Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    yeah, that guitar chart they're using is.... interesting. just on first glance, i don't like it as much as RB3's pro charts. trying to match up those gems to the string/frets just looks confusing to me. at least in RB3 you can turn on chord numbering and you get the actual fret numbers coming at you (unless it's an arpeggio *sigh*). not that RB3 is all that bad, but they had to make certain compromises to make the charts work within the game setting, with other instruments/charts displaying, etc. this game doesn't need to make those compromises, and yet they come up with a more confusing chart. i just don't understand. what's so bad with just putting some horizontal scrolling tab? why do all these games feel like they need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to guitar charting?

i guess all those people hoping for a horizontal scrolling guitar chart in this game are going to be disappointed.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Have some hope regarding arpeggios. Pope just started asking about it on Friday in the official arpeggios WTF thread. Still fact gathering I gather.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    tnevaker;4370747 said:
    i guess all those people hoping for a horizontal scrolling guitar chart in this game are going to be disappointed.
    In fairness, Rocksmith used a 3-D representation of the notes to represent a 3-D problem (horizontal, vertical, and time). It isn't a straight horizontal scroll, but RB's notation uses chord shapes popping out of the TV to represent frets, which isn't really intuitive either.

I think, in the end, everyone is going to have their own thoughts about what really makes the most sense. What I like about Rocksmith is that the notes light up on the fret board exactly mirrored to where your hand needs to be... and your fret board is static in real life.

Honestly, I'd need a few hours with any kind of notation to really decide what I like best. What I do know is that I've spent some hours with RB's and I'm still having a lot of confusion, which makes me quite certain some other notation would be better. I could assume that HMX did that testing and chose the best option, but I also could assume that some practical limitations played into the final decision (e.g., fitting it into the screen space for a full band).

This is all why I keep coming back to allowing us to have options...
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    HeyRiles;4369600 said:
    I'd be shocked if there wasn't a no-fail mode implemented to play the real thing for the entire song
    I think they already said that it won't be possible to fail. It seems like scoring is secondary here, and the playing and effects will be the main selling point here.

Though I'm a bit sad that there doesn't seem to be any bass in the game. Would have bought one of these: http://a2.images1.thomann.de/pics/prod/242851.jpg just to play along with.
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    http://www.1up.com/news/rocksmith-turns-guitar-game-controller

As you can see from that link, there's a video, and a bit of text below to explain. Anyway, as you know Rock Band has "Pro Mode" for Guitar, etc. But it's the Pro Guitar that seems to be causing some problems, like trying to purcuse one in a certain country/area. But from the looks of things from this game Rocksmith, the only Guitar based game, seeming like a step-back, and is for Drummers and the likes, but to people who haven't got a Pro Guitar, and does have a Real Guitar, what Rocksmith have done is you can use your own real Guitar for the game. I find it a great thing, that Rock Band should of done. Peoples thoughts?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    But you have the WRONG idea for where to put this topic.
    edited April 2011
    Where would I put the topic then? It's not about the game in general, just about how you can use your own Guitar you have at home, instead of blowing more money on a Guitar to use for "Pro Mode" on Rock Band.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    I think you've really jumped the gun. I find it impossible that they've integrated the same level of feedback for hand placement etc that Rock Band offers and they've yet to really show anything meaningful in terms of interfaces or actual in game mechanics. Right now it's lots of talk and little action.

Edit: You could put it in the general section where a Rocksmith thread is already located.
    edited April 2011
    Catch-22;4371912 said:
    I think you've really jumped the gun. I find it impossible that they've integrated the same level of feedback for hand placement etc that Rock Band offers and they've yet to really show anything meaningful in terms of interfaces or actual in game mechanics. Right now it's lots of talk and little action.

Edit: You could put it in the general section where a Rocksmith thread is already located.

There's gameplay videos of it up, and I think it could work. Like, it's the whole point that at the moment, it seems to work, and it has the chance to. You can't just shoot down a game cause you find it "impossible", it's not impossible, and could work. I love Rock Band, but it offers a better way to "Learn" real Guitar if you want, off a game, if you already had a real Guitar, and not spending more money on another Guitar, to try learn real Guitar off a game. It's impressive what they have shown in my view.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited April 2011
    Are you from Ubisoft?
    edited April 2011
    hakko504;4371454 said:
    I think they already said that it won't be possible to fail. It seems like scoring is secondary here, and the playing and effects will be the main selling point here.

Though I'm a bit sad that there doesn't seem to be any bass in the game. Would have bought one of these: http://a2.images1.thomann.de/pics/prod/242851.jpg just to play along with.

I'd rather them focus on a primary single Instrument at one time, in a game. Then have them trying to give every Instrument a "realistic/Pro mode" and give a half assed effort to some instruments.
    edited April 2011
    dog037;4371922 said:
    Are you from Ubisoft?

Oh look, another person who only will play Rock Band, and never give another game a chance! :)
    edited April 2011
    I still haven't heard you give one reason why you think plugging in your real guitar will somehow give an optimal playing experience(lag and detection-wise), so I find it funny you're attacking other people.
    edited April 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4371926 said:
    so I find it funny you're attacking other people.
    You know, that's ironic coming from you.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371908 said:
    Peoples thoughts?

That English is clearly not your first language.

That's all. Nothing more, and nothing less.
  • twilight klaastwilight klaas Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    seems interesting, lets just wait til we play it though. I am playing pro guitar now in rb3 and its pretty amazing, so im pretty satisfied, but if this new game works, since I have a gibson, i'll probably give it a try, but I still love all the dlc for rb.
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371932 said:
    Thanks for proving my point.
    edited April 2011
    SheSaidSheSaid;4371933 said:
    That English is clearly not your first language.

That's all. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Thanks.
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371908 said:
    Peoples thoughts?

First, this is old news. Second, from the videos I've seen the "gameplay" looks terrible and confusing. It looks like it would only be good for someone who already has experience with guitar. Plus, from those videos and statements it doesn't look like the game visually nor audibly tells you if you've missed something, and the "auto difficulty" doesn't count. That just sounds terrible. If I want to practice a song I want at least most control over what I'm practicing, not something that changes the song mid game to something simpler. If I want simpler I'll reduce difficulty or change songs.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371919 said:
    but it offers a better way to "Learn" real Guitar if you want

Explain how it is better.
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    I plan on trying Rocksmith, and I play Pro Guitar on RB3. There are clearly going to be some big trade-offs in Rocksmith to get to play an existing guitar that RB3 doesn't have to contend with. FIrst of all, as mentioned above, RB3 offers realtime hand placement feedback that this game won't. The second, probably bigger issue, is that the game seems to listen to the notes being played, meaning if the song isn't in standard tuning, that'll be a bit of a pain to pick up and play.

I'm excited to try it, but I would be wary before deciding that this is going to be a better/friendlier system than Pro Guitar.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371932 said:
    He may come off as a douche, but at least he does so in a way that contributes to the topic at hand.

Without the sensors, the game can't show you where your fingers are (by the way, I can't find any gameplay videos that might prove me wrong). Apparently the guitar tracks aren't separated, so the notes don't cut out when you miss. So you're looking down at the guitar to see what you're doing, but you can't hear what you're doing, so you don't know how well you're playing.

Also, there's no bass.
    edited April 2011
    skyttskytt;4371946 said:
    Explain how it is better.

Some people may find using there own Guitar better than using a Guitar they've just bought.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371958 said:
    Some people may find using there own Guitar better than using a Guitar they've just bought.

That's better from a consumer standpoint, but it doesn't make the game a better teaching tool.
    edited April 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4371950 said:
    He may come off as a douche, but at least he does so in a way that contributes to the topic at hand.

Without the sensors, the game can't show you where your fingers are (by the way, I can't find any gameplay videos that might prove me wrong). Apparently the guitar tracks aren't separated, so the notes don't cut out when you miss. So you're looking down at the guitar to see what you're doing, but you can't hear what you're doing, so you don't know how well you're playing.

Also, there's no bass.
    Oh, well I read that the game can try teach you songs, without you even looking at the screen, so they must have something up their sleeve. Like, they will probably make some sort of "Noise" to let you know when you haven't hit the right fret/note, etc. And if you go onto the site Gametrailers, there's gameplay up there of people playing.
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371958 said:

That's a terrible explanation. Saying "some" people is not a reason.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2011
    There's already a discussion of this in Less Rokk More Talk. Mods, [emotion="badass"]LOCK THIS THREAD![/emotion]
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371963 said:
    And if you go onto the site Gametrailers, there's gameplay up there of people playing.
    Link or it didn't happen; I'm not going to run around to another site for what may be videos I've already seen of people talking about the game instead of showing anything
    LiveHomeVideo;4371969 said:
    There's already a discussion of this in Less Rokk More Talk. Mods, [emotion="badass"]LOCK THIS THREAD![/emotion]
    This too.
    edited April 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4371971 said:
    Link or it didn't happen; I'm not going to run around to another site for what may be videos I've already seen of people talking about the game instead of showing anything

This too.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sxsw-trailer-rocksmith/713044
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4371963 said:
    Oh, well I read that the game can try teach you songs, without you even looking at the screen, so they must have something up their sleeve. Like, they will probably make some sort of "Noise" to let you know when you haven't hit the right fret/note, etc. And if you go onto the site Gametrailers, there's gameplay up there of people playing.

Right you heard, you haven't seen anything, there's no hands on previews available except by mainstream journalists that wouldn't be able to critic a preview to save their life. I've seen their hype piece and it shows nothing informative and doesn't do a thing to explain how the game works and what it can and can't do. So far Rocksmith is all PR hype just like Powergig was and that worked out really well.