Prog Recommendations?

striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Was looking to get some new tracks through RBN, which I've largely ignored outside of getting tracks by The Shins and Band of Horses..was looking for some Prog recommendations. Having vocals as well is a major plus (since it looked like a lot of the prog genre in the library was all instrumental) but not required. I'm usually a drummer, or guitar/vocals at the same time.

Hoping for more melodic prog, as opposed to prog metal, but I'll take what I can get.

I have Destructive Device by Mindflow and The Complexity of Light by Children of Nova already...do you guys have any suggestions on must-grab RBN tracks that fit these descriptions? Thanks!

Comments

• RockGamerRockGamer Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    If you enjoyed "The Complexity of Light", Children of Nova have the entire rest of their EP up on the Rock Band Network as well, and it's completely brilliant (no pun intended).

Also, we'd highly recommend Ayreon's "Dawn of a Million Souls", but then again, we might be a little biased. ;)

A touch more towards the prog metal tip are songs such as "Mind Diary" by Cloudscape and "Dominate and Overload" by Fracture, but they're still both worth checking out.
  • ChertensteinChertenstein Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    I can't speak for drumming, but 'Africa' by Quartered is pretty fun. I also second the notion of the Complexity of Light EP. Love all of them.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    RockGamer;4336963 said:
    Ayreon's "Dawn of a Million Souls"
    Oh yes indeed. :D
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    striderblack;4336951 said:
    Hoping for more melodic prog, as opposed to prog metal, but I'll take what I can get.

Marillion is / once was a melodic nonmetal neo-prog act, though their progginess in recent years - particularly their singles - is the subject of some debate.

That said, I think Marillion's "Whatever is Wrong With You" is a fantastic song and well worth purchase, whether you categorize it as prog (as the game does) or simply good pop-rock with a prog underbelly (you know, like 80s Yes or Genesis radio singles).
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Some of my fave prog songs on the RBN besides Children of Nova's entire EP would definately be "Sleep On" and "Hyperbole" by Glass Hammer. Between the two of those, Sleep On is my favourite - it's not hard, but it's a lot of fun to play.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Since "Destructive Device" and Glass Hammer have already been mentioned, I'll recommend the two Mile Marker Zero tracks, "Laceration" and "A Thousand Nights".
  • striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Sweet, thanks for all the suggestions. Any particular Children of Nova EP tracks? Since they're 160 instead of 80, I'm more inclined to cherry-pick instead of just buying the whole set.
    edited March 2011
    "The Fall of Aphonia" and "Second Sight Blackout" are my personal favorite Children of Nova songs. Both are a lot of fun, and not extremely crazy on drums like "Arcaedion".
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    striderblack;4337272 said:
    Sweet, thanks for all the suggestions. Any particular Children of Nova EP tracks? Since they're 160 instead of 80, I'm more inclined to cherry-pick instead of just buying the whole set.
    We Collide is probably my pick (and the longest, if you want value for money), but Second Sight Blackout and Arcaedion are also good choices.
  • edited March 2011
    Chertenstein;4337102 said:
    I can't speak for drumming, but 'Africa' by Quartered is pretty fun. I also second the notion of the Complexity of Light EP. Love all of them.

Africa is an absolute blast on drums. The tribal drum intro alone is worth the price of admission, so to speak.

Since Ayreon and Marillion are both in my general top 5 favorite bands, I second their recommendation, as well as Children of Nova and Glass Hammer. Since they haven't been mentioned yet, I'd like to add The Great Plains by Scale the Summit and 1348 by Umphrey's McGee to the recommended list as well. Neither track is too hard on drums, but both are a lot of fun to play as well as great songs to listen to.
    edited March 2011
    "Africa" is getting a RB3 version, that is already in playtest, so I would hold off on that.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    striderblack;4337272 said:

We Collide and The Order are my personal picks besides Complexity of Light. As you can see, opinions vary by person and they're generally all considered awesome (both musically and chart-wise). There are videos of all of them on youtube, so you can watch those and see what sounds/looks good to you if you want. If you want to consider difficulty, Arcaedion is hands-down the most challenging off the whole EP (it's really insanely difficult, although pretty fun to flail around at even if you can't really play it and incredibly satisfying and fun when you do manage to nail a part), while Fall of Aphonia and Second Sight Blackout are probably the easiest. I personally find The Order to be harder than We Collide, even though it's tiered lower.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    You should also pick Rishloo album, Feathergun (I don't know what is already available, though). Pretty cool stuff, if you like Prog you should like their musical approach.