Something I'm confused about, involving contacting bands.

SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Something that's been bugging me for a while is how the authoring groups work. I've been thinking about contacting quite a few bands, that are very likely to be okay with RBN, however with the suggested etiquette to contact bands, it just sends them to the website with the directions of going through the whole process. Now on a scale on how interested these people/bands are with Rock Band, I'm positive it's not on the extreme level, and going through the hassle of authoring the songs completely, getting an XNA membership is something they really don't have the time/patience for.

So what I'm confused about is how authoring groups come into play with bands. Do they contact all the bands themselves? Do they only subject to doing songs of their choosing? How would I refer an artist to an authoring group if they were okay with the artist? Would they have to contact the artist? And if they have to go through the full process of getting a membership, uploading midi files, charting songs, I'm not going bother contacting them.

Comments

• ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    SystemSCSnake;4341811 said:
    So what I'm confused about is how authoring groups come into play with bands. Do they contact all the bands themselves? Do they only subject to doing songs of their choosing? How would I refer an artist to an authoring group if they were okay with the artist? Would they have to contact the artist? And if they have to go through the full process of getting a membership, uploading midi files, charting songs, I'm not going bother contacting them.

I speak only from my experiences running Chart Toppers Authoring and working with bands.

We've had a mix of those. Our first artists and our latest unannounced one were gotten by contacting them about it and telling them about RBN. They were interested, and a deal was made. The rest of our artists have actually come to us, either by referral or self-interest.

Some authoring groups, depending on who runs them, choose whether to work with an artist or not on a case-by-case basis. Some may have their hands too full at the moment and can't accept any more artists. Some, like ours, accept with open arms any artist that wants to get their songs in the game.

To refer an artist to an authoring group, give them the group's contact info. Some sites, like ours, have a form the artist can fill out to get their songs submitted for consideration. This page lists currently active authoring groups with contact information. If the authoring group is interested, they will contact the artist to follow up on their submission.

As for your last question, no, the artist does not have to do all that. That's why authoring groups exist; to take on that part of the job. If the artist or label wants to collect all royalties, they may have to get an XNA account and upload the songs themselves, but everything else is taken on by the authoring group.

I hope this was helpful to you and answered your questions.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I handle all the authoring. Insomniac set up the account for me; I'll set up the account for Heywood. It just depends on the artist
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Arcanon;4341828 said:

I hope this was helpful to you and answered your questions.

Yes it is, thank you.