RBN2.0 New Release thread.

Comments

• ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    DTylerPhoto;4355061 said:
    I would like to sing Bed Intruder over and over and then video tape it and annoy Facebook people and would like instructions on how to make this a reality. I would prefer to do this as soon as possible and would like to be doing this right about three hours ago.

I'm unaware of the difference between playtesting and peer review, but I would like to play bed intruder on vocals NOW and have a small fortune amassed to make this happen....and wardrobe - I have a small rolled up newspaper, a red bandana and a black wifebeater - I AM READY FOR THIS. One might even say that I have prepared for this my entire life, but then I would be less than a year old.

I'd strongly advise against making those videos. These songs are unreleased, and authors don't like it when playtesters make videos of pre-released versions without their permission. That's a big no-no. You should be clear to make videos once the song is released to the public though.

Playtesting is the initial stage where people play the track and make sure it follows the authoring rules. Testers give feedback for authors to look at and perfect their tracks. Peer Review is the final stage where the track is to be reviewed by the community, and if it's free of rule-breaks and other such issues, the song is approved and sent off to the store.

More info is at http://creators.rockband.com. New testers are appreciated, so if you do take the plunge into an XNA subscription, I ask that you test the songs and provide feedback on them so the author can perfect it and the songs can be released to the public faster, thereby making RBN more awesome by the minute.

(Also if you test some Chart Toppers songs, I'll be your friend forever.)
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    DTylerPhoto;4355061 said:
    I have a small rolled up newspaper, a red bandana and a black wifebeater - I AM READY FOR THIS.
    He's not kidding, look what he did.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2011
    Kemiroch;4354885 said:
    I'd also love to help test. I can even eat the cost.

The main problem is I am just borderline expert guitar/bass, less on every other instrument, and don't really have the drive (or ability, likely) to improve. Moreso, even if I was passable on all the instruments, I have no clue what I'd be looking for to fix.

I'd love to help out RBN, but the best I can to do is to encourage people good at the game and at music to become testers! Cmon people you know you want to!

To be fair, playtesting isn't all about actually playing, it's about going over the charts and making sure they make sense on EVERY difficulty level. For vocals, that's pretty easy because you have one chart, but for the others, you have 4 you have to go though, and it's actually probably easier to watch than play.

Which won't exactly stir up a lot of playtesters either.
    edited April 2011
    Kemiroch;4354885 said:
    I'd also love to help test. I can even eat the cost.

The main problem is I am just borderline expert guitar/bass, less on every other instrument, and don't really have the drive (or ability, likely) to improve. Moreso, even if I was passable on all the instruments, I have no clue what I'd be looking for to fix.

I'd love to help out RBN, but the best I can to do is to encourage people good at the game and at music to become testers! Cmon people you know you want to!

To be fair, playtesting isn't all about actually playing, it's about going over the charts and making sure they make sense on EVERY difficulty level. For vocals, that's pretty easy because you have one chart, but for the others, you have 4 you have to go though, and it's actually probably easier to watch than play.

• dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    is there any songs you guys think will come out the week of april 4th?
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    There actually have been a couple of songs passed PR recently, but it's difficult to tell if they'll pass through quarantine in time to appear in the store on Tuesday.
    edited April 2011
    let's cross our fingers Oscar :) i don't care which songs... i'll buy them anyway
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    If "it's actually probably easier to watch than play" and there is a dearth of testers, perhaps some kind of adjustment should be made to RBN. Recruit people without XNA membership who can vote by just watching videos and make their votes count half as much as regular playtesters.

Honestly, the only thing that ever held me back was sheer inconvenience. If I could just turn on my Xbox and test the videos without incorporating my computer I would gladly pay the 99 a year fee, even if I had to still rebuy tracks I want to keep scores, play multiplayer etc. I can't really play the drums where I live now either which I hate.

But my Madcatz keyboard just ruined a year old laptop because I tried to hook it up using something recommended on these forums from Amazon, as is.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    rab39;4355235 said:
    If "it's actually probably easier to watch than play" and there is a dearth of testers, perhaps some kind of adjustment should be made to RBN. Recruit people without XNA membership who can vote by just watching videos and make their votes count half as much as regular playtesters.

Honestly, the only thing that ever held me back was sheer inconvenience. If I could just turn on my Xbox and test the videos without incorporating my computer I would gladly pay the 99 a year fee, even if I had to still rebuy tracks I want to keep scores, play multiplayer etc. I can't really play the drums where I live now either which I hate.

But my Madcatz keyboard just ruined a year old laptop because I tried to hook it up using something recommended on these forums from Amazon, as is.

That would still require coopoeration from Microsoft. You can still watch videos and give feedback if the group puts their videos up (and some groups like TAG put up videos of most of their drafts specifically for this purpose), but anything that would actually let you submit official playtests or reviews without and XNA account needs Microsoft and Harmonix can't do it on their own.
  • V4VendettaV4Vendetta Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Bront20;4355153 said:

If that's the case, why can't they be posted on youtube and we can just comment after watching them, saving us some fee?
    edited April 2011
    V4Vendetta;4355305 said:
    If that's the case, why can't they be posted on youtube and we can just comment after watching them, saving us some fee?

There could be copyright issues involved in doing so, especially with bigger bands and labels who may not be happy about such things being done. We don't usually have full control of the rights to the songs we work with, and such things may not be covered legally.

Also, doing so would take a lot of effort. A video would have to be made for each difficulty level. Doing that takes a lot of time, and at least speaking for us at CTA, that's time better spent authoring or testing. Of the groups that do make videos, they usually make Expert videos only. The majority of issues are found on the lower difficulties.

This also would not remove the requirement of Peer Review, which involves an actual voting system that only XNA members can access. The approval of the general public isn't enough, or Bed Intruder would be out right this second.
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    The only people allowed to vote would be those accepted into the Creators forum...and that's the only place the videos could be viewed, and that's where they would vote, and that's where they would give feedback. It would just be of expert versions of songs. Any songs that get published must still get a minimum of actual playtester hands on critiques, but this way would do two things: 1). help get songs to rbn faster 2). make video testers jones for released songs which they will no doubt buy and spread word on the forums about for hype.

I'd guess at least 50 to 100 super forum readers would sign up for such a thing, and if it doesn't do much for 1) I'm certain it would do a lot for 2).

Just a suggestion.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    rab39;4355356 said:
    The only people allowed to vote would be those accepted into the Creators forum...and that's the only place the videos could be viewed, and that's where they would vote, and that's where they would give feedback. It would just be of expert versions of songs. Any songs that get published must still get a minimum of actual playtester hands on critiques, but this way would do two things: 1). help get songs to rbn faster 2). make video testers jones for released songs which they will no doubt buy and spread word on the forums about for hype.

I'd guess at least 50 to 100 super forum readers would sign up for such a thing, and if it doesn't do much for 1) I'm certain it would do a lot for 2).

Just a suggestion.

What you're suggesting is basically just a playtest-only account, which has been talked about before. As far as I know, Harmonix said they'd talk to Microsoft about it and then nothing was ever heard again, by which we can probably assume MS weren't wild about the idea.
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    Well, one other possibility would be to officially allow playtesters / reviewers from other countries besides the US. I'm not talking about being allowed creating/selling their own songs, since this means all kinds of legal troubles. But testing and reviewing should not pose any problems...
  • Odin ForceOdin Force Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    As a PS3 user, I'd pay for an XNA membership to review songs by video or SOMETHING. I want to help, but having spent all the money on PS3 equipment and 900+ songs, it's a little too late to flip teams. If I could go back to myself three years ago, I'd tell myself to just get an X-Box 360 with Rock Band. That and some lottery numbers.
    edited April 2011
    FYI, I don't officially know if a video is easier, but I would suppose it would be, because it'd be easier to pause and review problematic sections. I'm sure some actual play-testers could back me up on that. Beyond that, since you're looking for charts to match the song as well as the rules for each level.

Me, I don't buy enough tracks to pay $99 to test things, nor do I have a 360. I'd still be willing to do some testing, in my spare time, but I can see why folks would decide that shelling out $99 to help other folks make money isn't something popular to do. I do know some houses have talked about sponsoring a few testers, which I think is what the more successful authoring houses will need to do. Heck, if each big house has 2-3 sponsored testers, you'd hopefully have enough testers out there to churn out 10-20 songs a week without an issue if each of them could test 8-10 songs a week.
    edited April 2011
    is arch enemy still in testing? a friend of mine can't wait to play... neither do i though :P
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    i'm actually spending the next night or so looking into exactly how the whole test/review process works and plan on signing up for XNA by next week so i can help out... theres so many songs i want NOW that the 100$ is basically meaningless

assuming you can test/review in canada... cause i dont even know if you can or not :p
    edited April 2011
    i don't think you can.. sorry
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    If you're honest about your address you can't test from Canada, United States only.
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    Catch-22;4357864 said:
    If you're honest about your address you can't test from Canada, United States only.
    sigh.. that sucks.. i already have accounts in both countries cause my aunt didnt read the fine print on the back of points cards...

EDIT: do you also need a gold account?
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Zemanator;4358060 said:
    sigh.. that sucks.. i already have accounts in both countries cause my aunt didnt read the fine print on the back of points cards...

Yes, and you don't need an American XBL account, you just need an american address when entering your info on the creators site.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2011
    Catch-22;4358096 said:
    Yes, and you don't need an American XBL account, you just need an american address when entering your info on the creators site.

Yes, but you do need a membership with XNA (a membership to make games/rock band network songs). You can get one for free if you are in college or know someone in college.
    edited April 2011
    Zemanator;4358060 said:

Nope, Silver (or "Free" as they now call it) is good enough. All you need is XNA.

To back up that claim, my company's account has never been Gold, and yet we've released 15 songs through it.
    LiveHomeVideo;4358167 said:
    Yes, but you do need a membership with XNA (a membership to make games/rock band network songs). You can get one for free if you are in college or know someone in college.

The free one won't allow you to download songs in testing/review or submit playtests/peer reviews. It will give you access to Audition Mode though.

To back up that statement, my personal account had the free XNA for a year because I'm in college. I couldn't test anyone else's songs but my own until I got my company's Premium account. It's also why my playtests are submitted with the company account.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited April 2011
    Store Update: April 6, 2011

Song Title - Artist

Slaughterhouse, Obituaries and a Love Story - Arcadia
    Fight for Greatness - Bloom
    You Will Leave A Mark - A Silent Film
    Buried Cold (RB3 Version) - Rose of Jericho
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    Cool, three new piano tracks to buy!
    edited April 2011
  • striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Casto21;4358480 said:

Song Title - Artist

You Will Leave A Mark is an excellent song. Definitely recommended for keys and drums.
  • JohnnyRhythmJohnnyRhythm Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    Casto21;4358480 said:

Song Title - Artist

Awesome! I've been waiting for you will leave a mark for a while
  • edited April 2011
    Just had an "Oh that song!" moment with You Will Leave A Mark. AltNation FTW.

How much is it btw.

Edit: 160. I was hoping for 80 but i think with the lack or modern music from Harmonix i will prioritize this over Freeze-Frame when i get more points. Also i'm sure pro-keys are a ***** to chart so i don't mind paying more