Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2011
    You probably have to have your guitar properly tuned for the best experience

THE HORROR
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    toymachineSH;4335624 said:
    You probably have to have your guitar properly tuned for the best experience

THE HORROR

I'm stoked to read the customer rage regarding this after it's released.
    edited March 2011
    Ubisoft is providing a more realistic guitar experience!
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited March 2011
    My first reaction was... Cool, everyone begging for RB's competition just had their prayers answered.
    After seeing the ads, I'm a little less sure. It can teach you guitar it seems (as long as you only want to learn one string at a time notes), but there doesn't appear to be any sorta multiplayer "band" mode, which is a huge fail from a gamers perspective.
    Ubisoft can probably at least prepare to be eatin' up by Activision.

EDIT: "loogie"? What the hell is that iPhone?
    Try "little"
  • Darky_06Darky_06 Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    On some sites the user comments about this press release give the impression that people seem to be more aware of Power Gig's failed attempt at using a guitar than they are of RB3's Pro mode with the Squier/Mustang.
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    I'm torn about this: On one hand, IF it works with ANY guitar then RB3's Pro Mode is either stone dead or HMX will have to get a patch out that can use RockSmith's converter ASAP. On the other hand, I'm far from convinced that the RockSmith converter will work for anything but single notes, esp not in fast sequences. and what about lag? Even though this solution seems to be wired, I'm afraid it will take quite some time to convert the audio into game data which means that the lag will be noticeable. But IF it works then I'll be all over it. Won't buy it before I've read some reliable reviews though. I'm quite sure this will be a lot better than Power Gig which you could see was going to be c**p by just reading their descriptions on the site. Good enough to give Rock Band a match? Not so sure, but with the right marketing they will sell a noticeable amount of games. I'll follow the development with a great deal of interest to see if they can pull it off.
  • ChertensteinChertenstein Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    I honestly thought this was an April Fools joke, but no. Too early for that.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited March 2011
    I lol'ed.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    The authors of both articles are indeed ignorant to the existence of Rock Band 3. They're too lazy to do any real research I suppose.
  • JazarJazar Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    How would the "simple" USB/Jack adaptor even work? It would have to be very limited in what it could detect. Give me a MIDI input to hook up my Squier and I'll be more interested.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2011
    This game is further proof HMX needs to finally get their fingers out and get some Rolling Stones DLC for RB. One song with the initial games release is not enough when even new to the genre efforts secure their music for games. It was bad enough seeing every GH disc bring more from one of the biggest known bands on the planet not to mention a healthy offering of DLC.

As for the game itself... i couldnt care less. If i wanted to play real guitar i would ask my mate to show me, he plays in bands and teaches music for a living so ive no need for any music game to do so.
    edited March 2011
    Based on the very limited description from the articles, it sounds like the game will not detect if you are playing the correct note/chord. It will just use the quarter inch audio connection to make sure you're playing "something" as each gem is reached on screen. It's funny that one of the articles called the other franchises "primitive" by comparison.
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    FromtonRouge;4335589 said:
    Sorry if it was already posted... Ubisoft just announced a new real guitar game : RockSmith
    It'll be the biggest thing since Power Gig! :p
    edited March 2011
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2011
    Lol at the "gamer" who managed to break a strum bar or one of the buttons.

Also notice the Gibson/Epiphone guitars in the videos.
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I don't care about RB3's pro guitar mode and I care even less about this.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    Conceptually, I do like the idea of an actual fretboard instead of the usual cascade, although RB3 Pro itself is a little outside the traditional "falling gems" format anyway.

But OTOH:

This is just a tool for people who already have a guitar....basically about 45 onscreen tabs. Doesn't seem to be much reason outside of that to even own the game --- no indication of competitive modes, no visuals, no goals....again, nothing but tablature.

Ubi is going to run into a lot of trouble with that name, "Rocksmith." It's already trademarked for *several* different product lines. I doubt that monicker will stick.

The gamer press' (and music press') inability to even MENTION Rock Band 3 in ANY of those videos or websites is truly astounding. It's also astoundingly sad, since it probably reflects on the complete lack of advertising and promotional support for RB3. Nobody even knows that RB3 HAS a Pro Guitar, and yet that was the whole raison-d'etre for the game's innovations.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    Oh, and LOL at Interpol as Ubi's "weapon of choice" for the promo videos --- yay, I can strum a single string a billion times ad nauseam! Look at me, ma, I'm a frickin' GUITARIST
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2011
    The press for this game doesn't mention Arby 3's pro mode anywhere, and one article even said "Rock Band is on hiatus."
  • ManLovesRobotManLovesRobot Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    The only two things that concern me is....

1. Lack mentions that RB3 has Pro Mode Support.

2. Great :( another game coming out that is going to take away artists from RB3. Power Gig already wasted Eric Clappton, Dave Matthews, and Kid Rock. Now it sounds like this game will have the Rolling Stones which IMO are lacking in RB.

Competition is fine but why is HMX not given their due when it comes to adding real instruments to their game?
    edited March 2011
    No real scoring, probably a standard stereo mix of each song, no multiplayer mentioned. The only feature that seems remotely interesting is that it has a software amp/modeler included. But hey, since it doesn't reliably score the player, people can "freestyle" during the song, which is what some people wanted. Otherwise sounds like a failure to me.

Edit: According to the ScoreHero thread somebody put together, there is rhythm and lead guitar tablature for songs. I'll grant them this is a step in the right direction, and since Rock Band 3 broke into the world of real guitars, I have to admit I hope RB4 will add rhythm guitar as an option.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    i'll reserve judgment until i actually see this in practice. it sounds interesting to me, but of course i'm wondering just how accurate a 1/4"-to-USB cable can be at determining what you're playing. i can't conceive of how it will tell the difference between playing, say, E on 5th string/7th fret vs. E on 4th string/2nd fret. on the other hand, if all it is doing is detecting the notes, and not the actual fingering, and it just assumes you are playing the fingering shown in the game, that's not really a dealbreaker. some people might even prefer that, they can use their own fingerings and chord voicings instead of having to play precisely the way it's notated. you can choose to play it as accurately as possible, or play it your own way, and not be penalized for it. that's also supported by this quote from the RS article:

"Unlike other music games, the audio won’t cut out when you miss notes, nor will you be penalized for any noodling you do between the required notes. "

both of those things have been requested before for RB. also, if it has more of a focus on practice and training, rather than gameplay like RB, it could be a good learning tool. especially if they let you slow the tracks down further than the 60-70% allowed in RB.

of course, as of now this doesn't even exist yet and who knows whether it will work very well at all, or be useful or fun. i'll at least give it a look, especially since i can plug my own nicer guitars into it, instead of being forced to use the inferior squier. for those who already own an electric guitar, it doesn't require the initial monetary outlay of buying RB3, squier, and MPA, so it's a low-risk purchase. if it comes out and looks like it's halfway decent and the guitar recognition technology is sufficiently accurate, i might pick it up.

of course, it won't compete with RB3 in a lot of other areas: installed user base, amount of music (this may have 45 songs, compared to probably about 3x as many songs on RB3 by the time September gets here), and of course the ability to play with other people/instruments.

i hope also that HMX gets a wake-up call about the lack of advertising for RB3 pro mode. as those articles indicate, nobody seems to even know it exists.
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited March 2011
    If this works it seems awesome. I can use guitars I already have rather than buying a guitar I don't even want? If it's any good at all I'm all in.
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited March 2011
    If it works it seems better because the fact I can use a guitar I already have.
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I'm glad the mods changed the title of this thread. The other one was stupid.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2011
    It's interesting how licensing for music games has changed. When Guitar Hero first started, they had to use covers for the songs. Now artists like Nirvana and The Rolling Stones will give master tracks to any game that comes along.
  • edited March 2011
    Rockox;4335753 said:
    I'm glad the mods changed the title of this thread. The other one was stupid.
    I am glad to enhance your gladness. :P
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    dog037;4335755 said:
    It's interesting how licensing for music games has changed. When Guitar Hero first started, they had to use covers for the songs. Now artists like Nirvana and The Rolling Stones will give master tracks to any game that comes along.

It says the audio doesn't cut out if you miss notes, so track-stems aren't necessary.

I imagine it's also cheaper to just have a song featured in a game, rather than have to get rights to play around with stems.
  • ManLovesRobotManLovesRobot Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4335659 said:
    The authors of both articles are indeed ignorant to the existence of Rock Band 3. They're too lazy to do any real research I suppose.

The Rolling Stone author knows about RB3. This was in his Twitter feed:

Industry Experts: Can Rock Band Survive? http://bit.ly/gPUdbt