Rockband 3 vs. Rocksmith

sparkmansparkman Opening Act
edited April 2011 in Rock Band
Yo, theres gonna be a new music game in town in the fall and its gonna kick some f*cking ass. While powergig released last year had a real guitar to use with it, it had the 5 colors on the top of the neck, plus it looks like rock revolution. Rocksmith uses any (and i man any guitar) you have, it just plugs right into the system. while Rockband 3 is on top for music games, it may not be for long. So for the time being HMX should step it up with more stuff.

Pro upgrades on song export packs
Have a more balance with the years of dlc ( some old 70s/80s with new material)
What to you guys think for this, comment with other ideas.

Comments

• Funk-n-steinFunk-n-stein Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    Hey Ubisoft! Can you pay me to make unsubstantiated comments about how great Rocksmith is going to be too? That would be awesome, thanks!
  • Redskinsrock2689Redskinsrock2689 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    If this game is more popular that pro guitar on rb3, I will be shocked. The mustang and Squier combined solo like what, 50,000 units? maybe?
  • Odin ForceOdin Force Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Have we seen any actual game footage that isn't just people getting ready to play it?
  • don99913don99913 Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Well what music are they going to have?
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    sparkman;4373531 said:
    Rocksmith uses any (and i man any guitar) you have
    Spoiler alert: It cannot use any guitar, just some guitars. Acoustic and bass are not supported. They also said they don't recommend hybrid acoustic guitars (acoustic with a quarter inch plug).

Based on what we've all seen so far, Rocksmith is far less of a game than Rock Band 3, and more of a guitar trainer, which is fine for the people that want that.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    I smell spam. Yeah, I think Sparkman got paid to start this thread.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited April 2011
    Redskinsrock2689;4373606 said:
    If this game is more popular that pro guitar on rb3, I will be shocked. The mustang and Squier combined solo like what, 50,000 units? maybe?

I have a feeling it's going to sell waaaay more than the number of Mustangs+Squiers floating around. Unless it turns into a complete abomination, I plan on picking it up purely because it only has the software entry price, considering I already own a guitar.
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    sparkman;4373531 said:
    Yo, theres gonna be a new music game in town in the fall and its gonna kick some f*cking ass. While powergig released last year had a real guitar to use with it, it had the 5 colors on the top of the neck, plus it looks like rock revolution. Rocksmith uses any (and i man any guitar) you have, it just plugs right into the system. while Rockband 3 is on top for music games, it may not be for long. So for the time being HMX should step it up with more stuff.

Pro upgrades on song export packs
    Have a more balance with the years of dlc ( some old 70s/80s with new material)
    What to you guys think for this, comment with other ideas.

Hmmm...lets see.

1) Old news is old.
    2) False information.
    3) Old suggestions.

Great job Sparkman. 3 strikes and you are out.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    skyttskytt;4373733 said:
    I have a feeling it's going to sell waaaay more than the number of Mustangs+Squiers floating around. Unless it turns into a complete abomination, I plan on picking it up purely because it only has the software entry price, considering I already own a guitar.

There's still got to be some sort of hardware interface. The software can't magically detect what string you're plucking. And neither the PS3 nor Xbox 360 natively has a 1/4" patch cable jack.

You're probably looking at $60 for the software plus another $50 for whatever device interfaces between the guitar and the console.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Rocksmith is almost a joke to me. It'll be a failure, albeit with decent sales as there are plenty of people thinking it's going to be awesome despite lack of gameplay footage and realization that the system that'll be able to recognize your guitar will most likely be terribly wonky.

On top of that, it doesn't even support bass and will also not be supported post launch anywhere NEAR as well as RB3.

Go away, spambot.
    edited April 2011
    thatmarkguy;4373761 said:
    There's still got to be some sort of hardware interface. The software can't magically detect what string you're plucking. And neither the PS3 nor Xbox 360 natively has a 1/4" patch cable jack.

You're probably looking at $60 for the software plus another $50 for whatever device interfaces between the guitar and the console.

I think they've already said it's some usb adapter that they have, and that it's going to be sold as software+adapter and software+adapter+guitar. Either way, I plan on getting it, and if it's more expensive than I feel I should spend on it, I'll just wait for the price to drop.
  • celebritykillingspreecelebritykillingspree Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    This is great news. Why is everyone *****ing?

This means that if we get RB4 HMX has no choice now but to make it playable with any guitar, us fans don't have to complain about it to them anymore.

Though the fact that someone's done it in so short a time since Rocksmith was announced makes me all the more disappointed with the rush job that is RB3.
    edited April 2011
    celebritykillingspree;4373779 said:

This means that if we get RB4 HMX has no choice now but to make it playable with any guitar, us fans don't have to complain about it to them anymore.

Though the fact that someone's done it in so short a time since Rocksmith was announced makes me all the more disappointed with the rush job that is RB3.

First, it doesn't mean that RB4 has to work with any guitar. The Squier gives the player responses in real time, while Rocksmith may not. If the Rocksmith's feedback to the player is as good as RB's is, then yes HMX will need to work on the controller. There is a good chance that RB's feedback will be better and it will be Rocksmith that will need to redo their control scheme.

Also, and I could be wrong on this, it's my understanding that this game has been in development for years. It's only now being announce.
  • RednazRednaz Road Warrior
    edited April 2011

It's old news.

No, HMX doesn't have to do anything. I doubt you know why HMX didn't allow people to use any guitar in the first place, which could be the main problem of Rocksmith.

Done what in a short time? Made a game that uses any guitar? Most likely that has been in production for a while and only just recently announced.
    edited April 2011

Just because you can use any guitar doesn't mean you're going to be able to do every single thing we can currently do with RB3. It's likely not going to be anywhere near as strict or precise for game purposes.
    edited April 2011
    skyttskytt;4373733 said:

I agree, it should outsell Squiers and Mustangs. However, that kind of like saying the sun will rise in the morning.
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    this means that if we get rb4 hmx has no choice now but to make it playable with any guitar, us fans don't have to complain about it to them anymore.

bahahahahaha

Plus, there is a really good reason RB3 is limited to special guitars. Maybe we see it in the future, but you lose what makes RB3's representation in Pro Guitar a unique one.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited April 2011
    Yo Rocksmith! So far your track list consists of 6 songs only 2 from this decade. Rock Band had 3 songs from this decade come out this week! (18 so far this year) Find a better argument than old 70's/80's songs, k.
  • zachgtzachgt Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    I will definitely be giving Rocksmith consideration when it comes out. I would like to see user reviews and track listing before purchasing. If it is less than purchasing a Mustang and/or a Squier ( I already have a couple guitars that I can't use with RB3) I will probably get it for the PC. RB3 will remain the superior product with all the available play options (drums, vocals, keys, etc.) and vast catalog.

Of course if Rocksmith announces Muse as a featured artist..... :rolleyes:
  • Funk-n-steinFunk-n-stein Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    I too will be giving it consideration when it comes out or there's some reasonable public info on how it works, how well it works, etc. Right now it's all hype and vaporware.
  • m_estockm_estock Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    There are going to be major problems with RockSmith.

It's going to rely on the note information coming from your guitar. What it has to do is "decode" the audio from your guitar and turn it into game data. So if your guitar isn't tuned just the way RockSmith needs it to be tuned, then you've got problems. Furthermore, how is this thing going to decode chords? Problems all over the place, just think about it.
  • uprkdarkwolfuprkdarkwolf Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    No bass support, no sale for me.

Speaking of which:

Yo FENDER!!! Get to it!!!
  • thestickmasterthestickmaster Rising Star
    edited April 2011
    lvmathemagician;4373682 said:
    I smell spam. Yeah, I think Sparkman got paid to start this thread.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Rock Band 3 is already better because:

- multiplayer
    - multiple instruments
    - huge song library

... and more.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    lvmathemagician;4373783 said:
    First, it doesn't mean that RB4 has to work with any guitar. The Squier gives the player responses in real time, while Rocksmith may not. If the Rocksmith's feedback to the player is as good as RB's is, then yes HMX will need to work on the controller. There is a good chance that RB's feedback will be better and it will be Rocksmith that will need to redo their control scheme.

Exactly my thoughts. Since I play REAL guitar and bass through Guitar Rig, and the main problem is the delay, I think that it will really be a problem on Rocksmith.

That said, I think that I'll give it a try, but since Ubisoft have ZERO experience on music/rythm games, I seriously doubt that will be perfect.
    zachgt;4373861 said:

Of course if Rocksmith announces Muse as a featured artist..... :rolleyes:

Or led zeppelin.

I seriously think that some artist are that stupid to give their rights to unknown games rather than solid franchise (I'm looking at you, Eric Clapton)
  • thefncrowthefncrow Opening Act
    edited April 2011

Rocksmith is the continuation of a project called Guitar Rising, which was announced in 2007 and disappeared into the ether for a number of years until Rocksmith was announced a month or so back.

You can't really give them credit for "coming up with something so quickly" on a 4+ year old project.
  • daveschmackoesdaveschmackoes Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    "Slow Hands"[5] Interpol
    "In Bloom" Nirvana
    "Chimney" The Yellow Moon Band
    "House of the Rising Sun" The Animals
    "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"The Rolling Stones
    "When I'm With You" Best Coast

Thats the confirmed setlist so far for rocksmith

so rb3 should get pro guitar dlc next week for

"In Bloom" Nirvana (rb3 version)
    "House of the Rising Sun" The Animals
    "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" The Rolling Stones
  • Darky_06Darky_06 Opening Act
    edited April 2011
    Not holding my breath for it tbh, it comes out around sept/oct so it's 5 months away and there is still no actual info about it other than a few non-gameplay trailers and a bunch of hype media releases.

If the game devs are making concious decisions not to show their game in action so close to release then there's a reason behind it.
  • karaokefreakkaraokefreak Road Warrior
    edited April 2011
    Here is a video that shows a little gameplay (work in progress)
    Though the notation for chords is kinda nice, since it shows finger positions nicely, I don't like the overall style of the notation. I can't imagine having quick 16th chords coming there

anyway, take a look
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1FaWU6Y3Q
  • Han DaimondHan Daimond Letdown
    edited April 2011
    Wait... it will have "The House of the Rising Sun", "Slow Hands" and "Satisfaction"?! HMX! What the hell are you doing?!
This discussion has been closed.