"Wasting Light" -New Foo Fighters album streaming now!

BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
edited May 2011 in History of Rock
Two weeks early. Foo Fighters long awaited album is streaming here!

Probably only available for a limited time. Give it a listen!

http://wastinglight.foofighters.com/

Comments

• BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Well, I think its great simply that the whole recording was done in Dave's garage with analog equipment. By definition, it's basically an indie record!

I love this one though. I thought ESPG was a little less solid. This one seems like it has more energy as a whole, less focused on getting one great single, but more like an album. Oomph added intentionally.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    I just noticed a lot more familiarity on this one.

And the reason ESP&G felt like a bunch of singles is probably because it's THAT good. Screw it if all they tried to do was get out a great single, it's amazing stuff that all sounds like it could be a huge hit.

I do since the "oomph", but the music itself just isn't nearly as interesting.
  • XXSpectreXXSpectre Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, this entire album is totally sick!!

It's starts out strong with Bridge Burning.
    and we get Bob Mould on Dear Rosemary.
    White Limo is pure awesomeness.
    I LOVE the tension build-up in Arlandria.
    loving the chorus in Miss the Misery.
    Krist Novaselic on Bass and Acordian in I Should Have Known? AMAZING!!!
    And Walk is an is such a powerful finish to this ablum!

I remember hearing the album the for the very first time when the White Limo toured in my home town. thats the Limo in my avatar picture.

DAVE GROHL IS GOD.
  • gosox333gosox333 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    I've been listening to this a lot over the past week, and I have to say, it's really a return to form for them. I think it's their best since There is Nothing Left to Lose, maybe even better. I've enjoyed their last three albums, but this has something those don't have. I love it.

The only song on the album I'm not really feeling is I Should Have Known. Literally everything else I love. There's no way I could ever say that about One by One, In Your Honor, or ESPG.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4356682 said:
    First listen, only about half the songs really caught my attention. Though, after about 3-4 listens, nearly all of it I'm warmed up to and I think it's a really damn good album. Doesn't begin to touch ESP&G and is probably my least favorite album of theirs, but that's not saying a whole lot as every Foo album before this has been great-fantastic.

Though, it's fairly obvious the Foos are loosing a good deal of their creative edge. I think they ran it dry with ESP&G ;)
    Basically all of this. It's no Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, but it definitely got better on a second listen.
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, ESPG was probably my least favorite from them. Erase Replace, Let it Die, and Come Alive all sounded way too similar to each other for my taste, Home was a boring track, and Long Road to Ruin wasn't my favorite either. Too much that bored me.

I did love Statues, But Honestly, the Pretender, Summer's End, and Cheer up Boys, though. I enjoyed a lot of the album, but too much of it didn't hit home with me for it to be one of my favorites.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Did you guys catch the Back and Forth movie on VH1? It was amazing. I listened to this album and promptly deafened myself on the way to work. :D
    edited April 2011
    Got home, got the album, so great.

Even better than streaming.
  • jacob42jacob42 Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    The album is very good. I got the deluxe edition, and the Deadmau5 mix of Rope is probably my least favorite song.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Had to listen to the album at work... wasn't particularly impressed, personally.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    ^Then listen in the car or home LOL
    edited April 2011
    gosox333;4363832 said:
    Erase Replace, Let it Die, and Come Alive all sounded way too similar to each other for my taste...

Umm, what?

Yeah. That's a "highly disagree" from me.
    edited April 2011
    They're all uncharacteristically depressing songs that progressively get more intense as they go along. One song like that on the album would've been fine, but they put three in there, and I didn't like that.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    SeymourDuncan17;4356751 said:
    And the reason ESP&G felt like a bunch of singles is probably because it's THAT good. Screw it if all they tried to do was get out a great single, it's amazing stuff that all sounds like it could be a huge hit.
    It sounded like a bunch of singles because there wasn't a whole lot of variation between tracks and the production was awful.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2011
    I've listened to it on Spinner. Quite surprised.

HUGE step up from ESPG and pretty much everything since There Is Nothing Left to Lose. Definitely in my Top 5 of 2011 so far. I'd give it an 8/10.
    edited April 2011
    WhiffleBallTony;4365882 said:
    Had to listen to the album at work... wasn't particularly impressed, personally.
    I definitely recommend taking time to focus on it. I streamed it a few weeks back, and kinda just had it going in the background, and nothing caught my attention and I wasn't that impressed with it compared to ESP&G. But I picked it up yesterday afternoon, and I've currently gone through the whole thing 14 times, because it is GREAT.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4366390 said:
    I've listened to it on Spinner. Quite surprised.

HUGE step up from ESPG and pretty much everything since There Is Nothing Left to Lose. Definitely in my Top 5 of 2011 so far. I'd give it an 8/10.

I'd agree with most of that, except the rating... probably only a 7/10 from me because of how much it tailed off at the end. Maybe a 6.5.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    It's their best since the 90's but it still doesn't compare to the first three.
    6/10 from me.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited April 2011
    hiimSMAP;4366556 said:
    It's their best since the 90's but it still doesn't compare to the first three.
    6/10 from me.

I think the third LP is pretty mediocre, but I agree otherwise.
    edited April 2011
    killer_roach;4366537 said:
    I'd agree with most of that, except the rating... probably only a 7/10 from me because of how much it tailed off at the end. Maybe a 6.5.
    Walk wasn't amazing, but it gave off a finishing feel.

I Should Have Known, on the other hand...no...no...
    edited April 2011
    gosox333;4366299 said:
    They're all uncharacteristically depressing songs that progressively get more intense as they go along. One song like that on the album would've been fine, but they put three in there, and I didn't like that.

Erase/Replace, nah. Though, I see what you're saying about Come Alive and Let It Die.

Basically, they're only similar in structure? Yeah. I don't see how that's really a complaint. If it was, I could dog on a LOT of bands/albums/songs I'm sure you like (and I like). You can't expect every song to be COMPLETELY different from one another. If they are, that's great. If not, as long as they're not pretty much the same song (same melody, chord progression, similar riffs/drums, etc.) I won't mind. People are just too critical, I think.
    killer_roach;4366351 said:
    It sounded like a bunch of singles because there wasn't a whole lot of variation between tracks and the production was awful.

I like to think I know what I'm talking about when I say that there was enough variety. I don't hear that much a difference in variety from say.... Colour and the Shape.

Maybe if you have the mindset that there isn't much variety or that they all sound similar, sure, they'll sound as such. But, me, I don't hear it.
  • FuKwonFuKwon Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone else think that it was really cool that Krist Novoselic played bass on I Should Have Known? It's really good to see that Krist is acting like the guy who used to play for Nirvana, and not some politician.
    edited April 2011
    It's the one redeeming factor on I Should Have Known.
  • FuKwonFuKwon Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    It really is. I love the album, but they should have spent more time understanding that people listen to the lyrics and the lyrics are lacking a lot.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it's got uninspired lyrics. Instrumentation is on-and-off good, though.
  • FuKwonFuKwon Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    True. I think that White Limo and Rope were structured pretty well. I'm just glad it wasn't a total dud.
    edited April 2011
    I was referring to just I Should Have Known, actually.

But yeah, those first five tracks are just great stuff.
  • FuKwonFuKwon Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Oh, sorry. Haha. I was totally thinking about the entire album, but yes, the bridge is absolutely amazing to me. The chorus has a little work to be needed, but overall it's a good song nonetheless. I got the deluxe version of it on iTunes and I really don't know why. I got a DeadMau5 (whoever that is) version of Rope. It was awful. Haha.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, everyone seems to agree on that.
  • DustinJames89DustinJames89 Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    Seeing them in Missoula next month, should be a good time!