that's the right work). But I dunno for sure.
  • thestickmasterthestickmaster Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    About the video posted last page:

1. I bet all those people were paid to say that it's so awesome
    2. or they've never heard of Rock Band 3 (especially that guy at the end)

Also, the note chart looks ridiculously confusing.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    thestickmaster;4369280 said:
    About the video posted last page:

1. I bet all those people were paid to say that it's so awesome
    2. or they've never heard of Rock Band 3 (especially that guy at the end)

Also, the note chart looks ridiculously confusing.

Quite possibly both. I mean, people said Powergig was awesome too so......

Although I like the note chart set up.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2011
    skyttskytt;4368963 said:
    Yeah, the interface looks a little awkward, but I have a feeling I'll pick it up after actually playing with it. I'm wondering how much of the actual songs they chart, since it looked like occasional notes when playing chords, and a fair amount/everything when playing individual notes. That interface could get pretty overwhelming on faster, chord-shift-heavy songs.

I'm guessing that was a difficulty issue. Different difficulty or different settings might come across differently.

But yeah, that looked pretty confusing, but I've never touched a real guitar in any credible manner in 20 years.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    Bront20;4369363 said:
    I'm guessing that was a difficulty issue. Different difficulty or different settings might come across differently.
    Close. Rocksmith does it so if you miss = less notes. Combo = more notes.

So, it won't teach you worth ****, because you'll have a half-assed chart if you miss a bit.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited April 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4369576 said:
    Close. Rocksmith does it so if you miss = less notes. Combo = more notes.

So, it won't teach you worth ****, because you'll have a half-assed chart if you miss a bit.

To be fair though that hasn't been fully explained- There is probably a way to just play the "expert" chart.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited April 2011
    I'd be shocked if there wasn't a no-fail mode implemented to play the real thing for the entire song
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone know if this is using the masters and cutting out instruments because if it isn't they just have to license the song and the tab which is much easier for getting songs and ones that might have tracks doubled up (satisfaction and house of the rising sun).
    edited April 2011
    General Lein979;4369714 said:
    Does anyone know if this is using the masters and cutting out instruments because if it isn't they just have to license the song and the tab which is much easier for getting songs and ones that might have tracks doubled up (satisfaction and house of the rising sun).
    Who's gonna buy a game that only has guitar audio?
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4369723 said:

"Not me," the primarily drum player said.

I'm trying to learn to play the guitar with the Squier, but I have at least twice as much as that thing than I have invested in my FrankenIon drums.
    edited April 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4369723 said:

Someone who only wants to learn the guitar.

It seems like a lot of people are missing the point of this game. The point of this game is to teach you to play guitar (or provide you a motivation to practice more) in a fun setting, and without having to buy an expensive peripheral if you already own a guitar.

This game is not intended to compete in the band game space. And as for it not having a lot of the "game" features considered somewhat standard for next-gen consoles (e.g., online play, multiplayer), all of that is just fine if it does one thing well... provides a fun way to practice. Without having tracks that drop audio and only having a guitar chart simplifies the licensing, the acquisition of songs with bad master stems, and will allow them to churn out content very cheaply.

Lower overhead will create a big profit margin, which means that this game will not have to sell nearly as much as RB3 in order for it to be a financial success.

I think it is clear to see from this thread that it is definitely going to do better than powergig as long as the scoring tech is not absolutely terrible.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Didn't they say it would have multiplayer? Multiplayer lead and rhythm guitar could be pretty nice.
    edited April 2011
    raynebc;4370129 said:
    Didn't they say it would have multiplayer? Multiplayer lead and rhythm guitar could be pretty nice.
    I'm not sure about local multiplayer... but what I meant was online multiplayer. I think there is no online at all if the info I got was correct.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over that lack of a feature. I'd be most likely to use this game solo to learn songs that I could then go and play with real musician friends.

Multiplayer with multiple guitar parts would probably be fun, but I think everyone needs to remember that the possibility of sight-reading hard charts at full difficulty is just basically out of the question. So, you'd probably be better to have the freedom to learn on your own and THEN get together with your friend and play together (again, outside of the game).
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    yeah, that guitar chart they're using is.... interesting. just on first glance, i don't like it as much as RB3's pro charts. trying to match up those gems to the string/frets just looks confusing to me. at least in RB3 you can turn on chord numbering and you get the actual fret numbers coming at you (unless it's an arpeggio *sigh*). not that RB3 is all that bad, but they had to make certain compromises to make the charts work within the game setting, with other instruments/charts displaying, etc. this game doesn't need to make those compromises, and yet they come up with a more confusing chart. i just don't understand. what's so bad with just putting some horizontal scrolling tab? why do all these games feel like they need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to guitar charting?

i guess all those people hoping for a horizontal scrolling guitar chart in this game are going to be disappointed.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Have some hope regarding arpeggios. Pope just started asking about it on Friday in the official arpeggios WTF thread. Still fact gathering I gather.
    edited April 2011
    tnevaker;4370747 said:
    i guess all those people hoping for a horizontal scrolling guitar chart in this game are going to be disappointed.
    In fairness, Rocksmith used a 3-D representation of the notes to represent a 3-D problem (horizontal, vertical, and time). It isn't a straight horizontal scroll, but RB's notation uses chord shapes popping out of the TV to represent frets, which isn't really intuitive either.

I think, in the end, everyone is going to have their own thoughts about what really makes the most sense. What I like about Rocksmith is that the notes light up on the fret board exactly mirrored to where your hand needs to be... and your fret board is static in real life.

Honestly, I'd need a few hours with any kind of notation to really decide what I like best. What I do know is that I've spent some hours with RB's and I'm still having a lot of confusion, which makes me quite certain some other notation would be better. I could assume that HMX did that testing and chose the best option, but I also could assume that some practical limitations played into the final decision (e.g., fitting it into the screen space for a full band).

This is all why I keep coming back to allowing us to have options...
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    HeyRiles;4369600 said:
    I'd be shocked if there wasn't a no-fail mode implemented to play the real thing for the entire song
    I think they already said that it won't be possible to fail. It seems like scoring is secondary here, and the playing and effects will be the main selling point here.

Though I'm a bit sad that there doesn't seem to be any bass in the game. Would have bought one of these: http://a2.images1.thomann.de/pics/prod/242851.jpg just to play along with.
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    http://www.1up.com/news/rocksmith-turns-guitar-game-controller

As you can see from that link, there's a video, and a bit of text below to explain. Anyway, as you know Rock Band has "Pro Mode" for Guitar, etc. But it's the Pro Guitar that seems to be causing some problems, like trying to purcuse one in a certain country/area. But from the looks of things from this game Rocksmith, the only Guitar based game, seeming like a step-back, and is for Drummers and the likes, but to people who haven't got a Pro Guitar, and does have a Real Guitar, what Rocksmith have done is you can use your own real Guitar for the game. I find it a great thing, that Rock Band should of done. Peoples thoughts?
    edited April 2011
    But you have the WRONG idea for where to put this topic.
    edited April 2011
    Where would I put the topic then? It's not about the game in general, just about how you can use your own Guitar you have at home, instead of blowing more money on a Guitar to use for "Pro Mode" on Rock Band.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    I think you've really jumped the gun. I find it impossible that they've integrated the same level of feedback for hand placement etc that Rock Band offers and they've yet to really show anything meaningful in terms of interfaces or actual in game mechanics. Right now it's lots of talk and little action.

Edit: You could put it in the general section where a Rocksmith thread is already located.
    edited April 2011
    Catch-22;4371912 said:
    I think you've really jumped the gun. I find it impossible that they've integrated the same level of feedback for hand placement etc that Rock Band offers and they've yet to really show anything meaningful in terms of interfaces or actual in game mechanics. Right now it's lots of talk and little action.

Edit: You could put it in the general section where a Rocksmith thread is already located.

There's gameplay videos of it up, and I think it could work. Like, it's the whole point that at the moment, it seems to work, and it has the chance to. You can't just shoot down a game cause you find it "impossible", it's not impossible, and could work. I love Rock Band, but it offers a better way to "Learn" real Guitar if you want, off a game, if you already had a real Guitar, and not spending more money on another Guitar, to try learn real Guitar off a game. It's impressive what they have shown in my view.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited April 2011
    Are you from Ubisoft?
    edited April 2011
    hakko504;4371454 said:
    I think they already said that it won't be possible to fail. It seems like scoring is secondary here, and the playing and effects will be the main selling point here.

Though I'm a bit sad that there doesn't seem to be any bass in the game. Would have bought one of these: http://a2.images1.thomann.de/pics/prod/242851.jpg just to play along with.

I'd rather them focus on a primary single Instrument at one time, in a game. Then have them trying to give every Instrument a "realistic/Pro mode" and give a half assed effort to some instruments.
    edited April 2011
    dog037;4371922 said:
    Are you from Ubisoft?

Oh look, another person who only will play Rock Band, and never give another game a chance! :)
    edited April 2011
    I still haven't heard you give one reason why you think plugging in your real guitar will somehow give an optimal playing experience(lag and detection-wise), so I find it funny you're attacking other people.