Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    I think it's a neat idea, but it's also a very different type of game than Rock Band.

Rock Band is a party game that you and your buddies can play. It's karaoke with some new additions to teach you the basics of keys, drums, and pro guitar. Someone who has never played before can pick it up and 4 people can play together as a band and have fun.

Rock Smith is an in-depth guitar learning tool that looks like fun for those really into it. It is not going to be a party game. There are no drums, keys, bass, or vocals. It seems more of an independent experience.

In reality, I don't see it as a "competitor" at all to Rock Band. It is a different type of game entirely. It looks like a neat tool for those who already have a guitar they want to use for lessons.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited May 2011
    mercuryshadow09;4397209 said:
    Another Powergig Revolution?

The concept is better thought out than Power Gig, and it's target audience isn't the current music gamer, but folks who play guitar or want to learn to play guitar (and yes, I know that last part can overlap with RB3). Given how it's being setup, it doesn't have to sell extremely well to be a success either, with no peripherals to push and a smaller song selection, it if sells half as well as RB3, it'll be a success.
  • edited May 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4397211 said:
    I wouldn't go that far this time. It's more emphasized on training you than being a game.
    Sounds like it might interest some gamers, with lack of bass vocals and drums (?) who will be left to play it but gamers who already own a guitar?
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Is this game going to help us tune the guitar according to the song? It would be nice. Say I play something in Drop D, the notes will still ring out since there's no mute. Sure the sound will come out of the game but I'll still hear my guitar playing a low E instead. Or am I overanalyzing?
  • ChodTheWackoChodTheWacko Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    Doom878;4397499 said:
    Is this game going to help us tune the guitar according to the song? It would be nice. Say I play something in Drop D, the notes will still ring out since there's no mute. Sure the sound will come out of the game but I'll still hear my guitar playing a low E instead. Or am I overanalyzing?

No, you aren't - that's a very good point.
    Since the game is going to rely on pitch, it is very important that your guitar is tuned to the correct tuning of the song.

But it would be pretty easy to have a 'check your guitar tuning' mode prior to song start.
    My gut feeling it would almost be mandatory, unless the game has a fudge factor for guitars slightly out of tune.

- Frank
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited May 2011
    Rocksmith posted this on facebook:
    Some follow up answers for you guys: 1) The cable comes WITH the game for $79.99. 2) You cannot use ANY 1/4" to USB cable. The Rocksmith cable has special technology that allows it to be compatible with next gen consoles.
    Pictures:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/230092_173078496083168_151544094903275_409477_6090698_n.jpg
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250086_173078482749836_151544094903275_409476_1938329_n.jpg
  • handsprimehandsprime Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Rocksmith will fail like Rock Revoultion and Powergig
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    hiimSMAP;4396980 said:
    Well, if renouncing society, selling all worldly posessions, and learning how to purify and drink your own urine is insane, then why yes, color me insane!

I never understood the opening scene in Water World. He pees into a filter and drinks it. Why doesn't he just run the sea water through the filter?
    edited May 2011
    handsprime;4402523 said:
    Rocksmith will fail like Rock Revoultion and Powergig

anyway

http://theherofeed.com/2863/rocksmith-answers-questions-on-facebook/
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    toymachineSH;4402886 said:

I am a bit concerned, as it sounds like if it's even slightly out of tune you might run into problems, but it definitely sounds like they put a lot more effort and thought into it than Power Gig and the like did, which is good. Might actually stand up alright, who knows.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited May 2011
    toymachineSH;4402886 said:
    Boo to the "auto-difficulty can't be turned off" stuff.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4403057 said:
    Boo to the "auto-difficulty can't be turned off" stuff.
    My sentiments exactly.
    edited May 2011
    Everyone starts at 1, but then their performance determines how quickly they move to the highest levels.
    I may be optimistic but it makes it seem like once you master a song you'll always have it on the highest difficulty level when you play it unless you choose not to. I don't think the song will always be bouncing all over the place with the difficulty but this is all just speculation.
    edited May 2011
    A lot of positive stuff. The fact they throw in freestyle with different tones and pedals is fantastic. The fact that it can sense your tuning, tune your guitar, and tell you to tune is great. I'm liking a lot of their ideas and if they work like they say they work then I'll likely purchase this and hope HMX will super patch RB3 but more likely RB4 for pro guitar. I'm still concerned with the tablature that they present. Still not sure how the playing will work when you got a buddy over and he starts blowing notes.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 2011
    Auto difficulty = epic fail.

Amp Mode = Epic Win!
  • Latepate64Latepate64 Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one who actually likes this auto difficulty and thinks that it would be nice to see it in the next Rock Band game also?
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    I think it would be a good feature if it wasn't FORCED onto the player. Somebody may legitimately want to just practice the unabridged song instead of having to play it enough that the game thinks he/she is ready for a non-neutered version.
  • EdwardooEdwardoo Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    This is really starting to piss me off, In my Country, almost nobody knows what is Rock Band 3, also, when we get info in our game magazines that they gonna release Rocksmith, they sayed that Rockmisth is 1 game on the world that using real guitar and can teach you to play, they didnt mentioned RB3, but its so unfair, because RB3 pro guitar is better than Rocksmith and was sooner.
    But I think this will get better Reviews that RB3,I hope not, which would be unfair and stupid.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited May 2011
    This should be pretty cool, I think I will pick it up.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2011
    Latepate64;4405477 said:
    Am I the only one who actually likes this auto difficulty and thinks that it would be nice to see it in the next Rock Band game also?

Can't you already change difficulty mid song?
  • Latepate64Latepate64 Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Witticus;4405804 said:
    Can't you already change difficulty mid song?

I didn't mean it that way. In Rocksmith, the game detects your skills in realtime and adjusts the difficulty automaticly even in the middle of a song.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    Latepate64;4406156 said:
    I didn't mean it that way. In Rocksmith, the game detects your skills in realtime and adjusts the difficulty automaticly even in the middle of a song.
    It doesn't detect skill at all, it detects performance. Even an Expert player can screw up some wankery part on some songs, why should they be punished by being punted down to an Easy chart for the next 20-30 seconds just because of one small part they can't get down?
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited May 2011
    Maybe they have performance gauges per section, and not across the song as a whole, so if it follows something like:

Riff A
    Solo
    Riff A

If you can 100% Riff A on the highest difficulty, fudging the solo to hell and back may drop its difficulty down, and then during the 2nd riff A, you'd play that at its highest difficulty, instead of stay at the lower difficulty because of the solo.

Have they commented on it working like that? That's how I see it being implemented, and hopefully what they're doing.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    But then that would mean that no matter your skill level, the start of every section would be 'Expert', no?
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited May 2011
    From what it sounded like, it seemed like it learned your proficiency, so that you start on easy, but then if you get up to expert and quit, when you come back, you start back on expert (or slightly lower, didn't they say it'd help ease you back in after not playing for a while?). It could just remember that per section, rather than just 1 setting per entire song, since that makes absolutely no sense for anything but a song by the Ramones.

I mean, RB and GH already have songs split into sections that can be used in practice mode, they could be doing the same thing and just tying your proficiency to each of them independently of each other so that you aren't stuck shooting down to easy because you get a 0% on the solo since you wreck the part before and are thrown into it on expert.

It doesn't have to necessarily throw you into expert on everything if you're really good at the start of the song either, it may auto manage you hopping around based on which section it is, so you play through a song at expert-medium-hard-expert-easy-medium-easy-expert, and only bump up the lower sections when you've performed them well enough.

That's if they're doing it this way. I don't know if they've said one way or another, but it'll be dumb if it's just 1 global difficulty per song.
    edited May 2011
    I play mostly hard difficulty on pro guitar. Yeah I'll average between 50 and 70% but I prefer practicing power chords or the actual chords without the extra strums since I don't feel like practicing all 100 songs I have. Even solos are bearable since IMO hard and expert solos are light years apart. I mean will this game be able to truly master my proficiency or will I get penalized to single note riffs when it's power chords and I miss because I was doing 688xxx instead of 799xxx.
    edited June 2011
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited June 2011
    Is Where is My Mind on this game? I love that song.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    i'm pretty sure i remember reading somewhere where they talk about how the game determines areas where you're stronger or weaker than others, for instance, if you have trouble with string bending but can do hammer-ons and pull-offs just fine. a lot of the little side challenges and things they mentioned are determined by what techniques you need to practice and work on. so the same thing may apply to songs, if you're really good with open chords but not with barre chords, for example, then maybe you'll get the parts of songs with open chords at a higher difficulty level than sections that feature more barre chords.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Doom878;4408343 said:
    http://youtu.be/1u_6CY4ntJQ

First latency complaint

i KNEW this was going to be a problem. the reviewer says that unless they fix the latency problem, the game won't work. problem is, they CAN'T fix it, not for everyone, because in most cases it is caused by the sound processing in the tv and/or av receiver. there's nothing the game can do about that, since it can't predict 30ms or whatever amount of lag time there is ahead of time what notes you are going to play. RB is able to get around this by using pre-recorded audio stems of each instrument, something this game obviously does not have. the only way you'll be able to play this game is if you have a latency free a/v setup to play it through.