Would we be able to get some Pantera for RBN? I think the odds are against us..

Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
edited October 2011 in The Rock Band Network
Pantera are one of my favorite bands of all time, and having The Great Southern Trendkill on RB is awesome, even though it ain't my favorite album by them. Now, I'd love to get more of them, through the RBN even. Though as I said in the title, the odds are against us. With Dimebag passed away, and Phil and the rest not getting on from what I know, I think we were probably lucky to get some of Pantera even through normal DLC. But would there be even a possibity of getting some Pantera, do you think? Who would I have to contact to see if this can happen? Anyone want some Pantera? The odds are against us, but sure I am willing to try.

Comments

• KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Cowboys From Hell is on Warner. If you were thinking of a different album, go check what label it was released under. If it's under Warner, Universal, Sony, Columbia or EMI, just keep walking.
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    Why will none of those release any stuff on RBN? Are they against it?
    edited April 2011
    Right now they are. They don't like the idea of working with independent authoring groups.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2011
    Heavens_Saint;4364407 said:
    Why will none of those release any stuff on RBN? Are they against it?

Because major labels are idiots. That's why they're starting to lose out to the independent ones now.
    edited April 2011
    Well, that's stupid. I think them investing into the RBN is a good idea, considering people are already stealing music anyways. They'd get some money back on the money they make through the Pantera DLC made from the RBN, wouldn't they, right?
    edited April 2011
    Well from my point of view, I see them saying "No, we don't want to sign a paper and send you some MP3s just so we can make some money" which is totally confusing to me. Then again, I don't know what goes on and why they are actually saying no. That's just how it seems from the outside looking in.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it's very confusing to me. As they know, people already steal music online anyway these days. You think they'd jump on this as fast as they could to make more money, if bands like Pantera, and deffinley Metallica came to the RBN. Imagine how much people would buy there songs?
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    The rate of return on RBN sales, even if the label keeps the whole 30%, is entirely unfavourable for major groups like the big four (UMG, WMG, Sony and EMI). I suspect they would rather license their tracks elsewhere, where they can earn more money from them.
  • joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    Panteras first four albums during their glam era are not on major labels but a small independent label called metal magic. It would be cool to get some songs off the power metal album. However the label metal magic is the bands own personal label.
  • joescorpionjoescorpion Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    ..so the odds are that Vinnie Paul owns the rights to pre-groove pantera. give him a try at least its not warner label
  • Coach ZCoach Z Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    Oscarvarium;4364432 said:
    The rate of return on RBN sales, even if the label keeps the whole 30%, is entirely unfavourable for major groups like the big four (UMG, WMG, Sony and EMI). I suspect they would rather license their tracks elsewhere, where they can earn more money from them.

This is what I still don't get - what's "elsewhere"? With GH out of the picture, is RBN just competing with regular DLC? I don't see Rock Band competing with the use of songs in commercials or whatever.

I can see the argument that RBN for the most part doesn't include the PS3 and Wii. Why exclude 40% of the market (roughly, according to http://rockbandscores.com/popularity.cgi?showdlc=on&showrbn=on)?

I don't think the sales numbers are particularly different between RBN and DLC anymore - probably because only the faithful are still playing Rock Band.

Is the 30% RBN cut less than the DLC cut? Is the 30% just unable to overcome the overhead of labels' attorney fees?

Just grousing I guess. I'm glad RBN has introduced me to so many indie bands. I was just hoping things would be different, and I'd be able to help polish the songs I really wanted to play in Rock Band.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited April 2011
    I'm guessing they look at the non-zero amount of effort that's required in preparing and sending the stems, and they look at what would appear to be an unfavorable profit-sharing split, and decide to just do nothing.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    Coach Z;4364569 said:
    This is what I still don't get - what's "elsewhere"? With GH out of the picture, is RBN just competing with regular DLC? I don't see Rock Band competing with the use of songs in commercials or whatever.

I can see the argument that RBN for the most part doesn't include the PS3 and Wii. Why exclude 40% of the market (roughly, according to http://rockbandscores.com/popularity.cgi?showdlc=on&showrbn=on)?

I don't think the sales numbers are particularly different between RBN and DLC anymore - probably because only the faithful are still playing Rock Band.

Is the 30% RBN cut less than the DLC cut? Is the 30% just unable to overcome the overhead of labels' attorney fees?

Just grousing I guess. I'm glad RBN has introduced me to so many indie bands. I was just hoping things would be different, and I'd be able to help polish the songs I really wanted to play in Rock Band.
    You're not wrong, but I doubt the labels know enough about the rhythm games market to understand it that way. They will most likely see RBN as just another money spinner, and from that point of view a 30% cut (or less, with some of it going to the author or with a fee up front) doesn't seem like a good investment compared to licensing songs in a more conventional manner, or simply selling through something like iTunes.
  • JupiahJupiah Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    They won't do it because 30 percent isn't enough for the major labels. They're so used to getting grossly unfair and near-crippling licensing fees in their contracts with music startups (using their near monopoly on music copyright and lawsuits as leverage) that they'd rather refuse and make no money at all then compromise and set a precedent by licensing their music at such a "low" rate. They'd probably be much more interested if their cut was closer to 70 or 80 percent.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Coach Z;4364569 said:

The thing is, it kind of IS competing with songs in commercials, movies, etc., at least from a licensing perspective. These are the biggest labels in the business and they would simply rather spend their time looking into more profitable endeavors. There's just not enough profit involved with the RBN to make it worth their time in their eyes.
    edited April 2011
    joescorpion;4364552 said:
    ..so the odds are that Vinnie Paul owns the rights to pre-groove pantera. give him a try at least its not warner label

How do I get in contact with Vinnie Paul? If I knew how, I'd contact him and ask what his opinion on pre-Groove Pantera coming to the RBN is.
  • This-GuyThis-Guy Unsigned
    edited October 2011
    Perhaps we need to ask the artists instead of the labels. The artists are more for spreading their music instead of the money.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2011
    But the labels have the rights to the artists' music.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2011
    Why was this revived? We get it, you want Pantara, but the label doesn't want to comply, so we can't do s***.