Where's the jazz and funk at?

VyseTheQuickVyseTheQuick Opening Act
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
I haven't really visited the RBN in a while. Wanted to get in there and show my support with dollars but I was shocked to find that these genres haven't been touched at all. Jazz is at 1 with Footloose gone (I know why) and funk still isn't represented at all in there. I noticed that the genre categories are a tad bit wonky right now, is the funk hidden away? And where's the jazz?!?!? A quarter of RBN is metal! I promise I have enough already.

Comments

• FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    There's "I Want You to See" covering jazz, and there's a handful of funk songs- Last Suppit, Standing in Your Stuff, Too Hot to Handle...

Do you have any particular artists in mind? Have you tried to contact them? I'm with you, I want to get the first Fusion track and plenty more Jazz going, but getting artists involved ain't easy. Metal bands/labels love RBN, and a lot of RBN authors love metal. So it's no surprise that's so prominent. Getting jazz and funk artists, especially good ones, is a bit tricky.
  • VyseTheQuickVyseTheQuick Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    FairwoodStudios;4345904 said:
    There's "I Want You to See" covering jazz, and there's a handful of funk songs- Last Suppit, Standing in Your Stuff, Too Hot to Handle...

Do you have any particular artists in mind? Have you tried to contact them? I'm with you, I want to get the first Fusion track and plenty more Jazz going, but getting artists involved ain't easy. Metal bands/labels love RBN, and a lot of RBN authors love metal. So it's no surprise that's so prominent. Getting jazz and funk artists, especially good ones, is a bit tricky.
    Thanks for the recommendations on the funk. I'll go snag those a bit later. I bought "I want You to See" because it was the only song in the Jazz section.

I hope there's not a culture of looking down upon RB from the jazz community. You'd think getting exposure to you music from any source would be a positive thing. I was actually thinking today after seeing the 1 song on RBN that I could contact some of the groups I like to listen to. Unfortunately while I do like fusion and anything with a jazz flavor, most of my collection consists of big band, which doesn't always have all the instruments that Rock Band has.

I'll have to take some time to check out the "contacting artists" thread, but this is what I had in mind. I played some of his songs in high school, so at the very least he allows sheet music.

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Jazz Police
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8vzBcoEcg&feature=related

A live version to check out the drum work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z77jD_ign60
  • RockGamerRockGamer Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    We'd love to do both jazz and funk if we can get artists and labels on board. While we can't confirm anything at the moment, let it be known that both are on our radar.