Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• RRhoadsRRhoads Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    raynebc;4432405 said:
    That alone doesn't really mean much. My synthesizer has a mini stereo output, and I've used a mini stereo to quarter inch adapter to plug it into one of my amps before.
    Well, I googled the guitar again, and instead of just reading the specs, I looked at the pictures too..

I'm not so sure now. It does say it has a "Standard ¼-inch output for guitar amp", so if the notes transmitted to the guitar amp is correct, I suppose the game will register them as well. Not sure about how great this guitar sounds though.
  • uprkdarkwolfuprkdarkwolf Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    Pwnz0r3d;4431880 said:
    [QUOTE=uprkdarkwolf;4431336] but upon hearing about the Squire being discontinued,

I dont believe it is, i went back to that thread to see if there was any new info, and this is the first HMX has heard about it. They're saying its something to do with Fender's manufacturing times or something or other; bottom line is, apparently they're still available at best buys, and there is no desire to discontinue the product. at least, thats what an HMX staff member (forgot who) explained.[/QUOTE]

In any event, no one seemed to be interested in releasing a pro-bass peripheral, even though there is a HUGE demand for one (I've taken a look at the Facebook Rocksmith page, there are people saying if there is no bass support, they will not buy it.)

I really don't care how anyone tries to spin it; when there are FENDER reps themselves saying that the Squire has been discontinued, I would rather take it as word straight from the horse's mouth, as opposed to listening to a software company who has been caught with pants down in the past by making statements that turned out to not be true. Lack of Squire Strat controller production would eventually mean that we would never see a Squire P-Bass controller. It really is bad business to ignore a significant market.

MadCatz wouldn't even give a straight answer about a Pro-Bass Peripheral. If they do it, it needs to be a full sized bass. And it needs to have different "string" thicknesses.

If Rocksmith releases with bass support out of the box, I would buy it. If Rocksmith doesn't, then I won't even touch it. I'm not the only person fed up with bass getting ignored for other instruments.

(Playing bass parts on a guitar controller introduces bad habits that would have to be overcome later, and is NOT in our best interest. I tried; I found myself reaching for frets that weren't even there.)

Now, I didn't mean for it to turn into a rant, but I am that consumer who now demands that one of these companies stop ignoring bass players. Period. /story
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    raynebc;4432138 said:
    It's not guaranteed to work. Rocksmith is entirely designed to analyze the ringing of guitar strings, not synthesized output.

well, NO guitar is guaranteed to work. Rocksmith will only say that MOST guitars work with it. i doubt they'd guarantee any particular individual guitar would work. all RS is doing is analyzing SOUND... whether that sound is produced by guitar strings or a synth shouldn't really matter. if anything, i would think it would have an easier time analyzing synth sounds, since there aren't all the extraneous sounds like pick noise, string noise from the fingers sliding across the strings, etc that have to be accounted for on a regular guitar. now, crazy synth sounds like a tuba or a vuvuzela might give the software trouble, but i would think as long as the synth sound is a reasonable approximation of a guitar tone, rocksmith should have no problem with it.
  • HMXmattitudeHMXmattitude Harmonix Developer
    edited June 2011
    I haven't played RB3's Squier, but I really enjoy the Mustang and feel like that's just about the perfect way to play real guitar parts in a game. It's a game, and games need input from buttons to give proper feedback. I fee like there'd just be too many variables with a real guitar. What if the strings vibrate too much? What if it's slightly out of tune?
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    tnevaker;4432937 said:
    well, NO guitar is guaranteed to work. Rocksmith will only say that MOST guitars work with it. i doubt they'd guarantee any particular individual guitar would work. all RS is doing is analyzing SOUND... whether that sound is produced by guitar strings or a synth shouldn't really matter. if anything, i would think it would have an easier time analyzing synth sounds, since there aren't all the extraneous sounds like pick noise, string noise from the fingers sliding across the strings, etc that have to be accounted for on a regular guitar. now, crazy synth sounds like a tuba or a vuvuzela might give the software trouble, but i would think as long as the synth sound is a reasonable approximation of a guitar tone, rocksmith should have no problem with it.
    It does matter. Their software based method has to analyze the entire sound message, beginning from the attack of where you pick the strings. Synthesized tones are going to be quite different from tones that are produced by a guitar pickup. In any case "synthesizers might work" is a more correct answer than "they should work" at this point. I've read answers from the RockSmith Twitter feed where they said specific models of guitar will work, so they definitely been testing against real guitars, but I don't see why they'd have tested synthesizers.
    edited June 2011
    if its a reasonable approximation of a guitar sound, then it will also have an attack. and besides, the attack doesn't carry the tone of the note being played, which is what the game has to analyze to determine what note is being played. it only needs to account for the attack so it can discard that audio information to avoid confusing the software into detecting the wrong note.

i don't know specifically how the YRG generates its sounds, but most synths these days are based on samples, so if it or another synth is using guitar samples, it will produce waveforms that aren't vastly different than a guitar. you might have problems if you try using a heavy distortion tone or some processing/effects, since the game is expecting a clean output direct from the guitar, but as long as you choose a clean guitar tone from the YRG or a synth, it should fit right into the parameters of what the RS software is expecting. the only issue i can see is if the YRG or synth output is a line-level output, since guitar pickups output a lower level signal. if they output a line-level signal, it may overload the software, but then there are boxes that can convert line-level signals to instrument level signals, so it could still be made to work. and the YRG might already be putting out sound at instrument levels, since it's designed to plug into a guitar amp.
  • Funk-n-steinFunk-n-stein Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    Just went through the track listing for Rocksmith and listened to the tracks I was unfamiliar with on youtube. Although I'm very interested in Rocksmith and will probably buy it if there are no serious latencey issues, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the track listing so far. Just doesn't seem to be that much variety. I realize that it's probably only a partial listing, but too many indie style songs where the guitar isn't the focus and it's just straight beat strumming of a handful of chords.
    edited June 2011
    i think the track listing reflects the fact that this game is geared more toward teaching new guitarists than satisfying existing guitarists. most of the songs listed are fairly basic, with simple melody lines or basic chords being repeated. there's not much challenge in that song listing for existing guitarists. certainly nothing along the lines of crazy train or a7x. and considering the wonky notation system they're using, i don't know if those songs would even translate into even a vaguely readable form on this game.

maybe they are saving the more difficult songs for dlc, but you'd think there'd be at least a few challenging songs on disk. it's ironic that this is the game that can be used with ANY guitar, thus should be more appealing to experienced guitarists who would want to use their own guitars instead of buying a new one, and yet the song list has almost nothing an experienced guitarist would be very interested in playing.
    edited June 2011
    It would make sense for them to put the hard songs as DLC so they don't put off beginners from the game. This could put off experienced guitarists, but Ubisoft must have taken this into account.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited June 2011
    OXM’s latest issue contains an article on Ubisoft’s Rocksmith which dropped a few new artists on the table. Artists such as: Neil Young, Lenny Kravitz, Stone Temple Pilots, Tom Petty, Incubus, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon, and Rage Against The Machine.

Metal fans should also take note that OXM is reporting that “the soundtrack.. is almost purely alternative and classic rock.”
    http://theherofeed.com/3002/oxm-reveals-new-artists-for-rocksmith/
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Good artists, I do love Alternative and Classic Rock, so I 'll probably like the setlist, but b/c im only a drummer/rare vocalist, I'll never buy it.

Also Happy Birthday, Toy Machine!
  • ChodTheWackoChodTheWacko Rising Star
    edited June 2011
    There is another van tour thing going around:
    http://videogamewriters.com/rocksmith-hits-the-road-with-vans-warped-tour-nationwide-14593

I think I'll swing by when it's kinda close (Uniondale for me) and give it a try.
    I would be neat for people to try it and have a real person give a hopefully objective review.

- Frank
    edited June 2011
    Here's some info from NeoGAF:
    Dacvak said:
    Yeah, I've got the pro guitar for RB3. It's definitely better, in terms of raw gameplay. But that's solely because of the notation system, which is far more intuitive and natural than Rock Band's. Of course, that's because it takes up your whole screen.

Have there been any videos/screens of gameplay online? If not, I can describe what it's like.

One thing I definitely want to point out is that this game is not like Rock Band or Guitar Hero. It feels far less like a game, and way more like a fun, interactive training tool. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who has no interest of playing guitar, but it seems perfect for anyone who is interested.

Here's a couple aspects of the game that I'm not sure have been talked about. This came from my developer interview and in-depth playthrough (unpublished at the moment) :

Roughly 70 pedals, 10 amps, 10 cabinets.
    Sound quality of your guitar (running through the effects pedals, etc) sounds fantastic. I'd perform an actual concert with these virtual effects. Obviously there's a "free play" mode for just that.
    If you combine the pedals, amps, and cabs that are available, it's easily a few thousand dollars worth of virtual equipment.
    The difficulty adapts in realtime instead of you choosing a difficulty. (I don't like this very much. More below.)
    The analog to digital converter hardware is really small. It's insanely low-latency and accurate. Surprisingly accurate. (I could talk more about this if you want, dude explained to me how it worked)
    Your skill level (per song/game) is tied to your console profile. (I hate this.)
    Tutorials are disguised as indie-like minigames. (This is pretty awesome)
    I don't know if pricing has been revealed, but the dev said it'd be roughly $70-$80 for the game + adapter, and there would be a model that comes with a Junior Gibson *forgets type of guitar* for around $200ish or so.

Back to the difficulty adaptation... So, every song starts off at the same difficulty - super duper easy. And after about 30 seconds or so of nailing the notes accurately, it starts picking up in difficulty. As far as I know, this "leveling up" of songs needs to be done for every song.

This sucked for me, as I'm particularly good at rhythm games (and play a very basic amount of guitar) - the game didn't level up fast enough to keep up with me. I imagine this will be a problem for people who already play guitar, or are good at Pro Mode in RB3.

The nice thing about this is that, apparently, once you level up a song, it stays leveled up. So the next time you play it, it starts off at that difficulty. To be honest, the developer was being really ambiguous with these details, which made me unsure this was exactly the case. If it is the case, it's ****ty because your skill level is tied to your console profile, meaning if you're really awesome and your friend really sucks, you'll have to sign out of your profile in order to let them play. (Otherwise, I believe you risk having your songs "level down" in difficulty)

Again, none of the difficulty curve aspects were explained super well, or at least a way that made sense to me. So there's definitely a chance I'm mistaken.

Overall, game is so totally awesome. I'll do my part in telling budding guitarists that this is, absolutely, a useful tool to learn the instrument.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Did he mention his a/v setup?

This confused me: "Yeah, I've got the pro guitar for RB3. It's definitely better, in terms of raw gameplay. But that's solely because of the notation system, which is far more intuitive and natural than Rock Band's. Of course, that's because it takes up your whole screen." Is he saying RB3 has better raw gameplay and RS better notation?
    edited June 2011
    Doom878;4434984 said:
    Did he mention his a/v setup?

This confused me: "Yeah, I've got the pro guitar for RB3. It's definitely better, in terms of raw gameplay. But that's solely because of the notation system, which is far more intuitive and natural than Rock Band's. Of course, that's because it takes up your whole screen." Is he saying RB3 has better raw gameplay and RS better notation?

i believe what he's trying to say is that Rocksmith is better in terms of raw gameplay because of its notation system. yeah it was confusing though, sounded like he was saying RB3 was better. i had to read it a couple times to figure out what he meant.

also, the leveling up sounds really annoying, especially if you have to do it for each song (and presumably the same for any new DLC you buy). i thought i read somewhere someone said that there would be an option to play the full song though. could be mistaken about that though, mightve just been wishful thinking.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    So I officially preordered Rocksmith. Picked up my RB3 Squier today. We'll see how long I actually stick with it. Managed to save $40 buying them together, so that was nice, and I had a 10% off coupon at Best Buy that I used for the Midi Pro adapter.
  • alexlifesonalexlifeson Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    As soon as I saw these 2 vids from their site for the "Beginner" and "Gamer", I knew we were in trouble and it was going to be very simple stuff for this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYzoavA8B_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAP-IvVXoHM
    tnevaker;4433318 said:
    i think the track listing reflects the fact that this game is geared more toward teaching new guitarists than satisfying existing guitarists. most of the songs listed are fairly basic, with simple melody lines or basic chords being repeated. there's not much challenge in that song listing for existing guitarists. certainly nothing along the lines of crazy train or a7x. and considering the wonky notation system they're using, i don't know if those songs would even translate into even a vaguely readable form on this game.

maybe they are saving the more difficult songs for dlc, but you'd think there'd be at least a few challenging songs on disk. it's ironic that this is the game that can be used with ANY guitar, thus should be more appealing to experienced guitarists who would want to use their own guitars instead of buying a new one, and yet the song list has almost nothing an experienced guitarist would be very interested in playing.
    edited July 2011
    Sweet Home Alabama is in the game
    that isn't really "easy"
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    I wouldn't recommend this to someone who has no interest of playing guitar,
    Does this REALLY have to be said?

Also, called the forced difficulty thing. : / Awesome.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    I think as a player, I would be better served without the variable difficulty. Of course, it's what I'm used to so I'm biased.
    edited July 2011
    Thats good to hear. Hope it gets even better before release
  • pokemonmaster30pokemonmaster30 Unsigned
    edited July 2011
    Oh no! Rock Band's going to have competition! It does really look good, though.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2011
    pokemonmaster30;4438485 said:
    Oh no! Rock Band's going to have competition!
    Why? Because this compares to 10% of Rock Band's playability?
    edited July 2011
    Yeah it's pretty indirect competition
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2011
    toymachineSH;4438620 said:
    Yeah it's pretty indirect competition

And any success in the Rhythm Gaming section is good for the genre. I'm sure reviews will mention RB3's Pro mode, HMX will be able to mine it for any new ideas, and if it succeeds, it may draw folks to RB3 as well (as it's the only place for Drums and Keys), and it might keep labels interested in releasing music though the genre.
    edited July 2011
    i've seen the $25 voucher at best buy mentioned here, but i saw today now that guitar center is doing the same thing.

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/rocksmith/

however the game itself actually stacks up, one thing is for sure: they definitely beat RB when it comes to promotion.
    edited July 2011
    lvmathemagician;4437471 said:
    I think as a player, I would be better served without the variable difficulty. Of course, it's what I'm used to so I'm biased.

it amazes me that there isn't some override to allow you to play the full charts. the variable difficulty that adjusts to your playing sounds like a good idea, but it has to have some configurability to work. i'm not even sure if it's a good way to learn guitar. the only way to get better at something is to consistently work at things you CAN'T already do. if you're really bad at, say, alt-picking, and every time the game "levels up" to where you have to alt-pick and you end up failing and dropping back down in difficulty, will you ever learn to alt-pick? you need to spend a considerable amount of time practicing the same technique over and over to pick up that technique, if the game keeps on dropping you down to a lower level, you'll never pick it up, or at least you won't pick it up nearly as quickly as you should. it's like lifting weights, if you only ever pick up a 25lb dumbbell, you'll never get strong enough to lift a 30lb dumbbell. you have to occasionally pick up heavier weights to get any stronger. i know this game has those little "mini-games" that are supposed to teach basic skills, but i'm skeptical about those. i know i wouldn't want to play some game where i'm shooting ducks using my guitar. i want to play songs, and i want to be able to play them the correct way, not a dumbed down version. i'd rather play the song correctly and get 70%, and keep on playing it until i get to 80 or 90%, then to learn how to play a simplified version of the song at 100%.
    edited July 2011
    If enough of the fans complain about the auto difficulty system, there's a strong chance they'll patch it to make it optional. Or at least they will if they want to keep their customers all happy. It's probably too late for them to change it for launch.
    edited July 2011
    Suggest you can do this over at their FB site as they have Q&A sessions with fans/potential buyers and seem to be receptive to comments/suggestions:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/rocksmithgame
    raynebc;4440020 said:
    If enough of the fans complain about the auto difficulty system, there's a strong chance they'll patch it to make it optional. Or at least they will if they want to keep their customers all happy. It's probably too late for them to change it for launch.