Questions for RBN Devs?

HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
We're going to record a Podcast later this week all about RBN. Do you have questions for me, HMXLachesis, or HMXJohnD specifically about Rock Band Network? Post them here and we'll answer as many of the most popular ones as we can.

Comments

• SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Have you ever considered having some of the community charters become charters for the "official" DLC? There are some amazing charters out there.

Drake's band, The Main Drag, is u-... um... errr........ amazing. I can't of a question to go along with that at the moment. I'll just state that the band is amazing.

Actually, I can't think up anymore questions period right now. I'll post some more later!
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2011
    Has there ever been a band or song announced or put into testing from an authoring company, and you guys at Harmonix have been; "Oh damn! We wanted to do that one."
    edited March 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4342228 said:
    Has there ever been a band or song announced or put into testing from an authoring company, and you guys at Harmonix have been; "Oh damn! We wanted to do that one."

Oh, oh! This one! I've wondered this myself multiple times.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Ideally I'd like to know a bit about potentially adding pro guitar and bass support for RBN in the future. I understand the reasons behind not including it in RBN2.0 but I'm personally hoping that the decision will be revisited sooner rather than later.

As part of the same question, if and when Pro support does become available, do you think it will be in the same format as the HMX DLC upgrades are? I.e. will we be able to add pro guitar/bass upgrades for previously released songs?
    edited March 2011
    Has HMX ever approached a band that's had DLC released "officially" to be apart of RBN?
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Has RBN ever affected what Harmonix pursues for actual DLC? For example, there is a lot of great metal on the Network, while there has been very little metal on official DLC since RB3 (IIRC). While it could simply be that famous artists like Doors/Joel/etc are higher priority, it appears as though HMX is intentionally holding off on the genre due to the amount available via RBN.
  • DKageDKage Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Now that RBN 2.0 is officially live, are there any plans to revisit previously released material to include the new instruments? I know that I, for one, would repurchase certain tracks if they were updated to include keys/harmonies. I am particularly interested in an updated version of "(Do You Wanna Date My) Avatar" with the keys mapped to the keys instead of guitar, but the question seems apropos for other tracks as well (i.e. "The Touch" by Stan Bush).
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    is there any reason why some countries including mine does not allow XNA? has Microsoft said that to you?
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    DKage;4342276 said:
    Now that RBN 2.0 is officially live, are there any plans to revisit previously released material to include the new instruments? I know that I, for one, would repurchase certain tracks if they were updated to include keys/harmonies. I am particularly interested in an updated version of "(Do You Wanna Date My) Avatar" with the keys mapped to the keys instead of guitar, but the question seems apropos for other tracks as well (i.e. "The Touch" by Stan Bush).

That's a question for the authors, not the devs. The authors and rights holders make that decision. There's already some RB3 Versions of songs in playtesting as we speak.

My questions:

-What are the requirements a song must meet to be eligible to be ported to the PS3? I've heard different things such as popularity, sales, etc. I'd thought it was best-selling songs only, but I also keep hearing other factors come into play. If that can be disclosed, I'd love to know what the factors are, partly for the selfish reason of seeing where our songs stand.
    -Some random guy on the street told me you guys promised free cake to all RBN authors. I'm going to totally believe him because of his classy tinfoil hat. Where's my cake?
  • edited March 2011
    @DKage: I think thats up to the authors not HMX

Here are my questions: When RBN was frist conceived did you know that it would attract "main stream" acts like Creed, Third Eye Blind, and Drowning Pool or was it only simply for garage bands just starting out?

What HMX in house bands are planing on putting some songs on RBN2.0? I know Honest Bob would be a good seller and I would love Mexico by That Handsome Devil.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to know more about how do they intend to port RBN 2.0 songs on PS3: when we will receive new content, if they are likely to stick with the "five songs a week", if they will mix RBN1 songs with RBN2.0 etc... It would be interesting why this process with Sony works this way, never understood why. :p
    edited March 2011
    dinoman;4342288 said:
    is there any reason why some countries including mine does not allow XNA? has Microsoft said that to you?
    That's completely in Microsoft's hands. Any countries that are supported by XNA are also supported by RBN, and those that XNA doesn't cover do not have access to RBN. Check the App Hub FAQ, scroll down to Regional Information and check the far-right column, those are all the countries covered by XNA.
    LunaticSoul;4342304 said:
    I'd like to know more about how do they intend to port RBN 2.0 songs on PS3: when we will receive new content, if they are likely to stick with the "five songs a week", if they will mix RBN1 songs with RBN2.0 etc... It would be interesting why this process with Sony works this way, never understood why. :p

They have said they will still continue to port RBN1 tracks, and a mixture of RBN1 and RBN2 tracks once RBN2 tracks become eligible. The five songs per week limit is something that Sony imposed and it's unlikely to change any time soon.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    I've seen people post quotes from Harmonix staff about there being no further RBN1 charts released for PS3. Has this changed?
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4342403 said:
    I've seen people post quotes from Harmonix staff about there being no further RBN1 charts released for PS3. Has this changed?
    I have also seen people saying that the PS3 won't get any more RBN1 songs, but I don't know where they're getting that from because this quote seems pretty clear.
    HMXMister_Game;4331042 said:
    We will continue to add at least 5 songs/week to the PS3. Since RBN2 songs will not be available immediately we will add RBN1 songs, or a mix of RBN1 and RBN2 songs until the majority of new stuff is RBN2.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited March 2011
    When will song submissions be allowed from people with non-US addresses?
  • m_estockm_estock Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Oscarvarium;4342466 said:
    I have also seen people saying that the PS3 won't get any more RBN1 songs, but I don't know where they're getting that from because this quote seems pretty clear.

I think they're getting that from this:
    hmxhenry said:
    Here's the RBN songs coming to PS3 next week. This is the last batch of Rock Band Network songs that will be compatible with RB2 on the PS3. As we transition from RBN1 to RBN2.0 we'll have some downtime in the submission pipeline, just as we did on the 360, but we should have a blog post ready next week with more details about the expected schedule. Keep posted for more info!

 Fake Shark – Real Zombie! – “Angel Lust”
     Rose of Jericho – “Buried Cold”
     Broadcast – “Love and the Triumph Of”
     Emmure – “10 Signs You Should Leave”
    edited March 2011
    So are any further RBN charts being ported to PS3 forced to meet RBN2 requirements or not?
    edited March 2011
    m_estock;4342545 said:
    I think they're getting that from this:

All that says is that future PS3 RBN releases won't be available on RB2, nothing at all to do with RBN1 vs RBN2.
    edited March 2011
    raynebc;4342560 said:
    So are any further RBN charts being ported to PS3 forced to meet RBN2 requirements or not?

PS3 will still get RBN1 songs, at least until RBN2 songs start being ported over. Then it'll be a mix until it's only RBN2 stuff.

Even though PS3 will still get RBN1 songs, all songs released from this point on will not work in RB2 even though it's RBN1. You can only play them in RB3 and future games. No charts are changing.

That's what I gathered from the whole thing, anyway.
    edited March 2011
    It'll make it harder for PS3 users to determine which songs are genuinely RBN2 (ie. guaranteed pro drums, etc) if it isn't a set in stone date like on Xbox 360.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Can we expect any new RBN based goals being added to the game in the future?
    edited March 2011
    If I remember correctly, HMX mentioned they might put up the full versions of the songs that you hear in the menus on RB3. Is this still happening?
  • Flannigan101Flannigan101 Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Why are some songs still not available on the PS3 and Wii after the 30 day xbox only period?

When will the UK be able to join creators.rockband.com?

Why are there never any free RBN downloads?

Also, just a suggestion, could there be a top 10 download chart? Either every week or every month? I know Bodies by Drowning Pool is the most popular, but it would be nice to see a full chart.

• Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Are there any plans for full RBN function to come to the PS3? I know the answer has been Sony does not have a online sharing system setup like Xbox does, but games like LittleBigPlanet have proven that can be overcome by building their own system to solve the problem. Will RBN be doing the same, and if not why?
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Death50;4343639 said:
    Are there any plans for full RBN function to come to the PS3? I know the answer has been Sony does not have a online sharing system setup like Xbox does, but games like LittleBigPlanet have proven that can be overcome by building their own system to solve the problem. Will RBN be doing the same, and if not why?

Just about to ask something like this myself...
    I know that when RBN started, Sony wasn't very flexible so you went with XNA. With Sony opening up to outside developers, like the addition of Valve's Steamworks, which bypasses much of Sony's native framework, and allows for cloud storage and multiplayer between PC and PS3, would it be possible to expand RBN support on the PS3 further?
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Not sure you can answer this, but considering Harmonix bands now release their music via RBN instead of official DLC, are there any plans to release RB3 versions of previously released songs by in-house bands? Specifically, any hope for on-disc "bonus songs" like A Jagged Gorgeous Winter?

I'd also like to second the question about cake for RBN authors. I do so like cake.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Xenigma;4343893 said:
    I'd also like to second the question about cake for RBN authors. I do so like cake.

It's just a lie.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2011
    TubaDude49;4343902 said:
    It's just a lie.

Actually this internet meme has been wrong from the start.

For those of us that actually finished Portal there WAS a cake.

So the cake wasn't a lie.

Gladdos just wasn't going to let you live to get to it.

I guess Gladdos is a liar just doesn't have the same meme quality to it.

But, I digress.

The cake was not a lie.

The promise of getting cake was a lie.
    edited March 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4344297 said:

But, I digress.

The cake was not a lie.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THE SAME EXACT THING SINCE THIS WHOLE THING STARTED. THANK YOU!

/caps
    edited March 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4344297 said:

But, I digress.

The cake was not a lie.

I'm honestly glad she didn't let us have that cake. Have you seen the ingredients for that thing?