Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    RockBandand24Fanatic;4423168 said:
    On Facebook, I saw an advertisement for this game that said this was the first and only real guitar game, I'm pretty sure they are aware of RB3, so why do they have to be like powergig and lie about everything.

I've seen them constantly claim to work with "any real guitar", and even that is a lie because they already said it won't work as intended except for 6 string electric guitar.
  • HeavyMetalKingHeavyMetalKing Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Technically it is the first real guitar game, since it's the first game that can only be played with a real guitar. Rock Band 3 is a rhythm game that has a real guitar mode, but the "real guitar" part is not the only or even the main selling point of the game. Granted, this is playing at semantics, and it is still a shady way of advertising, but it's not technically untrue. I don't particularly care for this type of advertising method since it is deceptive, and since I have a lot of love for HMX and the Rock Band series.

As for Rocksmith itself, I am genuinely intrigued by it. The idea of being able to plug in any of my guitars instead of dropping $300+ on the Squier and MIDI Adapter sounds great. It probably won't be a day one purchase for me, though. I think I'll wait for a few reviews to make sure the game doesn't end up as a dud. That's the same reason I didn't rush out to order a Squier, even though I initially intended to--it was new technology and, therefore, was a bit of a gamble. Assuming it's not discontinued, I would still like to own one some day, but right now I have more important financial responsibilities. I can justify spending $80 a lot easier than over $300, so long as Rocksmith lives up to the hype Ubisoft is putting on it.
    edited June 2011
    HeavyMetalKing;4423209 said:
    Granted, this is playing at semantics, and it is still a shady way of advertising, but it's not technically untrue.

I know what you mean, but if taken to court over it (false advertising), Ubisoft would be forced to stop using the claim "use any guitar" because that's already demonstrated to be false. I do agree with you that it's the first console game that only works with a guitar and not with a controller for the core gameplay, but even then the game allows you to use a controller to map butons to effect pedals. Deceptive advertising aside, I'm a bit interested, but I won't drop $80 on it unless it turns out to work really well and they release DLC I'm interested in.
  • RRhoadsRRhoads Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    What Ubisoft means is that you can play with a real guitar. The Squier for Rockband is a controller with strings and frets, and it doesn't work like a guitar when you play in pro mode.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    RRhoads;4423270 said:
    What Ubisoft means is that you can play with a real guitar. The Squier for Rockband is a controller with strings and frets, and it doesn't work like a guitar when you play in pro mode.

Can you explain that please?
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited June 2011
    Catch-22;4423361 said:
    I think he means you can't play the game without popping up the string mute (therefore preventing you from being able to hear yourself through the amp). Well, you can, but you'll be overstrummed to death.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4423362 said:
    I think he means you can't play the game without popping up the string mute (therefore preventing you from being able to hear yourself through the amp). Well, you can, but you'll be overstrummed to death.

Don't care what you think he means let people speak for themselves.
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    RRhoads;4423141 said:
    Due to demand, they're going to release a Bass-mode as downloadable content a little while after launch.

Source?

If it's true then I think I just got a huge step closer to owning the Axe!
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited June 2011
    hakko504;4423495 said:
    Source?

If it's true then I think I just got a huge step closer to owning the Axe!

http://www.facebook.com/notes/rocksmith/rocksmith-team-answers-your-questions-part-2/178440092213675
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    the bass support would be nice. then they can say (truthfully) that this is the first game to work with a real bass guitar.
    edited June 2011
    raynebc;4423236 said:
    I know what you mean, but if taken to court over it (false advertising), Ubisoft would be forced to stop using the claim "use any guitar" because that's already demonstrated to be false. I do agree with you that it's the first console game that only works with a guitar and not with a controller for the core gameplay, but even then the game allows you to use a controller to map butons to effect pedals. Deceptive advertising aside, I'm a bit interested, but I won't drop $80 on it unless it turns out to work really well and they release DLC I'm interested in.

i don't know that a court would actually find that to be false advertising. courts are pretty lenient with what they'll allow companies to get away with in advertising these days, making general blanket statements won't get you in trouble as much as making very specific untrue statements. and since most guitars will work with game, and most guitars that won't work with the game (namely acoustic guitars) can be made to work with the game by attaching a pickup, they'd probably get a pass.

i'll be taking a pass on this initially because i'm pretty sure the audio lag issue would affect me too much to be able to enjoy the game. that plus the wonky notation. i wish i could rent or borrow it to try it out and see how bad the lag is, but due to the proprietary cable that probably wouldn't be possible either.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Didn't somebody say that the lower the note the more lag? Won't bass really be affected by lag?
    edited June 2011
    Doom878;4423605 said:
    Didn't somebody say that the lower the note the more lag? Won't bass really be affected by lag?

it's an interesting question. first, it depends which type of lag/latency you're talking about: software latency (the ability of the software to recognize what note is being played) vs. audio lag (the difference in time between when you play a note and when you hear it back).

it takes at least a full cycle of the sound waveform for any software to be able to recognize the frequency of a tone. the fundamental of a low E on the bass is about 40 Hz, or 40 cycles per second, so it takes 25ms for the waveform to go through one whole cycle. therefore, any software will take at least 25ms before it can recognize the lowest bass note playable (i'll assume they're only supporting 4-string basses, so no low B notes... might have to go slightly lower if they're including basses tuned down to D). that's a pretty significant lag, however, it seems like rocksmith's scoring system doesn't need to analyze waveforms in real-time to generate accuracy scores, so 25ms of lag may not be an issue as far as gameplay.

audio-wise, it depends on how rocksmith is generating the guitar/bass sounds. presumably they are just doing an A/D conversion, doing some digital processing, and spitting the audio back out. it's no different than how any other digital audio system does sound processing. there are plenty of bass effects pedals that do A/D conversion, process the audio digitally, and D/A convert back out the other end to an amp, without any noticable lag. so i wouldn't expect the audio processing in rocksmith would have a problem with that. also, audio lag with bass is not as much of a problem. most people can't hear down that low in frequency to the fundamentals of the lowest bass notes, and a lot of audio systems can't reproduce frequencies that low without a subwoofer. when you hear a bass, you mostly hear the higher harmonics and "feel" the lower frequencies, and your brain kind of puts it together in a way that you interpret as bass. also, just as it takes 25ms for software to recognize a low E, it takes your brain at least that long to recognize the note as well. the way we hear and experience bass frequencies, lag is not as noticable as it is for higher frequencies. that's also why we have a harder time determining the direction of bass frequencies as opposed to higher frequencies (and thus why you can place your subwoofer in almost any location in a room and won't notice the difference). because of that, the audio lag might actually be LESS noticable for bass than it is for guitar.
    edited June 2011
    Catch-22;4423361 said:
    What I meant is that it is not the real part of the guitar you are using. You are using the sensors in the neck, and you can't hear what you are really playing. So in a sense, Ubisoft are right to say that it is the first game that is played with a real guitar, if you look away from freeware games for the PC.
  • PowderedToast76PowderedToast76 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    raynebc;4423186 said:
    I've seen them constantly claim to work with "any real guitar", and even that is a lie because they already said it won't work as intended except for 6 string electric guitar.
    There's no reason why you couldn't play this with a 7 string guitar. You'd just be using only 6 strings.
  • alexlifesonalexlifeson Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    Cant figure out the confusing notation at all.
    What are they thinking
    Guess you have to go thru the tutorials to understand
    toymachineSH;4419735 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3RrNeZWkxE yeah they had this going on
    edited June 2011
    alexlifeson;4427997 said:
    Cant figure out the confusing notation at all.
    What are they thinking
    Guess you have to go thru the tutorials to understand

It was a bit confusing the first time I saw a video of it. Then I realized that the notiations have the same colors as each individual string, so it should be OK. It's also 3D so that should help too. I think people will get used to this rather quickly.
    edited June 2011
    my biggest issue with the notation is that it will look like an incomprehensible mess when you've got the full song playing, and you've got tons and tons of little flying blocks coming at you. the gameplay they've shown so far has only been on the easiest level. i don't know how many times i've seen a video with the riff from "satisfaction" because it's a simple riff that doesn't look too messy in this notation. but try to imagine something like the crazy train solo with those little spinning blocks for each note. same with chords... they show you the easy versions, where there's only one chord at the beginning of each measure. what is it going to look like when you've got a song strumming 16th note chords, and adding or removing notes on certain chords in the middle of a measure.
    edited June 2011
    tnevaker;4428065 said:
    my biggest issue with the notation is that it will look like an incomprehensible mess when you've got the full song playing, and you've got tons and tons of little flying blocks coming at you. the gameplay they've shown so far has only been on the easiest level. i don't know how many times i've seen a video with the riff from "satisfaction" because it's a simple riff that doesn't look too messy in this notation. but try to imagine something like the crazy train solo with those little spinning blocks for each note. same with chords... they show you the easy versions, where there's only one chord at the beginning of each measure. what is it going to look like when you've got a song strumming 16th note chords, and adding or removing notes on certain chords in the middle of a measure.
    That's a good point.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    So I'm officially getting this game. Why? Cause if I buy this game as well as the RB3 Squier Strat, I get $40 off. Not a bad deal.

Note: You can get $40 with the purchase of Rocksmith and almost any guitar, it isn't limited to that specific one.
  • uprkdarkwolfuprkdarkwolf Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    RRhoads;4423141 said:
    Due to demand, they're going to release a Bass-mode as downloadable content a little while after launch.
    If this is true, then they've been listening to one of the biggest complaints about the lack of a certain pro-instrument.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2011
    uprkdarkwolf;4431278 said:
    If this is true, then they've been listening to one of the biggest complaints about the lack of a certain pro-instrument.
    For RB, it doesn't make as much sence, since the pro guitar is a niche item (mustang and squier), let alone a piece of hardware that will ONLY work for bass, unlike the guitar that works for both.

For Rocksmith, it's easier, since they only have to do the charts since it can use any bass.
  • uprkdarkwolfuprkdarkwolf Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    Bront20;4431319 said:
    For RB, it doesn't make as much sence, since the pro guitar is a niche item (mustang and squier), let alone a piece of hardware that will ONLY work for bass, unlike the guitar that works for both.

For Rocksmith, it's easier, since they only have to do the charts since it can use any bass.

Remember that you are replying to a guy who bought a Mustang only for the auto-calibration capability. I won't play bass charts on it, and I haven't. I don't care to. It's two different instruments.

I did buy a real bass a couple weeks ago and I have been practicing on it. I was originally holding out for an actual pro-bass peripheral, but upon hearing about the Squire being discontinued, I decided to go ahead and get a real four string. I've been practicing on it and I haven't touched Rock Band since.

I was ready to dismiss Rocksmith as not worth my time, but now I'm a little curious about how they're going to support bass.
  • alexlifesonalexlifeson Opening Act
    edited June 2011
    I have a question. I wonder if the YouRockGuitar (YRG) will work with RockSmith
    edited June 2011
    That's a good question. If so, it would probably mean other synthesizers would work also, so people could play it with a keyboard for the laughs.
  • Pwnz0r3dPwnz0r3d Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    [QUOTE=uprkdarkwolf;4431336] but upon hearing about the Squire being discontinued, [QUOTE]

I dont believe it is, i went back to that thread to see if there was any new info, and this is the first HMX has heard about it. They're saying its something to do with Fender's manufacturing times or something or other; bottom line is, apparently they're still available at best buys, and there is no desire to discontinue the product. at least, thats what an HMX staff member (forgot who) explained.
    edited June 2011
    alexlifeson;4431808 said:
    I have a question. I wonder if the YouRockGuitar (YRG) will work with RockSmith
    It should work, since it has a regular Jack output.
    edited June 2011
    It's not guaranteed to work. Rocksmith is entirely designed to analyze the ringing of guitar strings, not synthesized output.
    edited June 2011
    raynebc;4432138 said:
    It's not guaranteed to work. Rocksmith is entirely designed to analyze the ringing of guitar strings, not synthesized output.

Yeah, but that guitar does have a regular jack output if you use a regular amp.