Why is there a cowbell in marianas trench on Rock band 3?

Comments

• SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Better question: Why isn't there cowbell on every single song available for Rock Band 3?
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    ...and the only prescription...is more cowbell!
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2011
    Because some authors (HMX included) feel that when there are long stretches of no vocals to sing that the singer has to do something instead of just stand there.

So they add in the percussion gameplay (where you slap the mic to the dots). This adds in cowbell, hand claps, or tamborine jingles to the audio of the song.

I personally am not a big fan of messing with the original audio of a song, and with harmonies now (you can do harmonies, or percussion section), I think for the most part the 'cowbell' sections are going to become few and far between.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4348913 said:
    Better question: Why isn't there cowbell on every single song available for Rock Band 3?
    Better question: there isn't?
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4348934 said:
    Better question: there isn't?

Right, right.

I hardly ever play vocals so I didn't quite remember. Though, I'm sure there's at least a few songs without the percussion sections being a cowbell.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Actually, the best example of this is on RB2, IMO. There was actually cowbell charted to the vocals in "Battery". The first time that I saw that I thought, "WTF?" I do agree that there are some times that the vocalist percussion is totally out of place. Like in a Metallica song. Of course, owning a PS3, I can't see what it is that you're talking about... :(
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2011
    This is literally the worst thing in Rock Band. I figured these would not happen in RBN songs, but apparently I was mistaken.

TAG takes the best approach and only puts them in by request. If I ever saw that someone had done this to one of my songs without my permission, I would be irate. "Stereo Stereo" has a clap section because there's actually one in the song...
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    kingtonyx;4349101 said:
    This is literally the worst thing in Rock Band. I figured these would not happen in RBN songs, but apparently I was mistaken.

TAG takes the best approach and only puts them in by request. If I ever saw that someone had done this to one of my songs without my permission, I would be irate. "Stereo Stereo" has a clap section because there's actually one in the song...

I'd think that's how most of these would go. I don't think any authoring group would go against the artist's wishes in this and other matters. The way we do it, at least, is we add them wherever they feel appropriate (sparingly of course), and then get the artist's input. If the artist likes it, it stays, but if not then it's gone.

I think we only used percussion twice so far. Tambourine in "November" and cowbell in "Firehouse Bar." Both times felt appropriate (November had a long vocal-less outro and Firehouse Bar is country so cowbell with the solo seemed right) and both times the artists were fine with it.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2011
    As long as it's cool with the artists then yeah, why not :D
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2011
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4348924 said:
    (you can do harmonies, or percussion section)
    You can't have both? I thought "Whip It" had claps in the solo chart. Or is that an RBN-specific restriction.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    SirDavidTLynch;4349455 said:
    You can't have both? I thought "Whip It" had claps in the solo chart. Or is that an RBN-specific restriction.

You can have percussion sections in the solo chart. You can't have them in the harmony charts even if the solo sections had them.

I saw an early RB3 vid where there were harmonies and percussion in the same chart, but HMX appear to have changed their minds on that given the docs.