Rocksmith & Rocksmith 2014 discussion thread

Comments

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    heppycat said:

Urgh I haven't even touched Magic Carpet Ride yet

Agreed, but I did finally get around to playing "Don't You (Forget About Me)" last night.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    :o

so much for needing "masters", eh?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 17
    I didn't think Rocksmith ever needed masters. Was I wrong in that assumption?
    Oh, probably they always did (still do?), but didn't need separated stems.
  • They just need an audio track, the tracks used in Rocksmith are OGG
    All I can say to this announcement is:

EFF YESSSSSS!!!!!!! INSTA-BUY ON THE WHOLE PACK!!!!

As long as we get Youth Gone Wild, 18 and Life, and I Remember You, I don't even care what the other two are I'm buying the pack!
  • Fantastic news, the Avril Lavigne and 90s DLC are now on Xbox One! This also means the Skid Row DLC probably won't be delayed.
  • I wish RB could just get DIY stem Skid Row tracks..
    So jealous :( lol

I wish RB could just get DIY stem Skid Row tracks..

they can if they want to!
  • tnevaker said:

They can't if the masters are too damaged. Otherwise we'd have gotten much more new pre-80s during 2016 onwards but we only got 4 songs (Still the One, Don't Do Me Like That, Hold the Line, Black Betty). Not even RBVR gained new 70s songs and it didn't even have any 60s.
  • tnevaker said:

They can't if the masters are too damaged.
    Where have you read this?
  • Wildcat15 said:

tnevaker said:

As you know, some of the GDRB songs didn't have fully separated stems and there was an interview about Green Day trying to get pre-Dookie era songs in RB. That interview pretty much confirmed that masters can be in such a bad state that they're unusable for RB.
  • Wildcat15 said:

tnevaker said:

As you know, some of the GDRB songs didn't have fully separated stems and there was an interview about Green Day trying to get pre-Dookie era songs in RB. That interview pretty much confirmed that masters can be in such a bad state that they're unusable for RB.
    Without searching too much, this article says there are masters of live Skid Row, and this one talks about the masters of the Sex Pistols (article from 2012, Guitar Hero re-recorded in 2008).

There is something to work with Skid Row and the Sex Pistols aren't against music games, so I wouldn't say it's 100% impossible.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I could see a single song not being a problem without stems, but a whole pack would probably cause a cataclysm of peace headaches for rock band.
  • It didn't stop the Gin Blossoms pair. though.

Wildcat15 said:

tnevaker said:

this was true BEFORE ROCK BAND STOPPED REQUIRING FULLY SEPARATED STEMS.

geez, why can't you seem to understand this? Rocksmith can get Skid Row because they don't need multitrack masters, because they don't need fully separated stems. RB used to require fully separated stems to put a song into the game (back during the pre-RB4 era when games like GDRB and RB3 always used fully separated stems) so songs like those Dookie songs, or the Skid Row songs for which the masters were lost when Sebastian Bach's basement got flooded, were off-limits for RB. now that HMX no longer requires fully separated stems, and therefore doesn't need the multitrack masters that are required to generate such stems, they can get songs for which those masters are damaged, lost, etc. i mean, we just got the stem-less Danger Zone a few days ago to further demonstrate this, a song that was previously unavailable in RB due to missing masters as explained by hmxhenry all those years ago in one of the few times HMX actually revealed the precise reason a song didn't make it into the game.

so, if RB wants to release Skid Row DLC, they can. or at least, if they can't, it's not due to the loss of those masters.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Wildcat15 said:

It didn't stop the Gin Blossoms pair. though.

Ok, Found out about you was botched, but Hey Jealousy sounded fine.
  • I
    tnevaker said:

Wildcat15 said:

tnevaker said:

geez, why can't you seem to understand this? Rocksmith can get Skid Row because they don't need multitrack masters, because they don't need fully separated stems. RB used to require fully separated stems to put a song into the game (back during the pre-RB4 era when games like GDRB and RB3 always used fully separated stems) so songs like those Dookie songs, or the Skid Row songs for which the masters were lost when Sebastian Bach's basement got flooded, were off-limits for RB. now that HMX no longer requires fully separated stems, and therefore doesn't need the multitrack masters that are required to generate such stems, they can get songs for which those masters are damaged, lost, etc. i mean, we just got the stem-less Danger Zone a few days ago to further demonstrate this, a song that was previously unavailable in RB due to missing masters as explained by hmxhenry all those years ago in one of the few times HMX actually revealed the precise reason a song didn't make it into the game.

so, if RB wants to release Skid Row DLC, they can. or at least, if they can't, it's not due to the loss of those masters.
    There's still key differences between the RB and RS situation. Note that not playing at all in RS doesn't change anything meanwhile for RB it sounds different. It isn't even like in GHTV where missing notes lowers the volume of the entire song.

So when I'm talking about too damaged in the case of Skid Row, I'm thinking more than just the multitrack masters being too damaged. That the owners can't give HMX what they need for them to create the DIY stems, meanwhile Ubisoft doesn't need to do that as the song is pretty much just background music for RS.
    edited March 20

I

tnevaker said:

Wildcat15 said:

tnevaker said:

There's still key differences between the RB and RS situation. Note that not playing at all in RS doesn't change anything meanwhile for RB it sounds different. It isn't even like in GHTV where missing notes lowers the volume of the entire song.

So when I'm talking about too damaged in the case of Skid Row, I'm thinking more than just the multitrack masters being too damaged. That the owners can't give HMX what they need for them to create the DIY stems, meanwhile Ubisoft doesn't need to do that as the song is pretty much just background music for RS.
    sounds different how? you mean like how when you miss a note, the entire song goes down in volume instead of just the instrument that missed (which is EXACTLY what happens on those DIY stem songs)? or how whammying a guitar note will causes the other tracks' pitch to vibrate along with the guitar?

yeah, HMX attempts to use filtering to create their own DIY stems for songs where they don't have fully separated stems from the labels. the fact that it's so obvious which songs have DIY stems when notes are missed or whammied on the guitar shows just how "successful" those efforts are.

and once again, no matter how much you insist that there is something magical about "masters" that makes it easier for them to produce DIY stems from them -- there isn't. it's just plain wrong, and i can't figure out why you insist on clinging to and continuing to spread this misinformation. the only thing magical about "masters" that makes it easier to produce stems from them is if you have multitrack masters, where you can pull each individual instrument from its own isolated track on the recording to produce a stem. if you don't have the multitrack masters, then it doesn't matter what kind of "master" you think you have, it's all the same to any audio filtering or processing software or equipment.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 20
    http://theriffrepeater.com/rocksmith-remastered-dlc-3212017-skid-row-sebastian-bach-slave-to-the-grind-18-and-life/

Skid Row – $11.99

* Skid Row “18 and Life” - Alt. Lead / Alt. Rhythm
    * Skid Row “I Remember You” (Song #1000)
    * Skid Row “Monkey Business”
    * Skid Row “Slave to the Grind” – Drop D
    * Skid Row “Youth Gone Wild”
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 20
    Well if you're right that because of the new approach nothing is a masters issue, we'll probably get Skid Row sometime this year for RB. I'm wary about this idea because I'm pretty sure we'd have got much more new pre-80s by now if that was the case. Anyway the Australian Xbox site confirmed the RS pack to be:
    - Youth Gone Wild
    - 18 and Life
    - I Remember You
    - Monkey Business
    - Slave to the Grind
  • To celebrate the milestone of 1000 playable songs in Rocksmith: Remastered, I conducted a brief interview with Manager of Musical Content, @BrianAdamMcCune and Director of Design, Paul Cross (@CrossieRS) regarding Licensing, Our wonderful community, the request app, and of course... Metallica.

http://theriffrepeater.com/rocksmith-remastered-1000-songs-exclusive-interview-paul-cross-brian-mccune/
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Planning my week around getting home on Thursday early enough to win the 1,000 songs on Steam. 6pm EDT right?
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 22
    I think it's 5 PM since the last two streams didn't happen due to hardware issues, I'm checking into it thoug.

Giveaway will be near the end of the stream but if you like rocksmith come at 5 PM EDT
    Huge 40% off almost all DLC on Steam going on right now. Only the very recent stuff isn't on sale. I'm thinking about double-dipping on a bunch of my Xbox DLC so that I can have everything in one place when I want to play.