Genesis: Rock Band

edited April 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Think about this:

There was The Beatles Rock Band. There was Green Day Rock Band. Now, there needs to be a Genesis Rock Band.

It would cover all eras of Genesis, starting at the band's genesis (hahaha) in 1967 with Anthony Phillips and Chris Steward/Jonathan Silver/John Mayhew (who played with them in their first shows), then going to 1970-1975 with Gabriel, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford, and Collins, then going to 1976-1996 with Banks, Collins, Thompson, Stuermer and Rutherford, then 1997-1998 with Banks, Wilson, Rutherford, D'Virgilio, and Zidkyahu, then ending in 2007 with Collins, Banks, Rutherford, Thompson, and Stuermer again.

Imagine having a Rock Band version of Gabriel in his Watcher of the Skies costume, Old Man or Foxtrot costume, Colony of the Slippermen costume or anything in between..then Collins in his prog era putting his acting skills to use, then even the pop-y Collins saluting his junk later on..then Ray..don't really know what he did :P..

Venues could range from a small club where they're playing in front of 3 people (which the band said has happened) to Wembley Stadium in front of 500,000 people!

With the new keyboard accessory from RB3, playing Tony's parts/solos would be freaking fun and amazing.

Setlists would at least include:

Gabriel-era:
Silent Sun
The Knife
Stagnation
The Musical Box
For Absent Friends
Return of the Giant Hogweed
Fountain of Salmacis
Watcher of the Skies
Get 'Em Out by Friday
Supper's Ready
Dancing With the Moonlit Knight
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
Firth of Fifth
Battle of Epping Forest
The entire The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album (since they performed it that way on tour)

Collins Prog Era:
Dance On A Volcano
Entangled
Squonk
Robbery, Assault, and Battery
Ripples
Los Endos
Eleventh Earl of Mar
One for the Vine
Blood On the Rooftops
Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...
Afterglow

Collins Pop Era:
Follow You Follow Me
Behind the Lines
Duchess
Turn It On Again
Misunderstanding
Duke's Travels/Duke's End
Abacab
Keep It Dark
No Reply At All
Dodo/Lurker
Mama
Home By the Sea/Second Home By the Sea
Invisible Touch
Land of Confusion
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
No Son of Mine
Jesus He Knows Me
I Can't Dance
Driving the Last Spike

Wilson Era:
Calling All Stations
Congo
Shipwrecked
Not About Us
The Dividing Line
There Must Be Some Other Way

Here's one example from each era of performances that could be recreated:

Gabriel:
Watcher of the Skies

Collins (Prog):
Entangled

Collins (Pop):
Mama

Wilson:
Congo

Extras could include interviews with the band, their thoughts on making this game, and even some performances of theirs.

My Biggest Argument:
What do you think about this awesome idea, and why the heck has it not even crossed their minds? Gabriel's costumes being recreated would show kids today what real music is, and this way, Genesis wouldn't have to worry about touring - all people who wanted to relive the concerts could watch the performances on the game. Also, tons of adults would buy it to reminisce and listen to great music, and I most certainly would buy it.

I hope Harmonix looks at this. This is a great idea.

So discuss this!

Comments

• soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited April 2011
    I would buy a Genesis Rock Band.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2011
    I don't think the Wilson era should be hugely represented outside of one or two songs. I like Genesis and would definitely buy this game. I don't see it happening however.
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370287 said:

Gabriel's costumes being recreated would show kids today what real music is
    And... that means what exactly? What do you define "fake" music?
    edited April 2011
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370312 said:
    Well, real music as in music that has meaning and expression. Like it was meant to. All today's music is about is sex and drugs..there's no real feeling to it. It's just not real like it was in the 60s-90s. That's kinda what I mean.
    I'm no fan of the mainstream music of today, but plenty of music from the 60s to the 90s was about sex and drugs.
  • edited April 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4370295 said:

And... that means what exactly? What do you define "fake" music?

Well, real music as in music that has meaning and expression. Like it was meant to. All today's music is about is sex and drugs..there's no real feeling to it. It's just not real like it was in the 60s-90s. That's kinda what I mean.
    edited April 2011
  • edited April 2011
    soup567;4370313 said:
    I'm no fan of the mainstream music of today, but plenty of music from the 60s to the 90s was about sex and drugs.

Well, that's true, but there was also talent. Talent isn't even required to be a singer today cause of Autotune. Take Rebecca Black for example.
    edited April 2011
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370317 said:
    Well, that's true, but there was also talent. Talent isn't even required to be a singer today cause of Autotune. Take Rebecca Black for example.

I will agree with that.
  • jbears1970jbears1970 Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    I would buy this just to play Suppers Ready, and would love to see Peter Gabriel in Rock Band. Huge fan of Genesis and Peter Gabriel - but not a wide enough audience to make it viable. Wish I was wrong.
    edited April 2011
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370314 said:
    You're acting like 100% of all songs past the 90s are about drugs. You are dead wrong.
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370317 said:
    Well, that's true, but there was also talent.

You've recklessly threw away all of the credit this thread has started with.
  • edited April 2011
    soup567;4370319 said:
    I will agree with that.

Exactly. Peter has an amazing voice and should be commended for that. Tony has amazing keyboard playing skills and should be commended for that. Mike has amazing bass playing skills and should be commended for that. Steve has amazing guitar playing skills and should be commended for that. And Phil has an amazing voice and drumming skills and should be commended for that. But are they today? NO, REBECCA BLACK IS COMMENDED FOR NOT HAVING TALENT! This is why I don't get mainstream music.
  • edited April 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4370329 said:
    You're acting like 100% of all songs past the 90s are about drugs. You are dead wrong.

You've recklessly threw away all of the credit this thread has started with.

Well, I don't think all songs past the 90s are about drugs, I like lots of songs from the 00s..just every song from the 10s is not worth listening to at all, unless you have any examples you'd like to share.

What do you mean, credit? I'm not allowed to have an opinion?
    edited April 2011
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370340 said:
    What do you mean, credit? I'm not allowed to have an opinion?
    If I had a dollar for every time somebody follows up saying this...
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370340 said:
    Well, I don't think all songs past the 90s are about drugs, I like lots of songs from the 00s..just every song from the 10s is not worth listening to at all, unless you have any examples you'd like to share.
    See, that's the problem, you're generalizing. Yes, of course one can be accustomed to know what bad music is, but throwing an entire decade and genre into that argument leaves nothing but questions. Yes I agree, there's nothing special about Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber and they're the next hottest thing, but I can sum those guys up in two words:

WHO CARES?

There was always music like this in any given decades, and that kind of music was most likely forgotten through the years. There was also an opposite spectrum of music that accommodates with it that's full of hidden talent. Genesis wasn't exactly big big during their prog days. Yes Genesis was an extraordinary progressive band and even when they've stepped out into the pop phase they were still decent. Foxtrot was only 1 of 8 albums I have given a perfect 5 out of 5 on my rateyourmusic account.

Speaking of which, if you're curious of an example, back to my rateyourmusic sentence, another progressive band's album shares a rating with Genesis's best album. Pure Reason Revolution, the album is The Dark Third, released in 2005. I guess that means the album has no talent or is about drugs. It isn't, that's stereotyping. I will admit I don't know much about the band's other work but I'm in the process of finding out more shortly. In a related category, there are also plenty of good modern progressive bands out there like Transatlantic, Beardfish, IQ, The Flower Kings, Nemo, Nosound, Gazpacho, etc.

I've listened to plenty of good 2011 albums, such as albums from bands like Grails, The Builders and the Butchers, Explosions in the Sky, Covenant, even the Foo Fighters.

Now, you're a Genesis fan. I can consider myself one too, probably not as big as you, but I can't help feel disappointed by all of what you're saying. Just consider what I've said that not all music is bad, and whatever is considered bad is generally found in any given decade and genre.
  • edited April 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4370355 said:
    If I had a dollar for every time somebody follows up saying this...

See, that's the problem, you're generalizing. Yes, of course one can be accustomed to know what bad music is, but throwing an entire decade and genre into that argument leaves nothing but questions. Yes I agree, there's nothing special about Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber and they're the next hottest thing, but I can sum those guys up in two words:

WHO CARES?

There was always music like this in any given decades, and that kind of music was most likely forgotten through the years. There was also an opposite spectrum of music that accommodates with it that's full of hidden talent. Genesis wasn't exactly big big during their prog days. Yes Genesis was an extraordinary progressive band and even when they've stepped out into the pop phase they were still decent. Foxtrot was only 1 of 8 albums I have given a perfect 5 out of 5 on my rateyourmusic account.

Speaking of which, if you're curious of an example, back to my rateyourmusic sentence, another progressive band's album shares a rating with Genesis's best album. Pure Reason Revolution, the album is The Dark Third, released in 2005. I guess that means the album has no talent or is about drugs. It isn't, that's stereotyping. I will admit I don't know much about the band's other work but I'm in the process of finding out more shortly. In a related category, there are also plenty of good modern progressive bands out there like Transatlantic, Beardfish, IQ, The Flower Kings, Nemo, Nosound, Gazpacho, etc.

I've listened to plenty of good 2011 albums, such as albums from bands like Grails, The Builders and the Butchers, Explosions in the Sky, Covenant, even the Foo Fighters.

Now, you're a Genesis fan. I can consider myself one too, probably not as big as you, but I can't help feel disappointed by all of what you're saying. Just consider what I've said that not all music is bad, and whatever is considered bad is generally found in any given decade and genre.

I understand what you're saying, and people have said it before in defense of music today. And I completely agree with it all. I just mean that, well, I AM generalizing. When so much of the mainstream music is crap, you tend to just kinda throw the whole year in music away..even one good song doesn't make up for it. What makes me most upset is that all the good songs are hidden behind mainstream crap. That's why I hate today's music. Everyone loves simplicity. No one likes meaningful songs anymore. The music broadcasted everywhere means nothing, and the songs that mean something are hidden. That's what I'm trying to say. I mean no disrespects to any good bands in any decade, it's just that mainstream is not helping music's image at all and it's very upsetting.
    edited April 2011
    In terms of 2010s musicians based on the radio. There's no need to count out Cee-Lo Green. He's a pretty darn good soul musician, yet he's always on the radio. So that's evidence that there will be at least one or two artists even, yes, even on the radio that one can consider good.

I've even grown accustomed to Rhianna and La Roux myself.
  • edited April 2011
    FlyGuyLXI;4370367 said:
    In terms of 2010s musicians based on the radio. There's no need to count out Cee-Lo Green. He's a pretty darn good soul musician, yet he's always on the radio. So that's evidence that there will be at least one or two artists even, yes, even on the radio that one can consider good.

I've even grown accustomed to Rhianna and La Roux myself.

True, true, I do like those three musicians and many others of today. But still, the most POPULAR ones are Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black, and they're just soiling music, so why do people even like them? That's the point I'm trying to make.
  • Pwnz0r3dPwnz0r3d Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Their main audience is tweens and children, except for rebecca black, cause i'm not even sure she has fans (i dont hate her, she seems like a nice girl thats being taken advantage of by her parents). The Bieb, to a lot of people, is great cause (god i cant believe im saying this) he has a nice voice and his looks appeal to younger people (and his origin story is inspiring to some)

Not all mainstream is bad. Hell mainstream isnt bad at all, its just personal preference. I enjoy listening to the radio unless Ke$ha comes on or if they play the same Lady Gaga song 6 times in an hour (love her to death, but i would get tired just like with any other artist.)

I can see what you're saying Friday, but like what FlyGuy is saying, you're just making sweeping generalizations that dont apply to every mainstream artist
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    OP: I find it hilarious that you are so distressed over the success of Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black (collectively known as "modern music") that you're apparently unaware that YYZ by Rush (on the DLC wishlist in your signature) has been available for about three years now. If you're trying to set a record for fastest loss of credibility, I must say you are off to an excellent start.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Wow....

And I was going to comment about how artist specific games are unnecessary but I instead see this thread going from one about Genesis to one about Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black.

Back to the original topic at hand, If a band centric game is the avenue to get Genesis into Rock Band, I am all for it though though the thought of failing a song because one was too busy laughing at Peter Gabriel's flower outfit would have to take some time to adjust to.
  • BissrokBissrok Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Two things:

1) Rock Band: Genesis would sell roughly ten copies. Because, aside from the band and a handful of people, no one wants that.

2) About 99% of the music from any decade is garbage. If you compare everything out today with a few of the best songs from the 60s or 70s (songs we've grown up listening to, at that), then yeah, it seems like we come up short. But if you ever go back and listen to some of the classic Top 20 shows they play on the radio now and again, you'll quickly see that not only was there a lot of garbage out there, but that it was way more popular than the decent stuff.
  • edited April 2011
    Hah, I love how this whole topic has gone from discussing Genesis to discussing mainstream. Thanks to those of you who are staying on topic.

@Numskull: It's funny you should say that, considering I don't even own Rock Band; I just play it all the time at a friend's. So I don't know what is or isn't on the game. I'm getting it at the end of this week.

@darkwinter: Hah, yeah, failing the song for a reason like that would be hilarious.

And the central reason for my bias, everyone, is that I was raised on The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and Yes and King Crimson..not Britney Spears or whomever was popular at that time. That's why I'm so opposed to mainstream. So, can we finally stop attacking me about my tastes in music and have every post from now on be only about the topic at hand? Thanks. :3
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370953 said:
    Hah, I love how this whole topic has gone from discussing Genesis to discussing mainstream.

You asked for it. Your high-and-mighty, sweeping generalizations on the first page set the tone and established you as someone whose views are not to be taken seriously.

On the subject of a Rock Band game dedicated to Genesis: No way. You are wildly overestimating the appeal of such a thing. Without MTV/Viacom's financial backing, there's no way Harmonix can afford to do any more single-band games for anyone other than Led Zeppelin and maybe Pink Floyd. Sad but true.
    edited April 2011
    GettingEmOutByFriday;4370953 said:

And the central reason for my bias, everyone, is that I was raised on The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and Yes and King Crimson..not Britney Spears or whomever was popular at that time. That's why I'm so opposed to mainstream. So, can we finally stop attacking me about my tastes in music and have every post from now on be only about the topic at hand? Thanks. :3

Amazing, you just continue. I've wasted 10 minutes on that post for nothing.